Home The Bridge
Options

What's Next for the Game?

Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2021 in The Bridge
After some missteps like Adira-gate and others, the developers seem to have redeemed themselves the last couple of months with the honor sale, free characters like George & Gracie, some pretty good deals including this weeks, introduction of the crew retrieval system, some collections, etc. I think they erased most of the ill will they received for those that stuck around.

What's next? I hope an early portal update, new episodes (maybe once a quarter?), new cadet challenges (or maybe a reset 1-2 times per year), some tweak to the arena, etc.

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think I’ve seen a suggestion to tweak expedition events into new episodes before, but I like it! If expeditions have truly ended as an event type (which I’d be ok with), this does seem like a great way to expand some game content.

Maybe make one into a distress call (so the difficulty can be set low-to-mid to expand content for newer players) and use the others as the backbone for new episodes and scale the difficulty up to account for ongoing power creep.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I've suggested it before, but it really would help their bottom line too. Some have been rerun three times already in five years. They have most of what they need to become an episode in place. A few changes to the skill thresholds to make them fit in order, maybe add a ship battle or two, set some locked nodes, etc. and they could release an episode. Even if they don't want to retire the type officially, there are certainly a couple of events that they could hang up. New episodes, good business, it would be a win-win.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not interested in more cadet challenges or a reset of existing ones unless you can utilize frozen crew for them. Slots are at a premium without needing space for 2* and 3* cards.
  • Options
    Update the 5* ships on the portal and Voyages
  • Options
    KPan [ISA]KPan [ISA] ✭✭✭✭
    The ability to trade polestars or swap them with other players would be a nice next step for crew retrieval.
    But I would really really love at least a new distress call or episode.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've said new episodes aren't a top priority right now. They've never touched cadet missions since they've been launched. I doubt they'll do it now.

What they've hinted at are future enhancements to crew retrieval. I doubt they'll be doing any kind of trading, but I could see some other way to make use of retrieval. Maybe retrieval exclusive crew that you need to collect the right polestars for.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    What they've hinted at are future enhancements to crew retrieval. I doubt they'll be doing any kind of trading, but I could see some other way to make use of retrieval. Maybe retrieval exclusive crew that you need to collect the right polestars for.

I kind of really like this idea. They've done exclusive crew for every other part of the game, so it makes sense. But it's got to be possible to single them out with the right traits - not something where your best shot is 50/50.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've said new episodes aren't a top priority right now. They've never touched cadet missions since they've been launched. I doubt they'll do it now.

There were no cadets on Saturdays for the first few years. As people complained about credits being a bottleneck, they added Saturday cadets with credits as the reward about what, two years ago or so?

• Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    There use to be no cadet missions on Saturday and Sunday. So they did add cadet missions but it was a while ago.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    There used to be no cadet missions period. Then they added Monday to Friday. Then they added weekends. But even the weekends used the same mission designs as other days. It was just 3* crew and new rewards.

But once any of them were added they haven't been touched. They're unlikely to go in now and change them. Unless they can somehow be tied to a new revenue raiser.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

I kind of really like this idea. They've done exclusive crew for every other part of the game, so it makes sense. But it's got to be possible to single them out with the right traits - not something where your best shot is 50/50.

100% it has to be possible to single them out. It may take a difficult set of polestars to do it. But the RNG of that will be enough. There is no need to force extra RNG of non- guaranteed crew.
  • Options
    Different kind of events would be what I'm hoping for. 3 is simply not enough to keep things fresh.
    Somehow to recycle polestars, I'm sure starfleet has a higher chance of dropping.
    I'd also like mini events, it doesn't need to be much, just like temporary achievements but they last a week, with a nice prize at the end, maybe some quantum?
    Just small things to keep it from going stale
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Fix the bugs! Ad bugs seems to be the latest victim of the 'spaghetti code'.

Maybe an update from Admiral Erin - product owner - on the direction of the game. Feels like years since we heard anything from her.
  • Options
    KPan [ISA]KPan [ISA] ✭✭✭✭
    They should definitely do something with the polestars. I already habe 10 "human" ones that I'm never going to use. Maybe you could convert 10 of one into a "negative human", so that all humans are excluded.

Also, right now you can only get rarity and skill constellations from events and trait constellations from scans. Just make it random. I wouldn't mind picking up a 5* polestar from a scan. :)

Rarity and skill polestars can be obtained by scans, I have gotten a skill constellation from a scan. But the chances are so low, there is only one Rarity constellation just like there is only one Augment Picard constellation for example.

A negative polestar would be cool, but what I would realistically see them doing is at some point allowing ppl to swap 3 or 5 unwanted polestars for a single random constellation. On timelines talks during the launch Ben mentioned that they don't want us to get rid of our polestars. This was in response to why can't we use them for replications or something. This makes me think they have a plan for useless or excess polestars.
    I don't believe they will allow players to sell them for dil, credits or any currency, but the chances small that they could eventually allow someone to trade a Trill for a Brutal for example. Perhaps within the fleet. But this seems really really unlikely compared to just scrapping 3 poles for a "reroll".
  • Options
    TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    Fix the bugs! Ad bugs seems to be the latest victim of the 'spaghetti code'.

