Home The Bridge
Options

My WRTP proto-flounce - others welcome

Comments

• Options
    OomoxOomox ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Can I thank all contributors to this thread for their time and very welcome input. Please do keep it coming!

I very genuinely hope that WRTP are paying attention to what their consumers are telling them here. Much of it may be difficult to hear, but all of it necessary to say.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    A I'll give you skirmishes,
    B I don't think campaigns count as game development, just a sales tactic.
    Same for C and D, just sales.
    E Chapter 10 fair enough, not what I would call serious development, but some would (i haven't played any of Chapter 10, because I don't need to)
    F Same for Infinity Distress call. Not serious development, but it is content.
    G Collections are again not what I would consider development, but they aren't nothing either and are an important aspect of making frozen crew have some effect on your capability.
    H Adding starbase rooms is minimal development and is essentially the end of the feature. Not disagreeing with that choice mind you, but again, just a band aid.
    I Improved art is not development
    J More sales nonsense
    K Not nothing but roundly derided as inadequate
    L Not development, that's just a tweak of an existing feature and a small one at that.
    M Same as above
    N This is at best bug squashing
    O QoL tweaking of an existing feature. Happy to have it? Yes, but the very definition of minimal development.
    P Nonsense marketing. If you think using a poll is development you have a very low threshold
    Q Again, marketing nonsense. It's cool (I actually wondered at the time does John DeLancie have shares or something :).) But again, not development, just marketing.
    R Offer Wall is sales again, not gameplay at all. Just BS out of game stuff
    S Shuttle Rentals, tweak to an existing feature, minimal development.
    T Temporary Achievements minimal development. One assumes they will now go into the new Events tab (which is again minimal development)
    U Is it great that they let someone talk to us? Yes, absolutely. Does it count as video game development though? Does it make up for saying nothing for 3 years? Absolutely not.

I think some of our disagreements are around UI updates that are just to sell stuff. That is not core gameplay and so to me is not game development. Same goes for silly stuff like Offer Walls and the fleet stealing stuff. (I'm not saying that these aren't important in their own right, just don't affect gameplay and so therefore are not game development.)

Tweaks of existing features, like updating threshold tables and adding chapters I would consider bare minimum development. No new system is being developed just adding to an existing feature. You can add releasing new cards every week to this definition. This is all ops stuff I would imagine.

Collections I am on the fence on. They are great and important for giving otherwise useless crew some added value, but they don't seem like that big a deal to add to the game. But for the sake of our discussion I am willing to concede that Skirmishes and Collections initial implementation count as non-minimal development.

So where does that leave us? About 2 years since anything serious was done? And very little in the guts of 3 years? Voyages was a proper system that was added. Skirmishes are an important event type and both dramatically changed the game. We need something similar again and we needed it 2 years ago. At the very least we needed it 1 year ago and if not then we need something ambitious as soon as possible. That's how you retain the player base and that's how you give yourself a shot at getting old players back.

We also need assurances from TP/WRG that we are not wrong to have faith. My spending has decreased dramatically over the last year, because my faith is waning and I am currently very skeptical that the game is going to last much longer if the population continues to get smaller and the player base continues to get restless and bored.

That's your opinion, so we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm generally happy with the state of the game. I want more, of course, but WRG_Ben has teased some new stuff, so I'll just wait in the meantime.

Part of my disagreement is your view of sales items. I don't buy most of them. I'm hardly a whale - possibly somewhere between big fish and dolphin. The point is that the game needs money to continue. Many of the sales items have been improvements for spenders to get more for their money. In the case of campaigns, which you dismiss, there is also a free track. The SR citation has been touted as useful by the VIP0 crowd. Reasons like this are whybi say we need to agree to disagree.

I realized that (as predicted) I left a few things out. I don't think they are overly impactful to the conversation, so I will indulge my preference for complete lists and add them above. I'll also add them here, just in case anyone thinks they impact the conversation.

V. Beholds for 1,500 dilithium.
    W. Pandemic care packages.
    X. Cataclysm mini event.
    Y. Added 2 voyage-exclusive SR's. (McCoy and Worf?)

Edit: it's been too long since the last 1,500 behold and cataclysm, so if anyone at WRG is reading, can we please get those again?

I totally agree that the game needs money to continue, but where we disagree is on how TP should go about it. My preference is that TP improves the actual game and earns our money by providing a quality 'gaming' experience. What DB and now TP are doing instead is nibbling around the edges trying to sell us the same game at a discount. Am I glad to see things like Campaigns? Yes I am, because it encourages people to spend money. Do I think that that is sufficient? No I don't. What's the point in playing events or buying crew if there is nothing to do with them?
    I am happy for anybody to weigh in on these observations but there are particular regular forum goers that I would be especially happy to hear from, just to make sure that everyone is on the same page. It's hard to have a discussion if people don't agree on the basics.

