Home The Bridge
Options

Crew leveling ‘surprises’

Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not a complaint thread, and not looking to start anymore screaming or DB hate, let me state that up front.

I finished Klingon Quark a few weeks ago, around 125 immortals for me. I finished the infamous Captain Proton for this current event. I sat back and said, well self, those are the two you always hear about, and so the rest should be all down hill. I picked up Rogue Harry Kim for next week. And hit a brick wall of 7 more legendaries to build... Yes the wiki could have avoided the shock had I gone there first and not when I hit level 80. But I am curious who other people found to be shocking to level, or a challenge. I’m at 174 immortal crew (all greys and greens except Chapel who just won’t drop, 18 legends and a spattering of blues and purples) and clearly Harry won’t be earning me 750 Dilithium this week (or next), but I have heard 3* Troi can be a grind and we all know Quark and Proton. But who snuck up you and hit you with a challenge? If nothing else, this can be a fun story share and maybe help some newbies order their leveling. Please no DB hate or vitriol, the builds are made, they won’t change, and there are hundreds of other threads to pour that into. Let’s keep this one light, please :)

Comments

• Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Just immortalize a second copy of a grey crew member to get the achievement.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No reason for that, I have multiple blues at 80, and multiple purples at 90. The achievement will come, it just won’t be Rogue Harry Kim. I am sporting 255 crew slots, room isn’t a huge issue for me.
  • Options
    I remember Danara Pel being a huge pain to level.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danara was my 2nd or 3rd immortal character (I played really wonky in the beginning, had very little direction), so I probably didn’t appreciate her challenge. She was my 1st gauntlet “powerhouse” at 430 med which is laughable now, but she has a special place in my heart.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few that stick out

The, 1*, 2*, and 4* Chakotay are all difficult (3* Boxer Chakotay wasn't that bad)

1*s - Botanist Keiko - wasn't really difficult since I leveled her recently and keep a small supply of science experiments on hand, but she used more than a 1* deserves (20 basic and 3 2*)

2*s - Persis was noticably harder than the other 2* crew I was leveling for cadets at the beginning

3*s - most of these seemed in line with the crew cost comparison, and nothing stands out, though I haven't leveled deanna troi yet

4*s - I'll reiterate Klingon Quark and Proton Paris as being difficult, along with GI Chakotay. I haven't leveled Rogue Harry Kim yet and probably will put him off even longer after seeing this thread.

• Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    You make a great point with 2* Chakotay. For his “value” and stats, his build was potentially worse than Proton’s, although Quark wears the crown of worst build ever in my book. Rogue Harry is from a throw away episode, and with 7 legendary builds I would think stats over 626 or gauntlet rolls over 300, but he manages neither. It’s like building Chakotay all over for me, just to freeze. He may sit at 80 for a long time and hope for Dabo/Gauntlet chests to equip him.
  • Options
    Rogue Harry Kim, was the most frustrating. He sat for months at lvl 60. Then a month or so at 70, then weeks at 80, now finally at 90, and will probably stay there for a while.

Mirror Phlox has been almost equally frustrating. Got him to 100 a few weeks ago, but still trying to find the 1500 chrons or 1Mil credits to FE him.

And then there are the Klingons...

After the month long Klingon Event, I ended with almost a dozen 4* and 5* Klingons. ALL requiring the SAME items to level, so that has taken...5 months? Most are 100 with a couple at 80 & 90. Still need a bunch of 3* & 4* items to FE a handful of them. General Martok, Kortar, Miral & Klaa all need the same items, and I will get to them one at a time.

And then there's Crell Moset... All those bloody 0* Science Experiments. Dozens of them! If it weren't for the fact he has such high Med stat, I would have airlocked him. Many weeks/months spend trying to level him as well.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had GI Chakotay at 4/4 Level 10 forever and eventually airlucked him after I saw he's such a pain to level. Same with Captain Proton and Rogue Harry ... anyway, I think now that I've leveled most of the important crew, I might give all of them a second chance.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    Typically Bashir's, Data's and Geordi's are the worst to level I found.
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    1* Torres shocked me with her difficulty. I have had easier 4*s.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rakal and Bridge Officer Troi were slogs.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interlinks and casings during the Borg event rivaled the Klingon events Nog and bat’leths except they were at least easier to grind. I REALLY hope the next mega isn’t a racial event but something like Mirror Universe or a grand mission with diverse crew. I still hope for my Species 8472 event 5* one day.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crell Moset was worth every science experiment to get him to max. I just diverted my cadet days to grinding them and I let him take a few weeks. He is one of my immortal legends and an all star on a long voyage.
  • Options
    Dr Watson Laforge...still havent finished him...
  • Options
    As some others have said, Doctor LaForge is a bear. However, another unexpectedly difficult challenge was Icheb. I had no idea what I was getting into when I secured him from his event during the Borg Mega. Oh my goodness, his 5* outfit *still* sticks out in my mind. It's the stuff of nightmares.
    First Officer - Task Force April
    Squadron Leader - [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs
  • Options
    [TFA] Celeres[TFA] Celeres ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Rakal and Bridge Officer Troi were slogs.

