Home The Bridge
Options

Far Beyond the Stars collection?

With the new packs today & recently Ritterhouse, I can't help but feel that there may be a FBTS collection in the near future? Or it might even make a good Mega. But that is wishing too much

Even though there are still quite a few crew left, they may use existing crew to create a similar Scapegoat reward system?

Comments

• Options
    weakinteractionweakinteraction ✭✭✭✭
    Jumping into this thread to ask whether Willie will also be joining Niners Worf in the Play Ball! collection at some point.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jumping into this thread to ask whether Willie will also be joining Niners Worf in the Play Ball! collection at some point.

Ooooh...that is a good question. He's a ball player, but not dressed for the diamond. Hmm...this is a tough one. Isn't the description something about being ready to play?
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭
    Doubt it as it is a scene specific collection
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is unlikely, WRG try and keep the vanity collections small. The Holodeck Enthusiasts collection only has one card for each crew member, and there are about five cards in two vanity collections.

Gunslinger Uhura
    Sheriff Worf
    The Red Angel
    Human Neelix
    Tribbled Koloth and Korax
  • Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holodeck Enthusiasts is a special case because of the rewards available, they don't want to make it too easy to get the exclusive Janeway. I can't see any reason why Willie wouldn't be added to the Play Ball collection, but it will need to be done manually (as it's not trait based) so it may take a while.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    Holodeck Enthusiasts is a special case because of the rewards available, they don't want to make it too easy to get the exclusive Janeway. I can't see any reason why Willie wouldn't be added to the Play Ball collection, but it will need to be done manually (as it's not trait based) so it may take a while.

After this past week, something could be done that does not "take a while". They can give Shan a message to convey. Quick and easy and shuts down speculation, which can lead to frustration.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    edited June 2022

After this past week, something could be done that does not "take a while". They can give Shan a message to convey. Quick and easy and shuts down speculation, which can lead to frustration.

Oh I agree, absolutely. But we all know WRG doesn't really like sharing information. Better communication would shut down so many problems around here before they could start. No offense meant to Shan, we all know she can only pass on the information she's authorized to.

As it is, I was primarily speculating based on past performance. Although expecting consistency may be a step too far.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

The short answer is they likely don't know. They probably didn't think of it. So should he be added? Or will that cause balance issues? Will that create a bad precedent? What will it do to the rewards? I'm sure they haven't thought about any of these issues to have an answer because they didn't consider adding him. So Shan has nothing to say because WRG doesn't know. And anything she does say will be used against WRG if they change their mind once they consider the full implications. At most we'll get a "thank you for your feedback, I have forwarded it to the team" response.
  • Options

For me the salient argument is this: Willie Hawkins being a star baseball player is critical to his character and the role he plays in the story. He's there to personify the early days of the racial integration of Major League Baseball and evoke the legacy of Jackie Robinson (whose jersey number, 42, Willie wears). It's generally regarded by historians that Jackie's breaking of the color barrier is one of the definitive early events in the modern civil rights era. That's the whole point of "Far Beyond the Stars". Excluding Willie Hawkins from Play Ball! would constitute an egregious failure to understand Willie Hawkins, "Far Beyond the Stars", or baseball.

Also considered to have elements acknowledging Willy Mays. Like he is a blend of both their histories.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Willie_Hawkins
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

For me the salient argument is this: Willie Hawkins being a star baseball player is critical to his character and the role he plays in the story. He's there to personify the early days of the racial integration of Major League Baseball and evoke the legacy of Jackie Robinson (whose jersey number, 42, Willie wears). It's generally regarded by historians that Jackie's breaking of the color barrier is one of the definitive early events in the modern civil rights era. That's the whole point of "Far Beyond the Stars". Excluding Willie Hawkins from Play Ball! would constitute an egregious failure to understand Willie Hawkins, "Far Beyond the Stars", or baseball.

Also considered to have elements acknowledging Willy Mays. Like he is a blend of both their histories.

Oh, surely. Which reminds me: I have a sneaking suspicion the artwork of Willie Hawkins in a suit has to do with the prohibitive costs of licensing the rights to the New York Giants uniform that he wore in the episode.

kb076xznvpdu.jpg
  • Options
    Kim-NovakKim-Novak ✭✭✭

Kim-Novak wrote: »
    Doubt it as it is a scene specific collection

Not entirely; Buck is from S1 If Wishes Were Horses. (And, er, sorry for derailing your thread.)

