Home The Bridge
Options

How To Obtain Upper Status In Events?

I have been playing these events for a while and I am beginning to think that my time and money is just not paying off. I have no desires (though it would be nice) to be in the Top 5 or 10, but when I think that I have the "right" crew to at place me amongst the Top 3000 and I don't, well that can be quite depressing. More depressing is when I can't even get pass the Top 10,000.

So, what is the secret? Strategy?

Comments

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some things that are event specific, but across the board, one thing I cannot stress enough, Bonus Crew.
    In faction and Expedition you want lots.
    In galaxy you need a couple/few but spread amongst the skills.
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For shuttles, buy a ton of tickets for Thursday missions and load up on shuttle boosts if you have enough bonus crew. And do some shuttle speedups. But all about the grind to get time boosts. Galaxy is the same thing. Stock pile chronitons. But if your crew is weak, you should work on them for a while first then burn for one event
  • Options
    Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many shuttles do you have? If you don't have 4 shuttles then you aren't going to place high
  • Options
    How many shuttles do you have? If you don't have 4 shuttles then you aren't going to place high

Even with 3 shuttles you can rank top 1000, just requires more effort and strategy.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options

Even with 3 shuttles you can rank top 1000, just requires more effort and strategy.

Having read on the forum some time ago, I did increase my shuttles to four, but still...

Here is a small sampling of my progress (all faction events) -

The Akritirian Job - 17,288
    Imperial Decree - 14,999
    The Daystrom Award - 12,974

If nothing else, I am consistent :)

• Options
    Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭

Having read on the forum some time ago, I did increase my shuttles to four, but still...

Imperial Decree - 14,999

The next item you need is to consistently get maximum rewards. On shuttle missions if you getting 4000 points per shuttle somewhat consistantly it will make it much harder.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    List your crew for the current event. We'll be able to get an idea what you'll score for the faction portion of the event.

For this event I have the following event crew:
    Mirror Uhura L100 FFFE
    Mirror Picard L100 2/5 FE
    I have the following bonus crew:
    Mirror Data L100 1/5 FE
    Mirror Bashir L100 1/5 FE
    8x 4* Mirror Crew L100 FFFE
    Tuskeggee Mayweather L100 FFFE
    Dr Crusher L100 1/4 FE

This crew should put me in the top 500 after shuttles are done. Beyond the opening 30 shuttle rush, I do not normally use time reducing boosts or dilithium speed-ups. I will also be able to breeze through the Expedition portion of the event.

This is the kind of crew you need to place well. In a normal shuttle event you would more likely need 3-5 L100 4* FFFE Bonus Crew and to power level the threshold event character as well.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭

Imperial Decree - 14,999

I don't see consitancy, I see steady improvement. Just continue to play and work on your crew. Most strategies have already been discussed. If you aren't doing at least a partial shuttle jump-start start, do so (even if you are a few hours late for the event start it makes a huge difference). If you aren't cherry-picking faction missions, do so. If you are running extra Thursday missions for boosts, do elite missions not epic. Quantity is more important than quality, and you will get more of the key 1:30 time boosts.

I don't know if you've been playing long enough to experience Expedition format, but if you have the time and patience to grind through that portion you could do well, as Expedition rewards time spent playing more than existing crew or dilithium spending (although those do have an effect).

And in hybrid events with a faction opener, consider putting treasure boosts on the last set of shuttles before the phase change.
  • Options
    Ivanstone - following your example, here is what I have -

Mirror Uhura L70 4/4
    Mirror Picard L40 2/5
    Tuskeegee Mayweather L90 4/4

Dr Crusher is amongst the following I have vaulted -
    Mirror Sisko, Mirror K'Ehleyr and Mirror Garak

The following are my other Mirror crew -
    Mirror Phlox L100 4/4
    Mirror Kirk L100 FE 2/5
    Mirror Sato L80 4/4
    Mirror Tucker L80 3/4

Oh, did I mention that obtaining resources has become an exercise in futility. I must have a gazillion (no, not really) 5-star crew that has been waiting for the mothership to land bringing with it some much needed resources?

• Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Space Cowboy get them out of the vault!! And Mirror Picard should have been your priority leveling from the day he was announced. One max crew to get triple bonus and growing in strength throughout 4 events is immensely valuable.

Finish Uhura, leave off her equipment you'll get from rewards and her equipment that doesn't add any stats and get Picard finished in a hurry. They'll get double points on star nodes they crit for expedition, and the other mirror crew will get 1.5
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭

Mirror Uhura L70 4/4
    Mirror Picard L40 2/5

Here's the thing, the event was announced last Friday. That gives you 6 days to power level stuff. My situation is probably somewhat easier than yours since I don't have too much to level anymore but I will always prioritize Event Crew. Picard I had leveled to 100 the day after I received him, nevermind letting him languish for two weeks. Its an absolute necessity to get event characters ready. Its incredibly important for event placement. After last week's event finished I had Crusher at L1. I checked the Wiki and even a 1/4 Crusher would make her my 2nd best Med this event, so I got her leveled to 100.

Having said that, your crew looks decent enough. Its certainly should do much better than a top 10000 placement. Good shuttle placement often involves making sure your shuttles are almost constantly going. So use an external timer to make sure you keep them up. Also don't be afraid to use 3* boosts (skill or time) to keep your VP up.
  • Options
    EtienneEtienne ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

If you want to rank in the top 10 the only way is to get yourself a ton of 9 hour time boosts and a ton of dilithium to speed your shuttles up so you get double the VP in a very short amount of time. It is extremely costly 500something dil to speed them up but it is the only way that I know how to do it.

Also having the right guy so your shuttle succeeds is a given... 500something dil is a lot to lose if you have fails.
  • Options
    @Space Cowboy get them out of the vault!! And Mirror Picard should have been your priority leveling from the day he was announced. One max crew to get triple bonus and growing in strength throughout 4 events is immensely valuable.

Finish Uhura, leave off her equipment you'll get from rewards and her equipment that doesn't add any stats and get Picard finished in a hurry. They'll get double points on star nodes they crit for expedition, and the other mirror crew will get 1.5

Captain I agree with you about Picard, I had thought about it at the time be said to myself "self, do you really want to spend the money?" Of course, you know what the answer was based upon his current status.

By the way, you are talking about nodes, is that for the next phase?

• Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Captain I agree with you about Picard, I had thought about it at the time be said to myself "self, do you really want to spend the money?" Of course, you know what the answer was based upon his current status.

What money? The game gives you more than ample amount of material to level a 5* character in the space of two weeks. More to the point, that's how you get good event placement. Not leveling an event character will hurt you in an event.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leveled Picard and had him FE by the second event. All without spending 1 cent or any DIL. So did everyone else in the top 3k that you want to reach. You're now a week behind and he's still not FE.

I've also leveled Mirror Reed, Mirror Jadzia, Mirror Sato, Mirror Data, Mirror Vic, as well as some unrelated crew since the start of the mega event. They are all FE and were 0 when the events started. I don't know what you've been focusing on, but leveling the mirror crew needs to be your priority for doing well in these events.
  • Options
    Voyages. If you're not running them, you need to.
  • Options
    Space CowboySpace Cowboy ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Ivanstone, AviTrek, et al., how are you fully equipping as well as 5-starring your crew without spending money? Inquiring minds would surely like to know. If I can cease spending money on this game, my poor little fishies can get food instead of drinking water all of the time :)

Afterthought - more directed at AviTrek because of the listed Mirror crew. How did you manage to get all of them? I dropped 650 Dil's with the hope of getting anything other than Uhura because I already have her at 4-stars, but what did I get? You guessed it.
  • Options
    Voyages. If you're not running them, you need to.

