Home The Bridge

Could the Kelvin-verse be coming to STT? [Answer: No]

robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in The Bridge
The Fleet Command mobile game announced earlier this week that they've acquired the rights to the Prime Universe: https://trekmovie.com/2020/08/24/star-treks-prime-timeline-coming-to-star-trek-fleet-command-mobile-game/

I know this was speculated back when CBS & Viacom announced their merger, but this gives some credence to the possibility of the licenses being merged together (or at least there being a possibility for WRG/TP to negotiate to get both).

I know the Kelvin-verse isn't the most popular version of the Trekverse, but I wouldn't be opposed to having the Chrises (Hemsworth and Pine, of course) and Zoe Saldana sitting on my bridge.

ETA: @WRG Ben confirmed in his interview with TimelinesTalks that there are no plans for to add Kelvin-verse characters to the game.

Comments

• Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean... It's possible. I got one oppose it because the movie previews look less like Star Trek than Discovery. And I might just boycott any Kelvin cards because my roster is strong enough that it won't hurt me to do it.

But... If there's Kelvin fans here who want them, then I suppose it's fine. I'll just be a little grumpy.
    Farewell 🖖
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zoe! I badly want her. I really hope that this is going to happen.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

She is a great actor in anything she is in!!!!!

😺😸😺😸😺
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • I think it would be cool, though there are lots of potential discussion topics, in-game and out-of-game.

I'm already smiling a bit about possibly getting Numb Tongue Kirk or Combat Training Sulu or Kobayashi Kirk (chomping an apple and shooting his finger like a gun). Nimoy would obviously be very fun as well, and those are just from the first movie.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I'd be down for some kind of cross-over like they did with Prince Bashir's Game of Thrones character if you're giving me a Butcher McCoy

a9ldhna3um9r.jpg

Now THAT ONE I'd go for
  • Yateball wrote: »
    I didn't mind the Kelvin-verse movies but personally think it would ruin Timelines to combine the 2 universes (universii?)

Separate is how they should stay

agreed
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Don't they have to make all the Kelvin Universe cards 25% different per the licensing rules for the "separate" legal entity to collect the greenbacks? /s?
  • Thorozar Thorozar ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Just no, those movies are neat as sci-fi but the only reason they used the star trek name and TOS characters was to guarantee a built in audience. They could have easily done a different star fleet ship, used a later time than the shows or something else, but using Kirk and Spock meant they could get more eyeballs easier. With all the turmoil in this game lately adding "kelvin" would likely be the last straw.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't they have to make all the Kelvin Universe cards 25% different per the licensing rules for the "separate" legal entity to collect the greenbacks? /s?

That is literally a thing made up by a bunch of YouTube channels to justify their hate of the Kelvin-verse and Kurtzman Trek. Here's a video that breaks it down: https://youtu.be/KoulbtFC2Ic

Even if it were a thing, they are now owned by the same entity so it's a moot point.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    Don't they have to make all the Kelvin Universe cards 25% different per the licensing rules for the "separate" legal entity to collect the greenbacks? /s?

That is literally a thing made up by a bunch of YouTube channels to justify their hate of the Kelvin-verse and Kurtzman Trek. Here's a video that breaks it down: https://youtu.be/KoulbtFC2Ic

Even if it were a thing, they are now owned by the same entity so it's a moot point.

Like a cow's opinion

I was thinking she would be awesome as the Cerritos doctor, if it were live-action!!!!!!
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    [KM]Videm wrote: »
    so this game is about the timelines getting jumbled all together so I see no reason why the Kelvin timeline can't work in STT. That being said, I think there is plenty of material coming up with Lower Decks, Strange New Worlds, Disco S3, and Picard S2 that lack of sources of new content isn't a compelling reason to add Kelvin crew and ships.

