Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: Against the House - 06/25 - Mega-Event Part 3

ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in The Bridge
Event Name: Against the House
Event Type: Galaxy Event
Event Crew: Doctor Van Gogh 5* (New), Karyn Archer 4* (New), and Obrist 4* (Existing)
Event Dates: Thursday 06/25 until Monday 06/29 at noon (16.00 UTC)

Ranked Reward 5*: Krenim Guest Chakotay (New) - this crew will be featured event crew in the event starting on 07/02.

Mega-Event recurring featured crew: Suspiria 5* (Existing)

Event Factions:
Federation, Terran Empire

Bonus crew:
• high bonus: event crew, and Suspiria
• small bonus: variants of the Doctor (EMH), and crew with the Warp Theorist or Caregiver trait.

Comments

• Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. Thanks for the early information. Looking forward to the new 4*. And Chakotay will be good.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, for those who have to look her up (like I did), Karyn Archer was one of Archer's descendants from "E2" (which was one of the other proposed themes for this mega).
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. Thanks for the early information. Looking forward to the new 4*. And Chakotay will be good.

I'm thinking Chakotay will be some combination of CMD/DIP/SCI. Definitely not helpful to my roster. At least the two good legendaries are really good. I might do 130k and out next week, unless I'm wrong about the legendary.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking Chakotay will be some combination of CMD/DIP/SCI. Definitely not helpful to my roster. At least the two good legendaries are really good. I might do 130k and out next week, unless I'm wrong about the legendary.

I can understand that combo. Maybe DIP/SCI/SEC, but certainly both DIP and SCI should be present.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    FYI, for those who have to look her up (like I did), Karyn Archer was one of Archer's descendants from "E2" (which was one of the other proposed themes for this mega).

I kinda think the list of options we voted on, already had all the same new crew designed and ready to go. Except maybe the Recurring. Since there was such a short interval between the vote and the Mega.

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    robownage wrote: »

I kinda think the list of options we voted on, already had all the same new crew designed and ready to go. Except maybe the Recurring. Since there was such a short interval between the vote and the Mega.

They may have had a few ready to go. But there haven't been enough tribbles to say they were going to use the same crew. But I do think they had a couple made up for each scenario. Tribbles may come out later or be saved for a future mega event.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone want to take odds and see if TP will actually be consistent and provide KG Chakotay the Diplomat trait like they did for KG Paris?
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably one of the only times Chakotay was relatively interesting, so I'm down with this variant.
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chakotay was severely under utilized. :(

He may have the least character development of any main cast outside of Enterprise.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options

He may have the least character development of any main cast outside of Enterprise.

Tuvok was under utilized as well. Voyager spent far too much time on Paris.

we’ll always have paris......
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options

Pluto TV was doing a Star Trek United marathon the other night. I saw like the last ten minutes of an episode where Chakotay had been captured by aliens and brainwashed to fight their war for them. If anyone knows what it is called, I would definitely like to see the rest, when I get NetFlix or CBS again.

If the whole thing was as well written as the end, I think it might be a great Chakotay episode......

• Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Pluto TV was doing a Star Trek United marathon the other night. I saw like the last ten minutes of an episode where Chakotay had been captured by aliens and brainwashed to fight their war for them. If anyone knows what it is called, I would definitely like to see the rest, when I get NetFlix or CBS again.

If the whole thing was as well written as the end, I think it might be a great Chakotay episode......

@DScottHewitt It's called Nemesis if I remember well.

