Home The Bridge
Options

Event Discussion Thread: Faction/Galaxy Event: The Surface of Dashed Hopes - 2021-10-28 ME#4

Comments

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    What I don’t get is the need to add the medicine skill + physician trait to everyone with ‘Doctor/Dr.’ in their title. There are plenty of scientific doctors in Trek, not just Physicians.

Characters like:
    Dr. Hippocrates Noah (A Scientist)
    Dr. Gillian Taylor (A Cetacean Biologist)
    Dr. Roger Korby (An Archeologist)
    Dr. Agnes Jurati (A Cyberneticist)

It bothers me because it makes me think the devs don’t do their research and just slap on the trait and skill solely because they have ‘Dr.’ in their name. Which isn’t what I want to believe, but that’s just what’s been on my mind 🖖🖖🖖🖖🖖

That was a streamlining of traits a while back that they did.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I don’t get is the need to add the medicine skill + physician trait to everyone with ‘Doctor/Dr.’ in their title. There are plenty of scientific doctors in Trek, not just Physicians.

Characters like:
    Dr. Hippocrates Noah (A Scientist)
    Dr. Gillian Taylor (A Cetacean Biologist)
    Dr. Roger Korby (An Archeologist)
    Dr. Agnes Jurati (A Cyberneticist)

It bothers me because it makes me think the devs don’t do their research and just slap on the trait and skill solely because they have ‘Dr.’ in their name. Which isn’t what I want to believe, but that’s just what’s been on my mind 🖖🖖🖖🖖🖖

And yet, DOCTOR Vice Admiral Katrina Cornwell in her Prisoner version does not have the Physician Trait, even though she specifically uses her area of medical expertise to help Ash Tyler through a PTSD incident in the episode where she is a prisoner......

Can we at least get jury rigger added to Brother Rom? All of Quark’s holosuites and replicators only worked because of the jury rigging of Rom.

Definitely fits for Rom!

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    @DScottHewitt Totally agree about Cornwell

@(HGH)Apollo Love the Rom idea!

:smile:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would have been nice if the two faction events for this innovator mega had had more eng-sci seats. I am sticking my 3/5 Rurigan in on the eng-com seats and wondering why I worked so hard to get him and Straal to 3/5 when they provided so little use on these factions.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    After removing Costumed from Rom, changing his outfit from “Rom’s Costume” to something else would probably be more appropriate…

I noticed his gear is a "Costume". Implying {since it looks different from the outfit he is wearing} he IS "Costumed" and someone complained us out of a Crew for a Collection.......
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    tukqqur3alvw.png

sq8cdh77oldl.png

Could have at least waited until after the event to nerf Rom if all the builds with him have costumed. Or changed the galaxy bonus trait to something else. I feel like a fool for leveling him up when he can’t even do his job now. You claimed that Rom was always gonna lose costumed but it sure feels like a last minute decision to me.

He obviously WAS supposed to be "Costumed" until someone complained needlessly.

This is why we cannot have nice things!!!!!
  • Options
    GitssacGitssac ✭✭✭
    Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with removing ‘costumed’ from a character who clearly isn’t costumed. And I think a bit of pre-launch community quality control is valuable… otherwise we’ll end up with a major trait review in X months instead.

It does need to be done with joined-up thinking, though. So, totally agree that once the error was identified, the trait situation for builds should have been checked and addressed as a standard process. One for the dev crib sheet…
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't this happen a month or two ago as well? When they gave Captain Burnham the Augments trait by mistake. They changed it just before the event started, but then the Augment trait kept popping up in the builds.
  • Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as we're looking at the traits of event crew, Luau Q will be having the Hologram trait added, right?
    Event text wrote:
    With the revelation that the planet’s fantasies are self-generated and that Luau Q is being used as its avatar, Starfleet is desperate for a resolution before the planet attempts to deploy another of its holographic fantasies into space.
    Luau Q wrote:
    Do I not have a say in all this? I'm sorry, how rude of me for not introducing myself sooner. I had no way of communicating in a way your species is accustomed to until I came across holograms of this divine individual. I'm sure you understand why I borrowed his likeness.
    Luau Q wrote:
    I may be a machine crafted by a civilization long extinct[...]
    Luau Q wrote:
    It may sound unthinkable that a machine might forget or age, but I was losing touch with myself, with the purpose for which I was created. I continued improving my technology and the holograms over the years, but had no one to share it with.
    Luau Q wrote:
    I know you all see me as just a machine[...]
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or "Automated Unit". He sounds more like the White Rabbit to me. Or Engineered, like Carl got.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Either of those would work in addition, but since their own story text refers to him as a hologram, he needs to have at least the hologram trait.

With the precedent of Carl as a machine crafted by an ancient civilization, adding Engineered + Hologram makes sense and let's be honest, it would bump up the value of recap packs quite a bit for players who didn't cite him.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luau Q will not get the hologram trait.

This is something that was indeed left a bit unclear in the narrative, our writer appreciate the feedback and will take it into account for the future.

The idea here is that Luau Q exists as a Q in his own right.
    The machine decided to use his image as an avatar.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    And if the character we got is the machine's hologram of Q, not Luau Q from Voyager, then that makes him a Timelines Original too.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the additional feedback, it will be forwarded.
  • Options
    Am I the only one having flashbacks to 'Section31 Janeway'-gate?
  • Options

Not really. First, someone complained until Rom lost Trait that he obviously was intended to have at first. Now, they flat out refuse to add a Trait that this Q obviously should have, as established in their Event itself......

• Options
    What I am hearing is that a hologram collection is coming soon and WRG doesn’t want to add a legendary to it that everyone got 4/5 of.

I would love a hologram collection :wink:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    +1 for hologram collection
  • Options
    Shan wrote: »
    Luau Q will not get the hologram trait.

This is something that was indeed left a bit unclear in the narrative, our writer appreciate the feedback and will take it into account for the future.

The idea here is that Luau Q exists as a Q in his own right.
    The machine decided to use his image as an avatar.

I think this could have all been cleared up fairly easily, by having the "real" Luau Q pop up to act all offended at the dream machine appropriating his image, and then the dream machine could have spent the final event cycling through different avatars in response, making clear that the form it had been using previously really wasn't "it" in any meaningful way, and that the "real" Luau Q is a character in this event . Maybe even the dream machine could have ended up appearing as whatever avatar the player currently has selected, similar to
    the way the ship changes for Our Greatest Critic depending on which one you are using?

(And maybe some of this could have been brought forward slightly into the conclusion of part three, where we only got 1 screen of dialogue after all that tapping ...)
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Not really. First, someone complained until Rom lost Trait that he obviously was intended to have at first. Now, they flat out refuse to add a Trait that this Q obviously should have, as established in their Event itself......

This was a VERY long time ago and so let me try to explain why I had the memory...

The Agent Janeway card was introduced in an event within which she was working with Section31, the card was given Section31 trait. Years passed by and people forgot about the event, or joined afterwards and wondered why in the hell she had this trait. It was subsequently removed.

This is a similar thing with Lualua Q. In his event he is a hologram. In the show he was not. So TP are giving him the show traits not the event traits. Exactly like the Janeway-gate.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    In fact, after much searching, I found who originally labelled it Janeway-gate, and it was you, Scott! 🤣

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/12788/timelines-originals-collection/p2

The event was originally run in 2017...

https://sttwiki.org/wiki/Alpha_and_Omega
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

I was about to mention that. Funnily enough, if they had left the trait, she would now be retrievable at 100%.