Home The Bridge

Inventory cap? Discard or replicate?

Just trying to figure out what the benefit of discarding items from the inventory is over making replicator rations. Doesn't make sense to me why you would discard them. Also, is there any way of knowing which items/equipment are no longer needed? E.g. immortalised a crew and get another equipment for that character. I hope this make sense. 👍

Comments

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just trying to figure out what the benefit of discarding items from the inventory is over making replicator rations. Doesn't make sense to me why you would discard them. Also, is there any way of knowing which items/equipment are no longer needed? E.g. immortalised a crew and get another equipment for that character. I hope this make sense. 👍

Make Rep Rats. Why just throw away stuff you can turn into stuff Crew needs?
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    The benefit is that you can actually identify the item because it shows the name - which seems somehow near impossible to implement when you replicate or convert to replicator rations.

Let's say you have Lursa and B'etor duras frozen, the sisters built and will never need equipment for them again. Yet dabo and campaign crates happily award you e.g. lursa's disruptor. Which you can't identify visually because it looks like the other klingon disruptors. You can go through the equipment, tap on that klingon disruptor and see it is lursa's. Now you either discard it or try to find it when you replicate...

I just use the same trick when I replicate regular items - load them into the hopper, tap on the Replicate button, then tap on each unknown item in the “are you sure about this” screen before continuing.

The reason I prefer to do inventory dumps by replicating gold equipment rather than replicator rations is that I don’t need more rations:

hkldma6jw0ia.png
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't bother with either, actually. I have plenty of replicator rations and don't need more. I was 46 items over last I checked, but you have seven days to use it or get it in before you lose it. I play daily, so I'm constantly using stuff. If it is in the overflow, I've used it- no big deal. If it was in the inventory to begin with, the oldest item in overflow drops in the empty spot- one less to worry about. I've never lost anything. Nothing has been in overflow longer than a day and a half and that was a busy weekend and a migraine's doing. I've had a few reruns where I've had the SR item already in my inventory for a nice kickstart. I might reevaluate if something changes, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe we'll get a fleet shop where you can list surplus equipment and schematics someday. Buying and selling or trading at fixed rates could be interesting.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • The only advantage of discarding them is that it takes less time and effort. But I'd say that, in general, if you have useless crew-specific 0* or 1* items and you're close to the inventory cap, it makes sense to just discard them. It's not like they're particularly useful for the replicator anyway at that rarity.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the App that usually can go through your inventory and tell you what you don't need? I say usually, because it recommended I dump some Legendary gear from Events that I still needed for 4 🌟 Crew from Events that did not use it yet.......

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the App that usually can go through your inventory and tell you what you don't need? I say usually, because it recommended I dump some Legendary gear from Events that I still needed for 4 🌟 Crew from Events that did not use it yet.......

That would be DataCore. 🤞

I still create gold replicator rations from useless stuff, because I am nowhere near 32,767 on those or any other color.

If WRG would just fix things so that we see the specific item name without having to go to the confirmation screen & backtrack, that would be a major QoL improvement for me (and many others, I suspect).

Cautionary note: If I see some item has a crew name attached, I check first to see if I have a variant in the leveling queue, then check the STT Wiki to look at the equipment tree. @izausome ’s Crew Cost Finder is also useful in this regard for deciding what to keep on hand.
    🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • I was hoping this was a petition to discard or raise the inventory cap. Which if we ever make one. /SIGNED
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
    edited July 2020
    I was hoping this was a petition to discard or raise the inventory cap. Which if we ever make one. /SIGNED

/Co-signed

I mean, I keep an eye on it & make sure it’s below 800/1000. I know there are database issues involved here, which I don’t know enough about to comment on. The option to create replicator rations seems like a good intermediate step, pending future development.

The following quote is from 07 January 2020, before DB (company) officially sold STT (game) to TP (company), who then created WRG (studio) to continue developing STT:
    Shan wrote: »
    Thanks to those of you who understand and appreciate that the intent is really a first pass at improvements, especially to address the fact that players are being taken by surprise by the inventory cap and its consequences.

I am bringing up your concerns about the cost and I will relay again the pain point that is the lack of item name.

