Home The Bridge
Options

Super Rare Items in the Galaxy Event.....

DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in The Bridge
Did someone say the other day that we should not turn in our Super RARE Items for Points until the Second Phase starts? {Whatever they are called. I mean like the Emitters we got last week during the Galaxy Event.}

Scott

EDIT: Forgot the "RARE" part.
Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?

Comments

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you will get a bit more VP if you wait to turn them in until the beginning of the 2nd phase.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you get at leave 1 VP in phase 1 or you won't get the community rewards. That can be building a single recipe, doesn't have to be turning in the rare rewards.
  • Options
    Amphistaff wrote: »
    Make sure you get at leave 1 VP in phase 1 or you won't get the community rewards. That can be building a single recipe, doesn't have to be turning in the rare rewards.

I will be doing the regular crafting all along. But, someone in a thread when we were talking about Galaxy Events said it is better to do the Rare Rewards in Phase Two?

Scott

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Yes, you will get a bit more VP if you wait to turn them in until the beginning of the 2nd phase.

Thanx.

Scott

• Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose this means that the Super Rare item remains the same in both Phases. Is that correct?
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    I suppose this means that the Super Rare item remains the same in both Phases. Is that correct?

Yes. Like last week, it was the Mobile Emitters, since the ship being helped had a Holographic Crew.

Scott

• Options
    I’m Skeptical about that strategy I keep hearing about. If I cash in those items as soon as I can, that means I’m going to fully fuse an event character way sooner and get more points faster because of it.
  • Options

unless DB decides to reset your progress mid-phase 2 like last time.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m Skeptical about that strategy I keep hearing about. If I cash in those items as soon as I can, that means I’m going to fully fuse an event character way sooner and get more points faster because of it.

There is that. It's a fact that the VP will be greater when waiting to turn them in, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best option for you.

• Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends a bit on your end goal. If you just want to clear the thresholds as fast as possible (which is what I do) then you should cash in immediately. If you're looking to rank highly, it's generally better to cash them in later (in the last hour or so of the event).

A hybrid approach could work as well, cash in immediately until you get all the copies of the event crew and then start hoarding them. Check out the Event Scoring section of the wiki for the table on VP amounts. You'll notice that in Phase 2 the VP amount you get for each turn in starts higher and increases much more per level than Phase 1.
  • Options

With even the slightest preparation you should have the event character FF as soon as the community reward is available. You could always level the card at 3/4 assuming you have some chrons spare.
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam
  • Options

Yeah, it depends on your goal and what you have going into the event. I would say that its a strategy that works when shooting for an ambitious rank. Last Galaxy event I had two event characters FE (1/5 Dax, 4/4 Worf) by Wednesday evening and brought over about 500 items to phase two. Took the last 36 hours off and finished at 101.

Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Options

A bit is right.. say that you earned 100 ultra rares in phase 1 and 88 in phase 2...
    not uncommon, since you typically have materials stored up to start and bonus chrons in the rewards,

if you turned in:
    100 in phase 1.. = 41975 VP
    88 in phase 2... = 48585VP with 0 left over.

total 90560 VP

if you turned in all 188 in phase 2...= 92275
    with 4 left over and would need another 8 more to make another set for 6250VP more....

so is that worth it?

the price is also that you don't progress the rewards earlier in phase 2 to FF/FE that character, which could net you MORE ultra rares by having them higher earlier... so you could NET worse by waiting, by having to burn more chrons to get fewer net ultra rares....

so... you decide.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

A bit is right.. say that you earned 100 ultra rares in phase 1 and 88 in phase 2...
    not uncommon, since you typically have materials stored up to start and bonus chrons in the rewards,

if you turned in:
    100 in phase 1.. = 41975 VP
    88 in phase 2... = 48585VP with 0 left over.

total 90560 VP

if you turned in all 188 in phase 2...= 92275
    with 4 left over and would need another 8 more to make another set for 6250VP more....

I'm not sure about the numbers any more, since I think they altered things slightly in the latest Galaxy, but you're right, it's not a massive difference. Here's a quote from the old forums:

Speaking strictly of turning in the super-rares (and based on numbers I found on the Wiki) it is better to wait and turn them in in phase 2, though the benefit isn’t exactly huge.

In phase one, if you do 22 turn-in’s you will need a total of 121 super-rares and you will earn 35825 VP.

In phase two (using the same 121 super rares) you would only do 12 turn-in’s, but your total VP would be 37035.

Again, those number may no longer be completely accurate, but even if it's only a few thousand VP difference for a similar amount of rewards, that's plenty good enough for me. As you say, however, it's up to every player to decide if it's enough for them.

• Options
    If your goal is to complete threshold and then peace out. Turn in as they come during Phase 1.

For those going for rank rewards. You save the super Rares to avoid building up VP from turn-ins twice. Also the boost will give you a better baseline for what you need in order to rank as desired.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it’s a hybrid it’s a moot point
  • Options
    If your goal is to complete threshold and then peace out. Turn in as they come during Phase 1.

