Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: His Vulcan Mind - 10/22 - ME#3

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    What witchcraft is this? That suit shouldn't look so good.

+1. There have been many times when I thought the art couldn’t get better and was thoroughly proven wrong. This is one such time.
  • Options
    That’s great and all... but when will we start seeing the Lower Decks crew? I am patiently hoarding dilithium and not wasting too much time on events because I am really hoping for new Lower Decks crew.

There are two things at work here:

1) DB/WRG learned a lot from how crew were released when Discovery first aired and then how Picard and Lower Decks aired. Some of those early Disco crew don’t even entirely look like the actors they’re based on (see also: Reinforcements Stamets, Cadet Tilly, and Captain Lorca), and there was a bit of confusion and early spoilers based on traits. Other than Picard and Number One, whose pose was taken from one of the earliest (if not the very first) trailers from the show, PIC crew were basically withheld until after the season was over. Now that we’re finished with the first season of Lower Decks, the spoiler potential goes down as laggards like myself get caught up with everyone else.

2) Something I believe WRG’s Ben mentioned a few weeks back during a Timelines Talks episode, there was a mention of making sure that the art style from the show could be adapted to the art style for the game. I submit that this process was rather simple for TAS crew because that show was animated without a lot of detail. Every TAS crew’s artwork blows their source material away in terms of quality. Rescue Team Uhura was admittedly a slam dunk because there are plenty of pictures of her actual face but even the roughest TAS crew art (Commodore April) looks darn good. Lower Decks has a more detailed but much more stylized look, a look that if left untouched would look frankly terrible by comparison to other crew (see also: original art for Commander Tomalak and Blood Oath Jadzia). It’s undoubtedly a tricky process to make the Lower Decks characters look like they fit with the rest of the crew in the game but still make them look like themselves.

If I were the art director, I would have considered contracting at least some consulting hours from one of those animators who redraw characters like Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin in different styles...those people must have some tips or tricks they rely on, right?

The whole point of bringing in people from a show is that they look like that person. I do not want a stylized Mariner or Boimler, I want a Mariner and Boimler as seen in Lower Decks. I loved the TAS that looked like TAS and did not like Rescue Team Uhura as she looked too much like all the other Uhuras.

exnxlsl762vb.jpeg

That abomination is not to be considered canon .... horrible humor of it just doesn't go well with Star Trek ... on its own it would actually be a decent show ...
  • Options
    I was hoping it would be of this pose with the helmet off. I know there is a scene where they are all standing on the bridge of the Defiant for a clear full frame shot. I don't remember if they all had their helmets off though.

t53c9kxkxjcx.png

Yeah, I'm too lazy to pop in the BluRay to go hunting for that scene right now...
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    That’s great and all... but when will we start seeing the Lower Decks crew? I am patiently hoarding dilithium and not wasting too much time on events because I am really hoping for new Lower Decks crew.

1) DB/WRG learned a lot from how crew were released when Discovery first aired and then how Picard and Lower Decks aired. Some of those early Disco crew don’t even entirely look like the actors they’re based on (see also: Reinforcements Stamets, Cadet Tilly, and Captain Lorca), and there was a bit of confusion and early spoilers based on traits. Other than Picard and Number One, whose pose was taken from one of the earliest (if not the very first) trailers from the show, PIC crew were basically withheld until after the season was over. Now that we’re finished with the first season of Lower Decks, the spoiler potential goes down as laggards like myself get caught up with everyone else.

2) Something I believe WRG’s Ben mentioned a few weeks back during a Timelines Talks episode, there was a mention of making sure that the art style from the show could be adapted to the art style for the game. I submit that this process was rather simple for TAS crew because that show was animated without a lot of detail. Every TAS crew’s artwork blows their source material away in terms of quality. Rescue Team Uhura was admittedly a slam dunk because there are plenty of pictures of her actual face but even the roughest TAS crew art (Commodore April) looks darn good. Lower Decks has a more detailed but much more stylized look, a look that if left untouched would look frankly terrible by comparison to other crew (see also: original art for Commander Tomalak and Blood Oath Jadzia). It’s undoubtedly a tricky process to make the Lower Decks characters look like they fit with the rest of the crew in the game but still make them look like themselves.

If I were the art director, I would have considered contracting at least some consulting hours from one of those animators who redraw characters like Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin in different styles...those people must have some tips or tricks they rely on, right?

The whole point of bringing in people from a show is that they look like that person. I do not want a stylized Mariner or Boimler, I want a Mariner and Boimler as seen in Lower Decks. I loved the TAS that looked like TAS and did not like Rescue Team Uhura as she looked too much like all the other Uhuras.

exnxlsl762vb.jpeg

That abomination is not to be considered canon .... horrible humor of it just doesn't go well with Star Trek ... on its own it would actually be a decent show ...

I could say that about Enterprise....minus the humor aspect and the fact it could be a good show. Everyone has their own opinions, but it is Star Trek 🖖🖖🖖🖖🖖

:o oh ya...umm, its Tuesday, you lose your calendar?
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options

exnxlsl762vb.jpeg

I could say that about Enterprise....minus the humor aspect and the fact it could be a good show. Everyone has their own opinions, but it is Star Trek 🖖🖖🖖🖖🖖

:o oh ya...umm, its Tuesday, you lose your calendar?

Hmm... Can’t think of anything on Tuesdays....except new crew? :tongue:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    bvp91cq5ks7d.jpg

TOS EV Suit is all the win!!!!!
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »

exnxlsl762vb.jpeg

It's definitely 100% canon. Sorry if it isn't your cup of tea, but I absolutely loved the first season and am very excited for season 2.

Especially the season finale with its special guest stars and great story. We definitely need Badgey and Peanut Hamper.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Will Katra McCoy get a double small bonus for having the Vulcan trait, and being McCoy?
  • Options
    RennJaxo wrote: »
    robownage wrote: »

exnxlsl762vb.jpeg

It's definitely 100% canon. Sorry if it isn't your cup of tea, but I absolutely loved the first season and am very excited for season 2.

Especially the season finale with its special guest stars and great story. We definitely need Badgey and Peanut Hamper.

I REALLY want to see a certain ship in Timelines.

I know the one you mean and yes I want that too.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Another TOS crew gets the awesome artwork treatment. You could plug her right into the episode......

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Loving the new McCoy avatar. He is awesome!!! Thx TP!
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    LjofaLjofa ✭✭✭
    So in part 2 you craft in ‘musical partners’, where you find out if Spock and Uhura did more than duet, one stasis chamber and one visual arts.

Can I ask what the ah...reasoning was behind these two items being brought together?
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um.... is T'Pring supposed to be racist now?
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    Shy Khan wrote: »

You misspelled "Vulcan".........
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found it a bit curious. If we were to pry into that kind of information about any real people we would be rightly called inappropriate or stalker. Spock's personal affairs 😉 are no concern of ours.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    No more so than most Vulcans.

True of most Vulcans, yes. But I always considered T'Pring to be exceptional; the way she clearly and logically states her case at the end of Amok Time is great and seems to impress Spock even in the light of his having just killed his friend.

And when asked by Spock why she wasn't choosing him, it was because of his fame, not wanting to be the "consort of a legend" that she stated was the reason she chose another. She never brought up his heritage at all - so that line at the end of the event struck me oddly.

Then again, she chose Stonn over Spock, so maybe she isn't that exceptional...
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!