Home The Bridge
Options

Mega event: order of event types

I would love to do a poll on this, but there's simply too many combinations possible. We'll have to settle for just posting our ideal order.

Every mega event, there's players who lament the order of events. Sometimes players cheer the order, but the lamenting is a constant. :) I've seen good arguments for several different possibilities. One other near-constant is people advocating to end on a faction event. I'm curious to see if that holds here.

I'll start:
- Hybrid Expedition/Skirmish
- Full Galaxy
- Hybrid Faction/Skirmish
- Full Faction

- To kick it off, I would like to have the flavor of an expedition to mix it up, but only for 48 hours. And following with a skirmish phase means players can skip the expedition if they want. Deep rosters have an advantage on the expedition, but the skirmish kind of erases that. Also, this combo has never been done before, so that would make it special.
- I am not the biggest fan of galaxy events, but you gotta throw it in there, so I did.
- Four straight days of skirmish is rough. I decided to break it up into two hybrid events.
- I went with the often popular faction at the end to use the newly acquired mega event crew at the end.

I think if I designed my ideal mega event, that's how it would go. How would you design it?
Farewell 🖖

Comments

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid Faction/Galaxy
    Galaxy
    Faction
    Skirmish

Start off with a mix to give everyone a bit of what they want. Then full galaxy while building rosters. The a faction in week 3 which is really the peak of the mega. By week 4 rosters are getting tight and a skirmish lets you freeze crew. Also, the final event has a non-mega reward, so I'd rather use all the mega crew in week 3 for the last mega 5* than in week 4 where you're earning a random old 5* for next weeks flashback.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the mega feedback thread, I said I wasn’t too concerned about weeks 1-3 as long as there was a skirmish, but I’ll play along.

Skirmish
    Faction-Galaxy
    Galaxy
    Faction

Week 1 - start with skirmish to give more time for freeze/thaw shuffling and some extra honor infusion to enable citing the mega 5* (for those of you that like doing that).

Week 2 brings the first test of roster depth, but also cushions it for shallower rosters with the raw vp grind of galaxy (unless you overspend in skirmish - gotta manage those resources!).

Week 3 allows for a strategic choice vs week 2 - which event legendary do you want to burn chrons to chase?

Week 4 is the culmination of accumulated mega-themed crew (plus, who doesn’t love sticking a 3x bonus 4/5 or 5/5 card on a shuttle mission?).

I’ll note that I’m starting to see the appeal of a week 3 faction too (as suggested by others), but in that case, week 4 needs to be galaxy (swap week 3 and 4 in my sequence).
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid Galaxy/Faction
    Expedition
    Skirmish
    Faction
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid Galaxy/Faction
    Expedition
    Skirmish
    Faction

This is the first one that isn't chroniton-heavy. I hadn't considered that when I started this thread. Ending on a skirmish so we could freeze crew is a good point, along with the reward not being mega event crew. Maybe this would be another good option:
    - Full Galaxy
    - Full Faction
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Skirmishes
    Hybrid (Fac/Gal)
    Galaxy
    Faction

or

Skirmishes
    Galaxy
    Hybrid(Faction/Skirmishes)
    Faction

I didn t put in Expedition as a choice since they made pretty clear, that new Expedition events takes too much time to code and reruns wouldn t fit into a Mega.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid Galaxy/Faction
    Expedition
    Skirmish
    Faction

This is the first one that isn't chroniton-heavy. I hadn't considered that when I started this thread. Ending on a skirmish so we could freeze crew is a good point, along with the reward not being mega event crew. Maybe this would be another good option:
    - Full Galaxy
    - Full Faction

The problem with two hybrid skirmish events is the skirmish half completely dominates the points. It effectively becomes two skirmish events. And for those of us that hate skirmish events its means half the mega we're out. Also, with galaxy only showing up once you're losing the extra free 4* and 10x from the community reward.

