Home The Bridge
«1

Comments

  • My 4/5 Bridal Keiko is ready to be immortalised ...
  • Greetings Captains! What would be other types of events (besides expeditions) that you would like to see more often? Let us know LLAP
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few weeks ago, players were complaining that we had Galaxy or Galaxy/Faction for several weeks in a row.

    A mix up of events is good, and a full faction sometimes is nice.
    It is possible to get 350,000 VP without using minimal or no resources, resources are only needed if players are competing for rank.

    The second of these two events is a re-run. Veteran players should have both super-rares, and only need to compete if they want to legendary.

    I will be going for full threshold rewards as it is easy, and not a waste for me. If this was a full galaxy, I would take the week off, and only do one build.

    I only normally compete for rank in Factions, or Faction/Galaxy events now. I am tired of the click fest of galaxys and skirmishes. Most Galaxys I only go for old rewards about 130,000 VP.

    To sum up, the current mix of events is good, and I am looking forwards to the new event type.
  • AviTrek wrote: »
    The real answer is the more strategic less grindy event Ben/Joe were talking about on the stream. But it should have been built years ago before FBB and continuum.

    I hope that wasn't marketing speak for pay-to-win events instead of grind-to-win events.

    Having said that, there are many areas of gameplay that could be leveraged for an event.

    How about a voyage event with special dilemmas and special drops (victory points, event crew, quantum, q-bits, valor.) The dilemmas could be in a pre-arranged order to tell the event storyline.

    Or an FBB event. Replace the doomsday machine with a different boss for the event duration. VP for node solving and some bonus VP for the whole fleet for boss destruction (needs to be well balanced not to punish node solvers.)

    Or a gauntlet event. Event traits give gauntlet bonus, different from the usual gauntlet traits. Maybe have a shortened gauntlet duration of 24 hours, to be able to play 4 gauntlets for the event. Also pick from the same pool of opponents for all players, otherwise event difficulty would depend on which group a player is in (looking at you, FIFA world cup...)

    Speaking of sports events, how about a fleet March Madness? Fleet vs. fleet in some discipline (gauntlet could also work here), and the winning fleet advances to the next round. WRG, you have 22 days left to code this! ;-)
  • Thank you all! We'll keep monitoring suggestions and let the team know your Thoughts. LLAP
  • Skirmish is my favorite. More of those, less supplies!
  • ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are only three event types, plus hybrids of course, so there's not really much you can do to add variety. All you can do is try to make sure we don't get two of the same in a row, which is what's happening here.

    We need a 4th event type. We know we're not going to get expeditions back, because Ben hates them and doesn't want the players to be happy. But we need something.
  • Webberoni wrote: »
    Week 1 - faction
    Week 2 - skirmish/faction hybrid
    Week 3 - galaxy
    Week 4 - faction/galaxy hybrid
    Week 5 - skirmish
    Week 6 - galaxy/skirmish hybrid

    I like this mix. The only thing I personally would change is Week 1 to a skirmish, especially in a Mega, to better get the recurring card to 100FE. But this structure on the whole seems more balanced.
    Going boldly since April 2020 | My Datacore profile
  • I prefer a good mix of event and like the 6 week rotation proposed above. Personally I dislike faction events because I have to be able to check in every few hours when my weekends are busy with real life during the day versus grinding for a couple hours in the evening when a skirmish is up.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    Until a new event type is ready, just do a better job of mixing up the 3 full and 3 hybrid events, so that no event type is ever featured (full or hybrid) in more than 2 events in a row. You could do a rotation like this, where each event type has a full event, first-half hybrid, and second-half hybrid:

    Week 1 - faction
    Week 2 - skirmish/faction hybrid
    Week 3 - galaxy
    Week 4 - faction/galaxy hybrid
    Week 5 - skirmish
    Week 6 - galaxy/skirmish hybrid

    Even if full expedition events are off the table, mixing in the occasional hybrid involving a half-expedition would be a great way to add more variety from existing event types, giving you 3 more hybrid options.

    The high point half should always be the second half. Faction/skirmish not skirmish/faction. Especially with the start of the events covering more working hours, you want the minimal grind that can be done then and leave the grindy skirmish for the weekend. When skirmish half is first it means people who have time during the week can rack up big points and there is no reason for anyone else to even try to catch up in the second half.
  • Kim_Novak.IIKim_Novak.II ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10
    a rerun with DECENT threshhold reward, not one of the worst cards with only one collection that is pretty easy to fill & then complete with much better cards like Boothby, Dahj, Fury Kes
    This will be the second rerun where I'm not bothering to hit threshold. Mega is coming, save for that
  • ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    a rerun with DECENT threshhold reward, not one of the worst cards with only one collection that is pretty rasy to fill & then complete with much better cards like Boothby, Dahj, Fury Kes
    This will be the second rerun where I'm not bothering to hit threshold. Mega is coming, save for that

    I agree 100%. Couldn't be bothered to get Bridal Keiko the first time around, almost certainly won't bother this time either. Dax isn't inspiring enough to chase, so unless there's a truly compelling reason based on the following week's event I'll be putting in minimal effort.
  • Kim_Novak.IIKim_Novak.II ✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Webberoni wrote: »
    Until a new event type is ready, just do a better job of mixing up the 3 full and 3 hybrid events, so that no event type is ever featured (full or hybrid) in more than 2 events in a row. You could do a rotation like this, where each event type has a full event, first-half hybrid, and second-half hybrid:

    Week 1 - faction
    Week 2 - skirmish/faction hybrid
    Week 3 - galaxy
    Week 4 - faction/galaxy hybrid
    Week 5 - skirmish
    Week 6 - galaxy/skirmish hybrid

    Even if full expedition events are off the table, mixing in the occasional hybrid involving a half-expedition would be a great way to add more variety from existing event types, giving you 3 more hybrid options.

    The high point half should always be the second half. Faction/skirmish not skirmish/faction. Especially with the start of the events covering more working hours, you want the minimal grind that can be done then and leave the grindy skirmish for the weekend. When skirmish half is first it means people who have time during the week can rack up big points and there is no reason for anyone else to even try to catch up in the second half.

    faction/skirmish lets you cheat in a way though
  • Auto/3x space battles are a wonderful thing (I can't imagine what FBB would be like if it had been introduced before them) but with the rate they let you rack up VP in Skirmish they have had the side effect of making any hybrid with a Skirmish phase into a short Skirmish with two days of padding.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auto/3x space battles are a wonderful thing (I can't imagine what FBB would be like if it had been introduced before them) but with the rate they let you rack up VP in Skirmish they have had the side effect of making any hybrid with a Skirmish phase into a short Skirmish with two days of padding.

    When skirmishes were introduced and we had no 3x, it took me about 30 seconds between battles with the animations. And the VP was still raked up. Now with the 3x and better crew and ships, 10 seconds between battles is on the long end. So yes, any hybrid with skirmish can have the second part skipped.
  • Kim_Novak.IIKim_Novak.II ✭✭✭✭
    Auto/3x space battles are a wonderful thing (I can't imagine what FBB would be like if it had been introduced before them) but with the rate they let you rack up VP in Skirmish they have had the side effect of making any hybrid with a Skirmish phase into a short Skirmish with two days of padding.

    When skirmishes were introduced and we had no 3x, it took me about 30 seconds between battles with the animations. And the VP was still raked up. Now with the 3x and better crew and ships, 10 seconds between battles is on the long end. So yes, any hybrid with skirmish can have the second part skipped.

    they should bring back a skirmish or 2 without auto just to see how people cope

    not mentioning any names but I don't know how it is possible for some to do a full skirmish in the time they do without some "help"
  • AviTrek wrote: »
    Greetings Captains! What would be other types of events (besides expeditions) that you would like to see more often? Let us know LLAP
    There aren't enough event types. Something is always going to repeat because there aren't enough options to vary them.
    I have the insane idea of a three-phase-hybrid. A Galaxy-Faction-Skirmish event. It's not that big of an innovation, but hey, it's different. Like cupcakes which look'n'taste the same but have a different color.
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Greetings Captains! What would be other types of events (besides expeditions) that you would like to see more often? Let us know LLAP
    There aren't enough event types. Something is always going to repeat because there aren't enough options to vary them.
    I have the insane idea of a three-phase-hybrid. A Galaxy-Faction-Skirmish event. It's not that big of an innovation, but hey, it's different. Like cupcakes which look'n'taste the same but have a different color.

    Something similar was done once; the event was appropriately named "The Weak Will Perish." The stories that are told say it was not fun (I was around for it but don't remember it).
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1451 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • EnderW wrote: »
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Greetings Captains! What would be other types of events (besides expeditions) that you would like to see more often? Let us know LLAP
    There aren't enough event types. Something is always going to repeat because there aren't enough options to vary them.
    I have the insane idea of a three-phase-hybrid. A Galaxy-Faction-Skirmish event. It's not that big of an innovation, but hey, it's different. Like cupcakes which look'n'taste the same but have a different color.

    Something similar was done once; the event was appropriately named "The Weak Will Perish." The stories that are told say it was not fun (I was around for it but don't remember it).
    I'm playing since the first year and don't remember either. But I guess the unfun part was definitely the Expedition phase.

    Expedition is work. Work for developers and players. Players want fun. And developers income (their fun).