Methinks thou hast no interest in actually hearing others opine. This is just a place to vent, as I initially suspected. Very well. I hope you find it therapeutic.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    for what it's worth, there's a lot of new "features" or "event types" or game modes that people have proposed in the past, but WRG employees like Ben have stated their code base/back end simply won't allow for it.

there's so many great ideas out there, but unfortunately, it's wasted potential as the foundation on what the game was built on just won't allow for it.

if you can go back and watch the last interview with Ben and get past a lot of the fluff, you'll see where people asked about certain game modes but he said they simply can't build it given what they have. it would probably involve a whole new game, starting from the ground up, to put in some of these things. I doubt many people would play a Timelines 2, myself included.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    So much of that stuff above is a yes for me. There's been a lot of good hashing of it so I'll just say that paying attention to developing both additional game-play items, coupled with fleet tools would keep both myself as a fleet admiral, as well as my fleetmates more engaged with the game. The lists of things just in this thread could keep WR/TP busy for a long time.

For me, this is the key overarching statement made thus far:
    KopaceticK wrote: »
    We just need a little nugget of hope for the future.

Our suggestions *seem* to go into a black hole. There does not appear to be any effect of player recommendations. I believe that the developers do review what is being requested, but there is no obvious feedback loop.

For example, I think that part of the event hub might have come from one of my recommendations around having the event leader board remain available after the event is over. That is indeed a component of the hub, but I'm sure that with some player input, the hub would have been rolled out a bit differently.

There must be a queue...why not let us have a little hope for the future and show us what's coming up? There has to be a new Ben there somewhere...

Admiral of the Inner Planets Alliance fleets
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    And when TP makes improvements to enable new game modes, the same people complain or just say it's sales or not a new feature.

Work done to make temporary achievements easier for TP to deploy so they can happen more often: " minimal development"

Event hub to allow for mini events: Event hub **tsk tsk**

• Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    AviTrek wrote: »
    And when TP makes improvements to enable new game modes, the same people complain or just say it's sales or not a new feature.

Work done to make temporary achievements easier for TP to deploy so they can happen more often: " minimal development"

Event hub to allow for mini events: Event hub **tsk tsk**

I think a lot of the commentary on this was quite nuanced. My own included. In an of itself the update has made the game worse, not better. When we see the improvements I'll give them plaudits if they're deserved, but I'll be honest I'm not expecting much so for the moment the event hub is merely a retrograde UI change. If DB told us what was coming maybe we'd react differently, but they don't so it's on them.

Edited to add: I don't have an issue with the event hub itself. I am hopeful that it is a useful feature and shows a greater commitment from TP to events, but it's not what the game needs. We need Voyages 3.0, something that will use our crew depth and get us pouring over spreadsheets and examining new crew for strengths again. I'd honestly love a Deep Voyages feature which was just another Voyage but it only popped up once a day and used 100 frozen crew or something. It would just be a stopgap feature but would actually address our main complaint which is why do we bother acquiring new crew when we have nothing to do with them.
  • Options
    If DB told us what was coming maybe we'd react differently, but they don't so it's on them.

Honest question, did you watch the interview with WRG Ben?
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if not: Those things should also be communicated from an official source in the forum. Plus and even better in the game. Cause forum etc. represent only a small part of the active player base. But everyone who plays obviously is in the game to do that. So published there it really reaches everyone who is interested. And the more people know the better for the growth/success of the game.

Also for a long time way before the official launch of STT there were countless regular and detailed updates about many big and even very small development details and plans. We are far away from things we already had. Despite double the team power after the switch to TP/WRG...

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I've been reading a lot of this and some interesting feedback but led me to a couple of ideas (and forgive me if they have been ruled out before):

Has there ever been a beta community of players for STT to give feedback on upcoming changes? I know you can register for something on the player page but I don't think it does anything? Some of the issues around UI etc. could have been picked up earlier by WRG with this kind of initiative.

The other is that we all "like" to complain about a lack of content and there's a lot of technical capabilities out there in the player community. So is there a possibility of community created mini-events? The obvious thought for me was an expedition. The general feedback is that it is too time consuming for the developers, so why not let us create one? I suspect there's loads of reasons why this won't work like backend tools, access, etc. but I thought I'd put it out there.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    If DB told us what was coming maybe we'd react differently, but they don't so it's on them.

What interview? Who's WRG Ben?

Here's a link to the forum announcement / recap of his appearance on player-hosted Timelines Talks:
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/16807/some-star-trek-timelines-news-and-star-trek-day#latest

It's a very long video, but here's the YouTube link:
    https://youtu.be/-nnmxdaD4TU
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Ben is the QA Manager at WRG. The timelines talks podcast has had him on their show twice so far. the latest one was here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nnmxdaD4TU, and also recapped in Shan's post that was linked above.

