Home The Bridge
Options

Is it time for a FIFTH shuttle?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    The vote is close to 50/50. That is a bit unexpected. I think it's fairly uncommon for this community to be split so evenly on an issue or suggestion. I definitely appreciate those who have weighed in. It gave me some things to think about. I hadn't considered the extra boosts that might be sold, merits that would be used, or going beyond the fifth shuttle. Then there was an interesting conversation about the pros and cons for newer players. Good stuff, everyone!
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    No.
    The vote is close to 50/50. That is a bit unexpected. I think it's fairly uncommon for this community to be split so evenly on an issue or suggestion. I definitely appreciate those who have weighed in. It gave me some things to think about. I hadn't considered the extra boosts that might be sold, merits that would be used, or going beyond the fifth shuttle. Then there was an interesting conversation about the pros and cons for newer players. Good stuff, everyone!

New Players start with 2 shuttles, which means they must send shuttles 4 times per day to hit the 7 required for dailies.

They can buy the 3rd shuttle, which means they must send shuttles 3 times per day to hit the 7 required for dailies.

They can also buy the 4th shuttle, which means they must send shuttles 2 times per day to hit the 7 required for dailies.

IMO, if we are talking about adding shuttles, anything less than 7 total makes no sense to me in a world where rental shuttles exist. I voted "No" but not because I don't want to add more shuttles, I want a minimum of 7, so I think I and perhaps others have muddled your results by voting "No" when in reality we are an emphatic "YES!!!".
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Ah, but 7 for the daily means you log in now at least twice, unless you have one tanked. It’s all about the clicks for the company, never forget.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    You need to remember point inflation. Adding a shuttle would just inflate the score of the competitive players as they run even more shuttles.

Between tokens and time boosts the faction events are already taking more and more resources. This will just make it worse.

Also running an extra shuttle means needing more crew out of the vault. I'm already at the point where I can't unfreeze all the 4* I could because of crew slots. I don't want pressure to run more shuttles and need more crew as a result.

It may be easier to clear threshold with an extra shuttle. But you can do that with 4 now. So the benefit of clearing threshold doesn't outweigh the cost when trying to rank.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    15 shuttles, think how quick the kickstart would be.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Bylo Band wrote: »

New Players start with 2 shuttles, which means they must send shuttles 4 times per day to hit the 7 required for dailies.

They can buy the 3rd shuttle, which means they must send shuttles 3 times per day to hit the 7 required for dailies.

They can also buy the 4th shuttle, which means they must send shuttles 2 times per day to hit the 7 required for dailies.

IMO, if we are talking about adding shuttles, anything less than 7 total makes no sense to me in a world where rental shuttles exist. I voted "No" but not because I don't want to add more shuttles, I want a minimum of 7, so I think I and perhaps others have muddled your results by voting "No" when in reality we are an emphatic "YES!!!".

I would prefer it if they reduced the number of faction missions required for dailies to 4. With the new ISM tiers, the awful recruitment tool/in-game chat and the fact that more an more fleets are starting to have a maxed starbase, fleet management and recruitment are turning into a frustrating and pointless chore.
  • Options
    JayBeezyJayBeezy ✭✭✭
    Yes.
    I would like a 5th shuttle for daily use. I want to be able to utilize more of my crew regularly.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Bylo Band wrote: »

I would prefer it if they reduced the number of faction missions required for dailies to 4. With the new ISM tiers, the awful recruitment tool/in-game chat and the fact that more an more fleets are starting to have a maxed starbase, fleet management and recruitment are turning into a frustrating and pointless chore.

Shan has known what the chat issues are since at least 2018. The team has done nothing to address those issues. Why? It won’t increase the company’s revenue, unless they take a longer view regarding player retention & LTV. Good luck with that.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    No.
    I voted no because it would just give an even more unfair advantage to those F2P or even the minimal spending players. If you add a 5th shuttle I say make a minimum of 4 seats needed per shuttle no more 3 seaters ;p how do you like them apples
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    this game has not developed a new feature in years, that utilize any of the deluge of new characters being introduced to the game. adding a 5th shuttle puts more of those crew to use, rather than sitting idle in someone's roster or cryo.

there's a lot of people satisfied by the status quo, but the game is so stale that it needs a kick in the pants, which even without a new feature, at least little things like this could help.

but seriously, create new features that use crew, because this game needs something new for us to do, and more ways to get crew isn't one of them.

