Home The Bridge
Options

Shaping History Campaign - Another Uhura?

Could I ask why we have another 5* Uhura as a reward in next months campaign? This is the third time Uhura has been the Premium reward in campaigns. There are plenty of other African-American characters one could choose from: Michael Dorn would have been my preference as I don’t think Worf has been a campaign reward as yet (though I may be mistaken) Or maybe Dr M’Benga. Or Lt Palmer. Please, vary it up a bit.

Comments

• Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you rather have another appearance from the Burnham family? Uhura and LaForge are the most widely known Black characters in the franchise. I think we would have had a M'Benga by now but there is probably an issue for the rights to use his image. Worf and other Klingons are in prosthetics and makeup with the TOS ones essentially in black/brown face. Palmer is a pretty minor character although I still have hopes for Ensign Gates to make an appearance in the game but not as a reward in a campaign.
  • Options
    LjofaLjofa ✭✭✭
    Jake, Ben, Joseph, Jennifer or Kassidy Sisko would have also been good…
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    One copy of 4* Sheriff Worf was in Campaign Beta. The Palmer would be fantastic. A bit more variety would be nice though. Picard and Spock are the most frequent, but 3 Uhuras out of 78 campaign crew is a bit much. We've had 5 Spocks- 2 4*s & 3 5*s- and 4 Picards- 3 4*s & 1 5*s. Several have had two.
    The break down
    TOS 17/78= 21.79%
    Main
    Kirk- 1 4* & 1 5*= 2
    Spock- 2 4*s & 3 5*s = 5
    Scotty- 1 4*= 1
    Uhura- 3 5*s= 3
    Sulu- 1 4*= 1
    Reoccurring
    2 4*s= 2
    One Off
    2 4*s & 5*= 3
    TNG 17/78= 21.79%
    Picard- 3 4*s & 1 5*= 4
    Data- 2 5*s= 2
    Troi- 1 4 & 2 5*s (1 copy Beta)= 3
    Worf- 1 4* (1 copy Beta)= 1
    Geordi- 1 4*= 1
    Reoccurring
    2 4*s & 4 5*s= 6
    DS9 9/78 11.54%
    Sisko- 1 4* & 1 5*= 2
    Ezri- 1 4*= 1
    Bashir 1 4*= 1
    Odo- 1 4*= 1
    Reoccurring
    1 5*= 1
    One Off
    1 4* & 2 5*s= 3
    Voy 9/78 11.54%
    Torres- 1 4*= 1
    Paris- 1 4* & 5*= 2
    Kim- 1 4*= 1
    Doc- 1 4*= 1
    Seven- 1 5*= 1
    Kes- 1 4*= 1
    Reoccurring
    1 4*= 1
    One Off
    1 5*= 1
    Ent 11/78 14.01%
    Archer- 1 4* & 1 5*= 2
    T'Pol- 1 5*= 1
    Trip- 1 5*= 1
    Reed 1 4*= 1
    Hoshi- 1 5*= 1
    Phlox- 1 5*= 1
    Reoccurring
    1 4* & 1 5*= 2
    One Off
    2 5*s= 2
    Disco 14/78= 17.95%
    Saru- 1 5*= 1
    Tilly 1 4* & 1 5*= 2
    Georgiou- 1 4* & 1 5*= 2
    Stamets- 1 4= 1
    Owosekum- 1 4*= 1
    Tyler- 1 4*= 1
    Reno 5*= 1
    Reoccurring
    2 4* & 3 5*= 5
    Picard 1/78= 1.28%
    Reoccurring
    1 4*= 1
    I stuck Fugitive Spock in with TOS. I really should figure out what percentage of hours each series contributes for a better analysis. Really, TNG, DS9, and Voyager supply over half of the hours and the three should supply an equivalent amount of crew to the Vault and Campaign crew, but they don't.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you rather have another appearance from the Burnham family? Uhura and LaForge are the most widely known Black characters in the franchise. I think we would have had a M'Benga by now but there is probably an issue for the rights to use his image. Worf and other Klingons are in prosthetics and makeup with the TOS ones essentially in black/brown face. Palmer is a pretty minor character although I still have hopes for Ensign Gates to make an appearance in the game but not as a reward in a campaign.

I would expect a new M’Benga to show up once SNW arrives.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

I would expect a new M’Benga to show up once SNW arrives.

Yes. He is main cast, IIRC. Let me look.

EDIT:

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/strange-new-worlds-shockingly-reboots-3-classic-star-trek-characters

Although he was not a regular character on TOS, the character of Dr. M’Benga appeared in two episodes and was played by Booker Bradshaw.

Within the context of TOS, M’Benga was an expert on Vulcan physiology. Some of the non-canon novels (like The Vulcan Academy Murders) revealed that M’Benga spent time as a doctor on the planet Vulcan. Whether or not Strange New Worlds will connect with that continuity remains to be seen, but now, it appears that M’Benga served on the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 way before Kirk took over and TOS began.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you naysayers had read the release notice, this campaign celebrates Black History Month, not Black Character Month.

