Home The Bridge

Would you want to start a new collection from scratch?

Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2021 in The Bridge
I had a thought, and I'm not sure how I feel about the idea. I'm curious what you all think. What if WRG created a new collection where no existing cards fit in, but planned to drop one new card for the collection every month for say 6 months?

We would all have the same starting point with the new collection. Would it be appealing to try to keep up with it as the months go on? Would it be to slow of a burn?

I'm not really sure what kind of a collection would work, so I would love some ideas. They could add a new trait, but I have no clue what could be added that could not be added retroactively to existing crew. I also don't know if there's any episodes that would be conducive to this concept. Or if there's other ideas, I'd love to hear them. :)

Similarly, if you don't like the idea, I'm curious if it's because the payout would take too long or if you don't like starting with nothing, or some other reason.
Farewell 🖖

Comments

• Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m sure some players would feel differently, but I don’t see that the “slow burn” aspect would be a big problem. Many of us forum folks (and likely an even greater percentage of the total playerbase) have a handful or two (or three?) unmaxed collections, but that doesn’t keep us from grinding away at them.

As for what it could be... as you suggested, it’s hard to imagine a trait, or missing race/faction (enough for a collection), or circumstance (the “admirals” collection, the “sitting in a chair” collection, etc.) that wouldn’t retroactively fit an existing crew. Except maybe...

Lower Decks cards. Totally new set of characters and the collection theme is the show-of-origin. I won’t comment on the art issues with adding those crew, but I think this may be a reasonable candidate for your premise.

• Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m sure some players would feel differently, but I don’t see that the “slow burn” aspect would be a big problem. Many of us forum folks (and likely an even greater percentage of the total playerbase) have a handful or two (or three?) unmaxed collections, but that doesn’t keep us from grinding away at them.

As for what it could be... as you suggested, it’s hard to imagine a trait, or missing race/faction (enough for a collection), or circumstance (the “admirals” collection, the “sitting in a chair” collection, etc.) that wouldn’t retroactively fit an existing crew. Except maybe...

Lower Decks cards. Totally new set of characters and the collection theme is the show-of-origin. I won’t comment on the art issues with adding those crew, but I think this may be a reasonable candidate for your premise.

As badly as I want Lower Decks crew, I can't believe that didn't occur to me. Great idea!

I'm torn on the Tuesday pack thing. On one hand, I don't mind giving paying players advantages here and there. I would wait no less than 4 months before doing something like that, if it's done at all. It would take some wind out of a few sails the first time they use Tuesday packs, so it would have to be carefully considered.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, thx. 👎🏻
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
    No, thx. 👎🏻

That's fair. Care to elaborate?
    Farewell 🖖
  • I had a thought, and I'm not sure how I feel about the idea. I'm curious what you all think. What if WRG created a new collection where no existing cards fit in, but planned to drop one new card for the collection every month for say 6 months?

We would all have the same starting point with the new collection. Would it be appealing to try to keep up with it as the months go on? Would it be to slow of a burn?

I'm not really sure what kind of a collection would work, so I would love some ideas. They could add a new trait, but I have no clue what could be added that could not be added retroactively to existing crew. I also don't know if there's any episodes that would be conducive to this concept. Or if there's other ideas, I'd love to hear them. :)

Similarly, if you don't like the idea, I'm curious if it's because the payout would take too long or if you don't like starting with nothing, or some other reason.

I really like the idea but it really is hard to come up with the crew. Sure, Lower Decks would be great but I wonder if it would appeal to a large enough player segment? Seems like anything else has enough existing crew in some capacity.

That being said, some ideas...

Bridge Crew by ship - or, departments, (engineering, sickbay, etc.)?
    Starfleet Command - Admirals, support staff, etc.
    MACOS - I know we already have S Money, but definitely underrepresented.

It will be interesting to see where this goes.

"Curious, how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want." — Spock

🖖
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly you can call the new collection the hodgepodge collection or something similar and just include all new crew for a few months or whatever.
  • Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be much easier to acquire the rights to the Kelvin-verse to accomplish this.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would come down to the distribution mechanism for me. A lot of forum members have expressed interest over the years in making the crew in the monthly/daily rewards or the campaign track unique and exclusive. I think something like that would be fine. I'll go so far as to say I actively would like that.

However, if it was done via the premium track of the campaign, that give me pause. My own buying habit would likely remain as it is, but it would bother me that it would be out of reach for our fellow VIP 0 players. I was thrilled to get Scrooge Data, but it did make me feel a bit guilty. December is a rough month to ask some people to come up with an extra $10 for pixels.

In any event, I propose a recap pack. Give newcomers and players who just can't keep up with dailies every month a second whack at 'em. But schedule it awhile later, to satisfy the players who enjoy exclusivity. For instance, if you did it via the monthly/dailies, you'd take the three 2022 exclusives, wait until the first of the 2023's have run their course, and then put up the 2022 pack. Kinda like that period where artists would release Greatest Hits collections that omitted anything from their most recent album, and save those singles for the next one.
  • Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it.

This isn't an experience I'm actively looking for. And to that end, I don't feel like there's a problem with new collections utilizing existing crew.

