Home The Bridge
Options

Anti-Poaching Alliance

edited June 2021 in The Bridge
Poaching: Trying to recruit someone to your fleet who is currently in a fleet. Also sending accounts into other fleets with intentions of trying to get the members to join your own. Consistently sending messages asking members currently in a fleet to join even after they have said "no".
This is a shoddy recruiting practice and over 20 fleets have banded together to denounce this practice. Please PM me if you would like to be a part of the truce to denounce poaching. The original post was removed for naming fleets who oppose this practice so we must band together privately.

Comments

• Options
    ok good thank you for clearing this mess up.....
  • Options
    I've had a few fleets contact me in hopes that I would join them, and I just politely tell them that I am not interested. They usually just say "OK, thanks", and don't bother me again.

Each person playing in a fleet needs to decide if they are happy there, or if they want to move. No one can force them to move, and if they get a poach request, they can just ignore it. As far as the poachers are concerned, you will always have them, as this game rewards users who belong to powerful fleets with more event rewards and extra stat bonuses. It is expected that there will be those fleets that want to continue to grow with power users so they can stay on the top.

It's just like the job market IRL - companies do this all the time, but it is up to the person to decide what they want to do.

If folks are happy within their current fleet, then the poach requests are meaningless, and can easily be ignored. Eventually, they'll get the idea.

LLAP

Absolutely agree.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    oi79006nlqgf.jpg
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that "poaching" is just natural... What is the alternative? Everyone already on a fleet is off limits? Should fleet admirals be contacted first to negotiate members? Attracting members from forums and other media is ok, but not in game chat? (and just to be clear, I do not invite people to the fleet I'm a member of, and I barely use the social aspects of the game)
  • Options
    Kanon wrote: »
    I agree that "poaching" is just natural... What is the alternative? Everyone already on a fleet is off limits? Should fleet admirals be contacted first to negotiate members? Attracting members from forums and other media is ok, but not in game chat? (and just to be clear, I do not invite people to the fleet I'm a member of, and I barely use the social aspects of the game)

Use the suggested players screen/recruiting screen or UC. I have recruited 100s of players this way for multiple fleets. Other ways to recruit include this forum, the wiki, discord and Facebook timelines group
  • Options
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    oi79006nlqgf.jpg

Friends with yourself Bylo? What kind of wizardry is this?! :wink:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Nothing productive/constructive to add? Don't post :) ~Shan

• Options
    SimsSims ✭✭✭
    I've had a couple of messages asking me to join a fleet (quite why I don't know) but have declined as I'm happy where I am. They will only recruit people that wish to move on so why worry? I Know I'm newish here but am I missing something?
  • Options
    i am gonna comment here that anyone supporting any of the acts Silverknight talks about should really reconsider playing the game and instead consider not playing but hey thats just my opinion....and i'm even skittish to post such an opinion for fear of the wrath of the devs
  • Options
    Sims wrote: »
    I've had a couple of messages asking me to join a fleet (quite why I don't know) but have declined as I'm happy where I am. They will only recruit people that wish to move on so why worry? I Know I'm newish here but am I missing something?

Being “newish” is great. The more the merrier. Thanks for asking.
    What you are missing is the harassment. Some of these poachers dont take no for an answer. They continue on and once blocked or muted by the targeted player, they move on to another within the same fleet. Sometimes it would seem just to a level of self satisfaction to simply annoy people because they were denied. They become rude and then change their screen name, join a fleet, then start causing unrest from within.
    They are, at many times successful in their poach attempts but when they are not it produces “ugly” behavior.

And also if people are not happy in their current fleet most often they leave becoming available for recruit outside of a fleet. Or follow friends elsewhere in other fleets. People who chose to move on, is entirely different than underhanded sneaky rude behavior.

• Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s not shoddy, if asked politely, to listen to what someone else’s fleet has to offer and then decide for yourself either yes or no.

Granted, there are other tactics I would consider shoddy, but in a social game, people are going to try and recruit others. And, there is always block and mute.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    DAEDAE ✭✭✭
    Interesting topic here with many variations.
    It seems the ones in favor of this thread are speaking of more than a first contact situation of conversation to open a door to other possibilities.
    Considering the limitations of this forum i would attempt to read between the lines. And note that they are using words such as “scouts, infiltrators, bullies, harassment, poachers, gamers, ugly behavior” ….. taking entire groups from a fleet? If im reading this correctly, im not sure that everyone is getting the full picture here of whats being said, but not said.
    And again another request for upgraded fleet control tools and updating the recruit board.
    This all seems vaguely familiar to a time, in another galaxy, when maybe there was a horrible uprising of the entire community with pitchforks when someone somewhere in sometime maybe was steeling a fleet? Or some fleets? This feels a little like that but different strategy.
  • Options
    DAE wrote: »
    It seems the ones in favor of this thread are speaking of more than a first contact situation of conversation to open a door to other possibilities.
    Considering the limitations of this forum i would attempt to read between the lines. And note that they are using words such as “scouts, infiltrators, bullies, harassment, poachers, gamers, ugly behavior” ….. taking entire groups from a fleet? If im reading this correctly, im not sure that everyone is getting the full picture here of whats being said, but not said.
    And again another request for upgraded fleet control tools and updating the recruit board.
    This all seems vaguely familiar to a time, in another galaxy, when maybe there was a horrible uprising of the entire community with pitchforks when someone somewhere in sometime maybe was steeling a fleet? Or some fleets? This feels a little like that but different strategy.

it's basically the same thing a certain person is at it again and this time because of reasons we can't stop them the way we did last time sadly
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    DAE wrote: »

Yes it's very much the same type of behavior as stealing a fleet. I recently spent 2 months in a friend's fleet recruiting because poachers got them for 14 players. They are in good shape now but the poachers still haven't let up. The same poachers have also changed their name and avatar to go into fleets to take snapshots of members event scores just to return to their home fleet and start sending messages to event performers within the victim fleet.
  • Options
    SimsSims ✭✭✭
    So your fleet members are leaving to go to, what they feel. is a 'better; fleet?
  • Options
    SimsSims ✭✭✭
    I think I'm missing the point!
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trollita wrote: »

Self edited comment. I'll just settle for... 🍿
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭

LOL that’s pretty funny. That censor makes my *beep* comment sound *beep* a *beep* whole lot worse than it was. Poor Phlox. He just wanted to enjoy his popcorn in that gif.

But to offer something on topic, I must **tsk tsk** big time. Nobody is trying to poach me. XD I’m largely in the dark in this thread.

• Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭

🍿🍿
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    6qyp63k3raxv.jpg

This thread has bothered me all day since I first read it. For a long time I was content to just "awesome" the people echoing my sentiments and leaving a simple image of the in-game options players have to permanently stop people from sending unsolicited fleet invitations, but something about this thread subject just kept gnawing at my subconscious, and I think this is it, the choice of the word "poaching" and the definition.

Unless we are talking about a way to prepare eggs, one of those two definitions (source: dictionary.com) is being invoked here, and either way, it is disturbing. To claim that another fleet is "poaching" YOUR players, you must first downgrade those players from fellow humans to property, and that is wrong. There are a lot of other things about this concept/idea that bother me but equating fellow humans to not only property but property you are entitled to possess needs to be confronted.

Slang term
This discussion has been closed.