Home Make It So!

Fleet Boss Battle

Thank you for adding a new activity to the game. I really appreciate that. Now with that aside. Let me bring up a few things and make a suggestion or two...

1. This is a timed action. Which is fine However, with the increase in strength of boss from one level to the next, would you consider making harder levels have a bit more time as you level up.

2. (With this being a timed action in mind) It takes forever to find crew with the right traits for bonuses and with such vast crew to pick through you would need to unfreeze crew and hope you have room to do so. This does not only take a long time to figure out, it causes confusion, chaos and complaints. (I say this as an Admiral)
2a. Could you be more forth coming and just display the traits on the bonus crew slot area that are required to open that bonus. (As they look when they are activated and showing the traits that were used.) Also if you want to make selection quicker for players sake and ending the confusion, how about only displaying characters that can unlock the bonus slot. (However my idea goes a little deeper than that) How about displaying all of the crew whether you have them or not, whether or not it is in cryo. (When you click a crew you do not have it will take you to that crews polestar list in crew retrieval) (When you click on a crew from cryo it pops up unfreeze from cryo???) This would definitely make things go a lot smoother.

2b. A second suggestion would be to use the same style used in skirmish with bonus tagged to the crew avatar to make selection easier.

3. The problem with crew room availability. When Doing the Boss Battle you need crew from your cryo. It is hard to be a collector who has been leveling crew since the beginnings of this game. I find personally that just about every time free slots are given out, I have just run out of space. Needing more space has put a large strain on crew slots that i did not have at the time, forcing me to remove crew I had intended to level when obtaining more stars for them. I had a couple of suggestions to relieve this kind of stress for all of the players.

3a. Allow the free use of frozen crew without having to unfreeze them.

3b. Add a new crew quarters room on starbases that allows you to transfer crew to use for boss battles, event's, faction missions, Voyages, Crew Mission, or Cadet Missions

I think that about covers my concerns about the Boss Battle Section.
I do as I said appreciate the new content on the game and hope you keep bring more to this game. Please let me know what you think of these suggestions I am curious how this feature is going to advance

Best Regards,
-Wizz-

Comments

• PapaPapa ✭✭
    Great feedback and suggestions from Wizz. It was already mentioned, but the easiest level(s) should not require a fleet with a majority of very active members. Overall the Boss Battles are an awesome addition and it is obvious that a lot of effort went into it. However, it seems my fleet has about 25% active on a daily basis. The new feature should not result in active players 'jumping ship (fleet)' in order to join a more active fleet (where is the loyalty?). Again, not a new comment, but felt it was worth repeating. Best Regards, Papa
  • WizzdomeWizzdome ✭✭✭
    Completely agree there too... Some die hard fans are weekend players some are daily players and if it takes a whole active fleet to take down a boss that is pretty sad. I have seen anywhere from 20 to 30 participants in boss battle under the damage tab so I can really feel that. However with that we have managed to open Brutal already with only 37 members in my fleet and me spending most of my time now looking for recruits in chat. Just trying to get back to that 50 mark... Best of Luck and thanks for the feedback.
  • It really needs to log failures like Skirmishes and in cases where it errors instead of just eating the token, give players a second chance to launch the battle. Especially with how long valor takes to refresh
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 to all of the above. Well said, @The Quiggler ". 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • +1
  • But isn't the point of Fleet Boss Battles to cooperate with a fleet??
    Maybe I'm just coming from a fleet that cooperates well enough that we can manage to keep progressing well enough, when we all work together. (the fleet chat history could be longer with all the conversations about FBB strategy though)
    But this is finally something that the whole fleet can work together for. Other than working with your squads for a few more event rewards, or the encouragement to push yourself to do better (as long as you have a good squad to work with), the few extra buffs from starbase bonuses have been the only thing worth joining fleets for before this. Now that there is a real reason to join a fleet, you want to say that it's not fair?
    You don't have to really do much, if any, interacting with fleetmates, if you don't want to. As long as you have a fleet that participates enough, you get SO MANY more rewards, and ways to improve your own buffs.
    I don't really see the problem here. But that may just be me.
  • The QuigglerThe Quiggler ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Somehow I think you completely missed my point. You ask, isn't the point of fleet battles to participate with a fleet? And I agree that's exactly what it is. There are fleets out there with only 10 active players who are close and tight. Do they have to split up to eventually be able have your success? Isn't an f2p player a fleet of one? (Whatever their reasons are for not wanting to be in larger groups.) Must they conform to your style of play, whether they want to or not, to be able to advance their Bridge and enjoy this new feature on Star Trek Timelines? Is that the only way they can upgrade? What I am suggesting are avenues where you can continue to play exactly the way you are playing and enjoy it, and others can continue to play it exactly the way that they play it and enjoy it. You said at one point ... "as long as you have a fleet that participates" (and I'll add, with a minimum number of players); is there a way that we can do this without having to use that phrase, that also does not interfere with your style of play? Isn't the point of the whole thing to just be a game of entertainment? And are we all entertained the same?
    A healthy attitude is contagious but don't wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier.
  • Ok, I see your point. But that's just it, it's just one part of the game. If players want to continue to play the game as they have, they can do so. But if they want to participate in fleet boss battles, you need an adequate fleet.
    There will always be things that, if you want to fully participate in, you have to change the way you play the game. That's just how these kinds of games work.
    This could be a chance for the smaller fleets to join with other similar fleets, if they like.
    Either way, it's just one part of the game. Players can continue to play the parts of the game as they have before. So there are a few upgrades they won't get. The same things applies if a fleet doesn't have a fully leveled up starbase. Or if a player isn't in a fleet.
  • I don’t want to discount the work that went into the fleet boss, but I would like to say Star Trek is not about space battles, it’s about exploring, doing science, diplomacy. It would be great if we had more Expedition Events, if the galaxy map were expanded and undiscovered systems were opened up, if there were more puzzles and more away team missions! Give us new stories for voyage dilemmas (I know what’s what without even reading now) and make the choices have consequences—right now, it doesn’t matter what you choose, you get stuff. Thanks
  • WizzdomeWizzdome ✭✭✭
    I like the idea, and I think Protector of Tribbles is just Taking for granted what new players have to go through. If someone wants to start a new fleet it is becoming more and more impossible and those who try now fail horribly and lose interest in the game. The objective is to make the new addition to the game 1. Fun to play, 2. Easy to understand, 3. Fair to all players, 4.Rewarding.