    I think, exchanging the Expedition phase with a Skirmish (and the players love Skirmish) phase would make a change. Could be worth a shot.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    EnderW wrote: »
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Greetings Captains! What would be other types of events (besides expeditions) that you would like to see more often? Let us know LLAP
    There aren't enough event types. Something is always going to repeat because there aren't enough options to vary them.
    I have the insane idea of a three-phase-hybrid. A Galaxy-Faction-Skirmish event. It's not that big of an innovation, but hey, it's different. Like cupcakes which look'n'taste the same but have a different color.

    Something similar was done once; the event was appropriately named "The Weak Will Perish." The stories that are told say it was not fun (I was around for it but don't remember it).
    I'm playing since the first year and don't remember either. But I guess the unfun part was definitely the Expedition phase.

    Expedition is work. Work for developers and players. Players want fun. And developers income (their fun).

    I think, exchanging the Expedition phase with a Skirmish (and the players love Skirmish) phase would make a change. Could be worth a shot.

    The problem was there was no good way to split a 4 day event 3 ways. In fact, they launched the event without even thinking about it. Then they made it a 6 day event so that eacg phase could be a normal 2 days.

    I think it was something like Wed-Tue.

    So in your order you've got a galaxy running Wed-Fri during the work week. A faction running Fri-Sun over a weekend. And then a skirmish running Sun-Tue almost all during a work week again. Sounds like a terrible setup for anyone with a job. And on top of that, it's spending a lot more chronitons and time for the same rank reward. Thanks but no thanks.
  • ChaosChild wrote: »
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    EnderW wrote: »
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Greetings Captains! What would be other types of events (besides expeditions) that you would like to see more often? Let us know LLAP
    There aren't enough event types. Something is always going to repeat because there aren't enough options to vary them.
    I have the insane idea of a three-phase-hybrid. A Galaxy-Faction-Skirmish event. It's not that big of an innovation, but hey, it's different. Like cupcakes which look'n'taste the same but have a different color.

    Something similar was done once; the event was appropriately named "The Weak Will Perish." The stories that are told say it was not fun (I was around for it but don't remember it).
    I'm playing since the first year and don't remember either. But I guess the unfun part was definitely the Expedition phase.

    Expedition is work. Work for developers and players. Players want fun. And developers income (their fun).

    I think, exchanging the Expedition phase with a Skirmish (and the players love Skirmish) phase would make a change. Could be worth a shot.

    Correction: Expedition is fun, because it requires you to use your brain, all other events are mindless button-pressing.
    I know what you mean. But most people see it as time-consuming tedious work, which is also a race against the clock, even if you only go for thresholds. Time management is of the essence.

    Skirmish needs your brain too. But you don't need a sheet of paper, after you figured out, what ship and crew combination is best. The setup is saved until the phase ends. Even if you rotate crew at stations (I don't do it any more since ages), a sheet of paper isn't that necessary (until your brain is holey like swiss cheese). Expedition thwarts this. We're not playing pen'n'paper.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    EnderW wrote: »
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Greetings Captains! What would be other types of events (besides expeditions) that you would like to see more often? Let us know LLAP
    There aren't enough event types. Something is always going to repeat because there aren't enough options to vary them.
    I have the insane idea of a three-phase-hybrid. A Galaxy-Faction-Skirmish event. It's not that big of an innovation, but hey, it's different. Like cupcakes which look'n'taste the same but have a different color.

    Something similar was done once; the event was appropriately named "The Weak Will Perish." The stories that are told say it was not fun (I was around for it but don't remember it).
    I'm playing since the first year and don't remember either. But I guess the unfun part was definitely the Expedition phase.

    Expedition is work. Work for developers and players. Players want fun. And developers income (their fun).

    I think, exchanging the Expedition phase with a Skirmish (and the players love Skirmish) phase would make a change. Could be worth a shot.

    Correction: Expedition is fun, because it requires you to use your brain, all other events are mindless button-pressing.
    I know what you mean. But most people see it as time-consuming tedious work, which is also a race against the clock, even if you only go for thresholds. Time management is of the essence.

    Skirmish needs your brain too. But you don't need a sheet of paper, after you figured out, what ship and crew combination is best. The setup is saved until the phase ends. Even if you rotate crew at stations (I don't do it any more since ages), a sheet of paper isn't that necessary (until your brain is holey like swiss cheese). Expedition thwarts this. We're not playing pen'n'paper.

    Skirmish doesn't need your brain. And if you were rotating crew you were doing it wrong. You pick your three fastest crew, throw in any of the event crew for max bonus and you keep hitting auto to play at max speed.