Proper derailed now 🤣

I meant scene specific by actually being on the pitch/in uniform, not episode specific
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »

The short answer is they likely don't know. They probably didn't think of it. So should he be added? Or will that cause balance issues? Will that create a bad precedent? What will it do to the rewards? I'm sure they haven't thought about any of these issues to have an answer because they didn't consider adding him. So Shan has nothing to say because WRG doesn't know. And anything she does say will be used against WRG if they change their mind once they consider the full implications. At most we'll get a "thank you for your feedback, I have forwarded it to the team" response.

I don't see any balance issue at risk. If a player uses Willie Hawkins to hit the Niners avatar reward instead of immortalizing a 5*, so what? As for "a bad precedent," a precedent for what? Crew are already periodically added to collections retroactively.
  • Options

Oh, surely. Which reminds me: I have a sneaking suspicion the artwork of Willie Hawkins in a suit has to do with the prohibitive costs of licensing the rights to the New York Giants uniform that he wore in the episode.

kb076xznvpdu.jpg

That might be the issue. After all, who do you license from? San Francisco now? Or is it still someplace in New York?

• Options
    MicrohopperMicrohopper ✭✭✭✭
    Just blur out the team specific logos. Preferably with the orange tint that was prevalent a few months ago...
  • Options

Well said.
  • Options

kb076xznvpdu.jpg

That might be the issue. After all, who do you license from? San Francisco now? Or is it still someplace in New York?

It's still the same team so yeah, the San Francisco Giants hold the rights to the New York Giants. This also reminded me this is why the Niners Sisko artwork we have puts him in that uniform, but is clearly taken from this earlier practice scene. Whenever we eventually get Niners Jake, his artwork may well be based on that same shot but he definitely won't be wearing a Braves cap.

u49rh2up8mgz.jpg

(Also, now that I think of it, doesn't this make Niners Sisko a Timelines Original?)
  • Options
    edited June 2022

kb076xznvpdu.jpg

It's still the same team so yeah, the San Francisco Giants hold the rights to the New York Giants. This also reminded me this is why the Niners Sisko artwork we have puts him in that uniform, but is clearly taken from this earlier practice scene. Whenever we eventually get Niners Jake, his artwork may well be based on that same shot but he definitely won't be wearing a Braves cap.

u49rh2up8mgz.jpg

(Also, now that I think of it, doesn't this make Niners Sisko a Timelines Original?)

He did appear in the uniform later. But, was he ever in that pose in it? That is a poser.

I know he was in a Niners' Uniform in the best scene of seven seasons......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-pSg1PbPa8

"Look it up, but do it in the stands. YOU'RE GONE!" cracks me up every time!

Also, Odo had the rulebook memorized. He told Worf to take his position in the batter's box, and Worf refused, saying "Do not rush me." Worf violated Rule 5.04{b}{3}. When he refused to take his position in a timely manner, Odo should have called a strike on him. Which would have been his third strike. You can theoretically strike out without being pitched to, if you refuse to take your position in the batter's box three times.
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every new collection brings us closer to consistent 12 hour long voyages without a refill. Keep 'em coming! (like Malcolm Reed said in an interview) :)
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options

kb076xznvpdu.jpg

u49rh2up8mgz.jpg

He did appear in the uniform later. But, was he ever in that pose in it? That is a poser.

That's my point: he only struck that specific stance in the workout clothes and Giants cap, not the Niners uniform.
  • Options

kb076xznvpdu.jpg

u49rh2up8mgz.jpg

That's my point: he only struck that specific stance in the workout clothes and Giants cap, not the Niners uniform.

I was totally agreeing it looked like they used the pose from practice with the uniform from the game. Just was curious if he EVER "struck the pose" in the game uni. If it was one frame, someone will "But, at timestamp 43:07.03 he was in that pose while playing for one frame."

Trust me. The last week has shown me that fans of any franchise will nitpick. I used to myself. But I have a full bucket of unused nits at the moment!

The Boys dropped like twelve hours late on Prime, so I guess that will be today's episode to get torn apart. People have already done SNW, The Orville, Obi-Ben Kenobi, and Ms. Marvel for this week.

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭

Well said and as such he should have the cultural figure trait as he is a cultural figure.
    Let’s fly!