Home The Bridge

Have you started hoarding your ISM?

Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been thinking about the whole Celestial Market thing. I've started doing fewer scans and saving my ISM. I like the prospect of buying a guaranteed polestar. So it made me wonder what everyone is doing.

Tangentially, I wonder if more ISM will be needed to make this fun. If people use ISM to get the guaranteed polestar, then they're not using it to scan. People who get a lot of ISM can't scan efficiently. So I worry about polestars becoming more scarce as time progresses.

I kind of wonder about the health of the ISM and polestar economies. To that end, I wonder if others are hoarding like I am.
Farewell 🖖

Have you started hoarding your ISM? 72 votes

I only do the free scan and I'm completely hoarding.
1%
tytlal 1 vote
I cut back scanning a lot, but I still scan more than once a day.
11%
Topical[Deleted User]Prof. KakkoiiLadyAdmiral HessShellandflame{PTC} KennySven Lundgren[G5618] Taibak 8 votes
I do about half the scans that I used to.
0%
I cut back a scan or two so I can save.
13%
(HGH)ApolloSelene 7Prime LorcaSashaSunflowerVeterinary PhloxJohn Luck Pikkardmr_sparkyPavelHChuck S DarwinDangevin [CAB] 10 votes
My scanning behavior hasn't changed.
66%
ADM Fletcher [ET]Warrior WilloAviTrekAmphistaffZombie Squirrel V.Ivanstone[QH] OxmyxHaBlackMidspeed[SSR] GTMETRaraRacingJayBeezyPhotonKim~peregrine~Drone_oneSoupKitchen RikercmdrworfCaptain Murphyrobownage 48 votes
Other (please explain)
6%
Commander SinclairTP do better!! ~Colli~ (PoF)Gib - Admiral MarinersEmperor Borg Drone (SC)Trollita 5 votes

Comments

• TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I haven’t decreased my scanning, but I’ve stopped unlocking constellations. This way I’m building my ISM and when the market opens I can decide if I want to buy polestars, unlock my constellations, sell constellations, etc.
  • I cut back a scan or two so I can save.
    I stopped doing the 800 scan to save up a bit, sadly though my game has been glitching on the advert warps and I’ve lost a few 100s of ISM there, I’m kinda nervous for the market tbh. All I want is a physician or a cyberneticist polestar, and I’m afraid it’ll be too expensive :(
  • Other (please explain)
    I used to stop after the 800 scan now I am continuing to the 1300
  • Other (please explain)
    I do a few scans a day, but think this market isn’t necessary, they could be focusing on something a lot better something more people would enjoy, just my opinion. While i’ll still use the new market feature, I do think they could have focused on something else. Once again just my opinion!! 🖖
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, since i couldn t care less about the new „market“. 🥱
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    Since I don't use crew retrieval, I have been scanning MORE (up to 3400 per day) to "hoard" Constellations when I get them. To me, those Constellations are more valuable(or at least more fun), and will be for sale in the market rather than just the polestars.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I’m not going to buy. I might sell. For me it’s a non-issue.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • edited June 2021
    I have millions of ISM.
    I struggle for Quantum.
    ISM-Quantum imbalance is embarrassing - it's almost like they didn't think it through properly. 😐

I cut back on scanning only because it is time consuming to login and get past all the popups.
  • Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's working exactly as intended, every 2-3 weeks you can get a 5*. If you do enough scanning you can see what your next retrievals will be.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, since i couldn t care less about the new „market“. 🥱

Very clever. They will never see you coming. I couldn’t care less either about the new market and am not going to try to corner it on rare polestars to reap huge amounts of ism. ;)
    Let’s fly!
  • Myimaginary Myimaginary ✭✭✭✭
    Tbh I'm not sure I will be using the market a lot. So for now, my scans have been the same as always.

I struggle for Quantum.
    ISM-Quantum imbalance is embarrassing - it's almost like they didn't think it through properly. 😐

I'm pretty sure they did think this through. They don't want you to retrieve new crew every few days but rather once or twice a month.
  • ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't be using the market much, if at all. I've already got the polestars I need for at least half a dozen retrievals, and there are none that are leaping out at me as "must have". Even if there was a polestar I was desperately after, it wouldn't be available anyway because players that have it aren't going to sell it, or if they do it'll be at a ridiculously high price that I'm not going to engage with.

I've been struggling to see any benefit to the market at all since it was announced tbh.
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    My usual behavior is to scan through the 1300 one (including 1300) all at once, then stop. Every now and then, I'll do the 2100 one. I stopped using the ad-scan aspect a long time ago - prefer to use my ads for item farming (by default, 2* databases since these aren't efficiently farmable in skirmish, and every crew seems to need them).

As of this note, I have 36,000 ISM - not trying to hoard (if this amount even fits that characterization), but I doubt I'll be lacking in ISM for a market purchase.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have millions of ISM.
    I struggle for Quantum.

