Home Engineering Room
Options

Shuttles

I would like to request that WRG look into the practice of "shuttle tanking".

This strategy is an exploit of a game mechanic, whereby users intentionally "fail" shuttle missions, in order to keep the shuttle missions on the shortest possible time duration (1 minute).

Here are some reference materials pointing to the strategy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarTrekTimelines/comments/aq5qzg/guide_tanked_shuttles_why_and_how/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwOuhhvwGq8

The end goal of this strategy, is to take advantage of the "faction winner" stage after a faction event, where you can send "tanked" shuttles in order to obtain a maximum amount of free chronitons and hard to farm items that are only available from shuttle missions. This is optimized by failing a certain number of these missions in order to keep all shuttle missions at the shortest possible duration, which is instantaneous in the case of "faction winner" shuttles.

This is clearly a flagrant exploit of a game mechanic that was intended to keep new players with undeveloped rosters in a "goldilocks" zone of passable shuttle missions.

I would propose balancing the reward structure of non tanked faction winner shuttles, or, simply eliminating the shuttle tanking process. It is a completely unbalanced and unfair advantage that was hardly intended by the creators of this game.

Comments

• Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, there are two reasons to do this. One, you want to get some of the faction rewards that are not easily obtained when you have it good with the faction. This is particularly good for 0* holoprograms. Two, you tank a faction so that you can send out seven shuttles very quickly on days when you have a lot going on.

#1 is EXACTLY why people do it. There is just no other way to get basic holoprograms, they are not available from ANY away team or space battles and with Section 31 maxed out, they do not drop from shuttles either. The only way to get them in any useful quantity is to tank Section 31 and run them on this much lower difficulty or waste lower level cadet tickets. If this "exploit" gets fixed without a corresponding way to get acquire basic holoprograms, my assumption is it would lead to a mass exodus event. The same goes for basic orchids and ancient films for Federation. Those are the two factions I have tanked for EXACTLY that reason, and those are the two factions I recommend my fleet members tank.

Keeping those factions tanked takes a significant amount of work and resources, so again, this is not an "exploit". I go through so many more merits than your average player buying all the transmissions I need. I also need to use time reducers several times a week to get my durations back down when that annoying 14% minimum untanks my shuttles. There are costs associated with this strategy that non-tankers simply do not incur.

#2 This is not why I have my shuttles tanked, but I have had to utilize this a couple of times on days I had plans, like attending a wedding. It is handy, no doubt, but like you said I seriously doubt most tankers do this regularly, there are just too many good rewards from other factions worth running shuttles to acquire.

To the OP, if you are going to take such a massive shot at the playerbase, at least have the decency to have a name.
  • Options
    Viewing the above video shows very clearly, that with tanked shuttles you can essentially amass an enormous number of chrons as well as items that are faction only. The only way you can do this is with an elaborate process that exploits a game mechanic that was put in place to ensure that shuttle mission difficulty did not scale beyond a players abilities. Watch the video. The accumulation is instantaneous and rapid fire. It absolutely was not an intended feature of the game.

Lots of straw men arguments above, but one caught my attention, some of you claim that very few people do this. Others claim that there will be a mass exodus if WRG fixes this glitch. How can both of those be true?

Regardless, this is absolutely an exploit. 100%. Whether or not it construes as cheating is up to WRG. I think that considering how elaborate the process is, and how bountiful the rewards can be, it is quite clear that it is cheating.

To each their own.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    25cq1himkno3.jpeg
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    This doesn’t seem like the right channel for this thread, since it’s not actually a bug or error of any kind.
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I don t tank shuttles since i m too lazy.
    Too much work and chrons aren t an issue anyway.

I d be more concerned about recent 4x Offer Wall offers that gave
    up to 100k dilihtium. That‘s more concerning, regarding affecting revenue
    and in game balance, than some tanked shuttles.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    No, there are two reasons to do this. One, you want to get some of the faction rewards that are not easily obtained when you have it good with the faction. This is particularly good for 0* holoprograms. Two, you tank a faction so that you can send out seven shuttles very quickly on days when you have a lot going on.

#1 is EXACTLY why people do it. There is just no other way to get basic holoprograms, they are not available from ANY away team or space battles and with Section 31 maxed out, they do not drop from shuttles either. The only way to get them in any useful quantity is to tank Section 31 and run them on this much lower difficulty or waste lower level cadet tickets. If this "exploit" gets fixed without a corresponding way to get acquire basic holoprograms, my assumption is it would lead to a mass exodus event. The same goes for basic orchids and ancient films for Federation. Those are the two factions I have tanked for EXACTLY that reason, and those are the two factions I recommend my fleet members tank.

Actually, you still get basic holo's when you max Section 31 out.
    I send daily 4-5 shuttles in total for Section 31 (when it's not a faction event) and I get at least average 1 basic holo each day.

Also every mon-wed-fri you can get basic holo's with Cadet missions on elite.
    Which I do 2 missions with double add. When I run low I do 4.

So far I have never ran out of basic holo's.
    I have 46 atm.

• Options
    Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peets wrote: »
    I have 46 atm.

The shocking part on Datacore when I imported my data was when it said I need 1200+ 0* holoprograms....chances are you'll need a lot more than 46 too
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    I have 46 atm.

The shocking part on Datacore when I imported my data was when it said I need 1200+ 0* holoprograms....chances are you'll need a lot more than 46 too

True, I actually need 1960. But the point that I wanted to make is that you don't need tanked shuttles.
    I'm getting almost every day new basic holo's, I'm not running out.

Orchids I have 179 and only 420 needed.

The only problem I now started to have is with Ancient Films.
  • Options
    Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 46 atm.

True, I actually need 1960. But the point that I wanted to make is that you don't need tanked shuttles.
    I'm getting almost every day new basic holo's, I'm not running out.

Orchids I have 179 and only 420 needed.

The only problem I now started to have is with Ancient Films.

Federation Shuttles will fix that
  • Options
    Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the important takeaway here is that we can all agree to disagree.

...wait, actually we all agree.

Well, all minus one.

I forget, what are we fighting about? Ancient Films?
  • Options
    Exploits are dangerous because they undermine the game's economy.

In this case, the amount of tanked shuttles anyone can run is strictly limited by Merits to buy Transmissions.

For three days every month, that currency conversion is a bit more efficient. But nothing is being conjured out of thin air here.