THIS!
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaiMon Bok wrote: »
    If you naysayers had read the release notice, this campaign celebrates Black History Month, not Black Character Month. The choices were made to honor Nichelle and LeVar for their contributions to history, so of course we're getting another Uhura character, since that is what she is best known for.
    Now, arguments can be made for many other POC actors in the Trek franchise, that they also contributed to that same history, and maybe next year we'll see a couple of them honored as well.

Those characters are part of celebrating Black History Month. Uhura was a ground breaking character that inspired a lot of people, especially young female Black children. Considering the fact when Strange New Worlds comes out, there will be 3 actresses that have portrayed the character of Uhura on screen.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first reaction was the same as the OP. As much as I like Geordi, I was thinking why not a 5* Sisko (first black captain and show lead) and a 4* Uhura (if it was that important to include her in this campaign)? Yes, we had High Roller Sisko in an early campaign, but still less times and much longer ago than Uhura as the featured 5* crew.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    if they already have her immortalized can get four cracks at a Tribbled Polestar (she only has 6 total traits so pretty good odds!) to help them retrieve another card from that collection.

Is there something I've missed with constellations or the campaign? Does having the card yield a constellation?
  • Options
    What a fantastically missed opportunity to actually celebrate the contributions that these actors and characters made by making a donation to a charity for every premium campaign purchased.
    Member of Rise of the Phoenix.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    if they already have her immortalized can get four cracks at a Tribbled Polestar (she only has 6 total traits so pretty good odds!) to help them retrieve another card from that collection.

Is there something I've missed with constellations or the campaign? Does having the card yield a constellation?

Nope! My bad, lol. That's what I get for trying to be helpful on hour 31 of being awake!
  • Options
    HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    I don't have issue with another Uhura, but there are other characters that could be used for Black History Month - for example Richard Daystrom as one of the most influential Human scientists of the 23rd century.

Quote: "By appearing on Star Trek in the immediate wake of the Civil Rights movement, Marshall’s portrayal of a brilliant yet tortured scientist impacted a great deal of Black viewers, inspiring many to pursue innovative careers in computer engineering and information technology. Seeing Daystrom collapse as he did may be difficult content to consume, but it serves as a reminder that human beings are complex, nuanced individuals, no matter how high their IQ may be."

Source

Or
    • Commander John Mark Kelly - commanded one of the first manned missions to Mars
    • Lily Sloane - rucial role in helping Cochrane accomplish his goal
    • Doctors Emory Erickson - the inventor of the molecular transporter...
    • Captain Tryla Scott - youngest person in Starfleet history to achieve a captain’s rank

PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    HaBlack wrote: »
    I don't have issue with another Uhura, but there are other characters that could be used for Black History Month - for example Richard Daystrom as one of the most influential Human scientists of the 23rd century.

Quote: "By appearing on Star Trek in the immediate wake of the Civil Rights movement, Marshall’s portrayal of a brilliant yet tortured scientist impacted a great deal of Black viewers, inspiring many to pursue innovative careers in computer engineering and information technology. Seeing Daystrom collapse as he did may be difficult content to consume, but it serves as a reminder that human beings are complex, nuanced individuals, no matter how high their IQ may be."

Source

Or
    • Commander John Mark Kelly - commanded one of the first manned missions to Mars
    • Captain Tryla Scott - youngest person in Starfleet history to achieve a captain’s rank

I'm more than happy with Uhura, but Daystrom is another good pick (not to rival Nichelle Nichols, just to avoid repetition). Emory Erickson I'm sure was in a campaign not long ago (I don't want to look, but I'm sure my 4/5 is from a campaign)
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Source

Or

So u prefer crap stats crew like Daystrom(2skill too)over decent stats crew?

Btw. Emory Erickson already has been camapigns crew, 5 campaigns ago.
    If you missed that fact, i doubt you find him so important. 😉
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    Daystrom is top 5 for Science proficiencies. Considering Armus and Red Angel are one and two, he's good for players trying to build their Gauntlet roster. Mine is on my list to equip during the Skirmish. A, RA, and L are the three Gauntlet crew I still need, so Daystrom has use for me there.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daystrom is top 5 for Science proficiencies. Considering Armus and Red Angel are one and two, he's good for players trying to build their Gauntlet roster. Mine is on my list to equip during the Skirmish. A, RA, and L are the three Gauntlet crew I still need, so Daystrom has use for me there.

He would have to be a lot stronger than 5 to make up for 2 skills. He's losing out on too many extra rolls when he only matches on SCI.
  • Options
    I lose to him often enough to want mine equipped. Considering I have a bunch of middling purples on my Gauntlet roster, I'll take what I can get.
  • Options
    HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭

Source

Or

So u prefer crap stats crew like Daystrom(2skill too)over decent stats crew?

Btw. Emory Erickson already has been camapigns crew, 5 campaigns ago.
    If you missed that fact, i doubt you find him so important. 😉

We could have another version of Daystrom or Ericson

vt8sz39hubqo.jpg
    3mtjplhzloah.jpg

We had cases where new crew was in campaign.

PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet