Home The Bridge

Spocktober Mega Event

Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in The Bridge
I like how WRG is carrying the theme of Spocktober through the campaign and mega event.

New crew look pretty tight, thematically.

Slots and a collection are a very welcome sight.

Vulcan trait is interesting. It's our first repeat mega event trait. Luckily many Vulcan's have been added since the month they shared with Romulans.

There is only one faction phase. It's at the very beginning. That means each event crew will really only be useful during their event. The Vulcan trait will be minimally impactful. There won't be much need for freezing and thawing. Roster depth will matter much less in regard to 490 packs than filling in your Vulcan collection (assuming they are on-theme). If mega event legendaries don't have the Vulcan trait, it won't matter in terms of using them throughout the mega event. Galaxies and skirmishes are almost exclusively event crew anyway.

Announcing the new ship up front is pretty cool too. I don't remember that being part of previous announcements.

Did I miss anything?
Is the analysis accurate?

Edit: bolded "phase"
Adding link to announcement: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/16943/spocktober-is-here#latest
Farewell 🖖

Comments

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering TMP EV Suit Spock or TOS EV Suit Spock.

Either would be cool.

🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻🖖
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭

Either would be cool.

🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻🖖

It's TMP Spock, I think. That's who it looked like on the FB announcement.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
    Oh good. I didn't embarrass myself. I only glanced at it scrolling past to find something I wanted to show my mom. I intended to look better later. I'm loving the new way of social media updates for every thing.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • I'm actually excited for this one. I do wish there had been more factions, but what are you going to do? v^(*-*)^v

On the plus side, since most of the events have galaxy components, the threshold 4* is an easy immortalize. ^_^
  • No full faction eh?
    Guess, I can save my merits unfreezing Vulcans.
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a shame that given TP's admission a month or two back that the Skirmish thresholds aren't currently appropriate and need expanding, we're still being quite Skirmish-heavy in events. But somehow, sticking a few extras on the end of the thresholds is still going to take another 3-15 months?
    There is only one faction phase. It's at the very beginning. That means each event crew will really only be useful during their event. The Vulcan trait will be minimally impactful.

It's not even a Faction event, it's a hybrid (so the Faction half has a much smaller effect on placement).

TP have really gone all-out to take the "mega" out of "mega-event". No more accruing crew throughout the month, steadily thawing crew at 100 merits a day, putting together a balanced team of bonus awesome for a bombastic all-out shuttles event in week 3 or week 4. Jiminy Cricket, there isn't even a shuttles event in week 1 or week 2 anymore. :disappointed:

I think I understand what happened here, at least. One of the top brass at TP must have sent out a memo along the lines of, "Let's really Spock up this mega-event!", and the people setting it up misinterpreted the meaning.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bolded "phase" so it's not confused with a full faction event.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Looks good! I think i’m pretty safe to guess the new collection will be Mirror. New ship? eh. there could have been a better choice... @Nomad (FADM:Patterns of Force)

🖖🖖🖖🖖

The new collection could also be an EV suit collection.

I like that they are really going all in on the theme.

But on the other hand I'm disappointed that there's only half a fraction event. No need really to add a bonus trade for such an event. :neutral:
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that by the end of this month, folks (like myself) that don’t care if chronitons are part of bundled offers may change their tune for a while. The burn rate for “Chronitober” is going to be substantial.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    It's a shame that given TP's admission a month or two back that the Skirmish thresholds aren't currently appropriate and need expanding, we're still being quite Skirmish-heavy in events. But somehow, sticking a few extras on the end of the thresholds is still going to take another 3-15 months?

There is a balance question they need to consider. Plenty of players threshold and out. If they add extra threshold rewards will players continue to push for them? If that happens will that inflate scores and push the VP for 1500 even higher?
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    PenguinJim wrote: »

There is a balance question they need to consider. Plenty of players threshold and out. If they add extra threshold rewards will players continue to push for them? If that happens will that inflate scores and push the VP for 1500 even higher?

