Home Ready Room
Options

When do you decide to strategically bail on an event?

I'm not talking about events that you don't care about; say participating just enough in a mega-event to get a copy of the recurring legendary. I mean events that you have a specific goal for (top 1,000 for the 5*, maybe to fill out your collection of the ranked 4*). How long does it take you to decide that you'll probably not reach you're intended goal and should quit before you use up too many resources/your time?

Just for an example (I'm not saying I'm personally considering quitting this event): I'm in the top 1,100-1,300 right now in the faction event for Leonardo Da Vinci. I don't have the best crew for the event (my success %s vary from 80-60, with boosts, for 4,000 VP missions running 4 shuttles), although in true sunk-cost fashion I decided to FE the threshold reward crew Commander Chapel. How long until you would bail out and not worry about the event? It's day two as I'm writing this thread. Also, the ranked reward doesn't matter to me: I already have an immortalized Temporal Seven. But I would be really excited to collect Da Vinci. How long would you hold out in my situation if you weren't cracking the top 1,000?

And also how would the following factors affect your decision:
1. The desire for your targeted reward crew? And maybe even anticipating how competitive the event might get (how desirable you think the rewards are for everybody).
2. Type of event (faction/galaxy/hybrid or expedition if they bring those back)?
3. How well your crew stacks up for the event?
4. Whether you're okay with a lesser reward (so if you were gunning for top 1,000 but getting top 1,500 or whatever you need to complete that ranked reward?)
5. How many resources do you have saved up? Are you anticipating a future event you'd want to use those resources towards?
6. Lastly, IRL events that might detract from your ability to compete.

Comments

• Options
    It normally comes down to whether or not I want to spend any more resources on an Event in which I can no longer gain anything that I want. Why, for example, pump a couple of thousand Chrons into a Galaxy Event when getting a Top 1000 is just a dream and when the Ranking reward 4* is already somebody you have FF/FE?

• Options
    As basic as ppssible.
    Faction: do event 10 pull, hope for threshold. If needing ranked 4*, prepare to loss sleep if i need 2 or more to immortalize ranked super rare. 1/5 legendary will choke crew space and not get used.
    Galaxy: nope, jk. Max threshold, collect community, do the pull and hope for a behold.
    Expedition: Rank 300 day one, Rank 500 day two, rank 700 day three, Rank 900 day four. Finish event Rank 1024.
    Faction/Expedition: Im going to get me a legenday.
    Faction/Galaxy: max threshold, max community. Peace.
    Galaxy/Expedition: Please, please, please, please, please
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bakkster wrote: »
    It normally comes down to whether or not I want to spend any more resources on an Event in which I can no longer gain anything that I want. Why, for example, pump a couple of thousand Chrons into a Galaxy Event when getting a Top 1000 is just a dream and when the Ranking reward 4* is already somebody you have FF/FE?

This was my dilemma with the last Galaxy. Once I got Buster and Duchamps FF, I wasn't willing to throw away all those chronitons (especially because of the extra day of play) just for a chance at Honey Bare, when I might not even get her after all that. I really wanted to acquire her, but I felt it was foolish for me to take part past the point where I'd gotten the super-rares that I needed. Instead I immortalized about 10 crew members that weekend. o:)

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    This is my first Faction Event with the fourth shuttle. I went into it with almost no bonus crew to speak of; just 4/4 Drone Seven of Nine, 3/3 Rifle Janeway, 2/2 Kathryn Janeway, 2/2 Seven in Blue, and 1/1 Ensign Chapel. I didn't even bother thawing Kathryn or Ensign Chapel, and Seven in Blue just happened to already be in my active roster for Tues/Thurs. I took a chance on an event pack Wednesday and got lucky, drawing a Commander Chapel. I was able to finish equipping her in a couple hours, so she was ready to share with my squadron as soon as the event started.