For those going for rank rewards. You save the super Rares to avoid building up VP from turn-ins twice. Also the boost will give you a better baseline for what you need in order to rank as desired.

The point is there is VERY LITTLE "build up" from doing super rare turn ins both in phase 1 vs phase 2. This is "counter intuitive" because you do ramp up.. but in phase 1 you use "less per set" in the beginning, thus more "sets turned in".. and the big message is that the VPs aren't very much difference if you do "both" phase 1 and phase 2 or just phase 2

In Orions' Belt they changed the values, but in Passing the torch, and Fast as light they went back to the original VP values.

lf1ln559h15z.png
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Interesting as that does not seem to jive with the totals on the wiki.

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Galaxy_Event

196 60400 - Phase 1 turn in

154 81525 - Phase 2 turn in.

Unless did both phases end up with the 6250 top?
  • Options
    If it’s a hybrid it’s a moot point

Pretty sure the Event Notes said "Galaxy Event".....

Scot

• Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Interesting as that does not seem to jive with the totals on the wiki.

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Galaxy_Event

196 60400 - Phase 1 turn in

154 81525 - Phase 2 turn in.

Unless did both phases end up with the 6250 top?

Thanks Pallidyne, you are correct, i mistakenly copied my tables from Orions' belt event

Below is the "normal" progression.

using similar numbers.... for a "normal galaxy"

if you turned in:
    103 in phase 1.. = 29925 VP
    93 in phase 2... = 25605 VP with 2 left over.

total 55530 VP

if you turned in all 196 in phase 2...= 60025

so a difference of 4495 vp
    but if you used them in phase 1, and advanced the featured crew, would you have earned more as you advanced, and netted more total?
    if by doing that you earned 7 more... not unreasonable by having a featured crew sooner with higher percentages...... you would get one more set in phase 2... for 2950... so the difference would drop to just 1545...

The big message is that yes, there is a small advantage, but it isn't the "huge" advantage from ramping up "twice" that is perceived.

wphht4wndduq.png
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    So phase 2 topped out at 4850 this past galaxy not 6250?
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    So phase 2 topped out at 4850 this past galaxy not 6250?

correct, that 6250 was for Contingency Plan, The Whole Truth, Orion Belt only so far.
  • Options
    Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I think the reason people suggest waiting until phase 2 is because it lets them get ahead in phase 1 and makes it harder for the phase 2 waiters to catch up. :p

For galaxy events, I'm a phase1 player. I hit all the threshold rewards early in phase 1 and then enjoy the rest of my weekend and spend my chronitons on leveling crew.
  • Options
    Fun thought, but it's way better to save 'em all 'til the last few minutes of the event and leap up the leaderboard, surprising everyone and stealing their place :naughty:
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam
  • Options
    Where is the comparison for turning in as you go where you jump back down the VP ladder when phase 2 starts?

If you earn 512 rare rewards, 250 in each phase what total score do you end up vs someone that only turns in in phase 2. (People who only turn in in phase 1 aren't really a concern for rank rewards.)
  • Options
    [ISA] Raven[ISA] Raven ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    so for 512.... evenly split..

256 in phase 1 would give you 33 sets... for a total of 79800 VP
    256 in phase 2 would give you 28 sets for a total of 79450 VP
    for a total of 159250 VP

512 all in phase 2 would give you 45 sets for a total of 161875 VP(1 ultra rare left over)

so in this EXTREME case... you would get a grand total of 2625 more VP by trading in phase 2

• Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    The equalizer here though, is that you fuse the threshold event crew faster if you're using those items in phase 1. I used to exclusively do the phase 2 trick, but lately I've been power-leveling the threshold 4*, and it nets me additional super-rare item drops if I can push all the way up quickly to FF them. It's probably a wash overall, when you take into account the drops you wouldn't have gotten if you were just using a 1 or 2/4* event crew (or just a bonus crew).
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magisse wrote: »
    The equalizer here though, is that you fuse the threshold event crew faster if you're using those items in phase 1. I used to exclusively do the phase 2 trick, but lately I've been power-leveling the threshold 4*, and it nets me additional super-rare item drops if I can push all the way up quickly to FF them. It's probably a wash overall, when you take into account the drops you wouldn't have gotten if you were just using a 1 or 2/4* event crew (or just a bonus crew).

That was my experience with Klingon O'Brien. Drops went way up with him, though it depends on matching traits with recipes.
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Worth adding that once I hit the last threshold, I then *stop* cashing-in the super-rares, and save the rest for phase 2. Usually I can get up to the top threshold without reaching the top-tier exchange rate, so continuing to deposit at that point becomes a waste.
  • Options
    Just to mention this, if you’re saving all your VP until Phase 2 then you are not contributing anything to the community rewards. For a few extra points. Which kind of **tsk tsk**.