Home The Bridge
Options

What Are Your Plans for Convergence Day in January?

PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in The Bridge
January 12th is coming up fast! https://stt.wiki/wiki/Convergence_Day

But I've been super-organised this year, and I've just finished getting everything booked.

I've arranged for my partner to take time off work, and my kids will be off school from January 11th and all of the following week. I feel it's important for my kids to have some amazing adventures and experiences even if they're too young to appreciate them fully, and Convergence Day seems like a great excuse to fill their memories with stuff!

This year I've booked flights into Tokyo. From arrival (which will be the morning of Friday 12th), I've booked a hotel near the airport, as I think that's a good way to relax after a long flight and get one's bearings in a foreign land. It's just an overnighter; I've also booked trains that go up into the mountains. I thought Mt Fuji would be a bit clichéd, so after a little research, I've chosen a nearby mountain town called Hakone, for a stay of a full week.

It's a tiny town, but it should be very enjoyable. I'm particularly hoping that the kids will enjoy nearby Lake Ashi - especially with the legends of the sea monster that lurks within! There's also a round trip around the sights, which seem to involve plenty of not-quite-dormant volcanoes (so why are they called mountains? HUH?), as well some wonderful cheese biscuit ice cream. And my wife can enjoy the many hot springs resorts they have there.

Finally, I've booked more train tickets that indirectly lead from Hakone back towards Tokyo, where I've booked a few days at Tokyo Disneyland Resort. It looks quite exciting from the pictures - but it'll probably be better in two or three years, after Disney buys Star Trek.

And while my wife and kids are enjoying Japan, I'll be on the sofa at home devoting all of my attention to the Convergence Day Event.

Has anybody else here got anything planned?

Edit: I just want to add, I keep coming THIS CLOSE to airlocking my 2/4 lvl90 Klingon Quark, but he's miraculously made it through the entire year. I will be very disappointed if he's not event crew!

Comments

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I'm working some that weekend but I really am cautiously excited to see what happens. If its even close to last year it will be a blast. That was when I got my first 5 star - and was new enough that I was just getting the hang of events and event crew.
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to consider myself a good Trek fan. I've watched all the mainstream episodes, though as my wife only likes TOS it's been a long time since I've watched any of the others. So I've forgotten a few things, don't remember some plotlines or minor characters here or there.

But I have to admit, aside from seeing CDQ in the Gauntlet all the time, I don't have a scrap of a memory about Convergence Day. Nothing at all. So, sorry to be a downer, but was this actually something big that I should know about and be celebrating?
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magisse wrote: »
    I like to consider myself a good Trek fan. I've watched all the mainstream episodes, though as my wife only likes TOS it's been a long time since I've watched any of the others. So I've forgotten a few things, don't remember some plotlines or minor characters here or there.

But I have to admit, aside from seeing CDQ in the Gauntlet all the time, I don't have a scrap of a memory about Convergence Day. Nothing at all. So, sorry to be a downer, but was this actually something big that I should know about and be celebrating?

Yeah, I mean, c'mon! It's at least as important as Life Day is to Star Wars fans. They're pretty much the same holiday, actually... the only difference is, one of them features Quark, the other one features a child Wookiee. Well, that and the holographic Jefferson Starship song. Otherwise, they're virtually indistinguishable.

t1g6vqpg7bxz.gif

Even Lumpy is excited about it. Where's your Convergence Day spirit, man?

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    If its even close to last year it will be a blast. That was when I got my first 5 star - and was new enough that I was just getting the hang of events and event crew.

Wow, that sounds exactly like me! I couldn't understand why my Convergence Day Quark was so much better than my other cards (I hadn't figured out the colors and the stars at that point). He's really helped me out throughout the year - heck, he's out on a Voyage for me right now!

I shudder to think what characters I might have airlocked in my first month or two...

If you haven't yet spent any money, I finally relented and picked up a monthly card about two months ago, which gave me a third shuttle and some further crew slots. I highly recommend it - especially as that $4 is fairly easy to pick up through Google surveys or through Steam trading cards!
  • Options
    Last year we got five free crew slots! \o/
  • Options
    FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    CDQuark was the first ever "low hanging fruit" 5* so significant in that aspect..

