Home The Bridge
Options

Event Discussion Thread: Galaxy Event In Plain Sight - ME#2 -2021-04-08

Comments

• Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's up with all the CMD/DIP/SCI legendaries lately? Dexa was fun, and I would love to see a bit more diversity in the skillsets.
  • Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been a glut for sure. I am surprised to see 3/3 golds for Adira. It's a repeat of Culber's first 3 variants, and now he has a purple.
  • Options
    Nice there’s a Klingon Torres in the ranked rewards. I have a 1/4 that has a chance of being finished and sent to the freezer. 😁
  • Options
    Happy Culber is Costumed and Exobiology :smile:

Will Barry and Amal Chakotay be recipients of the costumed trait anytime soon?
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's up with all the CMD/DIP/SCI legendaries lately? Dexa was fun, and I would love to see a bit more diversity in the skillsets.

My theory is that WRG is making it so that we don't need to chase every single one. Spork is fusion. Humanaru is faction. Xadira is galaxy. Do one of the three and you have a good card. I don't need all three, so I'll lay back in this galaxy event and let someone else have a top 1,500 spot. I'm good with just the two, Spork and Humanaru. :)

These legendaries are all quite good which will make the event wrap up packs really great.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    It's been a glut for sure. I am surprised to see 3/3 golds for Adira. It's a repeat of Culber's first 3 variants, and now he has a purple.

At this rate, she will have more gold variants than actual episodes.....

Adira was in almost all of season 3 and will definitely be in season 4. I love Adira and if TP wants to give us more I would be happy with that. More Gray too and Culbers and Stamets.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭

At this rate, she will have more gold variants than actual episodes.....

Adira was in almost all of season 3 and will definitely be in season 4. I love Adira and if TP wants to give us more I would be happy with that. More Gray too and Culbers and Stamets.

Agreed.
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    CBS is doing a great job with Discovery. The show is so good and every season is even better.

I think they peaked in season 1, but I may have a little bias. :p

Jason Isaacs was masterful. I would have found a way to keep him in the show even if the narrative needed changing. He didn’t really seem very evil or mirror universe, he was a hard captain making hard calls during a war. I thought his captaincy was refreshing and more realistic than some Federation captains have been.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    CBS is doing a great job with Discovery. The show is so good and every season is even better.

Jason Isaacs was masterful. I would have found a way to keep him in the show even if the narrative needed changing. He didn’t really seem very evil or mirror universe, he was a hard captain making hard calls during a war. I thought his captaincy was refreshing and more realistic than some Federation captains have been.

I still hope Prime Lorca can be found in SNW.
  • Options
    CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭

I am with you, though I still very much enjoyed 2 and, to a lesser extent, 3.

Still holding out hope that Prime Lorca will turn up in SNW.
  • Options

It looks like WRG are doing this on purpose.

Before they did a lot of med skillsets.

Having a month or few month with the same or related skillsets in rewards, sets, lto's etc gives newer players a chance to quickly get crew for those particular voyages. Enabling them to get to 6hr voyage much faster then before even if they only get 1. Of course if they get multiple ones and/or cite that goes even faster.

For established players they are still improvement on roster bringing that 12hr voyage closer and they might be tempted by them as well.
    Yeah you can retrieve former top crew, but these are better...

All this makes it much more tempting to spend real money because you will see fast improvement.
    Smart move.

• Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the biggest reason I liked him so much. He was the war time captain in the trenches. It was different from any other Trek captain, so it felt like exploring a new side of Starfleet. I'm with the others hoping to see Prime Lorca in SNW. Since I haven't talked WRG into putting him in STT yet ;)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

I liked Lorca's character too, but not so much as a captain. I was happy when he turned out to be an impostor. Not because he took hard decisions or because he was seemingly broken by his war experiences - Sisko and Janeway also took hard and sometimes ethically questionable decisions and captain Ransom's episode already showed a captain broken by the circumstances.

The difference with Lorca was that he often acted selfishly. During the "choose your pain" sequence, then when he left Mudd in the Klingon prison as retaliation and when he let Cornwell fall into the Klingon trap, for example. No other Starfleet captain would have done those things, not to protect himself at least. He justified most of his actions with the fact that he believed to be the only one capable of winning the war, because he had the only ship with the right technology, but that's a weird reasoning. It's quite self-aggrandizing to think that no other person could have captained the Discovery. That together with the fact that he was visibly manipulating the crew to make them do what he wanted, gave him a dark and occasionally unpleasant vibe from the beginning.

I think he worked really well as a villain, even though he could have been more nuanced in the ending episodes too, like he was in the beginning. He was still more interesting and complex than season 1 Georgiou, who was fun, but a very one-dimensional villain.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    You say "visibly manipulating the crew" which isn't untrue, but in the beginning, it appeared as though he was motivating and inspiring his crew in ways that previous Trek captains had not. He gave Burnham a chance at redemption. He gave Saru a sense of purpose that he did not seem to have before. Landry seemed to trust him completely, willing to sacrifice her life because she had faith it was in the effort to win the war.

There were indeed those red flags as time went on. It was the beginning though, that made Discovery seem like it had a new type of captain. The rest was taking Trek through a story in a way that previous series had not done.

The Mudd thing bothered me though. Not because it wasn't the Starfleet thing to do. That seemed to be a red flag left intentionally by the writers. What bothered me was how out of character Mudd was. He was always a more light-hearted scoundrel in TOS. Discovery turned him into a vicious son of a gun. That Short Trek was much more on point for the original Mudd character.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I thought the Mudd eps were too dark for the original TOS Mudd but then I rewatched the old TOS Mudd and it was much darker than I remembered and Mudd’s actions were much more criminal, cruel, and less whimsical. It is true that the whole of TOS was lighter themed since they were not delving into a war like Discovery was but I think Rainn Wilson and the Disco writers mostly were on point for Mudd given the darker nature of the show. His character shifted the same amount as the show but the Disco writers were drawing on the quite repugnant things he did in TOS.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    You say "visibly manipulating the crew" which isn't untrue, but in the beginning, it appeared as though he was motivating and inspiring his crew in ways that previous Trek captains had not. He gave Burnham a chance at redemption. He gave Saru a sense of purpose that he did not seem to have before. Landry seemed to trust him completely, willing to sacrifice her life because she had faith it was in the effort to win the war.

There were indeed those red flags as time went on. It was the beginning though, that made Discovery seem like it had a new type of captain. The rest was taking Trek through a story in a way that previous series had not done.

The Mudd thing bothered me though. Not because it wasn't the Starfleet thing to do. That seemed to be a red flag left intentionally by the writers. What bothered me was how out of character Mudd was. He was always a more light-hearted scoundrel in TOS. Discovery turned him into a vicious son of a gun. That Short Trek was much more on point for the original Mudd character.

I think that the writers did a good job with Lorca's foreshadowing. It wasn't supposed to be obvious, so most of the red flags were relatively subtle and open to interpretation. I tought I saw some right from the beginning, others didn't. The audience wanted to like the captain and believe that he was right as much as the fictional crewmen did, so despite all the foreshadowing, most of those who didn't read the fan theories didn't expect the plot twist either. That's one of the things I appreciated about season one.
    Plus the plot twist really made me like Lorca more than I did when I thought that he was supposed to be the good guy. Things went a bit cliche in the Mirror Universe episodes, but generally, to me he was a much more interesting character as a mirror guy than as a supposedly traumatized Starfleet captain. The fact that he fit into the Prime Universe with ease, that he adapted to it and accepted some of its values, was what allowed him to take advantage of everyone as efficiently as he did. The fact that he actually respected the crew and cared about them, but not enough to change his plans, made him a lot more interesting than Georgiou was or than his fake identity would have been.

• Options
    edited April 2021

I think that the writers did a good job with Lorca's foreshadowing. It wasn't supposed to be obvious, so most of the red flags were relatively subtle and open to interpretation. I tought I saw some right from the beginning, others didn't. The audience wanted to like the captain and believe that he was right as much as the fictional crewmen did, so despite all the foreshadowing, most of those who didn't read the fan theories didn't expect the plot twist either. That's one of the things I appreciated about season one.