Think of the cool storylines and rivalries between the two set of TOS crew. Chris Pine Kirk jealous of William Shatner’s Kirk relationship he got to have with their father with the two Spocks working together to get the Kirks to get along. Then another event where Leonard Nimoy Spock is annoyed with Zachary Quinto Spock for showing too much emotion and Ethan Peck Spock seeing both sides and finding common ground.
    r1c77rx7duao.gif

Then another event with a race and all the JJ crew are running:

9r8sbthh2mk5.gif
    McCoy and Kirk

2ckxru4yqduc.gif
    Khan

1a9pg9bjwq5c.gif
    Spock
    Let’s fly!
  • I don't see why not. We got DIS, so we should get the Kelvins as well.
  • Looks forward to a new rash of rage quitters caused by Kelvin cards.
  • SlickSlick ✭✭✭
    I mean... It's possible. I got one oppose it because the movie previews look less like Star Trek than Discovery. And I might just boycott any Kelvin cards because my roster is strong enough that it won't hurt me to do it.

But... If there's Kelvin fans here who want them, then I suppose it's fine. I'll just be a little grumpy.

My sentiments exactly. And boycott related schematics, too.
    Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Exanimus wrote: »
    Could? Nothing is impossible.
    Should? No. It's headache enough having to deal with the faux trek in it already. I don't have any real interest beyond TOS to Enterprise. Plus double license fees and image royalties to feature film actors who are holding back the films by demanding bigger salaries doesn't seem like it would benefit the game.

You should watch the new treks. They are good. And the actors for the movie did not hold back the movie by demanding bigger salaries. Quite the opposite, Paramount demanded that the actors take a huge pay cut even though their salaries had already been agreed upon. The actors keep having hugely successful movies and are highly in demand so they did not see it a worthwhile position to take a big pay cut for a nebulous fourth trek movie that Paramount kept dithering on for years when they are getting many movie offers from other studios. Chris Pine, Chris Hemsworth and the others have said all along they are open to making a fourth trek movie but that it is up to Paramount.
    Let’s fly!
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    bring it!

3kj141bfs3ez.gif

/SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
    edited August 2020
    bring it!

3kj141bfs3ez.gif

The Champion was in something I watched last night!!!! "That 70s Show"? I think it was. Eric and Red went to a wrestling match......

We've got Gladiator Seven and Penk. The Champion would be cool. And should fit the "iconic" request some people have.

EDIT: We can't talk about the thing that repeatedly happened to Troi in TNG and the movies. But autocorrupt turning Penk's name into an anatomical term doesn't get the "tsk-tsk".........

EDIT #2: I thought I was in the "1000th" character thread, and Barkley was suggesting the Champion. I still support him coming to the game!!!!!

• Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have zero interest in Kelvin characters.

Except maybe Keenser.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "Peter Weller" collection would become a thing with Paxton and Marcus.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • robownage wrote: »
    The Fleet Command mobile game announced earlier this week that they've acquired the rights to the Prime Universe: https://trekmovie.com/2020/08/24/star-treks-prime-timeline-coming-to-star-trek-fleet-command-mobile-game/

I know this was speculated back when CBS & Viacom announced their merger, but this gives some credence to the possibility of the licenses being merged together (or at least there being a possibility for WRG/TP to negotiate to get both).

I know the Kelvin-verse isn't the most popular version of the Trekverse, but I wouldn't be opposed to having the Chrises (Hemsworth and Pine, of course) and Zoe Saldana sitting on my bridge.

I like the Kelvin Universe and would be very happy with Khan
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    I'd be down for some kind of cross-over like they did with Prince Bashir's Game of Thrones character if you're giving me a Butcher McCoy

Counterpoint:8fdaae19-0bfe-4332-8455-7a52d13cc466.gif?q=50

Also I wouldn't object to having this Kirk:
    Picture-142.png
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
  • Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that Urban McCoy shows up for about 4 seconds across three movies, I think they'd need to give us some non-canon versions. Thankfully there are lots of good options.

(Shame, really, I think he did a fantastic job of being recognizable without it feeling imitative.)
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that Urban McCoy shows up for about 4 seconds across three movies, I think they'd need to give us some non-canon versions. Thankfully there are lots of good options.

(Shame, really, I think he did a fantastic job of being recognizable without it feeling imitative.)

That is a valid and insightful criticism of the films - one of the great strengths of the TOS cast was how well the three of them, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, worked together. The films were very much more Kirk and Spock alone, with McCoy darting in from time to time. One of the best scenes from the Kelvinverse films is when McCoy sneaks Kirk on board the Enterprise, and it’s a little odd they didn’t make more use of that kind of chemistry.