Still, I expected to get trounced by all the players sitting on a full dozen Janeways and Sevens. I've only cracked the top 1000 in any Faction Event to date ("The Second Battle of New York 2"), so I'm accustomed to expecting not to earn the 5* in one. I have no real interest in Temporal Agent Seven, and I already have Rifle Janeway, so there's nothing in the rank rewards this time for me to even play for, really. My initial goal was to just claim the last threshold Commander Chapel to immortalize her and then bail on the event.

However, I've done a lot better than I anticipated. Right now, I'm at #235, and I've been in the low 100's for most of the event. I've got 9:00 shuttles out until morning, so I'll slip some but shouldn't fall out of the top 500 if the first day and a half are any indication. All appearances are that I have a legit chance to end this event by picking up a Leonardo da Vinci. And even though I don't even have a strong interest in him, I can't pass up the novelty of earning a 5* from a Faction Event for just the second time!

That said, I've made plans to go out tomorrow evening with my niece. I'll send out shuttles before I leave, but I'm not going to make any effort to check on the game until I get home later. I enjoy Timelines quite a lot, but spending quality time with my niece matters to me. It's entirely possible I'll be too tired when I get home to even bother checking until sometime Sunday morning. By then, I could easily tumble out of the top 1000 entirely.

If so, that's when I'll bail on this event. Aside from the vanity trophy of Leonardo da Vinci, I'm not in this one for anything I care about, and frankly, I'd rather start running Section 31, Terran Empire, and KCA shuttles in anticipation of the incoming SEC-heavy Mirror crew of the next four weeks.

I haven't gone by the numbers, but I think I've addressed all six of your sub-questions!

Also, one note: I go all out for full Expeditions each and every time. They're the only event format that I find genuinely satisfying to compete in, and I relish those brutal, masochistic weekends. Who the reward crew consists of is not all that important to me, though so far I've been actively interested in most of the ones that have appeared so far. I've recently picked up Age of Sail Crusher in a Legendary Behold!, and while I dig having her, there's a part of me that's disappointed I didn't earn her last year in "Ribbon of Joy".
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    It’s a faction event. The only resource you use up are boosts. If you decide to bail, maybe just send the 80% shuttles.

Also each faction seems to have 10 different shuttle missions. I have picked four I match up well with on Augments. I will keep clicking until I get those four shuttle missions. Make sure you cherry pick which missions you match up well with. I would think the wiki may list these shuttle missions.

Edit : Do not see a listing for event on wiki.Here is my four missions.
    107nb1a0gfrf.png
    vyllsyuk92ho.png
    6i2fd6zrf6n3.png
    qpjs3u2w4rgq.png

• Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    My shuttles are almost identical, except for Da Vinci instead of Klingon Janeway.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it’s all about event crew. I don’t buy them to do better, I play the event to win them. If I want them I go all out. If not, I just go for the thresholds. I like my merits
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would only bail on a galaxy, except that I don't play those for rank. Faction and expedition require mainly time, so I'll play as time permits. For factions, I might stop using higher level boosts, but I don't think I've ever stopped sending event shuttles. Shuttles are sent anyway, and I'll farm the other factions once the event ends.

Galaxies are where this is a big issue. What if you drop thousands of chrons for top 1000 and it doesn't look like you'll make it? Do you cut your losses or double down? I avoid that dilemma by playing for thresholds only, which is tolerable with voyages.
  • Options
    Dralix wrote: »
    I would only bail on a galaxy, except that I don't play those for rank. Faction and expedition require mainly time, so I'll play as time permits. For factions, I might stop using higher level boosts, but I don't think I've ever stopped sending event shuttles. Shuttles are sent anyway, and I'll farm the other factions once the event ends.