Regardless of the order there should be a full galaxy and a hybrid with a galaxy and skirmish only once.
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Hybrid Galaxy/Faction
    Expedition
    Skirmish
    Faction

- Full Galaxy
    - Full Faction

The problem with two hybrid skirmish events is the skirmish half completely dominates the points. It effectively becomes two skirmish events. And for those of us that hate skirmish events its means half the mega we're out. Also, with galaxy only showing up once you're losing the extra free 4* and 10x from the community reward.

Regardless of the order there should be a full galaxy and a hybrid with a galaxy and skirmish only once.

That's definitely fair. You make solid points. But... :) As a fan of skirmish hybrids and recap packs, it comes down to a personal preference to me. I finish the SR's with recaps. I tend to forget that a segment of the player base doesn't like skirmishes. I feel that way about galaxy events, though. Whenever there's two events that end on a galaxy phase, it's not that I count myself out, but I do kind of think, "Ugh... I have to dump time and resources into half of this mega event."

There's no way to make everyone happy. Such is life. But I do like to know what would make other players happy all the same. Especially when they explain it. Seeing stuff like "We get 2 full SR's!" helps me see the silver lining. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    How about any order with no expeditions :wink::tongue:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid Galaxy/Faction
    Expedition
    Skirmish
    Faction

- Full Galaxy
    - Full Faction

Yeah. I was trying to think of a good way to separate the Chroniton users so there would be time to get more. I mainly said Skirmish then Faction because most people like the Faction last, so everyone is usable from the Mega. IF they have the Mega Trait. But, being able to clear room by the last week is good, too.

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    OttoOtto ✭✭✭
    1. Why not start with a Galaxy? Gives a 4/4 (recurring) crew for the full 3 remaining weeks.
    2. Then a full Faction event - change of ressources, use the boosts and rebuild chrons.
    3. Skirmish
    4. Full Faction again or a hybrid Galaxy/Faction
  • Options
    If I can't have Expeditions, I'd favor the following:

Week 0 (the one before the mega-event): Faction
    Two-thirds of the event formats are chroniton-heavy so here's at least a week to stockpile in preparation.

Week 1 Galaxy
    Hope you stockpiled chronitons last week 'cause you're gonna need 'em. The upshot is, you get to start the month with a brand new 4/4.

Week 2 Faction
    Here's a chance to replenish your chronitons from last week. If recent Faction events are any indication, this format has become highly competitive so you'll need to burn through a lot of tokens and boosts if you wanna hang in there. But plan ahead because tokens don't grow on trees.

Week 3 Skirmish
    You burned through a lot of chronitons last week, and you're gonna do it again. But this time, you get back some of them--plus a lot of loot.

Week 4 Galaxy/Faction Hybrid
    I'd just as soon end with a Skirmish so I can start freezing crew after Week 3, but in the interest of competition, I like the idea of this format. I played the event where it was first done but I don't remember anything about it. It was easily the lowest rank I placed in that mega, but I think because it was Week 2. I think I decided to hold back because the next week was a full Faction and I wanted Week 3's Adira Tal more than I wanted Week 2's Mirror Saru.

In a Faction/Galaxy, a common strategy is to sit out Phase 1 because points are much easier to rack up in a hurry in Phase 2. By doing it this way, the stakes are raised for both phases. You'll want to start strong because catching up will be harder to do. As noted in Week 2, though, Faction phases have become volatile. Hope you managed your shuttle resources wisely in Week 2 because how your mega-event ends will depend on that. At least you get to start Phase 2 with a Featured 4/4.
  • Options
    I’ve never played an expedition so not qualified to gauge the value of those. But I’d like to pipe up for the value of a Full Skirmish, in either week 3 or 4 (I understand the desire for a Full Faction late on).