Plus the plot twist really made me like Lorca more than I did when I thought that he was supposed to be the good guy. Things went a bit cliche in the Mirror Universe episodes, but generally, to me he was a much more interesting character as a mirror guy than as a supposedly traumatized Starfleet captain. The fact that he fit into the Prime Universe with ease, that he adapted to it and accepted some of its values, was what allowed him to take advantage of everyone as efficiently as he did. The fact that he actually respected the crew and cared about them, but not enough to change his plans, made him a lot more interesting than Georgiou was or than his fake identity would have been.
    Even in the mirror universe where he went way more evil, he was trying to destroy Emperor Georgiou who was killing all life everywhere with her Spore reactor. That certainly was not mentioned as a motive and whether Lorca would have done the same as Georgiou once in power we cannot know. Discovery rehabilitated Mirror Georgiou but she was certainly evil in her own right as well.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Even in the mirror universe where he went way more evil, he was trying to destroy Emperor Georgiou who was killing all life everywhere with her Spore reactor. That certainly was not mentioned as a motive and whether Lorca would have done the same as Georgiou once in power we cannot know. Discovery rehabilitated Mirror Georgiou but she was certainly evil in her own right as well.
    I didn't want to imply that he was more evil than Georgiou. I actually meant that he was a complex and nuanced character, as opposed to Georgiou who was a one-dimensional villan (pure evil and almost nothing else).

I don't think season 1 of DSC would have had any space left for a rehabilitation plot. It was too fast paced, action packed and focused on Burnham as a protagonist.

In my opinion Lorca needed to be an impostor, precisely because the show is a Star Trek show and the protagonists and co-protagonists are expected to be undisputably good people. He could have been a Section 31 morally ambiguous character instead of a mirror universe villain, but it would have been weird to have him as a true Starfleet captain. He was a fascinating character, but on several occasions before the plot twist he proved to be selfish, manipulative, callous and self-aggrandizing. Following the "bad things happened to him, so now he's a bad person" cliché would have been worse in my opinion. And if they had truly taken the show down a GoT-like path of general moral ambiguity, there would have been even more complaints from fans.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I think the biggest problems Disco writers ran into was that the show had to be very action packed the first season to pull back in viewers and that mirror universe people have generally been so one dimensional. Why are they evil? Why do their motives often seem so simple and straight forward? Like it was a fun idea to show bizarro world but it was never taken much further in the other treks. Lorca suddenly lacked depth when he was revealed as mirror. I would have liked them hold off the mirror universe stuff till season 2.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    I think the biggest problems Disco writers ran into was that the show had to be very action packed the first season to pull back in viewers and that mirror universe people have generally been so one dimensional. Why are they evil? Why do their motives often seem so simple and straight forward? Like it was a fun idea to show bizarro world but it was never taken much further in the other treks. Lorca suddenly lacked depth when he was revealed as mirror. I would have liked them hold off the mirror universe stuff till season 2.

I don't really think that he lacked depth per se, since he was still the same person he had been for the whole season. I think there would have been the option to explore a very complex mirror character with that plot twist. They didn't do that and he became a bit cartoonish instead, but the concept was nice. He's still a more complex mirror character than any other before him, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a month or few month with the same or related skillsets in rewards, sets, lto's etc gives newer players a chance to quickly get crew for those particular voyages. Enabling them to get to 6hr voyage much faster then before even if they only get 1. Of course if they get multiple ones and/or cite that goes even faster.
    That's an interesting thought, I hadn't considered it.

I pursue citations this way. When I started buying gold citations I focused my efforts on DIP/ENG and SCI/MED (which complimented all of the CMD/SEC I had from megas and what not). This helped ensure I had some solid crew for each attribute, and some voyage pairs that would let me shoot a lot further.

Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    JayBeezy wrote: »

I don't consider Barry as in a costume. He may be undercover, but those are every day fashions in the 2370s.

Tbh, I don’t really know if i’d consider him costumed either, it’s just the fact that it’s a costumed mega and the reoccurring 5* doesn’t have the trait that bugs me. It’s kind of like if for the Borg mega, instead of the Borg Queen as the 5* we had someone else who was still Borg related, but didn’t have the main trait. Or for the Hologram mega, they had someone who was simply using the holodeck, not a real hologram with the “featured” trait included. Could be just me though 🖖
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    JayBeezy wrote: »

I don't consider Barry as in a costume. He may be undercover, but those are every day fashions in the 2370s.

Tbh, I don’t really know if i’d consider him costumed either, it’s just the fact that it’s a costumed mega and the reoccurring 5* doesn’t have the trait that bugs me. It’s kind of like if for the Borg mega, instead of the Borg Queen as the 5* we had someone else who was still Borg related, but didn’t have the main trait. Or for the Hologram mega, they had someone who was simply using the holodeck, not a real hologram with the “featured” trait included. Could be just me though 🖖

You mean like Courier Burnham in a Mirror Universe mega? Or Suspiria in a Caregiver mega? Mega event crew and trait consistency has not been one of WRG's strong suits.