Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: Against the House - 06/25 - Mega-Event Part 3

Comments

• Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of Discovery...that’s more lopsided than ever before. Burnham is the center of the universe, Tyler/Saru/Tilly/Pike/Lorca (and sometimes Stamets and Georgiou) revolve around her, and everyone else is an appendage. Hopefully that will change in season 3.
    DIS doesn't bother me here. There's no question that Burnham is the main character, and the heavy serialization hurt here. However, I think they managed to flesh out the rest of the main cast quite well. Culber is something of an exception, but he wasn't around for a fair chunk of time.

As an example, Lorca gets more development in one season than Mayweather or Sato did in four, and quite possibly Chakotay or Kim in seven.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    During a mega-event, isn't there supposed to be more carryover from one week to the next? To be specific: when will we get the chance to try out Kestra? She should be in fine form and ready for action by the end of Web of Lies, and yet she's not listed as event crew for Against the House...
    "We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

"The eyes...are the groin...of the face." ~ Dwight K. Schrute III
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait for discovery. Hopefully they keep the look of classic aliens. Look great.
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    We never learned Airiam’s first name. Culber existed primarily as a vehicle for developing Stamets, and beyond “he’s having a rough time dealing with being brought back from the dead by magic space fungus” had zero development whatsoever. We get a little backstory for Owo but then nothing happens to her beyond that and we know even less of Detmer. We know Pike is a legend coming in but he doesn’t do much beyond having to deal with seeing his future. Even Lorca’s “development” was little more than a surprise heel turn from “Starfleet captain willing to bend the rules to get results” to “Mirror Universe villain without a goatee.” And Reno hasn’t had enough screen time for much beyond establishing her personality anyway.

Saru and Tyler are the only ones that show any meaningful development. Tilly gets more confident and less spastic, Stamets deals with having his life’s work used for nefarious purposes and losing and regaining the love of his life, and Mirror Georgiou’s rough edges get filed off a bit. For people who don’t find Michael’s character compelling, that’s not much to go on...

Ah, we're using "main cast" differently. I'm only considering the folks listed in the opening credits. In addition to Burnham, I believe that list is:

Tyler
    Saru
    Stamets
    Tilly
    Pike
    Lorca
    Culber

With the exception of Culber, everyone on this list gets a fair amount of screen time. Saru and Tyler get a lot more than say, Tilly, but I'd say they're all doing better than some of the lesser seen main cast in other series.

DISC does have a lot of recurring crew who aren't part of the main cast. With quite a number of DIS main cast unlikely to be seen again, at least in DIS itself, I wouldn't be surprised to see Owo, Detmer, Reno, or Nhan upgraded down the line.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    During a mega-event, isn't there supposed to be more carryover from one week to the next? To be specific: when will we get the chance to try out Kestra? She should be in fine form and ready for action by the end of Web of Lies, and yet she's not listed as event crew for Against the House...

Although there usually is more carryover, it's never been guaranteed. There are plenty of examples of this in previous megas, and while this one has been particularly egregious for this issue, the way this mega has been structured also means it basically doesn't matter. The only event type where one consistently uses non-featured is Factions. There's no reason to use a non-featured crew in Skirmishes, and in Galaxies the featured crew still tend to be stronger than the bonus crew, unless you have a strong gold. Since the only Faction this mega was the first week, the forums have been quieter than usual about the lack of carryover.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »

Although there usually is more carryover, it's never been guaranteed. There are plenty of examples of this in previous megas, and while this one has been particularly egregious for this issue, the way this mega has been structured also means it basically doesn't matter. The only event type where one consistently uses non-featured is Factions. There's no reason to use a non-featured crew in Skirmishes, and in Galaxies the featured crew still tend to be stronger than the bonus crew, unless you have a strong gold. Since the only Faction this mega was the first week, the forums have been quieter than usual about the lack of carryover.

This. My helper spreadsheet says that it wasn’t worth keeping any of my freezer warriors out for next week’s event, and that’s without any stats for Karyn Archer at all and no stats entered for Doctor Van Gogh (I have no intention of trying to score a couple million VP in the next half hour). Obrist and Karyn will be more than enough, with a little help from the 5* bonus crew that I either use regularly anyway or don’t yet have fully fused. I would be highly doubtful that the final week would be any different.
  • Options
    Really liking the new Skirmish mechanics. Kinda expecting the galaxy portion of the galaxy/skirmish to be REAL slow though. Like, wonder if we’ll hit the Community awards
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really liking the new Skirmish mechanics. Kinda expecting the galaxy portion of the galaxy/skirmish to be REAL slow though. Like, wonder if we’ll hit the Community awards

If Chakotay's stats are as boring as I expect, then you could be right about it being slow. Chakotay isn't really a fan favorite, so lousy stats would make even less appealing.