Cmdr. Morak yes I am running Voyages. One of the few things that I enjoy. Especially the Chronitons.
  • Options
    AviTrek did not say FFFE just FE. I started with 2 FFFE, Mirror Spock and Emperess Sato. I have Picard at level 60 when I got my second, and still sprung for the Double offer. There were a few items I used and now after 4 hours today had him 4 stars. He will be FFFE early next weekend.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, let me say I've been playing awhile and have 260 immortals. I currently only have a single character to level (Lonn Sudar). There are periods of time where I have nothing to level, so I just pre-farm for Galaxies. Because of that there are certain materials that I am extremely well stocked on. I never need 2* components for example. I am typically only blocked by some faction items and some 3* components (Casing, Polys, etc). Its been this way for me since early July.

Nevertheless I am not idle in the game and the game gives you substantial resources for free. I managed to get 200+ immortals in game even before Voyages whilst spending almost no money. I finish top 5 in almost every gauntlet. I spend all of my daily chrons, do as many AdWarps as I'm allowed, never leave my shuttles idle. Leave characters open at certain points so the Dabo and the Gauntlet complete gear for you.

I'm not sure what you're doing in game but Voyages alone should allow you to complete virtually any character in game within a few days. The only thing slowing you down should be faction items and some 3/4* components. Just set a goal for yourself. Pick a character, focus on it and then move on when done.
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Space Cowboy Just FE Picard is fine, I didn't pop for his last star either, but had him FE by middle of the first event. I'm no where near @Ivanstone 's level, but when the mirror event was announced I did start farming the hard to obtain equipment I thought Terrans would use, 0* poisoned drinks and 1* Terran emblems.

For nodes, yes, I'm talking about the next phase. I'm not sure how much you've learned about expeditions yet, so I'll just mention the brief rundown and can extrapolate more if you need it.

Expeditions are essentially a 5 part away mission mini chapter (like cadet challenges). You still get Normal, Elite, and Epic difficulties, and have to clear all the starred nodes to unlock the next difficulty. Once you collect the star, it's gone until you "cancel" or end your ticket, and the starred nodes require getting a crit on them like normal away mission nodes. However, these nodes give VP instead of items, and if you use "High bonus crew" they get double the VP, and "Low bonus crew" get you 1.5 times the VP. Crew also get fatigued, like in the gauntlet, which resets after ending your ticket. High bonus like Picard and Uhura will only lose 5% of their base AND proficiency stat per victory (like 4x that for defeat), low bonus take a 10% fatigue hit, and normal crew I think 20%.

Good luck!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone, AviTrek, et al., how are you fully equipping as well as 5-starring your crew without spending money? Inquiring minds would surely like to know. If I can cease spending money on this game, my poor little fishies can get food instead of drinking water all of the time :)

Afterthought - more directed at AviTrek because of the listed Mirror crew. How did you manage to get all of them? I dropped 650 Dil's with the hope of getting anything other than Uhura because I already have her at 4-stars, but what did I get? You guessed it.

Sorry, to clarify, the 4* are all FF from rank rewards in the event. The 5* are 1/5 except for Picard who is now 3/5. But they were all FE from level 1 to 100 since they were released in the event. But the number of stars I have is irrelevant in terms of equipping speed. The point is, you should have Picard FE and be getting Uhura equipped as fast as you can right now.
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    I have been playing these events for a while and I am beginning to think that my time and money is just not paying off. I have no desires (though it would be nice) to be in the Top 5 or 10, but when I think that I have the "right" crew to at place me amongst the Top 3000 and I don't, well that can be quite depressing. More depressing is when I can't even get pass the Top 10,000.

To be in the top ranks you have to pay up big time. So you better get your next two or three pay checks ready to throw them to the beast, or better forget about it.

What you have to understand first: Doing well means getting to the top 1000. It does not matter if you are rank 1000 or if you are rank 26 (or sometimes rank 16) in the end, since the rewards are practically identical. So every effort beyond top 1000 is not worth it, if you don't care about the (pseudo) prestige.

Top 25 you can forget without putting in huge amounts of money. The best chances you have with faction missions, you can reach the top 1000 as a month card payer (as a free player, if you save up your boosts a few weeks). You do a kick start (there should be guides out there how to do it), you plan 4 nights without uninterrupted sleep and put your shuttles out (four of them) every 3 hours. You do only the missions with the lowest amount of crew slots (usually 3), so you have to open pretty much every mission in order to always get them. You put at least a 3* boost on EVERY shuttle. With a halfway descent crew you then have a chance for the top 1000.