However, if STT has a cool collection idea that wouldn't use any existing crew, I don't see that as a problem, and the fresh experience could be fun. I do agree that having a bunch of such crew show up, particularly with a tangentially applicable mega, would help give this some weight.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting idea, but it would really depend on crew rarity, stats, and how they were distributed.

If a crew is going to end up in a Tuesday pack, I'm out.
    If a crew ends up in a campaign, the crew will need to be a really strong crew to get me to buy the campaign.
    If the crew is a 5* event reward, the crew needs to be strong enough to be worth citing on their own. One lousy card(looking at you Diversion Yates) makes me unlikely to cite them and finish the collection.

But if the crew are all 1-4* and available through events then I'm in and think it would be fun.

Something else to think about. Do you need all the crew to finish the collection or is there some wiggle room? If they release 10 crew and you only need 6, then they create space for the some of those methods I didn't want above as long as there are enough crew left without them to finish the collection.

And if they do this, the reward would need to be another exclusive crew like O'Brien. If the final reward is just a 10x portal it won't hold my attention.
  • MonArkMonArk ✭✭✭
    The "how" would be the deciding factor for me. Tuesday packs? Nope. As an added high end threshold or challenging temporary achievement? Sure.

As for the collection: how about the La Sirena Holograms. One skill each, but elite ship battle stats. La Sirena Pilot Picard for completing the set, perhaps?

That said, I like the Lower Decks collection idea, too.
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    A collection with crew only available for purchase would be a new low for the game. All other crew enter the portal at some point, so eventually it becomes just like every other collection.

I used to want the existing collections given more attention but, looking back, I miss knowing there is a sense of accomplishment around the corner. Many collections now seem infinite (excluding the episode or limited theme based collections), which makes them a moving goalpost that will happen when it happens, rather than something to strive towards with any sense of strategy.

A new collection from scratch sounds exciting, but ultimately just gets added to the pile of retrieval/citation projects and the endless honor debt.
  • +1 Lower Decks collection
  • I see where you’re coming from Lorca but I personally wouldn’t want this. I’d rather they give us new collections like Hologram, Musician, Pilot, etc. I am on board for Lower Decks though :smiley:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    No, thx. 👎🏻

It was a great idea until Lower Decks was attached to it.
    Trollita wrote: »
    No, thx. 👎🏻

It was a great idea until Lower Decks was attached to it.

It's not "attached." I like the idea, but it's just one idea. Kelvin-verse is another idea. If there's an episode with no representation, that's another possibility. Besides... When has WRG ever done something exactly as it was suggested on the forum? :D
    Farewell 🖖
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    3882it74nbti.jpeg
    Let’s fly!
  • MonArkMonArk ✭✭✭
    You could also just go with the crew from the TNG "Lower Decks" episode... I can't be the only one who thinks we need a legendary Sito Jaxa from the episode she dies as a hero.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    MonArk wrote: »
    You could also just go with the crew from the TNG "Lower Decks" episode... I can't be the only one who thinks we need a legendary Sito Jaxa from the episode she dies as a hero.

I've wanted the rest of those lower deck crew for years.
    I just remembered the episode "Rascals". We don't have young Guinan, Picard, Ro, or Keiko in the game yet. Off Duty Miles and the Ferengi, DaiMon Lurin and Morta, could be added to pad the collection.
    Farewell 🖖
  • LjofaLjofa ✭✭✭
    How about ‘the Engineers must suffer’ pack. Temporal jump O’Brien. Cardassian Prisoner O’Brien. Geordi ‘Soran’s prisoner’ la forge. Sim Tucker. Hot Chocolate embarrassment Sonia Gomez, dominion prisoner Rom…
  • Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ljofa wrote: »
    How about ‘the Engineers must suffer’ pack. Temporal jump O’Brien. Cardassian Prisoner O’Brien. Geordi ‘Soran’s prisoner’ la forge. Sim Tucker. Hot Chocolate embarrassment Sonia Gomez, dominion prisoner Rom…

How about the engineers who had to suffer through the first season or so of TNG: Argyle, MacDougall, Logan, Shimoda, Singh, and Lynch? All worthy of 1 star.
  • Tellarites

There are about enough for a Mega, even. Although it would help if the Lower Decks Tellarites could be included.

Legendary
    Gav
    Gral
    Tevrin Krit
    Gorch

Super Rare
    Naarg
    Skalaar
    Mirror Gorch
    Mirror Rebel Tellarite

Rare
    Gaavrin

Uncommon
    Terev
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Tellarites

There are about enough for a Mega, even. Although it would help if the Lower Decks Tellarites could be included.

Legendary
    Gav
    Gral
    Tevrin Krit
    Gorch

Super Rare
    Naarg
    Skalaar
    Mirror Gorch
    Mirror Rebel Tellarite

Rare
    Gaavrin

Uncommon
    Terev

For a moment, I thought these were all crew already in the game and I was wondering just how little attention I'd paid last year.
  • Offhand, I can't think of a ST alien species that's appeared in as many episodes as the Tellarites, and aren't included in STT.

Bolians are probably next. A lot of potential there, but I think it would be a stretch to get 10 for a species collection.

I keep coming up with non-species options and realizing there are existing crew. Figments, dreams, and hallucinations? Buck Bokai. Impersonations? Changling Martok. It's tough!

Starport
  • They're not the easiest folks to negotiate with.

Starport