I cut back on scanning only because it is time consuming to login and get past all the popups.

It's almost like they don't want to give away a free 5* more often than every 19 days. But they want to give you enough ISM and polestars to tempt you with all the crew you can get so you spend Dil to get crew more often.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daily scanning has not changed, I do 5 scans per day on both accounts and have been building up sizeable warchests on both accounts. I have plans for those stockpiles, and I'll leave it at that ;)
  • PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    I think I will rarely need the market, so I my behavior hasn't changed. I will be selling though, so I can scan even more.
  • Seven ConstanzaSeven Constanza ✭✭✭✭
    I’ll be keeping an eye on the celestial marketplace because it’s there but I currently have the polestars for the next couple of cards I’ll be retrieving. By the time I get those cards I might see a polestar I want or be lucky to get it on my own.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still spend the same amount on scans. I had already stopped opening constellations because I’ve been trying to only get a few polestars. Most of the constellations I have are pretty generic and I figured why waste ISM on them.

One thing I have been doing is hoarding dilithium. Usually I keep a 650 dil reserve and then buy quantum everyday. I stopped for the time being because I spent most of my credits to get more honour for the sale and I wanted to see what I could get after the Market opens.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far, a solid two-thirds haven't changed their habits. That is not what I expected. Here I thought the prospect of a guaranteed polestar you want might change more habits.

I don't want to drive up the price of a certain polestar that I want, but I'll need 5 of one that I assume will be rare in order to immortalize two different legendaries. I don't want to spend 5 citations, so I wonder what it will take to get those 5 polestars. The one thing I do know is the likelihood of getting 5 from scans over the two months it will take to get that much Quantum is very improbable.

So... I am now stopping at 500 or 800 on scans, depending on my mood and whether or not ads are working for me that day. I hope my reserve of ISM will get me what I need to advance some collections. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • edited June 2021
    AviTrek wrote: »
    I have millions of ISM.
    I struggle for Quantum.

It's almost like they don't want to give away a free 5* more often than every 19 days. But they want to give you enough ISM and polestars to tempt you with all the crew you can get so you spend Dil to get crew more often.

I don't understand why I was banned for clicking a 'buy again' button a couple of times but now have hundreds of their precious Polestars which I'm unable to use.

They sell ISM which I'll never buy. But don't sell Quantum which I need.

The Celestial Market is a waste of their development time (in my eyes) because I don't need the ISM. I'd much rather they developed something that let us use our huge rosters.

Anyway I'm not here to do their market research for free. :)
  • Other (please explain)
    I've somewhat limited my ISM expenses since the announcement, but mostly I'm going for a decent rank in this event, so that I will have a little stockpile by July.

I'm also trying to figure out which polestars I might need for the rest of the year and whether or not for each one of them it's a good idea to try and purchase it in the marketplace in advance (days, weeks or months before I will actually use it).

I wonder if the initial prices in the marketplace will rise or drop over time, so for the beginning I think I'll just make some experiments and try to sell a few of my dupes with different levels of availability and usefulness to see what people are willing to spend for them.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    I have millions of ISM.
    I struggle for Quantum.

I don't understand why I was banned for clicking a 'buy again' button a couple of times but now have hundreds of their precious Polestars which I'm unable to use.

They sell ISM which I'll never buy. But don't sell Quantum which I need.

The Celestial Market is a waste of their development time (in my eyes) because I don't need the ISM. I'd much rather they developed something that let us use our huge rosters.

Anyway I'm not here to do their market research for free. :)

They sell all the quantum you could want. Try and do a crew retrieval now and they will happily sell you the quantum you need. Or you can buy a small amount every day to save on cost.
  • KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    I scan as much as before, maybe a little more, BUT I have a lot more ISM now since I'm not opening any constellation until I'm sure what to do (checking the prices of polestars will be key to decide if it is worth the risk of opening constellations that can drop a Human/Starfleet/Federation polestar)
  • I cut back scanning a lot, but I still scan more than once a day.
    I usually scan up to 1300 every day. Right now I have round about 194,000 ISM.
    German 5618 For more info on us, please check our wiki page: Fleet => click STT Wiki
    ━ Do as you would be done by ━
    Fleet with international Members
    Vice Adm. | Recruiting
    Founded in August 2017
  • Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've pulled back slightly.

While I imagine pricing will be pretty high at first, I suspect it will drop pretty quickly. With most folks only retrieving a character every few weeks, the demand is going to get pushed down. So I think people will go after a few choice polestars and then pull back, while the quantity available will continue to grow.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I'll wait a good month before buying anything. Will sell right away.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I have 60k ISM and I am not trying to save.

I have changed my scanning habits, now go up to 200 ISM before I start ad-warps.

I only have one polestar worth selling the Stamets one (Exomycologist), and as I don't need the ISM, I doubt I will put it on the market.

I can see this market being a flop, few players need ISM, so won't sell.