If you care only about the crew, it's easier and cheaper to buy them, than to play the event. Especially when it comes to the 5* crew. You have only a realistic shot for 1/5 and thus if you want to have it 5/5 your best chance is getting it through event packs (and/or double your crew offers).

But if you think you can play the event for the legendary crew, you need to get real!
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope_F wrote: »

To be in the top ranks you have to pay up big time. So you better get your next two or three pay checks ready to throw them to the beast, or better forget about it.

What you have to understand first: Doing well means getting to the top 1000. It does not matter if you are rank 1000 or if you are rank 26 (or sometimes rank 16) in the end, since the rewards are practically identical. So every effort beyond top 1000 is not worth it, if you don't care about the (pseudo) prestige.

Top 25 you can forget without putting in huge amounts of money. The best chances you have with faction missions, you can reach the top 1000 as a month card payer (as a free player, if you save up your boosts a few weeks). You do a kick start (there should be guides out there how to do it), you plan 4 nights without uninterrupted sleep and put your shuttles out (four of them) every 3 hours. You do only the missions with the lowest amount of crew slots (usually 3), so you have to open pretty much every mission in order to always get them. You put at least a 3* boost on EVERY shuttle. With a halfway descent crew you then have a chance for the top 1000.

If you care only about the crew, it's easier and cheaper to buy them, than to play the event. Especially when it comes to the 5* crew. You have only a realistic shot for 1/5 and thus if you want to have it 5/5 your best chance is getting it through event packs (and/or double your crew offers).

But if you think you can play the event for the legendary crew, you need to get real!

Sorry but I only used the 3 star time boosts on the quick start, and used skill ones after. I've been getting into the top 1000 regularly. Now the shuttles overnight thing, some folks compensate for that with the 9 hour shuttle boosts, or some are newer parents like me who's toddler wakes them up at night so I don't need an alarm, lol.

It took me time to get here though, as I had to take time to build my crew. This time around, I have every mirror 4* maxed. That severely helps the success rate.

So I echo what some others said further up thread. You're getting there incrementally. And you need to focus on event and bonus crew when they are announced.

I was in your same shoes about a year ago. (I do recommend spending any bought or earned dilithium on shuttles and slots btw.)
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    It helps to have an addictive personality and spend way to much time monitoring it all. I almost cracked. The top 2000 on the last supply missions event, but at the expense of all the free time I had and some time I was supposed to be doing other stuff, not to mention the seven thousand chronitons I threw at it.

Good luck.
  • Options
    South of SuluSouth of Sulu ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    You simply do not have the crew level to compete. Your rank is pretty much what someone with that crew would achieve. If every single seat on your shuttle is not at least an immortalized 4* then you are not going to rank in the top 1000. L70 even L90 crew is useless. You have to grind out those last levels. Do not skip around. Pick your strongest crew in each skill (check the wiki) and grind them to L100.

As far as cost, the top 1000 is full of players who spend zero dollars on the game. Fully F2P. I am a monthly card player and do not buy event packs. I spend the week leveling the 4* I just won in the previous event. For the upcoming event I just roll with whatever bonus crew I have or have pulled from the Vault. I don’t spending any money power leveling crew.

If I have someone sitting around unleveled that I need for the coming event there are enough resources within the week to level the crew without spending,

You need to get into a good fleet ASAP. DB has altered the game in such a way with Starbases that placing in an event is impossible without a fleet (assuming you just don’t buy your way in). Starbases increases your crew stats.

Bluntly I know your fleet is lacking because a good fleet would have told you all of this already. If you like you fleetmates then try to merge with another fleet.

All the boost advice is great, and you will need those too but not until you fix your crew problems and to lessor extent get your Starbases leveled.
  • Options
    Capt AjammCapt Ajamm ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    You simply do not have the crew level to compete. Your rank is pretty much what someone with that crew would achieve. If every single seat on your shuttle is not at least an immortalized 4* then you are not going to rank in the top 1000. L70 even L90 crew is useless. You have to grind out those last levels. Do not skip around. Pick your strongest crew in each skill (check the wiki) and grind them to L100.

