Home The Bridge
Options

In game comms need immediate attention

Princess_UhuraPrincess_Uhura ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2022 in The Bridge
I am disappointed that this “beta test” of fleet boss battles has not resulted in more attention from wrg to the tremendous problems that exist within the star trek timelines in game chat/messaging/ or otherwise comms.

This past week, i have counted over 30 instances in our fleet alone of wasted valor. We do our best to communicate to the fleet which toons weve tried for various nodes, but when those comms are subject to either not being delivered, not being read due to a lack of notification of the message, or just flat out being lost in the aether, it has become blatantly obvious that without immediate attention and remedy, we are going to lose fleet members.

It is unacceptable to expect players to download unsanctioned third party apps to rely upon for comms. It is unacceptable to expect fleets to force participation in these unsanctioned apps in order to particpate in this game.

The fact that one of your employees is resorting to participating in those unsanctioned apps further demonstrates how broken the in game comms are. If you are not going to fix your in game comms you need to create an OFFICIAL DISCORD CHANNEL and you need to provide tech support within it.

I absolutely sick of the complete disregard of the issues that have been plagueing this game for years. The chat and comms issues MUST BE RESOLVED and thy need to be fixed immediately.

I am suggesting to everyone in my fleet to start sending im tickets for everytime that we are losing valor because in game chats are being lost or otherwise not seen, resulting in wasted attempts to unlock nodes.

I will be reporting upon how well we are treated by the tech support staff.

Comments

• Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it when the censor blocks the name of the crew you need to unlock a node. I was forced to resort to "Baseball Ferengi" to refer to Niners Rom last week. If we ever get the matching Quark and Nog, that's out.
    Only the last ten? lines load on chat when you open the game. If several people are trying multiple crew, you aren't going to get everything you need to catch up when you drop in.
    Sadly, it's not an in-house feature, so they have no direct control over the pain in our butts. I wouldn't mind if they redid chat or changed providers, but who knows when that would happen.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had every intentions of making changes to chat unfortunately it has proven more difficult than the initial estimation suggested. As a result that work cannot be undertaken at this time, we are not happy with the situation either but it cannot be helped.

Support will always do their best to help out with issues, they know very well how frustrating some of those issues can be, especially ones related to FBB.

Likewise I know the censor can be a pain, I tackle issues such as Niners Rom as quickly as I can but we can also not just remove it.

Having an official Discord channel is not something we are going to do.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we get a little insight on HOW the censor works? How do non-censored words suddenly get censored? What are the things it looks for. I can guess several, but having to use "TG Hill" to not get blocked is annoying, especially when we have a couple non-native English speakers. Sometimes the workaround goes over their head or they have to think a bit. I had Rom on my suggestions list fine one day and having to get creative the next. I've seen it censor regular official crew names, a horse breed, and a couple of crazy things I can't remember at the moment, but I thought "Seriously?!?!?!" at the time.
    I know it went crazy while a fleet mate was talking about taking his toddler twins to the Hershey theme park and we could guess what he'd said and it would be really odd that it was censored. Something about a tantrum at the food court and how they had simply swapped the two orders and they were happy or something. ######s everywhere. We basically gave up because it was censoring everything that evening for about two hours.
    Exchanges like "The cat bit me." and "Bad kitty." were getting it. Pop Tart has been a victim once. I remember a guy was hunting them for his sick kid and complaining about how he couldn't find the right ones.
    I'm curious what sets this thing off, because fleet chat fights it and UC is a circus and seems to hardly ever set it off.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we can all guess what word the censor thinks you were hinting at with Dixon. Similarly, what body part a cat might be referencing. Trying to understand context when these words are appropriate and when they're not is hard. I'm not surprised the censor utterly fails at it. But I can also imagine how terrible UC would be without anything.

Personally I'm more bothered by the disappearing messages. I wish it was fixed, but with 0 knowledge on what third party system is being used or why the problems occur, I'm willing to trust Shan that it's too difficult to fix right now. I'd much rather they address all the other bugs in the game than spend time on the in game chat when there are plenty of third party tools available. And most fleets would still use third party tools even with a perfect in game chat, so it's really not going to make a big difference in gameplay.
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this which I saw today. The same character in two nodes in the same combo. Who would have thought to try it? So you would need two fleet mates to try the same character. Ridiculous. Imagine if it were a 5* that not many people had?
    ae57fmyvamgl.png

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this which I saw today. The same character in two nodes in the same combo. Who would have thought to try it? So you would need two fleet mates to try the same character. Ridiculous. Imagine if it were a 5* that not many people had?
    ae57fmyvamgl.png

You only need to use Torres once.

The node selection UI continues to confuse people. You are not trying a card only on a specific node. You are trying the card for all open nodes. Any node that matches the card will be filled. So as long as Injured Torres is on your ship you would get both nodes filled at once(like you did).
  • Options
    Kim_Novak.IIKim_Novak.II ✭✭✭✭
    ae57fmyvamgl.png

Happens quite a bit
  • Options
    I am disappointed that this “beta test” of fleet boss battles has not resulted in more attention from wrg to the tremendous problems that exist within the star trek timelines in game chat/messaging/ or otherwise comms.

This past week, i have counted over 30 instances in our fleet alone of wasted valor. We do our best to communicate to the fleet which toons weve tried for various nodes, but when those comms are subject to either not being delivered, not being read due to a lack of notification of the message, or just flat out being lost in the aether, it has become blatantly obvious that without immediate attention and remedy, we are going to lose fleet members.

It is unacceptable to expect players to download unsanctioned third party apps to rely upon for comms. It is unacceptable to expect fleets to force participation in these unsanctioned apps in order to particpate in this game.

The fact that one of your employees is resorting to participating in those unsanctioned apps further demonstrates how broken the in game comms are. If you are not going to fix your in game comms you need to create an OFFICIAL DISCORD CHANNEL and you need to provide tech support within it.

I absolutely sick of the complete disregard of the issues that have been plagueing this game for years. The chat and comms issues MUST BE RESOLVED and thy need to be fixed immediately.

I am suggesting to everyone in my fleet to start sending im tickets for everytime that we are losing valor because in game chats are being lost or otherwise not seen, resulting in wasted attempts to unlock nodes.

Um, why don't you just create a discord for your fleet? Or any other similar app?

It's not limited to the game & you can have fun plus it's bonding

And it will help your fleet grow stronger - not just in FBB - I pretty much guarantee
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    We had every intentions of making changes to chat unfortunately it has proven more difficult than the initial estimation suggested. As a result that work cannot be undertaken at this time, we are not happy with the situation either but it cannot be helped.

Support will always do their best to help out with issues, they know very well how frustrating some of those issues can be, especially ones related to FBB.

Likewise I know the censor can be a pain, I tackle issues such as Niners Rom as quickly as I can but we can also not just remove it.

Well, then. How about relaxing the rules {whatever they are} that say the Fleets are not supposed to work together somewhere else to coordinate? What exactly even is the rule that we cannot have like a Discord or Whatsapp or Line or something to work out what we cannot work out in-game?

I keep seeing people post that it is "against the rules" to have some other form of communication. But, what exactly is that rule? Are people misinterpreting something? Or is it literally a game violation for a Fleet to be able to work together on something that is about a Fleet working together?

Just asking. Not being mean. I am literally, honestly confused.

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    ae57fmyvamgl.png

Her and the 1* version have BOTH hit this week for us. Not in Two Nodes on the same Chain but I used the 1* one UNM Battle and someone else used the 2* the next UNM. She has a few good Traits combos on both.

• Options

Um, why don't you just create a discord for your fleet? Or any other similar app?

And it will help your fleet grow stronger - not just in FBB - I pretty much guarantee

So we CAN do a Discord or similar? I'm s confused by all this.
  • Options

So we CAN do a Discord or similar? I'm s confused by all this.

If it is against the rules, then well, I don't even wanna guess the number of players that are gonna be punished 😂

Where does it say we can't have a social platform to discuss the game, talk the show, & general chat?
    This is all new to me
  • Options
    Princess_UhuraPrincess_Uhura ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

This is disappointing.

Fleet boss battles relies heavily on fleet communication, which is impossible to efficiently execute with the in game comms. Its a serious deficiency and it sounds likt there will be no efforts to remedy this, ever.

Im a bit offended at the reliance upon non sanctioned tools, that wrg will not recommend, endorse, or support, but seemingly EXPECTS for the players to use them in order to play the game.

Its an extremely short sighted approach, and this is not directed at you shan, but its simply disrespectful to the players and basically further highlights that the current agenda revolves around extracting as much money out of players as possible, while continuing to make cuts on investment into the basic enjoyment and functionality of the game.

Yes, as some have recommended, we do use discord. But for fleets that are not in that upper atmosphere and composed entirely of game addicts and whales who spend their days glued to discord and stt, we are just getting by. Our fleet is strong, but has casual players and We have about 5 regular participants in discord and it seems extremely innapropriare to force all other people to download and participate in an app that is not endorsed, recommended or supported by wrg. Besides, the time it takes to exit the game, open discord, review and reply to fbb messages, go back to the game, set up your crew STILL at times results in wasted valor due to simultaneous duplicative efforts by other members of the fleet. Amazing that the forum people still find a way to be happy that the in game comms and overall fbb functionality is incredibly broken.smh.

