Home Strange New Worlds

Discovery S3 discussion (spoilers)

2»

Comments

• Latest episode:

I thought it was nice that they tried to turn Osyrra into the good character - risking everything for peace. I thought they'd go this way, with the Feds actually being the villains. But it seems like by the end of the episode she'd reverted to being the cartoon villain which is a shame.

Also, what was the scene with Michael and Paul all about? Where is he now? I didn't get that at all - the sound balance is sometimes so off that I can't hear the speech.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was nice to see Osyraa at least trying to be a better person - seeing her through that scientist dude’s eyes was a big help in that respect - but I’m not too mad that she so quickly fell back into her ways of violence...it makes me wonder if she perhaps had a nefarious long-term plan that she didn’t technically lie about because Vance didn’t ask the right questions. A plan that fell apart when Vance insisted she end up in prison (or worse) as a condition of the deal.

Michael had to get Paul off the ship - without him on board, Osyraa can’t just jump away and try something new. Enter: a 32nd century short-range escape pod, which was readily vacuumed up by the station. Paul didn’t want to leave the ship because he wanted to jump back to the nebula to save the people closest to him - he’s angry that he, Hugh, and everyone else gave up everything to follow Michael and now she’s not giving up everything to save them in turn.
  • Cheers dude. The way he was weeping, 'don't do this to me' I thought she was about to kill him.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, does anyone not at all like the look of the new uniforms on the Disco crew? Vance looked fine in it, as did his adjutants, but now that Burnham, Tilly, and the rest have them I’m not that excited any more.

Other than that, I thought that was a pretty decent season finale. I wonder what the writers have planned for season 4...hopefully they don’t just hand-wave away whatever fallout might occur from the collapse of the Emerald Chain. And on a personal note, I hope Saru is at least a recurring guest character, as he’s still one of my two favorites alongside Reno.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was nice to see Osyraa at least trying to be a better person - seeing her through that scientist dude’s eyes was a big help in that respect - but I’m not too mad that she so quickly fell back into her ways of violence...it makes me wonder if she perhaps had a nefarious long-term plan that she didn’t technically lie about because Vance didn’t ask the right questions. A plan that fell apart when Vance insisted she end up in prison (or worse) as a condition of the deal.

I liked this bit. I'm not sure I would say that Osyraa is trying to be a better person. She's a ruthless criminal that's losing her one big advantage: the Dilithium Black Market. Vance tested her and she promptly failed. She's believes she's more important than the organization she supposedly represents.
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know everyone hates it when I rag on this show, but come on...

That turbolift shaft fight scene in the finale... are you kidding me? By far the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen in anything calling itself Trek. Not even the Death Star had open spaces that large.
  • I know everyone hates it when I rag on this show, but come on...

That turbolift shaft fight scene in the finale... are you kidding me? By far the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen in anything calling itself Trek. Not even the Death Star had open spaces that large.

Maybe some unknown TARDIS technology? They have shown snippets of the turbo lift "zone", and yes it's clearly larger than Discovery itself. I am happy to extend my suspension of disbelief to cover it though!

Looking forward to the cartwheeling Zareh card.
  • SovinoxSovinox ✭✭✭
    Anyone else frustrated by the writing on Discovery? Seasons start quite strong then fall apart with inconsistencies, bad character development, sloppy action. Also annoying is the lack of secondary character development: besides Saru, Burnham, and Tilly, the rest of the crew is invisible. How many lines of dialogue did Owo, Detmer and others had this season? I do not even know half of the bridge crew names! Compare this show to the Expanse and it is really sad for Star Trek.
    Sovinox wrote: »
    Anyone else frustrated by the writing on Discovery? Seasons start quite strong then fall apart with inconsistencies, bad character development, sloppy action. Also annoying is the lack of secondary character development: besides Saru, Burnham, and Tilly, the rest of the crew is invisible. How many lines of dialogue did Owo, Detmer and others had this season? I do not even know half of the bridge crew names! Compare this show to the Expanse and it is really sad for Star Trek.

THIS! Exactly. I'm sick and tired of everyone in here railing on me when I say I don't like Discovery, and they say I'm just not open to new Trek. Of course I'm open to new Trek, I looked forward to this. My problem with the show is that its silly, lazy, and the writing makes no sense. They took a cue from the JJ Abrams movies, which offer lots of eye candy, big emotional "moments," but no actual consistency or plot.

Also for the record when I say things don't make sense, I mean that they don't write the show to be consistent - they write it for whatever they want in that moment. That's how you end up with some **tsk tsk** about one Kelpien child having a panic attack and suddenly every ship in the galaxy is destroyed. It's JJ Abrams level stupid.
  • SovinoxSovinox ✭✭✭
    Also for the record when I say things don't make sense, I mean that they don't write the show to be consistent - they write it for whatever they want in that moment. That's how you end up with some **tsk tsk** about one Kelpien child having a panic attack and suddenly every ship in the galaxy is destroyed. It's JJ Abrams level stupid.

Let’s not forget the 100ft between decks in order to show some visually cool action sequences in the turbolift!

There are so many frustrating issues with the show and Picard as well, I am afraid. Interestingly enough, I found less problems with Lower Decks. Different producing team, I think and it shows. As I said, when compared to the Expanse, Discovery is not faring well. Even my 16 yr old kid is rather binging on the old TOD episodes rather than watching Disco Season 3. Where it hurts is that, as Star Trek fans, we are already rooting for them, hence why it is so disappointing when they mess up.
    Sovinox wrote: »

Let’s not forget the 100ft between decks in order to show some visually cool action sequences in the turbolift!

There are so many frustrating issues with the show and Picard as well, I am afraid. Interestingly enough, I found less problems with Lower Decks. Different producing team, I think and it shows. As I said, when compared to the Expanse, Discovery is not faring well. Even my 16 yr old kid is rather binging on the old TOD episodes rather than watching Disco Season 3. Where it hurts is that, as Star Trek fans, we are already rooting for them, hence why it is so disappointing when they mess up.

My friend, I agree completely.