Home The Bridge
Options

Planet Killer? Boss battles?

Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
r39ndvdaa6pf.png

Seems interesting. A return to the long rumoured Boss Battle?

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm... or just a cool graphic to entice people to attend their session? DB/WRG has put out a lot of interesting artwork (splash screens and what not) over the years. This could just be another.

Or you could be right, and we'll soon be coordinating our squads and fleets to take down the level 99 tin foil assassin and its space debris minions!
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me of one of my favorite lines from Stargate SG-1: "The singularity is about to explode? Everything about that statement is wrong." :D
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    They also have a cool ad with spaceship battles. It of course does not show it's a card collecting game. But still cool.
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just give my 984 crew something additional(and worthy) to do! Please.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    The splash art certainly has me intrigued!
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just give my 984 crew something additional(and worthy) to do! Please.

hmmmm maybe we can load their bodies into the torpedo tubes of our brand new romulan birds of prey like decius these guys did? :D

06c284d3f757b15c02f47f3ff06dc275.png.jpg?itok=DTMmm_vN
  • Options
    There was another game I played back in '15-'16 that had a once-a-week special boss fight that you could join, if you were logged on at the exact time (1100AM, IIRC). The battle lasted a short time, and once it started, no one else could join. The boss ship had something like a billion hit points, and it took a lot of ships to defeat it in the limited time given. Often we didn't destroy it in time.

Can't remember the name of the game, but in it you collected a squadron of pilots (each with their own special ship) of varying rarity, and competed against other squadrons. There was a storyline but, like here, most players had completed all that and were only in it to collect the newest, rarest pilots.

The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaiMon Bok wrote: »
    There was another game I played back in '15-'16 that had a once-a-week special boss fight that you could join, if you were logged on at the exact time (1100AM, IIRC). The battle lasted a short time, and once it started, no one else could join. The boss ship had something like a billion hit points, and it took a lot of ships to defeat it in the limited time given. Often we didn't destroy it in time.

Can't remember the name of the game, but in it you collected a squadron of pilots (each with their own special ship) of varying rarity, and competed against other squadrons. There was a storyline but, like here, most players had completed all that and were only in it to collect the newest, rarest pilots.

The hint Ben gave in his Timelines Talk interview was a new feature involving fleets and utilizing ship and crew depth. I can totally see something like what you described being done as a fleet objective. Maybe we'll get a preview in his Chicago talk
  • Options
    JimBerlinJimBerlin ✭✭✭
    Can confirm. Good discussions were had. I know it's dangerous, but there was excitement in the air. Hope springs eternal.
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to team up with my Fleet!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HRHOEfngHg
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    JimBerlinJimBerlin ✭✭✭
    TLDR - live raids vs. timed event, if timed, will there be refills, is the goal to make use of most/all your ships, and can we finally build ship duplicates?

The next questions that pop up for me are about format, of course (live raids vs timed event). The video hints at live raids because you see ships attacking in the background while a player is attacking the boss. However this may just be a cool animation to make it more immersive. I'm leaning towered the latter.

If they're live "raids", that's going to impact fleets that have members around the world. If they're not, then we will likely get some sort of cool down or ticket system for attacking. We will get to use whatever ships we have until our timer/tickets run out. However, if the goal is to make use of a lot of/all your ships and crew, a set of X tickets makes less sense, unless they regenerate quickly. I imagine you will be able to buy more with "premium currency", but this game drops that at a very low rate. Maybe make refills available as rewards for other game modes to help that (OEs, Gauntlet, events, daily login bonuses, etc.).

That leads to my big question: will we finally be able to make use of extra schematics? If you haven't been using them for replication, a lot of us would be able to build duplicates of the ships available via dabo, at least. This would be no different from crew we are able to have multiple copies of, because of "timelines" waves hands

I'm really looking forward to a new game mode, especially one that rewards cooperation and allows me to use my bevy of ships.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    My assumption, until I see evidence otherwise, is that these will function similarly to the Clan Boss battles in PAID: Escrow Ledgers. They are timed only in the sense that every day the Clan Boss' hit points reset.

On there the Clan Boss has many difficulty settings, with escalating rewards as they get more difficult. Players are only given 2 Clan Boss keys per day, can only hold 4 max at any time, and players can buy more keys in the store or occasionally earn more keys from various rewards, gameplay, or in game apology messages for outages.

My guess is that it would work similarly in STT. If you look at the premium campaign track there are several places on that track with seemingly out of place rewards, most specifically starbase components, and it would not surprise me if those are placeholders for future items like extra World Eater tokens/keys.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    My assumption, until I see evidence otherwise, is that these will function similarly to the Clan Boss battles in PAID: Escrow Ledgers. They are timed only in the sense that every day the Clan Boss' hit points reset.

On there the Clan Boss has many difficulty settings, with escalating rewards as they get more difficult. Players are only given 2 Clan Boss keys per day, can only hold 4 max at any time, and players can buy more keys in the store or occasionally earn more keys from various rewards, gameplay, or in game apology messages for outages.

My guess is that it would work similarly in STT. If you look at the premium campaign track there are several places on that track with seemingly out of place rewards, most specifically starbase components, and it would not surprise me if those are placeholders for future items like extra World Eater tokens/keys.

I headcanon this explanation of the "our of place" Third Track Rewards over what it currently looks like.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    After watching the livestream from the convention, it sounds like this boss battle system will not be timed, but dynamic in that the fight you see is your ship vs the boss, while your fleetmates ships are there as decoration; however, their fights may have already happened (if they were logged in before you), or may not (if they haven't logged in yet). The only timing might be how long the boss battle round lasts, a few hours to a few days, possibly.

It would make sense to not have a specific time for the battle to commence; too much trouble coordinating this across global time periods.
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
  • Options
    Commodore PackCommodore Pack ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bylo Band

“PAID: Escrow Ledgers”
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Bravo, sir, bravo.