Home The Bridge
Options

Is tier 1 a fast moving target now?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    My main issue is the spacing of the releases. Having them so close together results in a bit of event grind burnout. Especially with the addition of new midweek objective events annoyingly designed to further drain resources.

If they had the same number of top voyagers per year but released more evenly across the calendar, it would be far more palatable, for myself at least.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    My main issue is the spacing of the releases. Having them so close together results in a bit of event grind burnout. Especially with the addition of new midweek objective events annoyingly designed to further drain resources.

If they had the same number of top voyagers per year but released more evenly across the calendar, it would be far more palatable, for myself at least.

This is exactly what i mean. I feel like once or twice a month there is a new supremely powerful crew to obtain.

I understand the whales wanting to savagey defend this new format, and im not saying i dont want new powerful crew, but at this point, i feel like tier 10 is not low enough because so many crew that were marginally desirable in beholds are quickly becoming total wastes of time.

Yes, fbb gives incentive to all crew, but at the cost of crew slots and if you want to freeze a low power or aged gold, its gonna cost you 160k honor minimum.

Just saying, i understand whales calling it “whining” but this new pace of tier 1’s rolling out will be a big problem before too long.
  • Options
    Just saying, i understand whales calling it “whining” but this new pace of tier 1’s rolling out will be a big problem before too long.

Earnestly, though, I don't think the size of the problem, if it even is a problem, is that large. It's not as though the new top crew are SO much better than existing ones that the Big Book peeps need to invent a Tier 0 to handle it. The Value Over Replacement Card, if you like, of the new arrivals is not so much that it instantly renders older cards obsolete. If a 1/5 Arex had a voyage total that was 100s more than a 5/5 Gary Seven, or something, I'd agree there was a power creep problem, but that's not what's happening. And on the other hand cards like Vindicta, who with her limitless hammer is clearly designed for FBB, have been released as 4*s anyone can get for a very small effort.

From my point of view there's a point where with enough immortalised golds you can consistently hit 10 hour voyages and staff event shuttles simultaneously, and at that point - which in all honesty does not need more than a few dozen cards in the Tier 1-4 range, really - any improvement to your roster becomes incredibly marginal, so chasing new cards that happen to be Tier 1 becomes purely a matter of choice, just as much as eg selecting a fave character to immortalise all variants of is. That's where I think the disconnect in this thread is, because you're taking as a premise that it's absolutely essential to collect all new Tier 1 crew, but even most of the people who do choose to do that don't really see it that way.

I dont disagree with what you are saying.

But even at the “modest” incremental increase in stats, eventually (6-12 months?) these new powerful crew will make 14 hr or even 16hr voyages possible. And it will be impossible unless you have those crew. So, the crew that you used for 10 hour voyages will be completely useless except for shuttle events, maybe fbb nodes and perhaps the odd gauntlet.

Today, sure, its a small step up, but at this pace it wont be for long.

Aside from that, i think the question should be asked about why whales want this new fast pace? It dosnt have to do with collecting. It has to do with utility and advantage in the game.

So, if you play that out for a year, do you really think that puts the game in a better place? A place where you compete for a new tier 1 thats going to be completely phased out by a better card in the near future? In my opinion it gets to a point where making the choice to spend game resources to acquire a crew is basically a game of chance, and you are betting on how quickly the game devs will change the parameters of the attributs that you considered when making your decision to acquire and immortalize.

Listen i want new powerful crew, a few years ago it seemed like we got 3 or 4 tier 1 a year. We are more than double if not quadruple that now

• Options
    Princess_UhuraPrincess_Uhura ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    For kicks, i took a look at tier 1 and tier 2 in the bigbook.app.

Tier 1: all 5 released in past three months.

Tier 2: 11 of the 20 released in 2022, 3 in 2021. Exceptions are locutus from 2017, red angel from 2020, caretaker from 2018 (gauntlet exclusives) spork from 2021, a fuse card, braxton and gary seven, previously best in game.

That pacing of tier 1 and tier 2 being essentially replaced or overpowered every 6 minths is excessive.

That means a brand new tier 1 will be tier 3 or worse by the time it hits the portal.

In retrospect, i should have looked at that data first. The answer to my question in the thread title is blatantly obvious.
  • Options
    [quote="Princess_Uhura;c
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Again.
    7 From Events.
    4 From Pack.
    1 is a fuse from and Event and Pack crew (both in portal)
    Furthermore:
    2 are giveaways.
    1 is an Achievement.
    1 is from Boss Battles.
    3 are Gauntlet (4 if you include Locutus)
    1 is a Mega Event crew

No one’s holding a gun to your head to get these.
    Of the three event crew in the top 5:
    Two have medium collection value and strong voyage use.
    The best of the three has the strongest voyage value, is a great event crew, has some Arena utility and is of a beloved character.

A made an effort to get Spock. Vedela I picked up because I was bored that weekend and Acting Tier 1 Arex is being overrated by Big Book. I expect a Tier One crew to be good in at least two areas of the game and he is not.

They could have come from wrg apology emails for all that i care.

16 of the 25 most powerful crew in the game were released in the past 9 months. If you want to say that its a good thing, you can definitely do that.

Regardless, it makes it clear that “best in the game” is a fleeting thing, and it might be a better strategy to avoid new crew all together until you have about 2,000,000 honor and an honor sale handy so that you can target the next 15 tier 1’s and that way, you can have the best crew in the game for 3 months.

Then you can do it all over again.

Back to my original question, are you disputing that tier 1 is a fast moving target?
  • Options
    [quote="Princess_Uhura;c
    Again.
    7 From Events.
    4 From Pack.
    Furthermore:
    2 are giveaways.
    1 is an Achievement.
    1 is from Boss Battles.
    1 is a Mega Event crew

The best of the three has the strongest voyage value, is a great event crew, has some Arena utility and is of a beloved character.

A made an effort to get Spock. Vedela I picked up because I was bored that weekend and Acting Tier 1 Arex is being overrated by Big Book. I expect a Tier One crew to be good in at least two areas of the game and he is not.

16 of the 25 most powerful crew in the game were released in the past 9 months. If you want to say that its a good thing, you can definitely do that.

Regardless, it makes it clear that “best in the game” is a fleeting thing, and it might be a better strategy to avoid new crew all together until you have about 2,000,000 honor and an honor sale handy so that you can target the next 15 tier 1’s and that way, you can have the best crew in the game for 3 months.

Back to my original question, are you disputing that tier 1 is a fast moving target?

Power creep happens. You keep on acting like this is a new thing. Best in game is always a fleeting thing. I remember feeling like a was a total boss for having the Borg Queen. This has been going on for the past 6 years.

The bigger question is what kind of hoops do you have to jump through to get those top 25/50/100 crew (I made some new goalposts just for you)?

There are multiple paths to getting quality crew in game and that’s what actually matters. Hawt new voyager will net me an extra couple of minutes some of the time and gets me 2* components I don’t need. Strategically spending quantum, saving honour, playing the gauntlet and manipulating my event resources gets me multiple crew for a variety of in game purposes.

To answer your question: You’re creating new drama for a very old question.
    This post isn’t here to satisfy you, it’s here for everyone else.
    ???

None of what you just said amounts to anything more than you going for broke trying to hush me.

There is absolutely no question that the rate of “power creep”, to use your preferred word, is leaps and bounds beyond anything ever seen in the games history.

It is absolutely a fast moving target, you can argue that you like it if you want, but to deny it is just silly.

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're both pretty.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    You're both pretty.

Thank you :smile:
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    [quote="Princess_Uhura;c
    Again.
    7 From Events.
    4 From Pack.
    Furthermore:
    2 are giveaways.
    1 is an Achievement.
    1 is from Boss Battles.
    1 is a Mega Event crew

Power creep happens. You keep on acting like this is a new thing. Best in game is always a fleeting thing. I remember feeling like a was a total boss for having the Borg Queen. This has been going on for the past 6 years.

The bigger question is what kind of hoops do you have to jump through to get those top 25/50/100 crew (I made some new goalposts just for you)?

There are multiple paths to getting quality crew in game and that’s what actually matters. Hawt new voyager will net me an extra couple of minutes some of the time and gets me 2* components I don’t need. Strategically spending quantum, saving honour, playing the gauntlet and manipulating my event resources gets me multiple crew for a variety of in game purposes.

To answer your question: You’re creating new drama for a very old question.
    This post isn’t here to satisfy you, it’s here for everyone else.
    ???

None of what you just said amounts to anything more than you going for broke trying to hush me.

There is absolutely no question that the rate of “power creep”, to use your preferred word, is leaps and bounds beyond anything ever seen in the games history.

It is absolutely a fast moving target, you can argue that you like it if you want, but to deny it is just silly.

No one is trying to silence you. Pushback against your opinions is not hushing you.

You’re going to have to a strenuous analysis of crew releases over the past several years to get the answer you want. Great claims require great evidence.

In the mean time you have several paths to obtaining and levelling high quality crew.

Now I’m going to go check on my Fleet’s boss battle. I will doubtlessly use my Mirror Bashir who is of more value than Acting Tier 1 Arex.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    I dont think i need to do an exhaustive review of crew releases when at the mere mention if “hey do you think this pace is too fast now?” There is stainch defense if the current release regime by all the whales.

Suffice it to say i know now that this argument is falling completely ipon deaf ears as the majority of the forum people seem to be whales and enjoy having new shiny ferraris to buy.

Again, im not trying to chop the block from under you. But this pace is going to lead to burn out, in my opinion. And it wont remedy any of the deflating fleet numbers.

• Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    My VIP number is in my sig. I've been playing the game since April 2016. And I'm not shocked that you're unwilling to any work to back up your claims. I've seen this rodeo before.

The game has been doing events for 1x 5* and 1x 4* almost every week for years. Almost every week there's also one new 1x 5* or 1x 4* through a pack. Every other month the game gives you a 4x 5* through mega events and has been for years.

WRG's innovation is periodically giving away a 4x 5* and some of its equipment. Maybe twice per year. THOSE MONSTERS!!!!!!

You're working under the assumption that people get crew based solely on power. Substantial amounts of players will just get crew because they like it. No one is being forced to get anything. You've also done a pretty poor job defining what power is. Sure Bigbook does a pretty good job of presenting a variety of stats. It also heavily weights Voyage power over other game elements and it doesn't weight Boss Battle effectiveness at all.

Here's a comparison:
    Acting Tier One Arex
    Voyage: Beast
    Gauntlet: Adequate
    Event: Poor
    Shuttle: Good
    Collections: 3 (with some more potential)
    Arena: Poor
    Boss Battles: Poor (Big Book: good in Arena doesn't mean good in Boss Battles)

Tier 5 Man Scotty
    Voyage: Trash
    Gauntlet: Trash
    Event: Beast
    Shuttles: Beast
    Collections: 2
    Arena: Excellent
    Boss Battles: Beast

Event crew vs what is effectively a giveaway at 1/5. 3/5 Will take some work.

Notice that Arex is only really great in one area of the game whereas Scotty is excellent in 4 of them (although there's some overlap in those areas).

VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Thanks bylo band. As you pointed iut people have different ways of calculating value on crew. Ehether its tier 1, top voyager, best stats, etc.

Im just going to drop it though. I dont have confidence that even if i looked at all crew releases for the past 6 years that anything i presented wouldnt be subject to the same retort that the only known ranking system is not relevant on its own.

So, people here will be happier for me to drop it, and i will be happier too, because i really dont need to convince any of you of anything.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think i need to do an exhaustive review of crew releases when at the mere mention if “hey do you think this pace is too fast now?” There is stainch defense if the current release regime by all the whales.

Suffice it to say i know now that this argument is falling completely ipon deaf ears as the majority of the forum people seem to be whales and enjoy having new shiny ferraris to buy.

Again, im not trying to chop the block from under you. But this pace is going to lead to burn out, in my opinion. And it wont remedy any of the deflating fleet numbers.

You've probably spent more money on this game than I have. Stop assuming everyone who disagrees with you is a whale. Just because you dislike the release pace doesn't mean others have to. And it certainly doesn't mean everyone who likes the schedule is a whale outspending you.
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »

You've probably spent more money on this game than I have. Stop assuming everyone who disagrees with you is a whale. Just because you dislike the release pace doesn't mean others have to. And it certainly doesn't mean everyone who likes the schedule is a whale outspending you.

I said i was going to drop it, Avitrek.

Whats with the last kick on my way out the door? (Speaking of this thread, not the forum)

Perhaps YOU should also drop it. Thanks.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Thanks bylo band. As you pointed iut people have different ways of calculating value on crew. Ehether its tier 1, top voyager, best stats, etc.

Im just going to drop it though. I dont have confidence that even if i looked at all crew releases for the past 6 years that anything i presented wouldnt be subject to the same retort that the only known ranking system is not relevant on its own. [emphasis added]

So, people here will be happier for me to drop it, and i will be happier too, because i really dont need to convince any of you of anything.
    Thanks for an entertaining thread! 🖖

One minor quibble: There are other known ranking systems, e.g. the CAB (STT) Power Ratings Tool. It That system, as well as many other helpful community resources, may be found in the Ready Room. Some of those are listed for quick reference in the following thread, maintained by @Captain Idol .

https://forum.wickedrealmgames.com/stt/discussion/15799/guides-and-tips-resources-and-help-for-players-updated-2022-06-26-fleet-boss-battle-tools/p1
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    DO we get new Tier 1 Crew pretty often? Yes.

Is this normal for most games that have a half-way decent creative team? Yes.

IS it aggravating to have to keep waiting for a lucky Portal drop to get someone who was all the rage when introduced, and is now like Tier Three or lower? Personal experience would imply VERY aggravating.

But, that is just the game. Any game, really. Just be thankful we don't have to fight for a brand-new game component that is integral to a game, only to have to then buy "Upgrade Components" to Upgrade it three times for it to BARELY do what it should be designed to do when released. People that play a certain GlitchEye game know what I mean.

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?