If I already have, or don't care about, the rank 4*, I've been known to bail early on Faction Events once I've claimed the threshold 3/4 and begin running shuttles for other factions if I need stuff. If I'm still hopeful of getting at least a 1/4 from the rank rewards, though, I always keep sending shuttles. The % shown during an event is meaningless. I've had 17% successes and 92% failures at times, so I'm never discouraged by that or even a spat of failures.
    Galaxies are where this is a big issue. What if you drop thousands of chrons for top 1000 and it doesn't look like you'll make it? Do you cut your losses or double down? I avoid that dilemma by playing for thresholds only, which is tolerable with voyages.

Between hating the format and so many players sitting on gobs of chronitons, I've conceded Galaxy rankings altogether. I play through the thresholds and then bail, and that's provided I even care about the threshold 4*. Otherwise, I'll craft just enough to qualify for the community rewards and pick up the low hanging fruit.

This upcoming event will be something of a quandary for me, as I want all the Mirror crew I can get! I'll get at least a 1/4 of both crew thanks to the community rewards, but I would certainly like to get two 4/4's if possible. I'll come back to this thread some time this weekend when I reach the point where I start to question whether I'll keep going.
  • Options
    Since Voyages came available I can save up a pile of chrons for galaxy events. So now I'll save up chrons, spend a specific amount of chrons in the event, and keep track of my final rank. This will tell me what I should invest next time to reach a specific rank. Or it will tell me there is no correlation between spent chrons and final rank between different events.
  • Options
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    It’s a faction event. The only resource you use up are boosts. If you decide to bail, maybe just send the 80% shuttles.

Also each faction seems to have 10 different shuttle missions. I have picked four I match up well with on Augments. I will keep clicking until I get those four shuttle missions. Make sure you cherry pick which missions you match up well with. I would think the wiki may list these shuttle missions.

Edit : Do not see a listing for event on wiki.Here is my four missions.
    107nb1a0gfrf.png
    vyllsyuk92ho.png
    6i2fd6zrf6n3.png
    qpjs3u2w4rgq.png

These are the exact same 4 missions that I play too. Some of your crew choices are the same for me!
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    In shuttle events I do whatever I can as long as I can (doesn't cost anything really).

In Galaxy events I stopped going for top 2000 after introduction of voyages, since people pay a lot of chronitons to get there, but equipping crew is more important to me than earning crew I have not enough chronitons to equip.

I never buy any event packs since I don't pay money for the game. It does not make any sense to go for top 1000, since 1/5 in most cases is not worth it in almost all cases. To get 2/5 or better you already have to be a millionaire (top 25 or even top 15). It's not even a question of event crew. Look at the current event. 50th rank has already 500,000 VP. But what is the maximum amount of VP you can possibly make without paying up: You do a jump start and are able to do 124 4000VP missions afterwards as a maximum. Every mission you need skill boosts (it's unrealistic to use time boosts) and thus even with a 100% success rate (good one) you will have more or less exactly 500,000 VP. That's about what rank 50 has now, 6 hours before event ends. But you will never have a 100% success chance.
    I am not sure if it is a good strategy to use only time boosts instead of skill boosts. That way you could do double as many missions and if you can pull off a success rate of 65%+ you could end up with more points than 500,000 (50% success rate is not enough, since you would fall below 4000VP/mission). This is not unrealistic, but you need a really good crew. But think about the amount of 3* time boosts you need. This you can only do with paying up big time on Thursdays for cadet tickets (about 130+ 3* time boosts).

So it's not even worth it to go for top 1000 except when there is a good gauntlet crew to be earned during faction events. The legendary will just block a valuable spot in your crew quarters.

So the only thing that makes sense for me: go for top 1,500 during faction and top threshold during galaxy.

If you have fun throwing your money in the insatiable maw of DB, it makes more sense to buy packs than actually play the event.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction
    I never bail on these events, just keep running shuttles for one of the available factions, as there's bound to be a useful faction in the event for which many of my crew need components.

