Home The Bridge
Options

Reflections, compensations, consequences

Iknamur_Iknamur_ ✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in The Bridge
DB, the recent "Reflections" event was your worst screw up so far. It started with the server problem which is the worst thing that can happen during a faction event, then it was the ending day mess up which made people regret they invested time in the faction part (you could probably imagine that many players can't really spend much time playing on Christmas day) and then the idea of giving us additional tickets, to make things even worse. I don't know who's idea was that, but I would fire this brilliant mind first thing Tuesday morning because it was the element which blew everything up. It wasn't an event anymore, it became pure gambling.

The idea of compensation after a screw up is absolutely normal, but you have a very strange idea of making it happen. You give us sorrytons and/or more tickets to play, so that we spend even more time in the game to achieve our goals? That's not compensation, that's punishment. So you screw up (constantly) but we are the ones being punished? Something is wrong here.

I assume there will be a huge amount of tickets after this event because people will ask for a 1/5 Crusher or some copies of Mayweather and you will have to accommodate all of them. But that won't be enough after the magnitude of your screw up. This is the kind of action that must attract free DILITHIUM as proper compensation and I think 1250 would be the correct number (why 1250? because that's how many sorrytons you gave us Thursday). First thing tomorrow, to everybody who played this event. Without additional tickets, without additional questions.

And this should not be just for this event. You screw up almost every week: wrong traits for nodes, event crew not getting the right bonuses, servers down, wrong threshold prizes (bad copy-pastes), countless typos. Then you apologize, give us some free sorrytons and move on, so you constantly punish us for your incomprehensible screw ups. DB, STOP giving us sorrytons and start giving us free DILITHIUM, because this is what would affect your pockets and it's the only thing that will make you responsible, which you obviously are not. This would be a real consequence for your lack of responsibility. Want to earn money? Do things well. Continue to screw up? Pay for it. It's simple.

Event crew not getting the proper bonus? 1250 free dilithium. Wrong number of points for a cleared node? 1250 free dilithium. Crew art showing a huge head instead of a normal one? 1250 free dilithium. Server down? 1250 free dilithium. This will probably improve you as a company, the game itself and our experience as players.

Start doing things right and we might postpone the new "Do Better" action that everybody knows it's coming. The first step will be to give us free dilithium after this screw up and spend this week wisely, so that we might have a proper end-of-the-year event, in spite of all the non-canon crew that another brilliant mind came up with. Oh, and something else because we know you don't anticipate things. After you give us free dilithium tomorrow be sure to extend the sales period. And hire a quality manager for god's sake!

This is, obviously, not spam. Your additional 6 event tickets were, though...

Comments

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually the extra tickets helped me get the Defiant.....
  • Options
    The last time DB seriously annoyed me I stopped all expenditure on the game including buying monthly cards. When they messed up the ads, I stopped watching ads too. When they fixed various problems in the last update, I bought another monthly card (though at the moment I doubt I'll be renewing it when it ends). I cannot see DB volunteering to give out Dilithium when they get things wrong. I'm afraid if we want to create a financial incentive for DB to get things right we need to do it ourselves.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep same, but I do wish they'd just cancel/postpone the whole damn thing.
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see why others were upset about the burden of the tickets, but I enjoyed them. Even with Christmas, family, meals, movies and more, I had more time available to play the expedition than if I was at work. Used them all playing in ten and fifteen minute chunks throughout Saturday and managed to get the new threshold rewards and hold my rank from the faction portion. If anything, it saved me some dil from the 1-3 tickets/day I would have bought and we finished on Monday as in a normal event. Glad to have expedition again even with the glitches.
  • Options
    I would say that everyone who bought an event pack should be paid with an apology and a free Event Crusher. Those who have already FFFE'd her, should be given a token to get a 1/5 of their choice. I support the OP's assertion of the DIL, but that is not going to happen. But I have bought my last thing from DB, and since I have 3 game accounts running, that is a guaranteed $12 a month lost (3 monthly cards). It may not be much, but if others start to do the same thing, it will become a lot.
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

And helped me finish in the top 1000 without spending dilithium on tickets.
  • Options
    Personally I thought the 6 extra tickets and 4500 honour as well was adequate compensation
  • Options
    I too don't fully agree with the OP, but I do feel a little put out by DB's complete lack of care, thought or effort in relation to this event. I understand it's the holidays, but not bothering to test the event prior to release is inexcusable. And typical!

After laying off many staff (right-sizing!!!!) I assume now that there is simply no quality control, just copy-and-paste and release onto the players. Not release to the players, but onto the players, as sending us something that doesn't work is at best an insult.