As far as cost, the top 1000 is full of players who spend zero dollars on the game. Fully F2P. I am a monthly card player and do not buy event packs. I spend the week leveling the 4* I just won in the previous event. For the upcoming event I just roll with whatever bonus crew I have or have pulled from the Vault. I don’t spending any money power leveling crew.

If I have someone sitting around unleveled that I need for the coming event there are enough resources within the week to level the crew without spending,

You need to get into a good fleet ASAP. DB has altered the game in such a way with Starbases that placing in an event is impossible without a fleet (assuming you just don’t buy your way in). Starbases increases your crew stats.

Bluntly I know your fleet is lacking because a good fleet would have told you all of this already. If you like you fleetmates then try to merge with another fleet.

All the boost advice is great, and you will need those too but not until you fix your crew problems and to lessor extent get your Starbases leveled.

Completely agree!
    I pretty much gave identical advice to my squadmate who used to be in the 10k rankings. Currently @#223 in this event. Spends zero $$ on game except monthly.
    ~ seeking out new life
  • Options
    I'll echo what others have said: 4 shuttles, kick start, alarm overnight, Thursday cadet missions, level event crew.

Also, don't dilute your resources by going all out on every event. Maybe pick 1 a month. That way you'll have an ample supply of boosts and sorrytons when you need them - without spending money.
  • Options

Mirror Uhura L70 4/4
    Mirror Picard L40 2/5

The following are my other Mirror crew -
    Mirror Phlox L100 4/4
    Mirror Kirk L100 FE 2/5
    Mirror Sato L80 4/4
    Mirror Tucker L80 3/4

Oh, did I mention that obtaining resources has become an exercise in futility. I must have a gazillion (no, not really) 5-star crew that has been waiting for the mothership to land bringing with it some much needed resources?

I am around 2k position, and I have:
    3/5 L100 Mirror Picard
    FF L100 Tuskeege Mayweather
    2 4* FF L100 and 1 2/5 Beverly Crusher
    Around 16-20 Mirror Crew mostly all FF and L100!

And still 2k position with 0 Dilithium usage.
    I have been fastly progressing with crew leveling since Voyages started, that's why I have so many Inmortalized crew, apart that I've been playing for almost 2 years, the question here is, how much Dilithium are you willing to invest to get to the top and when! Why when? Because spending Dilithium (that's a synonim for money) should only be done when you have a correctly leveled crew so you know that shuttle that you hurry will be successful! ;-)
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    2x 4/5 Picard (one shared) FE
    4/4 Uhura FE
    1/5 Crusher FE

Dr. Crusher 4/4 FE
    Doc Crusher 2/4 FE
    Tuskasqueegie Mayweather 4/4 FE

Kirk 1/5 FE
    Red 1/5 FE
    Bashir 1/5 FE
    Data 1/5 FE
    Sato 4/4 FE
    K’ehleyr 4/4 FE
    Jennifer Sisko 4/4 FE
    Jadzia Dax 4/4 FE
    Archer 4/4 FE
    Garak 2/4 FE
    Tucker 4/4 FE
    Phlox 2/4 FE
    Vic Fontaine 4/4 FE

So far I’ve gotten extra stars to complete Sato, Tucker and Uhura who have been stuck at 2/4 stars for a long time. Been in top 1000 for both previous events and managed to FE all the characters (1/5 or 4/4) received so far.

Currently sitting at 250 or so in rankings. Monthly card player but I pulled a Crusher for 650 DIL this event just for fun. So likely will end up with 4/4 Mayweather and another star for Crusher.

Every shuttle has one event crew. All the other 8 spots are bonus crew (4 shuttles running the three slot missions). Boosted success rate for all four shuttles is over 90%.

Basically I finish top 1000 in almost all events, galaxy, faction or hybrid. VIP 7 so other than a few 10x10 offers, only have paid for monthly card. The strategies listed above are all sound. Need to max event crew for faction to do well.