I think that Chakotay's character was very underused, but the same goes for Kim, Kes and to some degree Tuvok. Maybe that happens in most shows that have lots of different protagonists.
    Tuvok had no real character development but at least he had some interesting episodes. Kim got all the weird romantic stuff. Kes and Chakotay really weren't explored at all, except for those couple of episodes with Kes that come right before the one where she's just ejected from the show and her character arc is abandonded midway.
    There are episodes with Chakotay as a protagonist, but somehow when watching them I never felt like I was getting to know something relevant about the character. Maybe that has to do with his performance too. I think I read somewhere that Beltran was so annoyed by the writing that he intentionally did a poor acting job.
  • Options
    TarisTaris ✭✭✭
    Nice, a new Chakotay. I agree that he was severely underused. It would have been cool if they showed more of his spiritual side and growth instead of just a few "my people have a saying" or "my people have this ritual" lines here and there. Very few episodes actually delved into that. I always enjoyed the spiritual/religious episodes of Trek. It's one of the reasons I love DS9, for all the episodes revolving around Bajoran beliefs.
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that Chakotay's character was very underused, but the same goes for Kim, Kes and to some degree Tuvok. Maybe that happens in most shows that have lots of different protagonists.
    Tuvok had no real character development but at least he had some interesting episodes. Kim got all the weird romantic stuff. Kes and Chakotay really weren't explored at all, except for those couple of episodes with Kes that come right before the one where she's just ejected from the show and her character arc is abandonded midway.
    There are episodes with Chakotay as a protagonist, but somehow when watching them I never felt like I was getting to know something relevant about the character. Maybe that has to do with his performance too. I think I read somewhere that Beltran was so annoyed by the writing that he intentionally did a poor acting job.

Here you go, good interview with RB...

https://www.startrek.com/article/catching-up-with-robert-beltran-part-1
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options

Here you go, good interview with RB...

https://www.startrek.com/article/catching-up-with-robert-beltran-part-1

Chakotay was the most criminally underused main character in all of Trek (all due respect to Hoshi and Travis). So much potential...not to say that I’m upset at the development of Seven or The Doctor, I very much appreciated those stories, just that there was time to spend on everyone else and the writers chose to ignore most of them.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the doctor was way over-used. Kim and Paris were only there to fill catch-all plot and comic relief needs. Tuvok was well-designed and well-acted and also consistent. The issue with his character was that his only real purpose was to give logical advice to Janeway which she promptly ignored. Chakotay had immense potential, but he was in a command position and had the unfortunate disadvantage of being a male on Voyager. The writers of Voyager rightly wanted to show female empowerment. This is good. However, if the main issue was a choice between the male's suggestion and the female's suggestion, the female character was always right. This was Chakotay's problem. He could not be right if it disagreed with Janeway, and if he agreed with her, then he was over-shadowed. Don't get me wrong and start flaming me, I think shows should be presenting intelligent and effective females. I've been showing my daughters Voyager episodes instead of others because there are more characters they can look up to. Chakotay had an amazing backstory that had great potential, but we almost never see that man. Instead we see an effective yes-man who is also a skilled diplomat and peace-maker.
  • Options
    I think they could have done better with Kes. A race that only lives 8-10 years and that was the best they could do? Strong start and strong premise. Weak follow through.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Star Trek has always been pretty uneven with its ensemble casts. TOS and ENT are the least balanced in my opinion, and VOY isn't far behind.

This isn't always a problem, but I do enjoy the more balanced series more.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options

That actually makes a lot of sense. Once the almost-romantic-fling with Janeway is over, Seska is gone and Torres is married to Paris, he doesn't seem to have any significant relationships to any of the other characters. Given their situation and his personality, you would expect him to bond with someone, as a friend or a mentor, but until his relationship with Seven starts, he doesn't seem to have any kind of meaningful connection to any of the other characters.

• Options
    Star Trek has always been pretty uneven with its ensemble casts. TOS and ENT are the least balanced in my opinion, and VOY isn't far behind.

TOS certainly did spend time focusing primarily on the Big Three but I think they did a much better job of giving time to the rest of the bridge crew than Enterprise did...Enterprise tried the same approach with Archer, Trip, and T’Pol as the featured crew but only really gave Phlox and Reed much attention beyond that.

TNG and DS9 did a phenomenal job of giving each member of the ensemble cast some love and attention throughout their runs. Even someone minor like Nog ended up being beautifully developed, and thus set a real high bar that Voyager, Enterprise, and Discovery were unable to meet.

