Home Strange New Worlds
Options

Solely in the TV Series, which is Your Favorite New Discovery Character?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Michael Burnham
    Ultimately, I selected Michael Burnham on the basis that I'm most invested in her out of everyone, which of course is a direct result of so much of the show being based around her. I did have to stop and think about it for a bit first, though, because I really dig this entire cast. I felt more strongly invested in this core group of characters than I felt for the VOY or ENT ensembles, even by the end of their respective series. That's not a slam; I genuinely do like them, too. I just didn't feel as connected or as interested in what became of them.

I think the Disco writers and cast have done one specific thing remarkably well in such short time, and that's been to establish unique dynamics to each relationship. They aren't interchangeable, which is often the case for a new TV series, as everyone tries to find their footing. There are obviously certain kinds of things that have to be delivered by one character because of the character's function within the show (i.e., Stamets will be explaining spore drive stuff, not Tyler), but as far as the character growth content, it already makes a world of difference whether Burnham is having a soul searching moment with Saru or with Tilly.

Lastly, the Burnham & Tilly relationship is easily my favorite Trek relationship since O'Brien & Bashir. I enjoy watching them together, particularly when Burnham is in mentor mode or when Tilly is in misguided cheerleader mode.
  • Options
    Sylvia Tilly
    Hot redhead. Need I say more?
  • Options
    Hugh Culber
    I chose Hugh because I like his character and outfit more than others though Tilly comes in at second, well, third really. My actual first choice isn’t listed here and that would be Admiral Katrina Cornwell. Or as DB would probably list her, Prisoner Vice Admiral Katrina Cornwell. Definitely my favorite and I’m not sure why, but I think she might be some long lost ancestor of Janeway, lol.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.