Home The Bridge

December Campaign Feedback!

DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in The Bridge
"Next Campaign will go back to 💯 Tiers."

Hopefully, after they look at the numbers, and the player feedback, they will consider the 120 Tier Campaign becoming permanent.

NOTE: Edited title and composed a long apology for the controversy my original post seemed to cause. Stupid tablet jumped away from it, and it was lost. Sorry I upset people.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."

Comments

• Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go on ....
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @Spiff, Spaceman for that explanation.
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, at least some of these comments are not complaints. After all, in Shan's message she said, "We hope you’ll enjoy this special campaign, and we’re looking forward to your feedback."

Yup! I'm not complaining, either. Just correcting Bylo's mistake and answering his question. (Surprisingly, giving us less for our time and our money next month has not built up much positive feedback so far. :tongue: )

But for people who are dismayed over this, don't forget that Ben announced that a mini-event would start within the next three days (Monday at the latest). I appreciated their honest warning that it's unlikely to be another dilithium-fest, and I'm looking forward to seeing what goodies we get instead. It's something to look forward to this weekend that will hopefully more than make up for losing a few campaign tiers.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    Help me understand the issue here, the December campaign extended tiers was announced ahead of time as a one-time event, why is it a problem that campaigns are going back to 100 tiers?

Where are you getting "one-time event" from? I can't see that in the Let It Snow Campaign message.

It says, "We're trying something new with our next campaign by expanding it with additional campaign tiers, as well as adding bonus accolades in the threshold rewards of the next four events!"

At the end of the message, it does say "We hope you'll enjoy this special campaign...", but that's not exactly iron-clad confirmation that the extended tiers would be unique to that event. As every campaign has different crew, every campaign is "special".

As for your question about why it's a problem that campaigns are going back to 100 tiers, you must be new to Timelines! Crew slots continue to be a problem for us longer-term players, and having that extra 4* citation in the campaign helps freeze one of those annoying 3/4 crew left over from non-Galaxy events. Removing the extra tiers from the next campaign will cost most of us a crew slot.

And for paying players, it's already questionable value to spend any amount of money on a game that is shedding players at the rate Timelines is. As others have mentioned, the extra 5* citation can easily be the difference between supporting a franchise you love or not throwing away $10 on a moribund game that may close down within a year.

Extra 4* citations are always a plus, no doubt. But on some level we have to realize that WRG isn’t going to offer so many that people won’t need to 1) buy event packs, 2) wait for a portal update, or 3) give up on getting the fourth star from threshold crew in Faction and Skirmish events. Pain points that are intended to lead players to make purchases are the point of these events, they’re one tool in WRG’s arsenal to keep the lights on.

Could they find better ways to earn our money? I think so, and I think they know that - hence the experiments with expanded campaign tiers, new offer designs, and the like. And regarding campaigns, we should not be so hasty as to expect them to be permanently extended until we see an announcement explicitly saying as much.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hope for a permanent extension of the campaigns in some way. But I also expected the January campaign to be 100 tiers again. As was mentioned several times in this thread the data evaluation has to happen before a final decision can be made.

Imo the test format was rather generous, I would not expect it to return in that fashion. Maybe a behold instead of the 2nd citation? Or a replication of tiers 61 to 80 instead of 81 to 100? Maybe they will test several options to find the sweet spot like they did with the crew. Different usefulness of crew would prevent the comparability though. Whatever... we will see.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    As long as reaching all 120 tiers is a reachable goal - because there were early concerns that some players might not reach all 20 added tiers - we can all agree that this is a good thing.

I tend to disagree. I would rather have an infinite campaign where each and every accolade comes to use but noone can reach "the end".

In other games I play this is for example done with repeating "100+" over and over again with rewards equivalent to dil + chrons + credits/merits.

/edit: I would really like to see higher VIPs being incentivized not only with finishing quicklier but also actually getting more. Keeping the lights on, you know...
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
    As long as reaching all 120 tiers is a reachable goal - because there were early concerns that some players might not reach all 20 added tiers - we can all agree that this is a good thing.

I tend to disagree. I would rather have an infinite campaign where each and every accolade comes to use but noone can reach "the end".

In other games I play this is for example done with repeating "100+" over and over again with rewards equivalent to dil + chrons + credits/merits.

/edit: I would really like to see higher VIPs being incentivized not only with finishing quicklier but also actually getting more. Keeping the lights on, you know...

I absolutely see where you’re coming from - I’ll finish tiers 119 and 120 tomorrow and still have a few days of useless accolades. But an infinite number of tiers, with the last 20 or so just repeating, would ultimately require a different or additional method of awarding accolades. Even with the accolades that have been put in rewards, there is a hard cap on the number that can be accumulated during a campaign.

Maybe tying them to purchases (like some of those third-week-of-the-campaign LTOs in recent months that contained some catch-up accolades), having additional event threshold accolades, or adding some to VIP rewards is the way to go there? I dunno, but more accolades would need to be made available to reasonably go much past 140-150 tiers.

Then there’s another concern that loops back into the larger discussion in this topic - infinite tiers, or even just an expansion to 140, 175, or 200 tiers, means some or more people will miss out. Then those people come here to complain that they are missing out, or that Evil WRG is just trying to soak them for more money, or that WRG Only Cares About Whales, or whatever the rant du jour happens to be. Then other people will point out that this is just a game, that you shouldn’t be so stressed about things. Then yet other people will get huffy and shouty and declare that the second group is nothing but Shills and Defense Trolls. Then more people give up on the forum and retreat to Discord/Line/Slack, further jacking up the troll-to-human ratio. It’s a vicious cycle.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    "Next Campaign will go back to 💯 Tiers."

Just ignore what felt like unanimous support for the new format, as implemented. Maybe use that format as a "placeholder" until new rewards for extra levels can be worked out. If ANY change is indicated. The company that does one of the most popular Marvel games just found out that ignoring player feedback has consequences.......

I took this campaign as a special occurrence, like how Christmas is special once a year. Would I like to see it become a permanent fixture within the game? Certainly! :) And I also understand TP is trying something new and will need to look at that data to decide whether or not to keep it at all, continue to use it as a special happenstance, or use it each month as part of a new campaign format. In any case, the 100 tiers for $9.99 is still worth the investment even if I do not care for the featured characters imho.

Having said that, there is validity to some of the sentiment echoed in this thread. While I enjoy this game and the people who are a part of it, at least for me, the game is getting stale. While the ability to purchase inexpensive, shiny toys is nice, the effect is short lived (and the size of honor debt is inconceivable). I appreciate that WRG is trying to spice it up a bit, and I would like to see more in the way of evolving missions, new event styles, portal updates, etc. Just my two cents. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Edit: @Dirk Gunderson I loved the Veruca reference. I just used it in another thread recently. :D #verucawantsitnow!
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this campaign extra levels was a Christmas present.
  • edited December 2020

But for people who are dismayed over this, don't forget that Ben announced that a mini-event would start within the next three days (Monday at the latest)

As someone who considers themselves pretty informed about this game - this forum our discord and, you know, actually playing and paying - may I ask where you get this information from? I hear alot about 'Ben' but have never seen any communications from him :-/

Many thanks.

But for people who are dismayed over this, don't forget that Ben announced that a mini-event would start within the next three days (Monday at the latest)

As someone who considers themselves pretty informed about this game - this forum our discord and, you know, actually playing and paying - may I ask where you get this information from? I hear alot about 'Ben' but have never seen any communications from him :-/

Many thanks.

WRG Ben (someone please help me remember his job title...QA Lead or something like that) makes occasional appearances on Timelines Talks. Many episodes ago, we were promised a mini-event in “late fall.” Even if you use the strictest definition of the seasons (by way of the solstices and equinoxes) there are only a few more days before that promise will be broken.
  • Even if Ben was saying things, today is Friday and if we are to have some special mini event on Monday then wouldn’t they have let us know by now?
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • PenguinJim wrote: »
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    Help me understand the issue here, the December campaign extended tiers was announced ahead of time as a one-time event, why is it a problem that campaigns are going back to 100 tiers?

Where are you getting "one-time event" from? I can't see that in the Let It Snow Campaign message.

It says, "We're trying something new with our next campaign by expanding it with additional campaign tiers, as well as adding bonus accolades in the threshold rewards of the next four events!"

At the end of the message, it does say "We hope you'll enjoy this special campaign...", but that's not exactly iron-clad confirmation that the extended tiers would be unique to that event. As every campaign has different crew, every campaign is "special".

As for your question about why it's a problem that campaigns are going back to 100 tiers, you must be new to Timelines! Crew slots continue to be a problem for us longer-term players, and having that extra 4* citation in the campaign helps freeze one of those annoying 3/4 crew left over from non-Galaxy events. Removing the extra tiers from the next campaign will cost most of us a crew slot.

And for paying players, it's already questionable value to spend any amount of money on a game that is shedding players at the rate Timelines is. As others have mentioned, the extra 5* citation can easily be the difference between supporting a franchise you love or not throwing away $10 on a moribund game that may close down within a year.

I am on your side too, but it does say: "...of the next four events".
    Why am I on your side? I need around 30.000.000 of Honor to immortalize my full Legendary crew roster, I just didn't make the account in time but Datacore's app tells that I need 42 years to fulfill that achievement!