My problem with Faction events is that I usually have to limit the number of times I send a shuttle on one (or 2) of the event days, this due to spending time with my family etc. So I can't send out new shuttles every 3 hours ... for example, this past event I was running between 1.400-1.600 for until Sunday, when I couldn't resend a second batch of shuttles until very late in the afternoon and only sent 3 batches in total. If I would have timed it right I could have sent out 5 batches easy. I ended up falling just outside 2.000.
    So basically I'll never rank well ... hence my goal is to get all possible thresholds (at least the 5* item).

Galaxy
    I do not pre-farm etc. so my goal here is to use my Thursday to Sat. afternoon chrons as well as possible to get all the threshold rewards in by the time the event switches to phase 2. I'll use a supply kit for best use of chrons.

I do level the crew who will be FF by event's end during Phase 1, using threshold rewards on the way. The 1/4 I'm not bothered about and level at a later date.

At the end of Phase 1 I'll see where I'm at and decide it I want to get the 4* from the final standings. This will be the case if it is existing crew and I can FF with a decent placing (e.g. trying to FF Orion Slaver) ... however, this is often not the case, so I'll just stop after I've obtained all the threshold rewards.

Hybrid
    Faction/Galaxy has become an event type that I do not mind, as it allows me to FF one crew and as Galaxy is more about tapping then about being active on a regular basis it fits in with my personal life better.

Until recently I had better final ranking during these types of events. I'm keen to see how well I'll do for the next one, as my crew base has increased quite a bit in quality.

Expedition
    We never seen these, but I really enjoyed them and they fit in well with my available time to spend on this game, where again I can just play in burst sessions, so basically I just played until I had no runs left. My crew was pretty poor during these types of events, but I did relatively quite well and so got quite some satisfaction out of them.

So in summary ... I play till I have all the threshold rewards ... some event types favour the time I can spend on this game, but I only really continue with expedition style events (fun in my opinion) and faction events (running shuttles anyway).
  • Options
    Galaxy play to get community max and 4/4 event crew if i dont already have. Exception if event crew in my determination is not worth it.

Faction play shuttles to end. Unless, as in daystrom event i see on sundwy morning that i can not reasonsly expect to get near / 1000 postion. Rng on shuttles this event possibly
    my worst. 30 hours left rank 2600 switch to leveling crew for next event.

Exepdition play when i can and see what happens.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before it even starts. It’s all or nothing
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction
    I just keep sending shuttles until the event finishes, I use 9hr boosts overnight and generally rince and repeat. They are tiresome but I figure if I don't want the legendary character its another 550 honour

Galaxy
    I usually quit after the thresholds, they are just too damn annoying with the slow animation and retarded clicking to craft stuff, sometimes I don't even bother with the thresholds, for example if Sato is the event threshold (I already have her FFFE) I will quit once I have Picard 1/5* and do something better with my chronos.

Expedition
    I rattle through the tickets, again I try not to break myself and just do the minimum necessary to either get the 1/5 gold or SR crew FF

Hybrid Faction/Galaxy
    I just do the Faction part, I can usually hit all the thresholds in the shuttle phase and then not worry about crafting stuff.
    DB: Do Better
  • Options

Yeah, this is where I am. If Leo wasn't the first SCI/ENG/MED I would have just taken last week off. But, once committed it's either thresholds, top 1000, or nothing at all.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, this is where I am. If Leo wasn't the first SCI/ENG/MED I would have just taken last week off. But, once committed it's either thresholds, top 1000, or nothing at all.

Exactly. I either want the crew or I don’t. The 5* I should say. The 4* is easy to get fully fused, especially in faction, with minimal coasting effort

• Options
    An interesting read!
    Christopher Nolm. Admiral of red pilled geeks. Take the red pill and join us.
  • Options
    BigstupidgrinBigstupidgrin ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I have an interesting dilemma this week with the Galaxy event. I don't care, at all, about Mirror Reed. But I want to make sure that I get 3x Mirror Jadzia Dax at the end. Right now I'm rank 153, with phase one ending for me. I hope I've spent enough chrons to get it done, but not *too* many.