For those not in the endgame phase, skirmishes are the best option for immortalising multiple crew - and reducing that to 2 days instead of 4 with hybrid-only skirmishes would be a significant disadvantage. It also makes it harder to ensure you get through all your intel!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I've seen Hybrid Galaxy/Faction listed (in that order) a couple times now. I didn't realize those were popular at all. I always like a good change of pace, so I would be on board. That's an interesting twist I didn't foresee happening in this thread.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    OttoOtto ✭✭✭
    My mistake here. I prefer Faction/Galaxy hybrid over Galaxy/Faction.
  • Options
    I know people hate expedition, but with 4 event types and 4 weeks of mega, well ;-)
  • Options
    If they revamp expeditions i’m 100% open to it, if they bring back what they had before, no thanks!
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    I've seen Hybrid Galaxy/Faction listed (in that order) a couple times now. I didn't realize those were popular at all. I always like a good change of pace, so I would be on board. That's an interesting twist I didn't foresee happening in this thread.

Faction/Galaxy is pointless. Mostly those just force everyone who wants to chase rank to squeeze four days of Galaxy into two. It's not worth dipping into tokens and boosts to try to cram in a ton of points in Phase 1. It's not worth it, because four hours into Phase 2, half the player base has already overtaken whatever lead you'd built up by running shuttles.

I should also note, I would only go for Galaxy/Faction as part of a mega-event. I doubt I'd bother chasing a 5* in an event where I wasn't already caught up in the momentum of competing. As a sub-note, even in that context, since the rank 5* would be for an existing one for the next weeks re-play or flashback, I'd still only go all out if it was an existing 5* I had but needed to finish fusing. Otherwise, I'm crafting one thing in Phase 1 and just running shuttles casually in Phase 2. I honestly think this format is better for Week 3 than Week 4, but I proposed it as the finale because so many forum members decrying it a waste not to have some massive showdown with all their toys in the sandbox at the end. In order to ensure my personal interest in competing for rank, it would have to be Week 3, and the Skirmish for the finale so I can start freezing people again.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Faction/Galaxy is pointless. Mostly those just force everyone who wants to chase rank to squeeze four days of Galaxy into two. It's not worth dipping into tokens and boosts to try to cram in a ton of points in Phase 1. It's not worth it, because four hours into Phase 2, half the player base has already overtaken whatever lead you'd built up by running shuttles.

I should also note, I would only go for Galaxy/Faction as part of a mega-event. I doubt I'd bother chasing a 5* in an event where I wasn't already caught up in the momentum of competing. As a sub-note, even in that context, since the rank 5* would be for an existing one for the next weeks re-play or flashback, I'd still only go all out if it was an existing 5* I had but needed to finish fusing. Otherwise, I'm crafting one thing in Phase 1 and just running shuttles casually in Phase 2. I honestly think this format is better for Week 3 than Week 4, but I proposed it as the finale because so many forum members decrying it a waste not to have some massive showdown with all their toys in the sandbox at the end. In order to ensure my personal interest in competing for rank, it would have to be Week 3, and the Skirmish for the finale so I can start freezing people again.

The best part about Faction/Galaxy is you can earn points in the faction half to get you closer to clearing thresholds in the galaxy half. And if I do want the 5* I can earn the 5* in the galaxy half without needing the resources of a 4 day galaxy event.

But I agree with you, using tokens and speed boosts in a faction/galaxy is pointless. And usually anyone who complains about not having enough tokens and boosts is burning them in the hybrid for 0 ROI.
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I'm one of the rare few who prefers a full Faction week 3 over week 4. In brief, I think the coolness factor of running a ton of crew is diminished when you're competing for an old legendary.

I don't object to a Week 4 Faction, I just think Week 3 is better.

As for my ideal breakdown, mechanically, it would probably look something like this:

Big Fight - opening shots, gather resources/allies, final battle
    1. Skirmish
    2. Galaxy
    3. Faction
    4. Galaxy/Skirmish

Cooperation brings Peace - starts chaotically, solved through teamwork
    1. Faction/Skirmish
    2. Galaxy/Skirmish
    3. Faction
    4. Galaxy

I don't mind some event repetition, but if we're talking ideals this wouldn't happen much. I actually tried mapping out a mega recently to see if I could better understand the thinking that went into it, and I was surprised by how difficult it was. Kudos to the writing team for turning out so many fun megas while balancing three or four times the factors I could think of.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport