Home The Bridge
Options

Age Question at Log in?

kyhvrtow81pn.png

Why is this necessary?
Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.

Comments

• Options
    JellybabyJellybaby ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Yeah what the hell is this crap

Edit
    Managed to get 120 accepted on my other character, not updated on android yet but steam auto updates.
  • Options
    :neutral:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is part of various legal requirements we need to abide by.
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    This is part of various legal requirements we need to abide by.

OK thanks Shan :)
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Thanks for clarifying :smile:

Captain Level 99

• Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Privacy laws and such have added a lot of requirements lately :)
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    Privacy laws and such have added a lot of requirements lately :)

Do you know if this is a one-time thing for each player, or will we get such a popup randomly for now on?
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can understand needing to know if one is an adult, but I can't see why you would need to know more than that. I haven't run across any other similar apps that have this requirement.

Help us understand why giving you this data adds value from a privacy standpoint.

It is about needing to know whether you are an adult of a child of a certain age.
    This has various implications regarding privacy laws and/or child protection laws such as COPPA in the USA.
  • Options
    it didn't like the answer 198
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can understand needing to know if one is an adult, but I can't see why you would need to know more than that. I haven't run across any other similar apps that have this requirement.

Help us understand why giving you this data adds value from a privacy standpoint.

It is about needing to know whether you are an adult of a child of a certain age.
    This has various implications regarding privacy laws and/or child protection laws such as COPPA in the USA.

Thank you for the clarity. And thank you also for the better communications today. It helps.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't get it when I signed in. Went live after Trait Update, or later?

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    JellybabyJellybaby ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

Currently via steam and facebook, not on ios or android yet.

I wish I could revert update on steam version, I hate it, new crew button bringing up menu is worse than the whole event hub thing.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jellybaby wrote: »

Currently via steam and facebook, not on ios or android yet.

I wish I could revert update on steam version, I hate it, new crew button bringing up menu is worse than the whole event hub thing.

I don't seem to all the new buttons and whatnot. I guess that is why!!!!!
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    A woman never reveals her age.
    Plus, it wouldn't matter what ads I get. Most don't work right and a lot of the ones that do are in Spanish. I do fairly okay in Spanish, but my Latin and, probably, German are better.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    but is giving out your age not violating privacy in itself?

And to be clear, asking for your age or any information is not violating privacy. What a company does with the information may violate privacy. So companies want to minimize what they collect to avoid those issues.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could see age being used to tailor ads, like certain games not being appropriate for younger players. Then again I keep getting them in Spanish, so what's the point really?
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    People here will complain about anything. Go to any website that promotes an alcoholic beverage and you will see something similar. I suspect since there are in game purchases that can be made with real currency, they have put this in place for players to enter a whopping one time and there is nothing preventing you from entering inaccurate info.
  • Options
    I could see age being used to tailor ads, like certain games not being appropriate for younger players. Then again I keep getting them in Spanish, so what's the point really?

Your post made me chuckle :smile:

Captain Level 99

• Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just a simple, “Are you 18 or older” question with basic “yes” and “no” answer boxes?

Presumably because different countries have different legal requirements so a simple 18+ isn't going to be sufficient everywhere. The alternative would be to tailor the question based on the user's location but that seems like it would be a lot more work and also prone to more problems. This option is simple, straightforward and universal.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if I say I'm 13, I get better ads?
  • Options
    So if I say I'm 13, I get better ads?

No. If you're on Apple you get booted.

(kidding - but the IOS app store does have the game rated at 17!).

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/star-trek-timelines/id1001250333