Personally, I think a best case scenario would be DIP/SCI with both bases over 1,100. He'll never get citations from me if he gets a rare skill combo, so hopefully they give him use during Chakotay events.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chakotay's best episode was when Tuvok was writing for his character and it wasn't even REALLY Chakotay in "Worst Case Scenario"
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking about that since the schedule was announced. If a lot of players save chrons for the skirmish half, we could miss the community rewards for the first time in a long time.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    AviTrek wrote: »

I've been thinking about that since the schedule was announced. If a lot of players save chrons for the skirmish half, we could miss the community rewards for the first time in a long time.

If it all depended on me we would for sure. Like in every Galaxy I will only do one recipe, two if the first does not crit. But the Galaxy rewards mean few to me. The pull is honor anyway in most cases and the 4th star will certainly drop from the recap packs.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless I'm mis-remembering, it was never promoted as a "Voyager mega". The players speculated on how the mega would play out based on a theme phrase. Any expectations I/you/we have is entirely on us.

Actually, the players did choose this mega’s theme to be based on an episode of Voyager:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/16254/players-choice-mega-event-and-players-choice-crew

What people so often seem to forget is that every mega event has included crew from multiple series. Sometimes the theme has been more cohesive, other times less so. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless I'm mis-remembering, it was never promoted as a "Voyager mega". The players speculated on how the mega would play out based on a theme phrase. Any expectations I/you/we have is entirely on us.

Actually, the players did choose this mega’s theme to be based on an episode of Voyager:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/16254/players-choice-mega-event-and-players-choice-crew

What people so often seem to forget is that every mega event has included crew from multiple series. Sometimes the theme has been more cohesive, other times less so. 🖖

Normally, the NEW crew fit either the theme of the mega event or the bonus trait(s). Personally, I have no such expectations for the existing SR's. This mega event, there have been new crew that are neither Voyage crew, nor will they get a trait bonus. That's where this mega event deviates from expectations. The only event where the bonus crew really mattered was week 1. So I really don't care game-wise that the new crew won't get a bonus. It's a bit of a bummer that the only timeline where ensign Kim had a meaningful relationship didn't get represented in the game. And I'm sure others were looking for their favorite crew/moments as well. Basically, this mega event hasn't met expectations set by previous mega events. Not because of any perceived promises from the devs, but just a general comparison to what has come before.

I don't think that warrants any hostility from the community. As long as we stick to giving constructive feedback, I think it will help the devs make better mega events moving forward.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    There have been a couple of mega-events where I've felt "let's just get it over with" ... this is one of them.

- I see no connection with the crew/theme

- The schedule is gruelling ... with a galaxy and galaxy/skirmish hybrid coming up that is a lot of grinding, even to just make thresholds.

- With the trait bonuses ... I only defrosted Mintakan Troi for week one (she's back in the freezer now) ... there's no crew management requirements during the weekends ... e.g. can I use them for Voyages or will I need them for the event? I accidentally sent an immortal Twilight T'Pol on a 10 hr voyage in week 1 ... with no real side-effects to my event ranking.

All that and it seemed like the mega had so much potential ... interesting traits with little-used/value crew, possibilities of a fun 5* etc. etc.

So ... in the end, I'm more interested in what the flashback/rerun will be after week 4 and opening post-mega packs so I can just freeze some new event crew (including Suspiria).

I'm inclined to agree. At this point, the most exciting thing about this Mega is the gamble of pulling Suspiria in the recap packs after she became only the second recurring legendary I didn't immediately cite (and Minuet did eventually get a citation around week 3, which definitely won't happen for Suspiria as I just spent all my honor on Medic Reno).

It's hardly the end of the world that this Mega has been a bit of a dud, but it is a bit disappointing that its happened with the player's choice based around one of Voyager's strongest episodes. Perhaps we should have voted for E2 as the theme.
  • Options
    @RaraRacing , I'm hoping for "Research Partners" as the re-run/flashback after the mega. Then, we can get some Mutated Paris's to fuse with the Captain Janeways from week one!
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    robownage wrote: »
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    There have been a couple of mega-events where I've felt "let's just get it over with" ... this is one of them.

- I see no connection with the crew/theme

- The schedule is gruelling ... with a galaxy and galaxy/skirmish hybrid coming up that is a lot of grinding, even to just make thresholds.

- With the trait bonuses ... I only defrosted Mintakan Troi for week one (she's back in the freezer now) ... there's no crew management requirements during the weekends ... e.g. can I use them for Voyages or will I need them for the event? I accidentally sent an immortal Twilight T'Pol on a 10 hr voyage in week 1 ... with no real side-effects to my event ranking.

All that and it seemed like the mega had so much potential ... interesting traits with little-used/value crew, possibilities of a fun 5* etc. etc.

So ... in the end, I'm more interested in what the flashback/rerun will be after week 4 and opening post-mega packs so I can just freeze some new event crew (including Suspiria).