I think that describes my intention better than I was able to.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Yes.
    Now that a new player has nearly, if not over, 100 crew slots on day one, it's time for 1-3 more free shuttles.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    this game has not developed a new feature in years, that utilize any of the deluge of new characters being introduced to the game. adding a 5th shuttle puts more of those crew to use, rather than sitting idle in someone's roster or cryo.

there's a lot of people satisfied by the status quo, but the game is so stale that it needs a kick in the pants, which even without a new feature, at least little things like this could help.

but seriously, create new features that use crew, because this game needs something new for us to do, and more ways to get crew isn't one of them.

qbc1iednv0f0.png
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Gandozer {SoS}Gandozer {SoS} ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    No.
    And how did you all get the little squares that show how you voted to pop up on your comments, because you know, I wanna run with the cool kids too :D ....<EDIT> Nevermind.... lol
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    To be honest, faction event have become almost impossible to rank above 1500 in unless you plan ahead and stockpile a mass of shuttle boosts. This has lowered my expectations of finishing top 1500 and also lowered my spending on packs so I don't think it was the best decision DB ever made.
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    To be honest, faction event have become almost impossible to rank above 1500 in unless you plan ahead and stockpile a mass of shuttle boosts. This has lowered my expectations of finishing top 1500 and also lowered my spending on packs so I don't think it was the best decision DB ever made.

I’m with you on that. It takes quite an effort to get 1500. The first event I tried hard at was T’Mir. Four shuttles all event with 3* reducers and got 33rd. You could run four shuttles regularly and nab a copy of the legendary when it was top 1000z Now if I run four shuttles regularly I end up in the mid-3000’s. I certainly don’t mind extra effort to get a copy but it didn’t just go to extra effort, it’s way out there now.

• Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    I don't use crew for shuttles unless it is during events. What I mean is, once my voyage is away, I just use the first crew available for each seat, I don't bother messing around putting flavour into the shuttles.

I have enough five star crew to fill at least 30 shuttles, one extra won't make much difference to the normal game.

In events it will cause an imbalance, make it easier to reach current threshold rewards, and so players will be less likely to need boosts and shuttle rents. Either TP will lose money, or they will have to rebalance events, and so make it more difficult for beginners.

With five (or more) shuttles, it will take more time to recover and relaunch them, it can sometimes take me a couple of minutes to do this, which is inconvenient at work because I have to skive to do it.
    (Phone signals from England to the US do not travel at sub-space speeds)

When I started playing, it probably took a year or so to get a decent roster for bonus crew for shuttle events. Adding extra shuttles, and rebalancing threshold rewards would make this game harder for beginner players, and reduce the likelihood of new players playing long term.

If we use crew for other things, then I would prefer another voyage.

If we want to increase the use of crew, we could also give shuttle seats flavour, e.g. a bonus for certain seats (like voyages), or a bonus if the crew fits the shuttle faction.
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Second post, but this is an important point.

An extra shuttle will cost dil.

This would be a one-off payment. Whilst some players may have a stash of dil, others may need to buy a monthly card, so it would create an imbalance between those who have a stash, and those who can stump up the cash straight away, against those who would need to save via a monthly card.

This imbalance could last a month or two, e.g. a player may not be able to afford the monthly card until next pay packet.

Income from this would be a one-off for TP. They would have to change the programming for a single bit of income. I doubt they would want to do this.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

I think that describes my intention better than I was able to.

I completely agree on the need for a new feature and a new way to use our crew. But I currently have 561 crew immortalized and 270 active crew slots. I'm using 12 crew on a voyage and ~16 on weekday shuttles that I don't care about. That's 28 crew and only 12 I really focus on. Increasing that so I'm using 32 crew and still only care about 12 does not meaningfully change the crew I'm using. In fact those 4 extra crew are likely not new crew I'd be using. They're likely other FF 5* crew that didn't match the skills for my current voyage.

So adding a shuttle doesn't change how I interact with the game at all, and has downsides of event VP inflation. By all means push for a new feature that provides a real kick in the pants and lets me use crew I'm not using now. But a 5th shuttles doesn't do that.

• Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Second post, but this is an important point.

An extra shuttle will cost dil.

This would be a one-off payment. Whilst some players may have a stash of dil, others may need to buy a monthly card, so it would create an imbalance between those who have a stash, and those who can stump up the cash straight away, against those who would need to save via a monthly card.

This imbalance could last a month or two, e.g. a player may not be able to afford the monthly card until next pay packet.

Income from this would be a one-off for TP. They would have to change the programming for a single bit of income. I doubt they would want to do this.

while this is true, this is the nature of a pay to win game. people who are willing to pay right away usually reap the benefits/advantages. there are many people here who had 4 shuttles from the beginning while everyone else had 2 ... before free dil was ever a thing, via achievements, events, etc. STT has managed to keep the playing field level somewhat in recent years, far more than other games where paying players gain HUGE advantages over ftp players. But again, this game needs something new and fresh to bring back interest in it.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!