The 3* version, too. I call this the 'Sirtis Effect.'
    First Officer - Task Force April
    Squadron Leader - [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was shocked by dr chaotica. Suppose to be super easy to level. I was out of faction items. Almost every item for him needed one.

I wish the crew cost finder would treat these faction items as both if you have them or if you do not.

When you are out of the particular faction item a crew needs and that crew has a lot of items that need that faction item, that crew is going to be hard to level.

Right now chronitons are fairly easy to get. Chronitons heavy crew are not going to be as difficult as they once were. Crew that have a few items that are fairly difficult to build can now easily be replicated around. However, some of these items might require 3-5 replicates to build the one item.

I just recently did Colonel Karr, he is another one where almost every item needs a few base ancient film. And I was having a terrible time getting base ancient film during a faction event that had the Federation as one of the factions.
  • Options
    As some others have said, Doctor LaForge is a bear. However, another unexpectedly difficult challenge was Icheb. I had no idea what I was getting into when I secured him from his event during the Borg Mega. Oh my goodness, his 5* outfit *still* sticks out in my mind. It's the stuff of nightmares.

My goodness...i remember...what was going through db's head when they made his 5 star recipe?!!
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I guess all crew that require an excessive amount of the usual suspects (science experiments, holoprogramms, etc.) are a pain in the nads, but what is most difficult is to survive DB's obsession with Klingons (or Klingon themed) event crew. In the past 6 month we had approximately 3.5 billion of those as event crew and thus it was next to impossible to collect as many as needed in a reasonable amount of time. You can argue a lot of things about DB, what is unquestionably true though is that they are not very creative when it comes to provide a diversified crew as event rewards.

Also, my feeling is that Ferengi are usually quite difficult to level up.

And yes, Captain Proton is a pain, which is all the more surprising since he is a pretty worthless crew member...sure he is descent as ship's crew, but for everything else he is not very good.

It all got a bit better since we find an ample supply of replicator rations during voyages. I have two replications per day and can easily do two 4* equipable items per day, sometimes I can even pull off a 5*...with two replications, credits are not a problem for me...
  • Options
    Isn't it just easier to replicate the hard items? I can use the replicator 4 times a day. As long as I've got the federation credits, that takes care of finishing out the level 90 and 100 upgrades in two days if necessary. If I have to I wait until a Saturday when Riker missions pay out like 80,000 credits and just replicate away.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly recommend this website:
    http://ssr.izausomecreations.com/crewcost.html
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicole K wrote: »
    Isn't it just easier to replicate the hard items? I can use the replicator 4 times a day. As long as I've got the federation credits, that takes care of finishing out the level 90 and 100 upgrades in two days if necessary. If I have to I wait until a Saturday when Riker missions pay out like 80,000 credits and just replicate away.

Yes but some of these guys have a literal crap ton of those items. And replicating it at the 4 and 5 star level is pricey.
  • Options

Yes but some of these guys have a literal crap ton of those items. And replicating it at the 4 and 5 star level is pricey.

I've never seen it cost more than 250,000 to replicate the whole item for levels 90 and 100 that's what I've done for a good number of my crew.
  • Options
    Cyrus Redblock was a surprise. 3 legendary equipment at level 100: two derby hats and his revolver. All 3 of them were the exact same formula to build and they weren’t easy at all.
  • Options
    Rakal troi and Klingon Quark were both ridiculous. To insult to injury they aren’t very useful.

Finished proton for this event too and he wasn’t that bad. Everything is easier for me now. I have 4 replicators and a years worth of inventory.
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    GI Chakotay

Oh blast - I don't even want him, I've just ended up with him 4/4 because I try to never throw away a purple unless I have to, and since I could cryo him I kind of feel like I have to... I mean, I don't have to, but I'm that kind of person, I have to.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the definition of pricey.
  • Options
    RNGeverythingRNGeverything ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Rogue Harry Kim, Proton Paris, Danara Pel, Klingon Quark, Mirror Uhura, agent Harris, and any time that I have to make Geordi a toolbox.

Oh and Chief engineer torres. Yeah, that would be a 1*...
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • Options

But sometimes, as I just found out with Niners Kira and Mirror Phlox, it's just cheaper to replicate the single 4* item at 250K, than the 3 individual 4* items required to build that item at 90K each + 25K build cost.

Saturday cadet is great - gets me over 1Mil credits every time with just 1 dil purchase of cadet tix. (plus the daily rewards of course.) Much needed just to get through the week anymore.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was a surprise. :)

p9vhfv5zicgg.png
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")