There was the crew slots, 1st or 2nd time ever if I recall correctly.. they also mailed out a 3 day supply kit for all players. (Lol, still got mine)

The community rewards was stacked up with multiple pulls for a special event pack "Q's Choice" which had (for the time, and some what even now) solid utility characters that were sought after.

Oh, and it was all 1 phase for the entire Galaxy event.

Pretty decent, been looking forward to its return this year to come.

And DB..
    Do the right thing and make the prize characters true reruns !

Update the Q's Choice..
    But otherwise a true rerun of this event would be awesome. (And give you an easy week)

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't that actually the debut of the supply kit?
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    I airlocked fake Quark, so I don't want another one of those, but more crew slots and new game features would certainly be a welcome addition.
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    Hmm, maybe I'm singing for the wrong holiday then. Know any Convergence Day carols?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Hmm, maybe I'm singing for the wrong holiday then. Know any Convergence Day carols?

Tis the season to be treky...phaser la la la, Tricorder la la...joy exceeds with 5 free crew slots... Judge Q la la la, holoprograms la la...free Non-canon...ish Quarks abound...disruptor beam la la la it's Convergence Day!!
  • Options
    January 12th is coming up fast! https://stt.wiki/wiki/Convergence_Day

But I've been super-organised this year, and I've just finished getting everything booked.

I've arranged for my partner to take time off work, and my kids will be off school from January 11th and all of the following week. I feel it's important for my kids to have some amazing adventures and experiences even if they're too young to appreciate them fully, and Convergence Day seems like a great excuse to fill their memories with stuff!

This year I've booked flights into Tokyo. From arrival (which will be the morning of Friday 12th), I've booked a hotel near the airport, as I think that's a good way to relax after a long flight and get one's bearings in a foreign land. It's just an overnighter; I've also booked trains that go up into the mountains. I thought Mt Fuji would be a bit clichéd, so after a little research, I've chosen a nearby mountain town called Hakone, for a stay of a full week.

It's a tiny town, but it should be very enjoyable. I'm particularly hoping that the kids will enjoy nearby Lake Ashi - especially with the legends of the sea monster that lurks within! There's also a round trip around the sights, which seem to involve plenty of not-quite-dormant volcanoes (so why are they called mountains? HUH?), as well some wonderful cheese biscuit ice cream. And my wife can enjoy the many hot springs resorts they have there.

Finally, I've booked more train tickets that indirectly lead from Hakone back towards Tokyo, where I've booked a few days at Tokyo Disneyland Resort. It looks quite exciting from the pictures - but it'll probably be better in two or three years, after Disney buys Star Trek.

And while my wife and kids are enjoying Japan, I'll be on the sofa at home devoting all of my attention to the Convergence Day Event.

Has anybody else here got anything planned?

Edit: I just want to add, I keep coming THIS CLOSE to airlocking my 2/4 lvl90 Klingon Quark, but he's miraculously made it through the entire year. I will be very disappointed if he's not event crew!

I guess it's possible that you are stuck in some sort of time loop, but for the rest of us the Convergence Day event happened almost a year ago; the link you provided describes an event that took place in January 2017.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenStuff wrote: »
    I guess it's possible that you are stuck in some sort of time loop, but for the rest of us the Convergence Day event happened almost a year ago; the link you provided describes an event that took place in January 2017.

How time flies. January 2017 is almost a year ago.
  • Options
    FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Wasn't that actually the debut of the supply kit?

If not the actual debut, just a couple weeks after to promote then. Can't remember for sure but it was very close together either way.

And.. (ducks)
    Convergence Day quark is based off of what we leave behind quark.. same outfit. I myself see him as"real" , with an easier to fit Name then
    "What you leave behind Quark"
    "Deep space 9 series finale Quark"
    Even "Finale" which wouldn't work because it may leave people with the impression the game is ending or it's the last quark they'll make. (Ironically, it has been this far)

I see that Quark as being real, on his way back to Vic's after confronting Odo near the RunAbout (not being more specific or direct for the 3 players here who this would be a spoiler for lol)

(And the art is glorious too)
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back to the point of the OP before devolving into Quark's lineage and legitimacy......

