Home The Bridge
Options

Duplicate beholds, post your bad luck here...

Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
So I keep getting these and DB don't think it's warranted of a solution beyond 1/90th of the exchange rate.

To raise awareness of the issue, post your bad luck here... kc8rjlh5b541.png
m418g9wtecin.png

DB: Do Better

Comments

• Options
    We used to keep an album of duplicate 5* beholds. It got too depressing so we stopped.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    We bring this up a lot. I guess it can't hurt to start a new thread, but I'm skeptical that DB will change anything as a result of this.

DB seems happy with giving the big spenders a much higher chance of not getting anything of value from our purchases. Like literally throwing $20 into the trash some days. And we're enabling them because we keep giving them our money knowing it will probably be a waste of money.

I wouldn't expect anything to change until they start seeing sales drop because all of their big spenders stop spending.
  • Options
    Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    Not to sound jerky but just stop buying :smile:
    In 4-5 months they will add new round of characters to standard pack. The best way to get DB to change is to simply not keep spending money. I am still pretty new to the game so this problem hasn't really affected me yet. The weekly offers do offer the best values for packs but I don't see a lot of value in them over dilithium the longer you play.

I am now VIP 8 so it isn't like I haven't spent a dime but it is all about return. If you not getting the return either change your strategy or stop paying which will more than likely encourage a change at DB.
  • Options
    Indeed, the best way to deal with that is to limit your spending. Cash is hard earned and must be used with moderation... I am positive that many VIP14's, along with myself, could post pages and pages about their struggle with duplicates. It sometimes gets so egregious, especially with multiples of fully fused super rares and legendaries in tow, that getting 2 or 3 possible upgrades on 4 and 5 star crew out of 10 pulls turns into a "decent outcome" for you...

Then again, it is up to the players themselves to decide when to pull the plug.
  • Options
    I've stopped buying packs since every (and I do mean every) behold I have had in the last month has been for 3 characters I have FF

SSR Noob
    Spoiler of spoils
  • Options
    Got a 5* behold today, Mirror Spock, 1701 Sisko, and someone else, who I had with 2 *. I immortalized Spock yesterday with a citation. Sisko had 3 so now has 4.
  • Options
    Telling people who’ve already dropped at *least* a grand into this game to “just stop spending” is more often than not like telling somebody battling with depression to “just cheer up.”
    First Officer - Task Force April
    Squadron Leader - [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs
  • Options
    ^ I enjoyed that remark.... :D

There are to many "Duplicate beholds" to even show.
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    63tlsx6e6h9x.jpg
    Like SilverRose said the more of these you get the more depressing the situation is. I've less than a third of legendary crew immortalised but the same choices pop up in beholds I'm more likely to see another Captain Sisko before Shinzon while Shinzon isn't a great card stat wise he's appeared maybe 3 times in total since January 2016. What I like about triggering a Behold is either picking someone new or adding an existing star to one I have already. A citation is just as good as a 1/5 if all 3 are FF or immortal give something I can use instead on existing crew than only using to add a star in it's current format I'm less likely to keep pulling from offer packs or premium portals
  • Options
    There's an idea.. maybe they could code it to where if the behold has 2 immortalized characters, the third by default is a citation of the same level?
  • Options
    I had 3 duplicate beholds of legendaries the past 10 days....NO FUN. :(
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an idea.. maybe they could code it to where if the behold has 2 immortalized characters, the third by default is a citation of the same level?

I like that. Or, maybe if you get a Behold that is all fully Fused, there is a fourth slot with a Behold of the same Level, so you can get a "do-over". Like if you get an Epic Behold that you have all three Fully Fused, then you get the option of getting an Epic Behold for free instead. Same with Legendary, and a free Legendary Behold.

I know five thousand people are gonna say "But, that is unfair." No, it is NOT. You are just getting a chance to actually get a Behold that is usable in place of one that is not usable.....