An alphabetical sort function in Inventory would also help. Just getting the different screens to show stuff in the same order would as well. 🖖

EDIT: I thought a bit of clarity about the acronyms we use might be helpful. Concatenating them isn’t. ☮️
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have so few crew needing anything, and I keep them unequipped because I slowly get stuff from loot boxes and win streaks for them. I use almost no replications. I only rarely use them on new crew I want to level quickly. I have thousands of rations. So I simply dump stuff. When I was new, it mattered to me. Now I don't find it worth my time. I have over 2K purple rations, and I will never use them all. I absolutely recommend newer players or players with lots of crew to level to create rations, but for me, I'm happy to dump stuff.
  • Thanks everyone. I feel there is a massive QoL improvement to be made here. I've just gone through my inventory and repped my 0* & 1* stuff I had only one or two of. Loads a room now.
  • Thanks everyone. I feel there is a massive QoL improvement to be made here. I've just gone through my inventory and repped my 0* & 1* stuff I had only one or two of. Loads a room now.

I hope you didn't throw any hard to obtain components in the replicator because of what I wrote earlier :worried:
    The fact that you only have 1 or 2 of them doesn't necessarily mean that they're useless. But if they are crew-specific equipment for cards that you already immortalized or don't have, like a 0* Bell Riots Jadzia's outfit, then they're just taking up space.

I hope you didn't throw any hard to obtain components in the replicator because of what I wrote earlier :worried:
    The fact that you only have 1 or 2 of them doesn't necessarily mean that they're useless. But if they are crew-specific equipment for cards that you already immortalized or don't have, like a 0* Bell Riots Jadzia's outfit, then they're just taking up space.

Well if they are 1* or lower rarity then they won't cost much to replicate anyway. I only threw equipment away, not components. I love the game but don't think I'll lose any sleep over a mistakenly thrown away item anyway. But thanks for the info. Was a big help.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I feel there is a massive QoL improvement to be made here. I've just gone through my inventory and repped my 0* & 1* stuff I had only one or two of. Loads a room now.

Well if they are 1* or lower rarity then they won't cost much to replicate anyway. I only threw equipment away, not components. I love the game but don't think I'll lose any sleep over a mistakenly thrown away item anyway. But thanks for the info. Was a big help.

I once purged every last piece of 0*, 1*, and I think 2* equipment (also not components) I had that wasn’t in a pile of 2 or more items, because I wanted to check what the names were and determine if any were worth keeping. I never noticed the loss, so why not do it that way every time?
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I discard. It's too much of a nuisance to sift through everything. I prefer to use ship schematics for creating rations. I know immediately on sight what they are. They pile up after opening some packs, and each ship only counts as 1/1000 of the inventory cap whether you have just one schematic for that ship or 32767 of 'em.
    I discard. It's too much of a nuisance to sift through everything. I prefer to use ship schematics for creating rations. I know immediately on sight what they are. They pile up after opening some packs, and each ship only counts as 1/1000 of the inventory cap whether you have just one schematic for that ship or 32767 of 'em.

It took me less than five minutes to look at each of 694 equipment items, identify 4 as replicator fuel, and then create a gold ration. Not too much of a nuisance for me, but it still needs specific item names & disambiguation. 🖖
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

It took me less than five minutes to look at each of 694 equipment items, identify 4 as replicator fuel, and then create a gold ration. Not too much of a nuisance for me, but it still needs specific item names & disambiguation. 🖖

Ah, but how long would it take you to sift through your 0*-3* inventory to create a gold ration?
  • the clutter for me was 1 of several hundred unique items ... and the nagging 975 items 'alert' ... so I presumed the 1 of items are for crew, unique to them ... and since I have over 300 immortals on board, I replicated with the lot of 'em
  • Always replicate, otherwise those items just go to waste.
    [DCC] bebe
    Privileged to be Admiral of the Great Fleet
    Dilithium Causes Cancer, maxed Starbase level 134
    Featuring photonic flee free holodecks and
    All you can drink Neelix's Even Better Than Coffee Substitute!
  • Warrior WilloWarrior Willo ✭✭✭✭✭
    [DCC] bebe wrote: »
    Always replicate, otherwise those items just go to waste.

qzq7yvbawgw9.jpeg
    Not always 😬😬

Ah, but how long would it take you to sift through your 0*-3* inventory to create a gold ration?

Less than five minutes, as I said. I clicked on every item, made note of the useless stuff, then switched to the fueler. It still **tsk tsk** to have to do this, but I can rest easy at 690/1000.