I can't remember for sure, but I think when thresholds were increased before, the VP required for top 1,500 went up by maybe 100k VP. That may have also been around the same time ranked rewards were expanded to include the legendary for 1,001 to 1,500.
    Farewell 🖖
    Several interesting points to cover while I was out feeding.
    * The frequency of Skirmishes could have to do with data gathering. If they are rebalancing the thresholds, they need a good bit of current data to do it. I'm not complaining, though. They are my best type. The event I finally break Top 1500 for is likely to be a Skirmish.
    * There have been some complaints about schematics acquisition. Here's an idea- when it is part of a mega, add a bundle or two of the schematics to the thresholds of all four events and, maybe, one bundle of one relevant ship to all the event packs.
    * The Faction or Faction hybrid really should be later in the event, when newer players have had a little more time to gather and work on the needed crew or just crew in general. Factions are hard, especially for new players. That's why I'm all for some sort of inventory exchange. I'd rather offer up extra schematics to a newer player trying to build up his fleet than toss them in the replicator. They don't go very far and I have lots of rations. Nothing annoys me like having to give a new captain advice on staffing a low level ship for arena or Skirmish and knowing he needs to build his ship up and I'm sitting on 10k plus spare schematics for it.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

Either would be cool.

🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻🖖

Saw the announcement after I wondered. Was 90% would be that version.

Either would be cool.

🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻🖖

aaj3m6qn8bcp.png

Yeah. That image.

🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻🖖

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    EnderW wrote: »
    A Nebula class starship! Excuse me, but I seem to have the vapors... :)

The same!

They mention its captain in the list of crew. I initial assumption was Logician Solok, although given that there are eight names it sort of feels like they're the eight new crew. I have no problem with a new Captain Solok, but I'm surprised to get two crew out of the character. If they want a Vulcan from DS9, why not go with Chu'lak or Sakonna?

Maybe it'll just be Logician Solok and I'm over thinking this :smile:
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • TarisTaris ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Galaxy phase two weeks in a row. My chrons are hurting.
  • and third week skirmish.. what a way to start selling chronotons...
  • edited October 2020
    No full faction eh?
    Guess, I can save my merits unfreezing Vulcans.
    That was my reaction. Only half a faction makes the "vulcan" keyword somewhat irrelevant.
    EDIT: Having said that, I'll probably try to blast through as many rewards before I get to the Galaxy half, so maybe I'll need them to stock all the shuttles :-)
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super excited for this!

Thank you TP for only requiring me to use one super-rare citation for the next 4 weeks!

Also thank you for the Nebula Class starship - one of my favorites!

You bring in an Akira next and I can die happy.
  • Super excited for this!

Thank you TP for only requiring me to use one super-rare citation for the next 4 weeks!

Also thank you for the Nebula Class starship - one of my favorites!

You bring in an Akira next and I can die happy.

I’m all in for the Akira.
  • RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
    EV Suit Spock looks terrific, and I'm pretty pumped for a new McCoy. Been a while since I was legitimately excited for a Mega Event! (Or any event for that matter).
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    RennJaxo wrote: »
    EV Suit Spock looks terrific, and I'm pretty pumped for a new McCoy. Been a while since I was legitimately excited for a Mega Event! (Or any event for that matter).

It may not be a new McCoy. The announcement was weird. They usually mention all 13 crew, the 9 new and the 4 repeating. This time they only mentioned 9 crew. I can't imagine we're getting a second Solok, and if he's an existing crew, then others may be too. Given EV Suit Spock is the recurring and the hints of a new collection(possibly EV Suit), I would guess Pike will be the EV Suit Pike who is existing. So McCoy could easily be another existing version or a new crew.

All we really know for sure are EV Suit Spock, Amanda Grayson (TOS), Sarek (TOS), T’Pring (TOS), Leila Kalomi(TOS), and Zarabeth (TOS) will be new since we don't have any of them from the indicated series.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    RennJaxo wrote: »

It may not be a new McCoy. The announcement was weird. They usually mention all 13 crew, the 9 new and the 4 repeating. This time they only mentioned 9 crew. I can't imagine we're getting a second Solok, and if he's an existing crew, then others may be too. Given EV Suit Spock is the recurring and the hints of a new collection(possibly EV Suit), I would guess Pike will be the EV Suit Pike who is existing. So McCoy could easily be another existing version or a new crew.

All we really know for sure are EV Suit Spock, Amanda Grayson (TOS), Sarek (TOS), T’Pring (TOS), Leila Kalomi(TOS), and Zarabeth (TOS) will be new since we don't have any of them from the indicated series.

I got the odd feeling, also based on Solok, that both he and McCoy would be existing crew. Katra McCoy certainly would make thematic sense in a Spock-themed mega event, far more so than Logicians Solok even. The two remaining question marks for new crew could be new Spock variants, which wouldn’t be unwelcome.