Home The Bridge
Options

Why your game keeps losing my interest

~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2021 in The Bridge
1. Events are stale.
2. Dailies are boring.
3. Nothing new to do.

I was not the first person to highlight these issues. One or another of these have been an issue with your studio since I started playing in 2017.

You, Wicked Realm Games, could do better by listening to us, your players, more often. Otherwise, your holding company’s focus on LTV will leave your studio in churn-mode.

I hope you aren’t there yet, but if so, I’m pretty much gone. Again.
"In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust

Comments

• Options
    Bye and be well, until ur nxt return. 😅

I’m not gone yet, y’all ! 😂
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    Would some small changes in the events spice it up?
    Shouldn't be that difficult.
  • Options
    Peets wrote: »

Thanks for replying, but I think you missed my larger point. The game is now, as construed by the studio, mostly a cash-cow. Thus the new functions that focus on CCG, as opposed to new functions that focus on actually doing something different.
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    Peets wrote: »

Thanks for replying, but I think you missed my larger point. The game is now, as construed by the studio, mostly a cash-cow. Thus the new functions that focus on CCG, as opposed to new functions that focus on actually doing something different.

Yeah, this is a very expensive game. Look alone at the deals, the prizes are very high.
    I only buy the monthly dilithium and the campaign.
  • Options
    Heavens forfend that we players might ask for clarity as to the game’s structure in the future. Shocking behavior, I know.
  • Options
    i hear ya peregrine, im almost burned out beyond reignition lol. stale stale stale and the only new things are new things to buy, besides the absolute grindfest that is skirmish absolutely nothing new to do since 2017 indeed....
  • Options
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    "It's better to burn out than fade away." - Neil Young

"...OK, but for Star Trek Timelines, the opposite is true." - Bylo Band

Star Trek Timelines is the journey, not the destination.....
    It's all about reinventing your purpose, to prevent yourself from burning out.

What He said!
    "Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig" Lazarus Long, Time Enough for Love, R.A. Heinlein
  • Options
     Bri Bri ✭✭✭✭
    Peregrine I hear ya! But don’t scare me 😂🥺. Don’t wanna lose you!!! There have been times where I also felt like quitting out of lack of interest… but a) it’s Star Trek! b) having a chatty / active fleet makes a difference c) sunk cost fallacy, I didn’t want to let something wither away that I’ve spent a lot of time and effort (and money!) on.

Hopefully you’ve got some honour to play with for the sale tomorrow 🖖🏻
  • Options
    Riley600Riley600 ✭✭✭
    I just sent a suggestion to Player Support a few days ago.

I'm a long term player (like you folks I see posting here) and the game really starts to drag at the top. Having most 4* and below crew immortalized, there's not much to do except play in the (often grindy) weekly event and do dailies.

There are almost 500 5* crew in the game now. Maybe instead of keeping them behind a pretty solid paywall, start introducing Year 1 and 2 5* crew to people with more advanced rosters. This seems like it could be done fairly easily, like adding them to voyage loot tables (ie. for voyages over 8 hours) or creating "Legacy 5* Beholds" that drop in the gauntlet or are guaranteed with a high gauntlet finish. Even rejigging starbase rewards (replicator rations are near useless for a reward) to allow players to collect crew. These Legacy 5* Beholds could be offered as event rewards too, in order to spice things up.

I think stuff needs to be definitely needs done to keep the game stimulating for the loyal long term players (who are most likely spenders to varying degrees). For whatever reason, the devs don't really seem to want to turn their attention to that and are putting together a Celestial Market...which doesn't really help when they severely limit how you can acquire Quantum. There are aspects of the game that need some serious tweaking (voyages, gauntlet, events, etc) so I'm not sure why they are building these new features when they need do substantial work on previous ones they've introduced.

I just hope they start introducing some 5* crew into regular game play so I can moving some of my FE 5* that are clogging up my roster into the freezer. It would also give me another reason to keep playing the game (ie. collecting crew).
  • Options
    Seven ConstanzaSeven Constanza ✭✭✭✭
    Riley600 wrote: »
    I just sent a suggestion to Player Support a few days ago.

I'm a long term player (like you folks I see posting here) and the game really starts to drag at the top. Having most 4* and below crew immortalized, there's not much to do except play in the (often grindy) weekly event and do dailies.

I just hope they start introducing some 5* crew into regular game play so I can moving some of my FE 5* that are clogging up my roster into the freezer. It would also give me another reason to keep playing the game (ie. collecting crew).

Another long term player here (since 2016) - I’m playing every day and yes it gets grindy. I like the idea of introducing old legendaries into things like voyages, perhaps after the 8 or 10 hour mark or whatever. I’ve got a bunch of old legendaries that I’d like to finish and freeze. They are definitely not candidates for citation or crew retrieval. I am looking forward to the marketplace to exchange polestars though.
  • Options
    TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    I like your idea of legacy crew added to advanced loot tables. I am never going to use a cite on Cartwright or The Professor, nor am I going to pick them in a Behold over better crew. The only reason I have them taking up crew space is they turned up in lousy Beholds.
  • Options
     Bri Bri ✭✭✭✭
    Trollita wrote: »
    I like your idea of legacy crew added to advanced loot tables. I am never going to use a cite on Cartwright or The Professor, nor am I going to pick them in a Behold over better crew. The only reason I have them taking up crew space is they turned up in lousy Beholds.