Maybe an update from Admiral Erin - product owner - on the direction of the game. Feels like years since we heard anything from her.

This, PLEASE. The ads that begin with the Pacman almost always crash my app. Anytime I see it, I roll my eyes. I generally save my warps for double loot on purple drops when I’m building equipment, so I find these crashes very frustrating. I’m always game for new content, but at the end of the day I’d rather see the bugs ironed out first.

ofj9gvilnvkg.png
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would luv to see a new game mode or new event that makes good use of
    my crew.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Would luv to see a new game mode or new event that makes good use of my crew.

Now that we have a “scavenger hunt”, sort of (scans—> cons—> poles —> retrieval), perhaps this idea could be a gateway to those new game modes and events you mentioned:

64welzrpl1yq.jpeg
    I mean, the Galaxy Mapp is sadly underutilized for all of the real estate it hogs in the game, IMO. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Considering....coincidence or not....it took after that “incident we won’t mention” and the game has been on a rather good roll. I am pleased with what has been offered and given to us, that said, asking for what others have asked here would seem redundant so I will just say please keep up the good work and we shall all strive to LLAP.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Aside from the stuff commonly mentioned (ie: more single-player content and new event types), it would be fun to have non-event goals for fleets or possibly the entire player-base to try and accomplish together. We have daily tasks for individual players and fleets, and one major event per week (active 5/7 days each week in North America). What about a set of month-long tasks that can act as stretch-goals for a fleet (and/or all players) to work towards? The rewards could be premium pulls, dilithium, constellations or polestars, quantum, etc...
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have been anxiously (and sadly) awaiting the new Event type promised for release at the beginning of the year, which then promptly got relegated to the back burner in favor of the Crew Retrieval (which I have only used once.)

Even occasional mini events Ben spoke of for Mondays/Tuesday/Wednesdays would be a small but welcome change. Either that or multi level Voyages would help alleviate some boredom.

I suspect we will never get a new gauntlet system/upgrade since ST Legends came out and is basically just an upgraded gauntlet from what we have, but something new and different would be a hugely welcome change!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have been anxiously (and sadly) awaiting the new Event type promised for release at the beginning of the year, which then promptly got relegated to the back burner in favor of the Crew Retrieval (which I have only used once.)

Even occasional mini events Ben spoke of for Mondays/Tuesday/Wednesdays would be a small but welcome change. Either that or multi level Voyages would help alleviate some boredom.

I suspect we will never get a new gauntlet system/upgrade since ST Legends came out and is basically just an upgraded gauntlet from what we have, but something new and different would be a hugely welcome change!

I'm enjoying crew retrieval, but it still amazes me they thought that was what players wanted over a new event type or game mode.
  • Options
    I can't really complain about crew retrieval, since it already allowed me to retrieve 4 cards on my top 5 crew wishlist (the fifth is Prisoner Kim and I have the polestars ready for when he will be added to the portal).

But I agree that it would have been a lot more fun if the feature had involved crew use or at least more strategy and planning as opposed to the RNG and waiting structure.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like crew retrieval, and I think WRG_Ben mentioned that they plan to expand it, but... I am also in the new event type camp. From the last time I conducted a poll, I think new event type was the #2 request from we forum folks. I think Crew Retrieval counts as a game mode, which was the #1 request. I'd say the devs are trying to give us what we want. I hope they add a good update to crew retrieval, since that seems like the road map. I really want that new event type, though.

I'm no fan of expedition, but I liked how they broke the monotony. What I would really like to see is a voyage-type event. There's a lot of us here who really like voyages. It's probably the most popular game mode. I think it would make a lot of players happy.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like crew retrieval, and I think WRG_Ben mentioned that they plan to expand it, but... I am also in the new event type camp. From the last time I conducted a poll, I think new event type was the #2 request from we forum folks. I think Crew Retrieval counts as a game mode, which was the #1 request. I'd say the devs are trying to give us what we want. I hope they add a good update to crew retrieval, since that seems like the road map. I really want that new event type, though.

I'm no fan of expedition, but I liked how they broke the monotony. What I would really like to see is a voyage-type event. There's a lot of us here who really like voyages. It's probably the most popular game mode. I think it would make a lot of players happy.

I wouldn't call crew retrieval a game mode. Voyages was a new game mode. Gauntlet was a new game mode. Arena was a new game mode. They gave us something new and different to do with our crew. They gave us a reason to prioritize crew that we might have been ignoring before. Crew Retrieval is a glorified new pack. It does not give us anything new to do with our crew. It provides no reason to prioritize crew that we were ignoring before.