Scott

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    ·§ë· For the Many·§ë· For the Many ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Or half a citation. If it's a full one there would be no point/choice/fun in the rest of the behold. Or... the system could simply, use whatever it uses to recognize FF, and not offer 3 of them. :p

After playing several months, I have FF 53 out of the 178 super-rares (no 5/5 yet) but gotten a ton of duplicates, including the first (and last) time I bought a specific pack. There were 9 crew in it, I only had one FF, but got her in 2 out of the 3 pulls. I learned my lesson and never buying a specific crew pack again where I have any of them FF.*

Yesterday's 10x10pull special marks my point of diminishing returns and therefore final purchase other than monthly card:* Since I now have a FL 4star and 5star ship, and only 3 more rare crew to add final stars to, other than Jazz Musician Riker who isn't in pulls.

I'm not here to flat-out gamble to the extent of paying to possibly get nothing.

* ^ DB's loss, until something changes. I might continue to buy some offers or packs if. they. are. all. beholds. and. IF. we. do. not. receive. duplicates.
  • Options
    RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently had enough honour saved up to do a legendary pull from the hall. At the time, I only had one legendary fully fused - Captain Sisko. So of course he was one of my choices. C'est la vie.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must say there are not many card collectors here.

But you do not buy packs for 4* crew you are buying for the legendary. So if in 10 x10 pulls you do not get a legendary you have a right to complain, because you had bad luck. If you get a legendary behold that they are all FFFE already you got a right to complain too. However, that will happen more and more the closer you get to completing the set.

But, the one thing we cannot do is trade or sell to other players and because of that DB gives us all the right to complain for every behold that we get that has all crew FFFE.

When I recalled the inability to trade or sell are dupes, I realized that DB has created this mess and we should complain. Because there would be no complaints if this was similar to actual card collecting. Because dupes can be traded for what we need.

• Options
    zplz0c3l0yis.png

Good thread. SilverRose's comment gave me a good chuckle.

Adding my screenshot, it's a simple 4* behold, other 2 crew were vaulted, nothing special but still annoyed the hell of me. It's one of the reasons why I'll never go for those 10 premium pack weekly offers.

The way I see it it's fixable with a simple line of code so DB is deliberate in insulting me.
  • Options
    Commander TuckerCommander Tucker ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    The thing that gets me is I've gotten 16 Amok Time Spocks and Waitress Ezris and never seen a single Dominion Dukat. It's obvious that they goose the recent four stars added to the portal, so you have a greater chance of getting newer crew like Princess Jadzia (sorry about these names, I can't remember exactly). But even aside from legendaries being so rare they often don't even drop from the Staff Your Ship packs, why are there older super rares that are so hard to get while DB keeps giving us a dozen copies of others?
  • Options

It's certainly not a new idea.

The idea "give us 90 times more stuff DB, give us 90 times more now" keeps having a great following in the forums.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

The idea "give us 90 times more stuff DB, give us 90 times more now" keeps having a great following in the forums.

However, giving people the option of a USABLE Behold when they get a USELESS Behold is NOT "Give us ninety more times stuff, DB." It's more like "Give us what the RNG tried to give us, but failed"......

Scott

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Another one, this was from a single gauntlet crate. Pretty much stopped buying the pack offers now and saving honour for legendary beholds

5mjvqggugh0y.png
    DB: Do Better
  • Options

However, giving people the option of a USABLE Behold when they get a USELESS Behold is NOT "Give us ninety more times stuff, DB." It's more like "Give us what the RNG tried to give us, but failed"......

Lol what? "Give us what the RNG tried to give us but failed"?

Do you know how pathetically easy it would be to program the premium portal to avoid immortalized crew?

It gives you useless stuff... let me rephrase, it gives you USELESS stuff BY DESIGN. The RNG is not failing because it's not trying.

It's designed to be like this and it works as intended (which CS will tell you if you send them a pointless ticket).

So this is EXACTLY "you decided to give us certain stuff and now we want you go back on your decision and give us 90 times more stuff DB, give us 90 times more now".