    Skirmish and galaxy have about as much skill as a slot machine. See how long you can sit there mindlessly hitting the same buttons.
  • ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    EnderW wrote: »
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Greetings Captains! What would be other types of events (besides expeditions) that you would like to see more often? Let us know LLAP
    There aren't enough event types. Something is always going to repeat because there aren't enough options to vary them.
    I have the insane idea of a three-phase-hybrid. A Galaxy-Faction-Skirmish event. It's not that big of an innovation, but hey, it's different. Like cupcakes which look'n'taste the same but have a different color.

    Something similar was done once; the event was appropriately named "The Weak Will Perish." The stories that are told say it was not fun (I was around for it but don't remember it).
    I'm playing since the first year and don't remember either. But I guess the unfun part was definitely the Expedition phase.

    Expedition is work. Work for developers and players. Players want fun. And developers income (their fun).

    I think, exchanging the Expedition phase with a Skirmish (and the players love Skirmish) phase would make a change. Could be worth a shot.

    Correction: Expedition is fun, because it requires you to use your brain, all other events are mindless button-pressing.
    I know what you mean. But most people see it as time-consuming tedious work, which is also a race against the clock, even if you only go for thresholds. Time management is of the essence.

    Skirmish needs your brain too. But you don't need a sheet of paper, after you figured out, what ship and crew combination is best. The setup is saved until the phase ends. Even if you rotate crew at stations (I don't do it any more since ages), a sheet of paper isn't that necessary (until your brain is holey like swiss cheese). Expedition thwarts this. We're not playing pen'n'paper.

    Skirmish doesn't need your brain. And if you were rotating crew you were doing it wrong. You pick your three fastest crew, throw in any of the event crew for max bonus and you keep hitting auto to play at max speed.

    Skirmish and galaxy have about as much skill as a slot machine. See how long you can sit there mindlessly hitting the same buttons.

    Exactly. You never need to change anything for a skirmish, once you've set up your crew that's it. And you almost certainly don't change that crew or ship from one event to the next, just swap in the new event crew.

    Galaxy is just a matter of making sure you have the event crew available, and occasionally remembering to select the second or third crew in the order the game presents them to you because of trait bonuses.

    Faction requires a small amount of thought, but it also requires you to be online every three hours. Or every hour and a half if you're trying to place high enough. Complete chore.

    Expeditions required thought, and most people don't like thinking. I get that. Certainly WRG don't like thinking, or the game wouldn't have so many bugs. But expeditions were the only event type I actually enjoyed playing, as opposed to just getting some satisfaction when i get a good result, which is all i can aay for the others. I know some people didn't enjoy them, and that's fair enough, but to ditch them in favour of the events that nobody really enjoys (be honest now) just seems insane. Tweak the format, come up with some way of monetising them better to keep the whales happy by all means. But give us expeditions back, just the occasional one in the name of variety would be nice. Even a couple of reruns would be something.

    But it's never going to happen. Tedium, now and forever. That's the WRG way.
  • AviTrek wrote: »
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    EnderW wrote: »
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Greetings Captains! What would be other types of events (besides expeditions) that you would like to see more often? Let us know LLAP
    There aren't enough event types. Something is always going to repeat because there aren't enough options to vary them.
    I have the insane idea of a three-phase-hybrid. A Galaxy-Faction-Skirmish event. It's not that big of an innovation, but hey, it's different. Like cupcakes which look'n'taste the same but have a different color.

    Something similar was done once; the event was appropriately named "The Weak Will Perish." The stories that are told say it was not fun (I was around for it but don't remember it).
    I'm playing since the first year and don't remember either. But I guess the unfun part was definitely the Expedition phase.

    Expedition is work. Work for developers and players. Players want fun. And developers income (their fun).

    I think, exchanging the Expedition phase with a Skirmish (and the players love Skirmish) phase would make a change. Could be worth a shot.

    Correction: Expedition is fun, because it requires you to use your brain, all other events are mindless button-pressing.
    I know what you mean. But most people see it as time-consuming tedious work, which is also a race against the clock, even if you only go for thresholds. Time management is of the essence.

    Skirmish needs your brain too. But you don't need a sheet of paper, after you figured out, what ship and crew combination is best. The setup is saved until the phase ends. Even if you rotate crew at stations (I don't do it any more since ages), a sheet of paper isn't that necessary (until your brain is holey like swiss cheese). Expedition thwarts this. We're not playing pen'n'paper.
    Skirmish doesn't need your brain. And if you were rotating crew you were doing it wrong.
    I have enough crew. And other players. But not all of them. And those people must rotate for trait bonuses.

    And yet, there were once in a while challenging skirmishes, because the available event crew was scarce with unflattering battle bonuses. In these situations, I preferably use the T'Ong to counteract, but I managed to prevail without rotating.
Sign In or Register to comment.