Making those decrepit 5* crew drop on voyages makes so much sense.
  • Options
    Wildstar19Wildstar19 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I've been playing since almost the beginning of the game in 2016. I agree that it gets real stale and boring for me in phases. I've gone in and out of those phases multiple times with this game. I'm in the "stale" phase right now. I even got so bored that I started a 2nd account to start over, just to give myself something "new" and see how it would turn out. Unfortunately, I didn't think about how I would be stuck with 2 boring accounts, haha! What I've found that has broken my boredom is deciding on some short term goals and focusing on them. Plus I hold out waiting for them to add a new mission, or something "new" that will inspire me again. Since I rarely bother to compete in events, that's not a big motivator - the events rarely offer anything I really want. Anyway, just wanted to say I agree with your assessment, but to just hang in there in the hope they add something new.
    Hurry up before those things eat Guy!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I have butted heads with @Darth Skippy before, so that response was a bit surprising, but not really. He? expressed the same frustration in different terms, as many others have.

What is striking to me is why this studio does not pre-release stuff to the player base at large. Forget the future events & campaigns for a minute, and look at where their focus is: Card Collection.

The studio has apparently decided to outsource communications. Timelines Talks & the unreleased-data channel on STT Discord are fun, but they are not official communications from the studio that produces this game. As such, how many players are unaware of these outside sources? I have seen TT mentioned in an in-game message, which is sort of cool, but I have never seen the STT Discord mentioned there. Why is that?

The studio has alienated legacy players, is in the process of disinvesting from those whose LTV is now marginal, and does not seem to have any new ideas for something to do with our existing crew.

Was that too harsh? Did I misconstrue something? I think not. I will be here until they turn off the lights, but, damnit, Do Better. Please.
  • Options
    KPan [ISA]KPan [ISA] ✭✭✭✭
    I want another difficulty level on all missions in the episodes and distress calls.
    Set the bar high, make it require the deep roster of legendaries that a lot of us have.
    And add a second voyage feature with super rare crew max. Perhaps a completely different reward and loot structure to that.

I want to habe a use for and a purpose behind all the crew I am collecting. Collections are nice, but it's an achievement and then another frozen crew.

I am at the point where my roster is very good and I have no desire to compete in events for a 1/5 (or even 2/5) that will have no impact on my game or get any use. It's okay for crew I really like, but most weeks it's not worth my time.

I really like this game, but am getting bored. I want something more to do so I can keep playing.
  • Options
    The idea someone had of adding 'decrepit' legendaries to the loot table in Voyages was a good one
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭

The studio has apparently decided to outsource communications.

Chiming in to say that this is incorrect.
    The official channels are still the same as they always been: forums, in-game mail.

• Options
    There has been no new regularly playable content since Voyages, back in Sept 2017, or Gauntlet, in early 2017.

Skirmishes are just arena or ship battles rebranded as an event
    Campaigns were also existing mechanics wrapped into a system where you are encouraged to complete them for additional rewards
    This new constellation/polestar thing isn't content ... it's just an attempt to redefine the game. I'm sorry, but the game did not start out as a collecting game. Not sure how many people were around when Becca reiterated it wasn't such. If it was a CCG, i would have never started playing.

If WRG wants people to keep playing the game, create something truly new that players can do on a daily basis. Create some kind of war system, or "defend a planet/starbase/system" ... something you can utilize the 1000 some odd cards you've created over the years, instead of letting them languish buried on a 5+ year roster or in vault.

I very much agree that something to do with crew just sitting around would be good. We have these Starbases, why not give crew something to do? As a fleet, what about assigning our engineers to study ship design and produce schematics for ships we haven't finished? Get our diplomats out there establishing alliances for increased trade and credit production! Assign a few ships staffed with commanders, security officers, and some doctors to fend off a Romulan/Klingon/Breen attack!

Even if all it is is a reskin of Voyages or Shuttles, I'd like to be able to do something with my 250+ otherwise idle crew.

Also, if this wasn't a CCG originally, what was it? That really does seem like all it is now and has since I started playing.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Becca did not say it was not a CCG. She said it was more than just a CCG.

Edit: The game does devolve more into a CCG the longer you play. New features do tend to make it more than a CCG. But not Crew retrieval or celestial market.

Since I stopped spending money, the game is boring . Disappointing to know for me, if I had not started spending money, I probably would have stopped playing long ago.
  • Options
    I remember someone called Erin saying it wasn't a CCG. It's the way heroin dealers work tbh.
  • Options
    I am KirokI am Kirok ✭✭✭
    the focus of the game should be focused on giving players something to actually do.

I think everyone would agree with that point. It would be nice to have MORE ways to use the cards, like in Voyages.

I can see the lack of card use as a turn off for the whales to keep playing since they have all the cards.
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me the game is now three parts:

a) Card collecting, and now completing collections.
    b) Developing collected cards (ranking them up and adding stars).
    c) The events, which are competitions.

I enjoy the faction events, a lot more than I did when I first started. Sorting out crew, ranking up needed crew, although my 4* roster is almost complete. Ranking up duplicates.

The events are what makes the game for me now, competing for rank, and having to fit the game around me work schedule.

Adding big new things would be difficult, it would change the nature of the game, and those things would become stale after a while.
  • Options
    For me the game is now three parts:

a) Card collecting, and now completing collections.
    b) Developing collected cards (ranking them up and adding stars).
    c) The events, which are competitions.

I enjoy the faction events, a lot more than I did when I first started. Sorting out crew, ranking up needed crew, although my 4* roster is almost complete. Ranking up duplicates.

The events are what makes the game for me now, competing for rank, and having to fit the game around me work schedule.

Adding big new things would be difficult, it would change the nature of the game, and those things would become stale after a while.

How is this different from the past 3+ years?