By the way, since I know that on these forums disagreeing with someone usually means you're going to be accused of being a DB apologist: I think that the monetization is absurd and I haven't spend a time in a year and a half in protest. I perfectly agree that all-duplicate Gold Beholds are terrible. That doesn't mean that we should try to mask our argument. We shouldn't say "your algorithm has tried and failed and you should consider repairing it" - we should say "your flawless algorithm is cruel - either you give us more or we stop paying".

Let's be proud and unashamed in our argument. If you want 90 times more (under certain conditions), then ask for 90 times more (under certain conditions), don't pretend you're trying to fix some sort of technical failure.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    Another one, this was from a single gauntlet crate. Pretty much stopped buying the pack offers now and saving honour for legendary beholds

5mjvqggugh0y.png

There must be a clustering of these characters because after sitting with two stars forever, I also got another Undercover O’Brian on Voyages yesterday and then pulled a behold which had two already immortalized characters and the fourth star for O’Brian (although he seems pretty hard to level... a real chroniton pit). No prizes for guessing who I picked.

EDIT: your screen capture went from immortalized O’Brian to this as I was typing...
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could fill pages and pages of this thread, but I'll just say that I'm at the point where over half of my 4* beholds are this way.
  • Options
    Knight RangerKnight Ranger ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    So this is EXACTLY "you decided to give us certain stuff and now we want you go back on your decision and give us 90 times more stuff DB, give us 90 times more now".

Where's this 90 figure coming from? I haven't seen anyone saying "If I don't get a legendary I need, give me 90 legendaries!" That'd be insane.
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.
  • Options
    Almost all of my beholds are like this so I would be posting every one I get. So very rarely I get someone I need or don’t have -- or god forbid, a legendary behold.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's this 90 figure coming from?

Asking for a legendary citation (50K honor) instead of airlocking the dupe (550 honor).
  • Options
    I have a hard time imagining a situation where DB does anything to alleviate this frustration beyond possibly increasing honor for dismissed crew, but I doubt they'll even do that. For those of us who buy packs, if it was guaranteed that you'd get new crew, there would essentially be a finite number of packs you would have to buy and eventually have every character. DB's business model depends on the compulsive gambler to keep spending money to buy packs for the chance to win a specific character. In spite of everyone on the forum saying that they'd buy more packs, DB would likely sell far fewer packs if anything was guaranteed.
    If you were a hypothetical person who had every character immortalized thanks to this system, when DB came out with a new 5* character, all you would have to do is buy 5 packs and be guaranteed to FF the character. If all players are offered is a chance, however, there's no telling how many packs someone with a gambling addiction will pull in order to get even one copy of the new crew.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skizzy wrote: »
    For those of us who buy packs, if it was guaranteed that you'd get new crew, there would essentially be a finite number of packs you would have to buy and eventually have every character. DB's business model depends on the compulsive gambler to keep spending money to buy packs for the chance to win a specific character. In spite of everyone on the forum saying that they'd buy more packs, DB would likely sell far fewer packs if anything was guaranteed.

It's not by accident that this is the dominant business model in these types of games.

For all the people saying they're not buying packs because of this - congratulations, you've beat the game!
  • Options
    Knight RangerKnight Ranger ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Dralix wrote: »
    Where's this 90 figure coming from?

Asking for a legendary citation (50K honor) instead of airlocking the dupe (550 honor).

But the behold itself is worth 45k honour. They're already giving you something insanely expensive, so what would the difference be? Downgrading the value by almost 99% because the relevant person's given them a lot of money in the past seems counter-intuitive.

Even if they just offered say a 4* citation, that would feel like a fair consolation prize. If you don't want to give any consolation prize, then allow intrafleet trading, then at least it's more like collecting trading cards. At the moment it's like saying you've won the grand prize and holding it out, then saying "Haha, fooled you" and whipping it away.
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    y8badtuguw6b.png
    I'm at 192/210 crew.

All 1, 2 and 3 star crew are immortalised and frozen (apart from the 11 I use in arena and cadet missions). I have 54 legendary crew (most of whom are between 1/3 stars themselves) so I have a tonne of 4 star crew. This keeps happening.