Now giving Admirals control of which battle the fleet can do should be considered. Make Fleet Boss Battle only start by admiral and only allow one active... This would get the fleet to work together instead of spreading out and doing lower levels just so they can get rewards from them. Looking through boss battles I have 2 doing Brutal 2 doing easy, 2 doing normal and the rest doing Hard. When each resets the whole fleet does not get rewards, only those who participated in that battle. That means when your fleet is divided you miss out on the best rewards. Give Admiral some other way of maintaining order in fleets. (Not everyone lives in the same time zone or may not even speak the same language, so a lot of times fleet chat does not work well to communicate. Half the time when you log into the game and go to fleet chat there is nothing there, even though a chat has been going on.) I don't think people who play this game should be forced to communicate through other means like discord or facebook when it has a functioning chat. Though chat could use mending and private messages could be improved... (when you send a pm to someone offline... they will not get it until you send them one while they are online this is not how it should work...) The only way an Admiral has to temper fleet compliance is by kicking people from fleet who wander into the wrong fleet battle... This is also not the way it should work...

I really do like the idea of boss hp not resetting until defeated. Allowing say someone playing alone in a fleet because nobody wants to join a new fleet. If you keep that player engaged and give a positive way that you can succeed they may one day be able to build that fleet into something. I also would consider just removing the timers completely... surely there are enough timers putting strain on servers already to remove boss battle timers from all fleets would accomplish the same thing and contribute to the heath of the server as well... I think Veteran Players from Veteran Fleets often take for granted that not everyone has played the game since day one, and more people are playing for the first time daily. Lets not make this something that will overwhelm them but lets make it enjoyable. With the HP of bosses it is definitely challenging and every fleet should have a chance to advance somehow and not be stuck getting absolutely nothing from a boss battle... I am sure it will all work out in the end, but there is much to consider when looking at suggestions for the new feature.

Please Keep up the good work, oh and add a new episode soon maybe...

Kindly -
    -Wizz-
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please allow fleet admirals to lock boss battles manually!