For the rest of the fleet, i guess the statement from wrg is “we are not fixing the in game comms, so you can take your chances sending support tickets when our broken game results in wasted valor and frustration for you. Thanks for playing”
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ben made a tongue in cheek comment about DataCore or Big Book referring to them as unsanctioned tools. Most people understood what he meant and ran with the joke. But apparently some people missed the sarcasm in writing and started to think any chat tool outside of the game was not allowed.
  • Options
    I am not sure where the notion that Discord was not allowed came to be.
    It's a simple communication tool, there is nothing to endorse or not.

From people CONSTANTLY saying that we cannot use ANY "third party" apps to do better in the game. And, discussing the FBB on Discord seems like a good way to "do better" doing the FBB, since in-game Comms is not covering it and apparently making in-game Comms work to do so is beyond what can be effectively done right now. So, hearing that we can use a group chat App that does work is a good thing!

• Options
    People are confusing “unsanctioned” with “not allowed”.

Definition of unsanctioned
    : lacking effective or authoritative approval or consent :

Wrg is not giving official approval or consent of the use of anything other than STT.

My issue, is that discord, or other third party chat clients are Essentially required in order to play the game, especially with regard to fbb.

This is laziness on the part of the devs. And, essentially a way to hide from any potential liabilities associated with the use of those apps.

Its a serious deficiency of the game, and a shoddy business practice.
  • Options

Yes, as some have recommended, we do use discord. But for fleets that are not in that upper atmosphere and composed entirely of game addicts and whales who spend their days glued to discord and stt, we are just getting by. Our fleet is strong, but has casual players and We have about 5 regular participants in discord and it seems extremely innapropriare to force all other people to download and participate in an app that is not endorsed, recommended or supported by wrg. Besides, the time it takes to exit the game, open discord, review and reply to fbb messages, go back to the game, set up your crew STILL at times results in wasted valor due to simultaneous duplicative efforts by other members of the fleet. Amazing that the forum people still find a way to be happy that the in game comms and overall fbb functionality is incredibly broken.smh.

For the rest of the fleet, i guess the statement from wrg is “we are not fixing the in game comms, so you can take your chances sending support tickets when our broken game results in wasted valor and frustration for you. Thanks for playing”

1: I don't know where you get this idea that Discord is addictive. I certainly am not. I would out money that these forums are more addictive

2: You will save valor as you can say you are going after that certain node & multiple people will not go all at once. Depending on if you are on a PC or phone/tablet, it will take seconds to switch from one to the other as you can have both open

But it's obvious you are intent on not using it, & probably talking the rest of your fleet out of it even if some of your crew do want it

The Big book of advice & datacore are both "unsanctioned" but how many people use those?
    Have you ever used them? 🤨🤔
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrg is not giving official approval or consent of the use of anything other than STT.

My issue, is that discord, or other third party chat clients are Essentially required in order to play the game, especially with regard to fbb.

This is laziness on the part of the devs. And, essentially a way to hide from any potential liabilities associated with the use of those apps.

It's a chat app. If you want to one, use one. If you don't, don't. The game doesn't need to give you permission to use a different app outside the game. This has nothing to do with liability or business practices. And there is no need to attempt to create a scandal over chat.

This is the equivalent of saying a grocery store needs to give you permission to drive a Ford vs a Honda. Drive to/from the store however you want. If you prefer to walk or take public transit, that's your business too. The grocery store is not hiding from liability by not officially saying you can bike to the store.
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »

It's a chat app. If you want to one, use one. If you don't, don't. The game doesn't need to give you permission to use a different app outside the game. This has nothing to do with liability or business practices. And there is no need to attempt to create a scandal over chat.

This is the equivalent of saying a grocery store needs to give you permission to drive a Ford vs a Honda. Drive to/from the store however you want. If you prefer to walk or take public transit, that's your business too. The grocery store is not hiding from liability by not officially saying you can bike to the store.

There is no reason to be upset at me for pointing out that the game has tremendous problems, as does your analogy.

Playing the game as is, without any “non sanctioned tools, apps etc” will, not “can”, but WILL result in lost valor as the in game comms are not effective or reliable in allowing for in fleet coordination. That is indisputable.

Now, your analogy about hondas, fords and public transit has no bearing what so ever on whether or not the goods that are available in the grocery store are a waste of money. As such, your argument is invalid from a logistical perspective, but thank you for the comment and thank you for trying to turn everyone against me for pointing out some serious issues with this game.

• Options

1: I don't know where you get this idea that Discord is addictive. I certainly am not. I would out money that these forums are more addictive

2: You will save valor as you can say you are going after that certain node & multiple people will not go all at once. Depending on if you are on a PC or phone/tablet, it will take seconds to switch from one to the other as you can have both open

But it's obvious you are intent on not using it, & probably talking the rest of your fleet out of it even if some of your crew do want it

The Big book of advice & datacore are both "unsanctioned" but how many people use those?

You are missing the point. Im saying that a fleet of people who are addicted to the game and discord are going to obviously spend more time glued to those items.