Speaking of Discovery...that’s more lopsided than ever before. Burnham is the center of the universe, Tyler/Saru/Tilly/Pike/Lorca (and sometimes Stamets and Georgiou) revolve around her, and everyone else is an appendage. Hopefully that will change in season 3.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I think the doctor was way over-used. Kim and Paris were only there to fill catch-all plot and comic relief needs. Tuvok was well-designed and well-acted and also consistent. The issue with his character was that his only real purpose was to give logical advice to Janeway which she promptly ignored. Chakotay had immense potential, but he was in a command position and had the unfortunate disadvantage of being a male on Voyager. The writers of Voyager rightly wanted to show female empowerment. This is good. However, if the main issue was a choice between the male's suggestion and the female's suggestion, the female character was always right. This was Chakotay's problem. He could not be right if it disagreed with Janeway, and if he agreed with her, then he was over-shadowed. Don't get me wrong and start flaming me, I think shows should be presenting intelligent and effective females. I've been showing my daughters Voyager episodes instead of others because there are more characters they can look up to. Chakotay had an amazing backstory that had great potential, but we almost never see that man. Instead we see an effective yes-man who is also a skilled diplomat and peace-maker.

I agree Chakotay was under used but I disagree that he was over shadowed or a yes man. The role of first officer is to support the captain and maintain discipline. Chakotay did this perfectly. He was the main reason the maquis and Federation crew worked together so well. He was very good at supporting Captain Janeway in public like a first officer should while also excellent at getting her to modify her plans in private when necessary as is the duty of first officer. Like when Captain Janeway wanted to go after the Omega particles with just herself and Seven but Chakotay convinced her to use the whole crew with only the command staff having knowledge of the top secret particle. Chakotay’s personality perfectly complemented Janeway’s and he was instrumental in helping her keep going and not being overwhelmed by the stress and guilt of being a lone captain separated from help and having to make tough choices. Chakotay was superb at soft diplomacy but when necessary he could use force like when he stopped Seska and brought the ship back into one timeline in “Shattered.” He was no yes man.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options

TOS certainly did spend time focusing primarily on the Big Three but I think they did a much better job of giving time to the rest of the bridge crew than Enterprise did...Enterprise tried the same approach with Archer, Trip, and T’Pol as the featured crew but only really gave Phlox and Reed much attention beyond that.

TNG and DS9 did a phenomenal job of giving each member of the ensemble cast some love and attention throughout their runs. Even someone minor like Nog ended up being beautifully developed, and thus set a real high bar that Voyager, Enterprise, and Discovery were unable to meet.

Speaking of Discovery...that’s more lopsided than ever before. Burnham is the center of the universe, Tyler/Saru/Tilly/Pike/Lorca (and sometimes Stamets and Georgiou) revolve around her, and everyone else is an appendage. Hopefully that will change in season 3.

I hold out hope that Season Three will be more of an ensemble show, as was originally planned. However, the trailer is very Micky heavy..........

• Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    Studios tend to have a "just give them ice cream" mentality. If a character is trending they push the show to focus on it. Because they aren't writers they don't always quite understand that even if something is special, you can get bored with it if it's all you get.

Kate Mulgrew is also to blame. Much like Shatner, she abused her position to get the writers to give her character more, and to take potentially significant plot points from others. Jeri Ryan has been fairly open these days about how difficult it was to work with Kate. She was extremely jealous of the popularity of Seven. As much as I love watching them, Kate and Bill were stage hogs.
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I used Ryan as an example, others have also had similar stories. She may not have been as bad as Bill, but she abused her position and SHE has acknowledged it, not just as related to Jeri Ryan. Your defense is pointless and undermined by Kate herself. Lead actors leaning on the writing room is an industry standard. No one is a saint, no one is a devil, they are all trying to build careers, and they all have artistic opinions. Even Patrick Stewart and Scott did it.
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I agree that Kate Mulgrew's treatment of Jery Ryan was extremely unfair, but if she put some pressure on the writers to have a say in the way her character was developed, then I can understand that and I like the results.
    Starting with season 4, Voyager's lead effectively became Seven + The Doctor. That worked, but I can see why it would annoy her.
    And her character arc is a good one. She's a lot more interesting in the later seasons than in the first two, when apparently she didn't voice her opinions to the writers yet. People complain about the fact that Janeway almost turns into a "villain" as the show progresses, but that's probably the one thing where Voyager lived up to its premise of showing a bunch of people lost in an unfamiliar and dangerous place, facing difficult decisions and knowing that they might never see their families again. She's the only character who actually shows the consequences of that and has to deal with them. If that was her influence on the writers then I'm happy about it.