Not in Shan's post, were nuanced responses to why certain features could not make it into the game, and it usually had to do limitations of the game itself or the backend. I don't have direct timestamps for you, but they are buried in there
  • Options

Has there ever been a beta community of players for STT to give feedback on upcoming changes? I

Players were often part of beta programs, including to things like testing voyages, but that may have long ago been abandoned.
    Even if not: Those things should also be communicated from an official source in the forum. Plus and even better in the game. Cause forum etc. represent only a small part of the active player base. But everyone who plays obviously is in the game to do that. So published there it really reaches everyone who is interested. And the more people know the better for the growth/success of the game.

Agreed, I said before, there needs to be better official communication lines with the player base. Having said that, it is nice to see individual employees taking some initiative to reach out to the community, even if it is via unofficial channels. I've said in other areas before, Nod, the former STT producer, used to sit in Discord and chat with us. Test2 also sat in Line and gave tons of information.
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I'll start my input by giving a well earned thank you to TP/WRG for the top 3 things I appreciate in the game, and dare I say, based on feedback from the community, I believe many (not ALL) would agree with this:

1.) Honor Sales! This is pure Latinum to the community! The only negative comments I ever see on this are players who spent their honor in the weeks prior to these sales.
    2.) Campaigns! Many have said, and I agree, that this is the best value for your money in the game. The only time we don't get excited is either, we have the FF crew already, or the character is questionable at best.
    3.) Temporary Achievements! These are fun and engaging! We like them, we like the rewards. Some have suggested a few tweaks and I think they have valid input on this.

I work in advertising in real life. There are things that really need to be adjusted moving forward. Primarily, communication. To build interest in the game, tell us 2 months in advance when the next honor sale is coming. Personally, I'd aim for 250k (instead of 130k) VP every event if I knew an honor sale was on it's way. Also, let us know what plans are coming for the next month. Build anticipation for upcoming points of interest. Tell us the next campaign halfway through the current one instead of days before. Give a teaser that a new collection is coming next month (great job with Smoke and Mirrors, well done. But let us know which one is next and we'll work towards that one). Let us know a few weeks in advance of an upcoming rank crew. ('Look forward to seeing one of your favorite First Officers in the next few weeks.')[Even movies give early trailers to build anticipation. And when people in the community talk about it, it builds more anticipation and forward momentum that keeps the energy alive] And have regularly scheduled, or at least, announced times when Portal updates and crew slot sales are coming. Why are you keeping these quiet?? That doesn't benefit you.

As an advertiser, I can tell that not a lot of thought went into Spocktober. Thank you for Science Officer Spock! And thank you for EV Suit Spock. But I was hoping that we'd get a trifecta of Legendary Spocks. (I understand the inclusion of Kal-i-fee Spock, but a 3rd Spock as rank rewards would have given this mega some flare.) This has been the most lackluster mega for myself personally. At the end of this event, I see no need to purchase the recap packs. Every new 4* crew will have been obtained (and if not, then the SR citation for this campaign will fix that). All I need to do is drop a citation on EV Spock and I'll be done. The Faction portion should have come later in the event to make Vulcans really worth getting. And the rank crew have been quite disappointing. In advertising they tell you to appeal to your audience. Not a lot of Star Trek fans were ever the Jock/Quarterback type of people. So having T'Pring, the girl who made Spock compete for her against the guy she already had chosen, be the rank Legendary was not a good choice! And I will never understand why T'Pring and Kal-i-fee Kirk are Legendaries, but Kal-i-fee Spock is SR. Without Spock you wouldn't have even had the episode. (But the programming is already done and I'm digressing)

I have been very uninterested in events for a long time. Most of the crew we get are useless one off characters like Nona, T'Pring, and Solok. I have no interest in trying hard for characters I have no connection to. If you need help in inspiration, look to the forums, or ask the community! There are plenty of threads about "Most Wanted crew". And I appreciate those surveys that we used to get to vote on our preference. It shows back and forth input from developers and community.

I'm losing interest because of some very easily fixable solutions aren't being implemented. Super old Legendaries not being easier to get (like added to Voyages). Why do I now have 8 level 1 ships, and no way to get anymore schematics for them?Regular Portal updates. I'm still waiting on Twilight T'Pol and Doctor Van Gogh to be added. Give us a new feature that gives us a reason to use our other Legendary crew or add a regular way to earn Legendary citations so we can make room for new crew we're working on. And communicate with us! Let us know what to expect or look forward to.

Thank you for what you are doing! Please at least consider our thoughts in this thread.

One thing I can answer to. They don’t announce the honor sale in advance so when it springs up as a surprise to someone like me, I spend $100 for 360k honor so I can participate in the fun too. It may be conniving but it worked.

True, and I do purchase some of those as well. But if we knew in advance the next honor sale, I believe we'd see more engagement in the game. Both in events (trying to reach 250k VP) and in voyages. And with people popping in more often, there's a better chance of spenders seeing something that catches their eye. :)