We have someone who purrposely does those boss battles that don't help themselves nor the rest of the fleet (Ultra-Nightmare + Easy) while we have clearly "MotD"-ed everyone and asked all members to focus on Nightmare and Hard for Billy I & II and occasionally extra Kemocite for those with lower bridge levels. 46 of 50 people are listening, which is nice, but there's always those who don't, can't or don't want to.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • JoeSage 2JoeSage 2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Jhamel wrote: »

We have someone who purrposely does those boss battles that don't help themselves nor the rest of the fleet (Ultra-Nightmare + Easy) while we have clearly "MotD"-ed everyone and asked all members to focus on Nightmare and Hard for Billy I & II and occasionally extra Kemocite for those with lower bridge levels. 46 of 50 people are listening, which is nice, but there's always those who don't, can't or don't want to.

My quick-&-dirty answer for this problem is ... kick that person from the fleet!! Since I have seen this from {Bylo Band & et al} I thought I'd chime in & if I get flamed ... I have my bb pants on & asked for it!!

The devs have said that they are NOT going to lock FBB for reasons ... go w/that & run your fleet with clear warnings that starting & blowing the plan to tackle specific level of FBB is bye-bye time for you ... you can always invite back if ya feels.

I am an admiral, we were down to 19 players & several not on for months (so we can't get daily 200 ISM let alone all the extra honor & chronos); now we are up to 42 (with me kicking 2 squad leaders not on in 3 months) & just beat Normal & looking like Hard is going down! One of my peeps IMd me & we spend Dil (& the 10 Valor bonus) & got Normal done ... Hard is looking doable & we'll see how Brutal & NM & UNM go ... & as I hit 50 peeps in Fleet, I kick the ones who ignore my MOTD, SL who are not on in a month w/o notice, & peeps not online the longest. LL&P & I posted so fire away, y'all, fire away

edit1 {Bylo Band}
    edit2 while I prolly wouldn't have kicked peeps out before, I started recruiting for FBB & I hope the Fleet is doing a little better w/a little more structure. P&LL
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe Sage2 wrote: »
    Jhamel wrote: »

My quick-&-dirty answer for this problem is ... kick that person from the fleet!! Since I have seen this from {Bylo Band & et al} I thought I'd chime in & if I get flamed ... I have my bb pants on & asked for it!!

The devs have said that they are NOT going to lock FBB for reasons ... go w/that & run your fleet with clear warnings that starting & blowing the plan to tackle specific level of FBB is bye-bye time for you ... you can always invite back if ya feels.

I am an admiral, we were down to 19 players & several not on for months (so we can't get daily 200 ISM let alone all the extra honor & chronos); now we are up to 42 (with me kicking 2 squad leaders not on in 3 months) & just beat Normal & looking like Hard is going down! One of my peeps IMd me & we spend Dil (& the 10 Valor bonus) & got Normal done ... Hard is looking doable & we'll see how Brutal & NM & UNM go ... & as I hit 50 peeps in Fleet, I kick the ones who ignore my MOTD, SL who are not on in a month w/o notice, & peeps not online the longest. LL&P & I posted so fire away, y'all, fire away

edit1 {Bylo Band}
    edit2 while I prolly wouldn't have kicked peeps out before, I started recruiting for FBB & I hope the Fleet is doing a little better w/a little more structure. P&LL

WAIT! You can't kick them. Ben has said that he won't let admirals/officers lock battles because that means some people might not be able to play boss fight. If you kick them, they will be without a fleet and won't be able to play boss fight! In fact, I have heard from "inside sources" that a change is coming to fleets: When people join a fleet, you CAN'T kick them, they have to leave on thier own. Unless they are inactive for 30 days or more, you can't remove them. ;)
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • JoeSage 2JoeSage 2 ✭✭✭
    sarcasm, it's why I hate emoijs ;-) I can kick whoever for whatever reason, and while it might be fun to kick someone who just joined to see if your wrong {joke}, I have kept people in the fleet who were offline over 3 months before, so trying to level up FBB is why I'm kicking folks. LL&P
  • Tribble MamaTribble Mama ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    There are a lot of reasons someone could be kicked out of a fleet, with cause. Not all because they don't log on in a month. Bad behavior in chat being the first to come to mind. We had someone badmouthing a fleetmate in the fleet chat a couple months ago. He got kicked out, for good reason.
    (if you are an admiral Nomad, as your tagline suggests, you should know that the ability to kick people out of a fleet is an essential part of fleet maintenance.)