Erin did mention the second anniversary in the positive part of her Operational Message, so I am hoping that was meant to start pumping us up for another Convergence Day, Data's furry snuggle buddy notwithstanding.

I don't see it being as big this year as frankly the supply kit was revolutionary, but I have hopes for a nice fun event. DB should celebrate the anniversary and on the first anniversary they were very generous. I see the following possibilities:

1) The Discovery 2 mega event trumps the anniversary and we just get some form of Best Chance or Anniversary Pack to buy.
    2) We get an actual event like last time that is both fun and generous even to newer players.
    3) They just do a thank you message in game and leave it at that.

• Options
    I don't see it being as big this year as frankly the supply kit was revolutionary, but I have hopes for a nice fun event.

It could be a good chance to introduce the Affinity System.

That's the system wherein every character in any team (be it Gauntlet, Arena, Voyage, Shuttle, or even a standard away mission or space combat mission) affects the performance of everyone else by a small +/-% modifier.

For example, a shuttle team of three crew, say, Picard, Data and Archer. Picard gets +2% to his stats from being paired with Data (same bridge crew) and +1% to his stats for being with Archer (same Starfleet affiliation). Data gets the same +2% and +1%. Archer gets +1% from each of them (same Starfleet affiliation).

Or a shuttle with Kira, Dukat and Kirk. Kira gets -2% to her stats for being with Dukat, and nothing from Kirk. Dukat gets +2% for being with Kira, naturally, and perhaps -1% for being with Kirk (as Dukat's vaguely racist, or a humanophobe. Kirk gets nothing from Dukat, and +2% for being with a woman.

Anyone with Winn Adami gets -3%.

This will allow for more imaginative Gauntlet teams, create a lot more Voyage-creation anxiety, and also reward people who prefer to collect their favorite teams (rather than simply chasing the highest stats).

Or they could just give us ten free crew slots! \o/
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see it being as big this year as frankly the supply kit was revolutionary, but I have hopes for a nice fun event.

It could be a good chance to introduce the Affinity System.

That's the system wherein every character in any team (be it Gauntlet, Arena, Voyage, Shuttle, or even a standard away mission or space combat mission) affects the performance of everyone else by a small +/-% modifier.

For example, a shuttle team of three crew, say, Picard, Data and Archer. Picard gets +2% to his stats from being paired with Data (same bridge crew) and +1% to his stats for being with Archer (same Starfleet affiliation). Data gets the same +2% and +1%. Archer gets +1% from each of them (same Starfleet affiliation).

Or a shuttle with Kira, Dukat and Kirk. Kira gets -2% to her stats for being with Dukat, and nothing from Kirk. Dukat gets +2% for being with Kira, naturally, and perhaps -1% for being with Kirk (as Dukat's vaguely racist, or a humanophobe. Kirk gets nothing from Dukat, and +2% for being with a woman.

This will allow for more imaginative Gauntlet teams, create a lot more Voyage-creation anxiety, and also reward people who prefer to collect their favorite teams (rather than simply chasing the highest stats).

Or they could just give us ten free crew slots! \o/

I could see that being more of a headache than a feature -- but as I've got a deep crew regardless of stat/teaming I could roll with it.

Rather than tweaks like that, which have a very small player joy factor, I'd think they'd be more angling for a new event type or something along those lines for new features.
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol. True that.

Seriously though, I like that idea. Honestly, I thought something like that was going to be implemented on Voyages since the promo stuff for that had wording like "ever wonder what it'd be like to have a ship with x and y on it?"

My first few Voyages I even tried to make it themed just to see if anything special happened...but it didn't.

