Home Engineering Room
Options

Fleet Boss Battle - Clarification on "Combo Effects"

edited June 2023 in Engineering Room
Hello @WRG Ben @STT Community

I would like to point you towards a functionality on the Fleet Boss Battles and that it is not very user friendly to understand or "see" the upcoming results (bad UI - non informative and clear)

I am not aware of documentation on the boss battles BUFFS! What do they really do for the battle / player? It would be great, to point fleet members to official info. Sadly it is not mentioned in detail on the Games Wiki or especially "Online Game Handbook" on Tilting Point / WRG Zendesk.

I am talking about the unlocked combo effects after successfully unlocked a full row of solved nodes in FBB.

The CE (combo effect) is roughly mentioned in the FAQ / Intro to Fleet Boss Battles on the games Zendesk with just one sentence. Nothing more:

Fleet Boss Battle: Combo Chain and Nodes on the official games ZenDesk

Quote:
Combo effect - an icon symbolizing the effect and description of the combo buff that will be granted once all nodes have been unlocked.

However - when in in the game in that section, it is not very clear, what PERMANENT Boni for the running FBB applies , unless you look into the details by clicking into "Reroll".

Seasoned players know the way around it, but it is very difficult to explain the functionality of nodes and the benefit of participation in that social aspect of the game to other captains in the fleet.

As a longstanding Fleet since the launch of the game - having had part in discovery the hidden Easter egg with the "virtual lense game", over 150 captains at some point - now sadly down to roughly 45 loyal daily players - we thought we know how the game works. Now i get more and more questions and only 60% of all captains in our fleet TLA - The Liberal Alliance is participating daily in FBB (which i think is a pity ... but builds, node solving, seeing why "wasting valor to solve nodes for the fleet instead of dealing maximum damage and getting the maximum rewards on Magnesit for playing egoistic as a single) dampens a tiny bit the fun of FBB as a fleet.

That said: the unlockable long term rewards (exclusive toons and other stuff) is great and a motivator.

Enough of the long introduction - here some details and suggestions for a solution

When in FBB, we only see an icon of the expected Boni to be applied. (Red circled) This icon is NOT clickable unless unlocked.

zjcphduegsij.jpg

Only when unlocked, players can manually click on the "REROLL Boni" option (for a payment in Dilithium) to see, what it means (in this case with the Shield) "Boss Ship Attack". (Green cycled)

In this example the next unlockable boni is a "torpedo attack"??? icon, which again has no way of accessing what it is / means or which boni it grants.

hk6hfkt8e9r0.jpg

There are (i think) five different boni which could be randomly applied to an FBB. Those are

Ship Critical Damage (Beam Weapon goes through enemy shield)
6e0qkfkkpx4y.png

Action Cooldown (faster cooldown time on skills)
qlwiak88ts2h.png

Reflection Boni (armor plates icon)
qwhab6efwrii.png

Boss Attack (medivial blocking shield)
tgztrjh5wmzi.png

All above are kind of easy to understand, with the exception of the Boss Attack shield.

Did we unlock a 2x double Boss attack? Does it mean, the BOSS has more damage in attacking us? Are we getting more armor? Is our armor recuded? Is the Boss armor reduced by 2x? Also in this example MINUS 18% - does it mean, our ship armour is reduced (that would be not a bonus but a malus) is the boss shields reduced (but the boss doesnt have any shielding) and armor (plating) has another icon ... all very confusing.

aar7xpbwvuk5.png

Suggestion for better, self explanatory UserInterface (UI)

- Add the text (parsing from the details page) on the main overview - (even very limited, like: [icon] x% Action cooldown; -16% Boss ship attack; +x% crit damage; ... so players have the option to see what they are fighting for

- Keep the permanent damage constantly shown in numbers active (just with a line break below the row. There seem to be plenty of hight remaining on the menu without breaking the layout - even tiny writing will be enough as its just info and no interactivity / button required)

- Applying those enhancements in the UI might also enhance Dilithium Spending for rerolls, if one sees that one receives only "-4% Boss Ship Attack" but could modify it up to -20% Boss Ship Attack" by rerolling the "virtual random dice" for amount x of Dilithium. (taking above example).

Why should a change be applied in the future:
- better understanding of boni in FBB for players
- incentive for fleets in this social game part to maybe help the fleet defeating the boss by rerolling an existing boni
- clarification on ZenDesk Game FAQ Boss Battle about boni
- it is quoted as that on the Zendesk Online Game handbook as
an icon symbolizing the effect and description of the combo buff that will be granted once all nodes have been unlocked.

Thank you for consideration

~Khaz

Looking for a fine fleet? With the game having reached the age of a small child, players went and newly joined. We are an active fleet and are also connected in friendship with Klingons. Grab your daily starbase donations. Get your daily Fleet Boss Battles rewards guaranteed? Chat about Trek? Want more than just the game? Consider joining [TLA] "The Liberal Alliance"Contact me in-game [TLA] Khazaan or even better on the LINE app, handle also "khazaan".

Comments

• Options
    We'll said and much needed
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the re-roll an individual thing and not for the whole fleet?
  • Options
    Isn't the re-roll an individual thing and not for the whole fleet?

Excellent question. I presumed, its for the fleet. Individual captains can spend dil FOR the fleet to change the permanent boni. Or not? Another thing to be clarified by @WRG Ben
    Looking for a fine fleet? With the game having reached the age of a small child, players went and newly joined. We are an active fleet and are also connected in friendship with Klingons. Grab your daily starbase donations. Get your daily Fleet Boss Battles rewards guaranteed? Chat about Trek? Want more than just the game? Consider joining [TLA] "The Liberal Alliance"Contact me in-game [TLA] Khazaan or even better on the LINE app, handle also "khazaan".
  • Options
    The re-rolls are per player - see this WRG post that also lists the possible buffs and ranges. Generally speaking, I'd much rather buy 4 more valor than spend dil on re-rolls. Also, it's worth mentioning that re-rolls can change the buff type, multiplier (1x,2x,4x), and the buff amount. So the -4% boss ship attack example could re-roll into +9% reflection bonus.

I agree that the documentation is lacking and the UI is not great for seeing what buffs are already earned. Tapping a re-roll icon to see the buff (and not actually do the re-roll) is not obvious. The next buff is readily visible on the combo chain view on the right hand side of that screen (tap "view").

As for the green shield icon - it changes the boss damage per attack by that amount. So for the example shown, the boss damage is reduced by 18%. You can verify this from the numbers that appear on-screen near your ship when the boss attacks (easiest to check with a recording when you have no shields but plenty of hull). Note that this buff is additive with your Captain's Bridge boss defence buff, not multiplicative.
    | dmscramjet's STT Collections sheet | stay tuned for the FBB simulator |
  • Options
    AquielAquiel ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    I’m happy to find this discussion here as I’ve been wondering about this aspect of the game as well.

I notice you didn’t include this combo bonus/image in your breakdown @General Khazaan <))) [TLA], has anyone collected & defined these bonus combos anywhere? I checked on the wiki but found nothing there. efch71vi3d3d.png
  • Options
    Aquiel wrote: »
    I’m happy to find this discussion here as I’ve been wondering about this aspect of the game as well.

I notice you didn’t include this combo bonus/image in your breakdown @General Khazaan <))) [TLA], has anyone collected & defined these bonus combos anywhere? I checked on the wiki but found nothing there. efch71vi3d3d.png

They're listed in this WRG post and I've copied them below for convenience:

Increase Attack: 5% - 15%
    Increase Attack Speed: 5% - 15%
    Increase Crit Rating: 300 - 1000
    Increase Crit Bonus: 3000 - 10000
    Reduce damage taken from boss: 2% - 10%
    Reflect part of damage taken from the boss: 5% - 13%
    Reduce all cooldowns: 1 second

Some comments:
    Increased attack multiplies the base attack power (not boosted by battle actions)
    Reduced damage factor is added to the "boss defence" bridge buff
    Reflection is computed after all reductions
    Reduced cooldowns is a random value between [0.5, 1.0] in tenths, but rounded to an integer in battle. 0.5 rounds down, so -1.5 cooldown is only -1 second, but -1.6 is -2 seconds.
  • Options
    AquielAquiel ✭✭✭
    Is this symbol for Crit Rating or Crit Bonus? r2824v17gc5k.png
  • Options
    Aquiel wrote: »
    Is this symbol for Crit Rating or Crit Bonus? r2824v17gc5k.png

yeah, it's weird. That's crit rating.
    Crit chance = Crit rating
    Crit damage = Crit bonus

The new names are more clear, but they didn't remove the old ones.
  • Options
    AquielAquiel ✭✭✭
    Yea that is more clear, thank you for explaining that