** If I misread this as being serious, when in reality it was meant to be sarcasm, sorry. It's hard to tell when people are being sarcastic in text...
  • JoeSage 2JoeSage 2 ✭✭✭
    I *think* Nomad is being sarcastic, but no big thang either way. LL&P
  • LeiyanLeiyan ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    nevermind!
  • I like the idea of the FBB, but our fleet has dwindled in size, and despite our best efforts, the best we've done is get 50% on easy, and that's with spending some dilithium - something we can't really afford to do very often. I was wondering if there was a way to make the gameplay time more dynamic based on the number of members in the fleet? We know that the max fleet size is 50, but if you only had 20 members, maybe double the time? or if you have less than 10 (such as our case) maybe allow triple the time? We can do some damage, and over enough time, we could eventually take the boss down. But 24 hours just isn't enough for small fleets. Everything else is workable - but a sliding time scale could help out the "little guys" - what do you think?
    Joe Sage2 wrote: »
    I *think* Nomad is being sarcastic, but no big thang either way. LL&P

Well, guilty as charged o:)>:)
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • @Admiral Hess
    I like that idea. DB needs to find a way so that smaller fleets still have access to success. One of my earlier suggestions played off of a similar idea. " When the fleet (of any size) fails to defeat the Boss the scenario resets with a little less total damage; the boss' hull has been weakened. And it progressively resets with a little less damage until the next level is unlocked. So, theoretically, a F2P player, given enough time, could eventually start a boss fight and win it. When the next level unlocks all damage goes back to maximum value."
    A healthy attitude is contagious but don't wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier.
    edited August 2022
    *sigh* nm....
  • I'm in an active fleet, we've unlocked all Boss Battles, and now continually hit Brutal, soon many will be Captain Bridge level 9, on or after level 10 Bilitrium 3 will be needed from Nightmare Doomsday Device Battles, which means spending dilithium for many fleet members to defeat it.
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Purrection: Billy III won't be needed up to Level 13 where you will need Billy III only, but Level 9 will already require Billy II only. Levels 10 to 12 will require Billy I and II, while 11+ will ask for double Billy I and single Billy II per project point.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Some way to obtain extra Valor without spending dilithium would be really beneficial. The 10 extra Valor the other day has helped a lot of fleets clear one of the intermediate levels on the way to the (slightly paradoxically more straightforward) higher levels. Another package like that would definitely help (maybe when the new client comes out with the various fixes?).

But I would like to suggest that the devs create a mechanism to earn Valor by performing well elsewhere in the game. I got my best weekend event finish in some time recently and it reminded me that when Crew Retrieval (the last big new feature) was introduced, the event rewards were overhauled to dish out ISM and skill/rarity constellations (very hard to obtain via scanning).

I'm not suggesting Valor should also be added to the weekend events, but maybe the next endurance event could give out 5 or 10 Valor for the top tier of one of the objectives? Then fleets could plan ahead to make a run at a tricky boss once everyone's had a chance to earn that. Or perhaps, as and when we get back to having variety in midweek events, we could have a type that gave out 1 Valor per strand? With a bit of coordination, that would probably be enough for many fleets to be able to tackle whichever one they're currently stuck on ...
  • It is really hard for a new, small fleet to beat even the easy boss, and haven't had luck recruiting. As a result, the active players have no kemo to upgrade any further, and trying to finish the boss just becomes frustrating. I like the suggestion to be able to exchange a bunch of magnesite for kemo.
  • tytlaltytlal ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    and we need boss damage records like event rank, daily targets...ofc it would be useful to know to which boss,too
    and what about fleet merit bank, to whom all participate(with records ,ofc, ) and admiral or merit officer to dispatch collected merits to combochain wizards?
  • AsmodanAsmodan ✭✭✭
    i would be grateful for an increase in total valor. only having four at a time limits me considerably because i simply don't hit as hard as most of my fleetmates. it takes me between 6-7 valor for a typical brutal/nightmare boss. perhaps increasing total valor to 6 in the future would be helpful to some of us noob folks.
    pro deo et denny crane
  • WizzdomeWizzdome ✭✭✭
    @Shan hey with the changes in rewards, is there still going to be officer and above control for admiral's still? I noticed that this was not mentioned in the notice so I am real curious as to whether I can prepare for this change or if now that rewards are changing that they feel that is not necessary now? Any more you could share would be appreciated.