Home The Bridge

Event Discussion - Skirmish/Galaxy Event Notes: Straight on Til Morning - 2023-03-16

Comments

• WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    For a second run through an event, perhaps doubling the final community award to be 2x 10x premium packs would help entice players to engage enough to help the newer players reach that achievement? The value of those packs has significantly diminished over the years thanks to the sheer number of crew in the pool, while holding very little value for long-term players that are likely only in search of a bunch of 5* crew.
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    To quote the Hunt for Red October: This one's going to be close! :s
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1470 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    For a second run through an event, perhaps adding a 2nd 10x premium pack as the the final community award would help entice players to engage enough to help the newer players reach that achievement? The value of those packs has significantly diminished over the years thank to the sheer number of crew in the pool, while holding very little value for long-term players that are likely only in search of a bunch of 5* crew.

No individual player is playing for the community reward. Certainly not a 10x pull that will likely just be honor. If they want higher scores they need to provide more of an individual reason to push further. And also not do skirmish/galaxy hybrids where it's easy for players to clear threshold in the skirmish half.
  • -:- AZ689-:- AZ689 ✭✭✭
    40M and 8min to go

I bet: no
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    For a second run through an event, perhaps adding a 2nd 10x premium pack as the the final community award would help entice players to engage enough to help the newer players reach that achievement? The value of those packs has significantly diminished over the years thank to the sheer number of crew in the pool, while holding very little value for long-term players that are likely only in search of a bunch of 5* crew.

No individual player is playing for the community reward. Certainly not a 10x pull that will likely just be honor. If they want higher scores they need to provide more of an individual reason to push further. And also not do skirmish/galaxy hybrids where it's easy for players to clear threshold in the skirmish half.

Oh I know, I was just grasping at straws... though a big enough carrot might get me to craft at least a couple recipes, just to say I helped.
  • Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

Thresholds with good rewards (we’re talking cites, dil, and things like that) well past 1 million points would do it.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    4wfegvpbqb90.jpg
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    975.3M

Closer than I expected a few hours ago.
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    4wfegvpbqb90.jpg

25 million short, the exact amount Marge Simpson's marshmallow squares bring in...
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1470 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • AvatruneiAvatrunei ✭✭✭
    The end is nigh! The end is nigh!² We're all dying!³ :ugly:
  • So the Community Rewards failed to complete .. again.
  • Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the Community Rewards failed to complete .. again.

This is the first time in over a year that they failed to be completed.
  • AvatruneiAvatrunei ✭✭✭
    So the Community Rewards failed to complete .. again.
    The last time was eons ago in an obscure Convergence Day event. I can't remember of any other events, since I always play every event.
  • Disappointing but not surprising - getting that portal pull most likely would have resulted in more honor for the players who decided to skip this part of the event..maybe they got their extra honor during the skirmishes. I was in the 2000s halfway through and didn’t drop much after that, in fact I was able to gain a little this morning as opposed to previous galaxy phase events where I had to keep spending chrons to keep pace.
  • AvatruneiAvatrunei ✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    I don’t want to go full doom
    Me neither. Unless we can't hit anymore the M600 for a brand-new super rare crew.
    Skirmish/Galaxy is probably a bad idea in general especially if it’s a repeat.
    It doesn't matter. Why should I clear threshold rewards in the most tiresome phase, when I can get all rewards easily in the skirmish phase? Seriously, I have so much crew, that I don't need to change them on traits basis. All are only event crew, and I don't change them at all. Very comfortable.
    Galaxy/Skirmish might be a bit better.
    It doesn't matter how around it goes. Why playing tediously, if I can avoid it? And save all the chronitons? I would only do it, if I hadn't the time on a specific day. But this comes, Gods be praised, very rarely.
  • Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    Me neither. Unless we can't hit anymore the M600 for a brand-new super rare crew.
    It doesn't matter. Why should I clear threshold rewards in the most tiresome phase, when I can get all rewards easily in the skirmish phase? Seriously, I have so much crew, that I don't need to change them on traits basis. All are only event crew, and I don't change them at all. Very comfortable.
    It doesn't matter how around it goes. Why playing tediously, if I can avoid it? And save all the chronitons? I would only do it, if I hadn't the time on a specific day. But this comes, Gods be praised, very rarely.

I believe the thinking for the order of galaxy/skirmish being better, is that one doesn’t know what the final scores will be and will thus be inclined to push harder during the galaxy phase. When the skirmish comes over the weekend, the overall scores would likely be higher than when the galaxy phase comes first.

For those that have the threshold crew, they may also be more inclined to play the galaxy phase to get that crew (less likely for a rerun, but still possible).
  • I love this game. I don't even hate galaxies all that much, but after a two months that were largely galaxy events or galaxy hybrid events with crew that I wanted, I am SUUUUUUPPPPEEER burned out on galaxy events. Really excited for next weeks pure skirmish and for the temporal cold war in a few weeks.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Navarch wrote: »
    Avatrunei wrote: »

I believe the thinking for the order of galaxy/skirmish being better, is that one doesn’t know what the final scores will be and will thus be inclined to push harder during the galaxy phase. When the skirmish comes over the weekend, the overall scores would likely be higher than when the galaxy phase comes first.

For those that have the threshold crew, they may also be more inclined to play the galaxy phase to get that crew (less likely for a rerun, but still possible).

My guess is there are more players that don't think about minmaxing events. They play the phases as they come. if a galaxy phase is first they will play the galaxy phase. If they clear thresholds in galaxy they may stop during skirmish. If they don't, they'll finish or play however far they play in skirmish. There will be comparatively fewer players who skip galaxy phase one with the intention of trying clear all of threshold in the second skirmish phase.

But the other big difference this event is the reward. Even with their voyage rank, Angel just wasn't a compelling reward in an otherwise repeat event. To fall 25m short, that's roughly 50 players deciding to threshold and out rather than compete for the 5* crew. If this wasn't a repeat or if Angel was a better reward they would have tried to rank and carried the score over the mark.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I withdraw my earlier comment....there is so little movement in the top 50 and with those of us outside the US, we get 1 less hr..... do not think we can 1.5M per minute to get the community pull

I did not expect to stay in the top 750 to get two copies. But, I think I dropped less than ten places in the final two hours.

m9dwsm12q95t.png
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • BeefywillowBeefywillow ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    The following is not a criticism, just a remark / question. why did the event start and stop times change to 1 hour earlier. The times in UTC seem to be mostly correct. How is it that noon saturdat is 17:00 UTC while noon monday is 16:00 ? These times used to be 17:00 UTC.
  • A1llas wrote: »
    The following is not a criticism, just a remark / question. why did the event start and stop times change to 1 hour earlier. The times in UTC seem to be mostly correct. How is it that noon saturdat is 17:00 UTC while noon monday is 16:00 ? These times used to be 17:00 UTC.

Hey, we changed the start and end times of the event in the forum announcement, but we forgot about phase 1. Due to the time change in the United States, we were correcting various posts.
    We recommend reading this article, which includes all hour variations for each event:

https://startrektimelines.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/9693579557271-How-does-Daylight-Saving-Time-DST-affect-Star-Trek-Timelines-
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if it wasn't something bigger than disinterest in the galaxy format of a rerun hybrid. It is entirely anecdotal, but if my fleet's anything to go by, interest in the game altogether took a nosedive over the weekend. We generally finish in the 62-68% range of damage in FBB. One ended with 50-something; another, a scant 27%. The honor sale didn't elicit any chatter about excitedly drawing a crew member someone had been wanting or getting a much-needed star for someone they had. Only a few remarks that one of us had picked up one of the crew who keep coming up in FBB chains that hold us up. Those felt like obligatory team memos more than expressions of players having any excitement.
  • AvatruneiAvatrunei ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it wasn't something bigger than disinterest in the galaxy format of a rerun hybrid.
    I would say Super Bowl, but the international arrest warrant for Putin struck people apparently so hard, that they're wondering whether New York's sheriffs will visit Trump in the aftermath. Could be true, but we'll never know...
  • Avatrunei wrote: »
    I wonder if it wasn't something bigger than disinterest in the galaxy format of a rerun hybrid.
    international arrest warrant for Putin...

Now that’s a huge rabbit hole. Not excited to see the aftermath of trying to get him
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    25M is a lot closer than I expected given how it looked earlier in the morning when i cashed in my rares. I did my part though: ~2.6M total (2.0M in skirmish, 600K in galaxy), rank 88. Get with it people! (Just kidding ;) )

Honestly, I expected this event to be less competitive than usual, so I targeted top 100 intentionally which then required me to do the extra tappings. Had I been "safer" after skirmish, I wouldn't have done as much. Wish we could have pulled it out for the premium portal, but 'twas not to be.
  • imdwalrusimdwalrus ✭✭✭
    If the 5* crew is a character whom I know nothing about

That "obscure" character was probably the single most memorable guest star from the first season of Strange New Worlds, with ties to a major legacy character and who is already confirmed by the showrunner to appear again in future episodes. They also got a ton of positive press when that episode released, both for the fun character and performance and Jesse James Keitel's real life story.

If you aren't familiar with them, that's on you, not the game.
  • Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    ADVICE: if you are running a Skirmish/Galaxy event during an Honor Sale, make the 1,000,000,000 Community Reward a flat 10,000 Honor rather than a 10x pack.

I’ll go a step further and say that one or more thresholds should be added for events during honor sales giving away honor.