Your second point relies upon, not only the players having those resources/apps/tools, but also spending more time navigating between them. And it will STILL result in wasted valor because unless you have discord on one screen and stt on the other, you are going to miss real time comms when playing the game.

I use discord. As stated. However, if wrg is not going to “sanction” the use of these third party apps, why should it be on me to force my fleet members to download them and use them?

Are you implying that the big book is required in order to play this game? Because at present, to not waste valor and potentially fail at beating bosses, third party comms ARE essential to play fbb.

Thats the difference.

But you are all trying to make this me against you. Thats not the case.

Its me against shoddy business practices, slighted responsibilities, and corporate greed.
  • Options
    To get back on track i want to propose a solution.

If chat/comms “can’t” be fixed, please work to develop the node matching menus by REMOVING or LOCKING crew that have already been tried in combo chains.

That, would be the bare minimum you could do. And if you can “lock” crew that are assigned to shuttles or voyages, you can “lock” crew that have already been tried.

Please seriously consider this, because the valor that is being wasted is not inconsequential. Its significant.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

While this comment was done with very good intentions, we should all strive to avoid suggestions that might make someone uncomfortable. Let's avoid references to healthcare suggestions :) ~Shan
  • Options

You are missing the point. Im saying that a fleet of people who are addicted to the game and discord are going to obviously spend more time glued to those items.

Your second point relies upon, not only the players having those resources/apps/tools, but also spending more time navigating between them. And it will STILL result in wasted valor because unless you have discord on one screen and stt on the other, you are going to miss real time comms when playing the game.

I use discord. As stated. However, if wrg is not going to “sanction” the use of these third party apps, why should it be on me to force my fleet members to download them and use them?

Are you implying that the big book is required in order to play this game? Because at present, to not waste valor and potentially fail at beating bosses, third party comms ARE essential to play fbb.

Thats the difference.

Its me against shoddy business practices, slighted responsibilities, and corporate greed.

Again, there is hardly no time between navigating between discord & the game. Mark that you are going for that node. & you will at least slightly cut down on wasted valor

Big book is a website & are you implying that it is not helpful?
    Datacore will help you with voyages, events.
    You can link it to your discord if you dare to use it & it will help you with beholds

So no, I am not implying that they are required. I am saying that if you want to get help & further in the game, you would be wise to use datacore

How is Discord greed? Isn't it the other way around as WRG are not creating one & charging to use it?

I won't be replying anymore
    It's getting to the stage where I feel like you create these threads just for argument's sake. Nearly everytime, there is an obvious answer that only you disagree with

I wish you all the best 👍👍
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭

If chat/comms “can’t” be fixed, please work to develop the node matching menus by REMOVING or LOCKING crew that have already been tried in combo chains.

That, would be the bare minimum you could do. And if you can “lock” crew that are assigned to shuttles or voyages, you can “lock” crew that have already been tried.

Please seriously consider this, because the valor that is being wasted is not inconsequential. Its significant.

Locking crew as you suggest is not as easy as you make it to be, it is not comparable to crew in Voyage or shuttle (that is a bug btw they should still show in crew select for FBB).

Crew in a voyage or in a shuttle have a specific "state" that can be used - the same is not true for a crew that would be used in a space battle for FBB.

• Options

Locking crew as you suggest is not as easy as you make it to be, it is not comparable to crew in Voyage or shuttle (that is a bug btw they should still show in crew select for FBB).

Crew in a voyage or in a shuttle have a specific "state" that can be used - the same is not true for a crew that would be used in a space battle for FBB.

So, im not trying to say it would be easy. Im trying to offer a solution since fixing comms is too difficult “at this time”

Is wrg opposed to putting ANY effort into resolving this? Because this truly is a big issue. And while i recognize it is in weg’s interest of selling additional valor to NOT address this issue, im going to suggest to you that the frustration that is being caused is not inconsequential.
  • Options

Thats the difference.

Again, there is hardly no time between navigating between discord & the game. Mark that you are going for that node. & you will at least slightly cut down on wasted valor

I often find that, as soon as I select any app other than Timelines, my phone drops Timelines out of its memory. I have to re-load Timelines from the login screen. My phone is neither new nor especially old; it has 2GB of RAM.

Is this not other people's experience? If most people can load up Discord and then come right back to Timelines, I'll spend effort looking into the issue. I didn't realize until now that it was weird.
  • Options
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    I'd rather live with all of these issue and have WRG find a way for small fleets to be able to proceed in FBB. None of these are show stoppers like it is for a small fleet. They are annoying but can be dealt with.

I dont disagree with your point.

Unfortunately, we have to live with all of these issues though.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

They show, but are locked, just like the Voyage/Shuttle Crew. Still cannot be selected.
This discussion has been closed.