I'd like to see more interactivity between crew in general. It feels weird sometimes when I send out a ship with Kortar and none of the Klingons are like "holy **tsk tsk** our friggin' god is onboard", instead Martok is all "hey, let's play Velocity". Also maybe an antimatter boost or something for crew+ship matchups in Voyages. Like, if you're using a Cardassian ship, you get +10 antimatter for each Cardassian aboard.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grant77 wrote: »
    I airlocked fake Quark, so I don't want another one of those, but more crew slots and new game features would certainly be a welcome addition.

But...Quark did dress up like that in DS9. It wasn't "Convergence Day", but Quark appearing like that is canon.

This is hardly a great example to grind your axe on.

I'm sure its Convergence Day somewhere in the Galaxy.

https://www.facebook.com/events/659207977609228/
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't people like Vedik Winn? Her character is deplorable at times (she is a politician, above all), but she serves me very well on shuttles and voyages and she meets cadet 3* requirements.
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't people like Vedik Winn? Her character is deplorable at times (she is a politician, above all), but she serves me very well on shuttles and voyages and she meets cadet 3* requirements.

I don't think people are hating on her because of her stats :P

In the show she was incredibly malicious, manipulative and downright evil by the end. I cannot recall a single time I saw her character do something that I liked. And she wasn't a politician. She was *supposed* to be a religious leader.

As a character she was great, and she served a good purpose in the overall story, but she isn't exactly what I'd call a likeable villain (unlike say, Dukat, or Weyoun).
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    I feel it's important for my kids to have some amazing adventures and experiences even if they're too young to appreciate them fully, and Convergence Day seems like a great excuse to fill their memories with stuff!

I really wouldn't tell your kids that you planned all this because of convergence day.
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

Dude, do you have to do this every time? Wouldn't life be more enjoyable if you lighten up a bit?

I enjoy the game a great deal. The characters that I keep remind me of the shows that I love. The others don't. Why do you feel the need to critique how other people enjoy themselves? It's not doing any harm to you
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think people are hating on her because of her stats :P

In the show she was incredibly malicious, manipulative and downright evil by the end. I cannot recall a single time I saw her character do something that I liked. And she wasn't a politician. She was *supposed* to be a religious leader.

As a character she was great, and she served a good purpose in the overall story, but she isn't exactly what I'd call a likeable villain (unlike say, Dukat, or Weyoun).

Actually as a character I thought she wasn't that great, actually. There were very few surprises with her, even her darker moments were very predictable.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the show she was incredibly malicious, manipulative and downright evil by the end. I cannot recall a single time I saw her character do something that I liked.

That bit when Dukat was struck blind and she told him to be penitent and go beg in the street was pretty funny. I think she did have a few good moments here and there but they were heavily over-shadowed by her villainy.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    In the show she was incredibly malicious, manipulative and downright evil by the end. I cannot recall a single time I saw her character do something that I liked.

That bit when Dukat was struck blind and she told him to be penitent and go beg in the street was pretty funny. I think she did have a few good moments here and there but they were heavily over-shadowed by her villainy.

Even that was done out of spite, not some form of doing the right thing.
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭

But...Quark did dress up like that in DS9. It wasn't "Convergence Day", but Quark appearing like that is canon.

They could have easily called him "Formal Dress Quark" or something else. They needed a character for convergence day and he was in the queue with a sufficiently celebratory appearance. Could have been released at a different time under a different name and been an entirly appropriate 5* later-season DS9 version. But an accident of timing gave him a noncanon name, and people cry "fake crews".
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

They could have easily called him "Formal Dress Quark" or something else. They needed a character for convergence day and he was in the queue with a sufficiently celebratory appearance. Could have been released at a different time under a different name and been an entirly appropriate 5* later-season DS9 version. But an accident of timing gave him a noncanon name, and people cry "fake crews".

"Convergence Day Quark" refers to an event in Star Trek: Timelines - that is to say, the anniversary of the convergence event that brought all of the characters together. If a player cannot accept things that occur in the Timelines story... why would they be playing Timelines at all?

A great number of people play for the cards and ignore DB's storylines altogether. People should be free to enjoy the game as they wish.