I'm inclined to agree. At this point, the most exciting thing about this Mega is the gamble of pulling Suspiria in the recap packs after she became only the second recurring legendary I didn't immediately cite (and Minuet did eventually get a citation around week 3, which definitely won't happen for Suspiria as I just spent all my honor on Medic Reno).

It's hardly the end of the world that this Mega has been a bit of a dud, but it is a bit disappointing that its happened with the player's choice based around one of Voyager's strongest episodes. Perhaps we should have voted for E2 as the theme.

Ditto.
    @RaraRacing , I'm hoping for "Research Partners" as the re-run/flashback after the mega. Then, we can get some Mutated Paris's to fuse with the Captain Janeways from week one!

That would be nice! Any Faction re-run would help speed up completing one of the temporary achievements for Homesteader Janeway, so why not that one?
    🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both Chakotay and Karyn are CMD, DIP and SCI.
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone want to take odds and see if TP will actually be consistent and provide KG Chakotay the Diplomat trait like they did for KG Paris?

Krenim Guest Chakotay (New) - this crew will be featured event crew in the event starting on 07/02.
    Fully Fused Fully Equipped Level 100 Skills: CMD 498 (95-241), DIP 1003 (120-291), SCI 1281 (194-460)
    Traits: Human, Maquis, Federation, Starfleet, Diplomat, Prisoner

You called it :o
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

hehe ... I hope so for you and others ... "unfortunately" I've already got Evolved Janeway immortalised :)

Well ... that makes Chakotay fairly unique in being one of a very limited number of crew available in all * rarities and with all skills.
    Others would be Riker (Bashir doesn't have a 2* variant) ... and that's about it? EDIT: Spock naturally, the guy can do everything. :)

I guess that's something ... :)
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to split too many hairs here, but so far we've seen Linnis Paris, Grandmother Kes, Captain Janeway, Doctor Van Gogh, Suspiria, and Obrist - all Voyager, no?

I don't find the characters or the storyline to be disappointing (and I wasn't much of a VOY fan). I think the discontent stems from the mega structure (which has been discussed several times already) in that the trait-themed crew were/are unnecessary after week 1, making this less of a crew-cohesive mega event than usual.

Peregrin, I concede your earlier point that we did vote for this, but as we've seen in the past, DB/TP are more than willing to use creative license to take a general theme in whatever direction they see fit.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to split too many hairs here, but so far we've seen Linnis Paris, Grandmother Kes, Captain Janeway, Doctor Van Gogh, Suspiria, and Obrist - all Voyager, no?

I don't find the characters or the storyline to be disappointing (and I wasn't much of a VOY fan). I think the discontent stems from the mega structure (which has been discussed several times already) in that the trait-themed crew were/are unnecessary after week 1, making this less of a crew-cohesive mega event than usual.

Peregrin, I concede your earlier point that we did vote for this, but as we've seen in the past, DB/TP are more than willing to use creative license to take a general theme in whatever direction they see fit.

It's also that the crew haven't even had the featured traits. It hasn't mattered because of event type, but from a gameplay perspective this hasn't been a mega event. It's 4 unconnected events that all have had an extra 5* crew.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

I've never watched Voyager, so don't really know crew from that show (just what I've read on the wiki) ... my beef with the story is ...

At the end of Pt 1 Kes was about to tell us something about Suspiria because Linnis told us she had vital information for us ... Pt 2 had literally nothing to do with pt 1, we were suddenly zipped off into some space battle ... waha? What in the world do Tholians have to do with this? How is this linked in with warp theorists and caretakers (crew that are useless for 3 of the events)?
    This is a case of just slotting any event in and doing a copy/paste of Suspiria's name in the one blank during the dialogue choices. This event could have been written months ago ... neither Dahj, Kestra or the Tholian seem to have any connection with anything, where did they come from?

And then this week we're whisked off to an Assembly where it looks like Obrist is a speaker. Did the Ferengi (a faction in pt 1), with their endless obsession with latinum, ignite a spark that set off the Tholian Assembly?

I don't really mind if new crew are not useful during the rest of a mega ... I mean maybe they bring a different skillset to the table to help out in one specific case that for example warp theorists and caretakers might need help with (e.g. a little fighting/commanding spirit) ... as long as there's some kind of storyline linking what is happening.

I mean, week 4 can tie up all the loose ends and we'll be like "aahh, that's what was going on ... let me "rewatch" the first episodes again to see where I missed some clues or foreshadowing of what eventually came to pass ... maybe some of the Maquis shuttle mission texts held vital clues to how the story would develop? (but then what do Ferengi and Bajorans have to do with all this?)".

Anyway, rant over. :)
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does the new Chakotay fit in voyage skills and with other crew? Is he worth the fight?
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    How does the new Chakotay fit in voyage skills and with other crew? Is he worth the fight?

At a glance he appears to be an invert of temperal prisoner skills. I would assume he will be roughly the same as Riker Odan. How many people run a ship with position to trigger his 10% to atk speed?