Home The Bridge
Options

What's Next for the Game?

2»

Comments

• Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I agree another chapter isn't worth much, would love to have some more options for farming via ship battles. For example, a ship battle with ID Codes would be awesome.

And basic Coffee.
    And hyperspanners.
    And, and, and a lot of other items!
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1495 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed @This Sisko1 and @EnderW. As I recall, the Klingon distress call was promoted as a solution to the absence of key items from space battles, but it mostly missed the mark on that front.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding costumed, Klingon, mirror, exobiology to all crew for a day so that I can finish those collections. :)
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    I like crew retrieval, and I think WRG_Ben mentioned that they plan to expand it, but... I am also in the new event type camp. From the last time I conducted a poll, I think new event type was the #2 request from we forum folks. I think Crew Retrieval counts as a game mode, which was the #1 request. I'd say the devs are trying to give us what we want. I hope they add a good update to crew retrieval, since that seems like the road map. I really want that new event type, though.

I'm no fan of expedition, but I liked how they broke the monotony. What I would really like to see is a voyage-type event. There's a lot of us here who really like voyages. It's probably the most popular game mode. I think it would make a lot of players happy.

I wouldn't call crew retrieval a game mode. Voyages was a new game mode. Gauntlet was a new game mode. Arena was a new game mode. They gave us something new and different to do with our crew. They gave us a reason to prioritize crew that we might have been ignoring before. Crew Retrieval is a glorified new pack. It does not give us anything new to do with our crew. It provides no reason to prioritize crew that we were ignoring before.

We have different standards for a "game mode" then. I would argue they would have to add some new stat or feature to each card in order to give you a reason to change the way you prioritize crew. They seem to have maxed out the ways we can use existing stats.

Proficiency = gauntlet
    Base = shuttles
    Prof + Base = voyage & story
    Ship ability = arena
    Traits = collection
    Variants of crew = events

I see no way to get players to change the way they already prioritize crew, except a labor intensive process of adding a stat or something to a very large swath (if not all) existing crew. What they can do is give us something to spend time doing. I like to check and see who I can retrieve from time to time. Can I add to a collection? Is there a top voyager (like Sinister Picard) who I can retrieve? Maybe a variant of a favorite character who was introduced in Tuesday packs, which I avoid. It's a way to spend time in the game that results in acquiring crew. Frankly, if it's more like a pack to you, then you're not narrowing your choices to get exactly who you want. (Yes, I realize that in a few cases that is impossible.) Packs are fairly random unless you just bludgeon them with dilithium to get who you want.

To be fair, you might like crew retrieval about as much as I like gauntlet (not much at all). But I find them both to be game modes all the same. If you disagree because no crew are needed to use it, then I can respect that. I would also like a new way to use the extensive roster that I've built over the years. Maybe a second voyage that can only use SR and lower. Maybe some sort of "infinite mode" where you can play until all crew are exhausted/fatigued. Maybe some sort of star base defense mode like @Bylo Band suggested many moons ago. Maybe some sort of fleet-wide sector defense mode. I'm sure the devs could pick something out of Make It So that would be fun.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even something simple for us players (but very challenging on the programming side I'm sure)

Squadron vs. Squadron Arena Battles!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only "issue" I see with your plan is tying the merger of the Ferengi to an episode (step 2) -- while it's a change to US currently playing, if the merger occurs in an episode then that implies that new players will still start with 2 factions until they complete said episode, which I think would be a coding nightmare (for the people with not the greatest track record on programming consistency).

I think the merger would have to be system wide as a server update and not tied to a game mechanic.
  • Options
    dext74 wrote: »
    The only "issue" I see with your plan is tying the merger of the Ferengi to an episode (step 2) -- while it's a change to US currently playing, if the merger occurs in an episode then that implies that new players will still start with 2 factions until they complete said episode, which I think would be a coding nightmare (for the people with not the greatest track record on programming consistency).

I think the merger would have to be system wide as a server update and not tied to a game mechanic.

The episode would purely be a story reason for the merge. Mechanically, I would expect it to just happen as part of version 8.1.0 update. Then the chapter could drop at the same time to keep continuity in item availability and give us a story explanation for the merge. I suppose I could have explained and broken that down more clearly.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But once the merger happens, what does the episode do? Do they rewrite it for the same missions but with a different story?
  • Options
    dext74 wrote: »
    But once the merger happens, what does the episode do? Do they rewrite it for the same missions but with a different story?

The episode is static. Never changes.

Step 1) They merge the factions.
    Step 2) Release Chapter 11.

Chapter 11 is a story about Ferengi Alliance and Traditionalists reconciling their differences and unifying. (Who couldn't use a little unity these days?) At some point the Kazon are no longer needed as mercenaries, so they go back to the Delta Quadrant and create a new empire with the Hirogen.

The episodes in Chapter 11 tell the same story to every captain who plays them. No need to ever change them. They just become the next chapter of the story.

New players will only every have one Ferengi faction after the merger. The only ways they will know there were two factions is if they glean it from the previous story chapters or ask a player who knows.

And now I see a programming problem. There is a chapter where you have to choose between the two factions. Maybe that could be replaced with Ferengi vs Kazon / Delta Quadrant Empire for purposes of faction reputation. It doesn't have to be great, as long as they explain the realignment in Chapter 11.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d like more missions on the map in different quadrants, that also have evolving rewards. It’d be nice to have to solve some issue to be able to use a worm hole, Borg Transwarp conduit, or some other way to get to different quadrants.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    I like crew retrieval, and I think WRG_Ben mentioned that they plan to expand it, but... I am also in the new event type camp. From the last time I conducted a poll, I think new event type was the #2 request from we forum folks. I think Crew Retrieval counts as a game mode, which was the #1 request.

I get what you're saying when you call it a game mode, but I was expecting that a new game mode would be something I'd use more than once every 10 days for a minute or two.

(...and that's only if I don't spend my credits on the replicator to get the high-tier equipment that I no longer get from campaigns.)
  • Options
    I like crew retrieval, and I think WRG_Ben mentioned that they plan to expand it, but... I am also in the new event type camp. From the last time I conducted a poll, I think new event type was the #2 request from we forum folks. I think Crew Retrieval counts as a game mode, which was the #1 request.

I get what you're saying when you call it a game mode, but I was expecting that a new game mode would be something I'd use more than once every 10 days for a minute or two.

(...and that's only if I don't spend my credits on the replicator to get the high-tier equipment that I no longer get from campaigns.)

I feel your pain on the credits. I think you're discounting the scanning and constellations, though. It's part of crew retrieval and I think most players interact with it daily.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I've always found it interesting that we can get from Earth to Cytheria in the same time we can get from Earth to Vulcan (the length of a short animation). I'd love it if they made it take real time to get to far flung places so that we'd really have to plan our jaunts around the galaxy.

I realise that I may be very much alone in this idea. :lol:

Edited to explain, so five minutes to Vulcan an hour to Cytheria for example.