After improving my personal performance in recent events, and looking forward to the lesser-spotted expedition event I was entering the in-game festive period with excitement and renewed vigour for the game. That DB inexplicably punished those of us who have other commitments over this season is worrying. I'm really pleased for those who managed to take advantage of the extra tickets, but it was only beneficial to those who could play and worsened an already bad situation for those of us who couldn't.

Will so little thought go into future events/releases?
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam
  • Options
    NoneNone ✭✭✭
    What gets me is that they nerfed the chronitons in voyages because of balancing issues, then give them out when there’s an issue. I wish they would give out something different. All those sorryton messages are just piling up in my mailbox, waiting there for a day that will probably never come when I need them.
  • Options

I agree! There was no way for me to obtain the defiant!
  • Options
    barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put in a ticket when I first noticed the issue with the busted node. They responded today with 200 chronitons as compensation. I'm OK with that, honestly. I wasn't really expecting anything to begin with. I was happy to get the honor before, and like others said, I would have never gotten the Defiant without the extra tickets.
  • Options
    Extra day? I logged on yesterday to do the event, and it was over already? What extra day are people talking about?
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extra day? I logged on yesterday to do the event, and it was over already? What extra day are people talking about?

The event was supposed to run an extra day (normally events end on Monday, but this one was to end on Tuesday), until 12:00pm ET on 12/26

DB screwed up so instead the event only ran until 12:00pm ET on 12/25
  • Options
    Those 6 tickets were the gift of having to spend another 2+ hours extra grinding to stay competitive. To be honest, I just gave up at that point. 15 total tickets, at least 20 minutes a ticket, makes for 5-6 hours of time over 48 very busy hours. No thank you.
  • Options
    UnkieB wrote: »

The event was supposed to run an extra day (normally events end on Monday, but this one was to end on Tuesday), until 12:00pm ET on 12/26

DB screwed up so instead the event only ran until 12:00pm ET on 12/25

I know it was supposed to run until today, but ended Xmas at noon instead. That was why I was surprised yesterday when I logged in at 1pm to start playing the event but found it ended the hour before. But I didn't get extra tickets or honor. And what would extra tickets do when the event had already ended?
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    The extra tickets and honor were sent out as in game messages the first day of the event. If you didn't get them I guess a support ticket is in order? The tickets won't do you any good now, but you can leave them unclaimed for the next expedition event whenever that may be.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I don't complain about DB much, however this weekend's event was a big hot mess.

Going in we are all told this will be the Holiday longest duration event, with more prizes massaged in for the longer time-frame.

Well, it ended up being the shortest duration event I've ever taken part in, with the servers crashing right out of the gate + losing the extra day after the Holiday (that I could have actually played).

I got a half dozen extra tickets that I did not even have time to use (with the event ending smack-dab in the middle of Christmas day, additional family being over and whatnot).

To those who did earn the I.S.S. Defiant, congratulations it's well-earned, you did deserve it, a lot of grinding to get to it, no doubt.
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    There was no extra day. They said there was going to be initially and then they took it back.
  • Options
    IcebergDXIcebergDX ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Going in we are all told this will be the Holiday longest duration event, with more prizes massaged in for the longer time-frame.

Well, it ended up being the shortest duration event I've ever taken part in, with the servers crashing right out of the gate + losing the extra day after the Holiday (that I could have actually played).

To those who did earn the I.S.S. Defiant, congratulations it's well-earned, you did deserve it, a lot of grinding to get to it, no doubt.

Nothing like a little bit of good old fashioned false advertising due to a double helping of incompetence.

And for those who ground out the Defiant, good on you, just think how much better your weekend might have been if they had done the job right the first time.
  • Options

And helped me finish in the top 1000 without spending dilithium on tickets.

me too! 570 without spending an immense amount of dilithium. (save for getting crusher)
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

Me too - I would never have got the Defiant otherwise, even with the extra day.

Sure, there were some screw ups this event, and I don't feel the 6 tickets was the right idea, but beyond that, I'm not really sure what you're expecting. I can't see any reason why they'd ever give dilithium as compensation.

Korrin

Which "Extra day"?!?!? They cut it off a DAY EARLY
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    bowdybowdy ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I too like MattDecker above was planning to grind the last bit on the 26th, not on Christmas day. I can only imagine his frustration having bought the event pack only to be slapped in the face. I'm just glad I didn't buy it or would be equally as frustrated.

They should have given 250k vp to everyone, so that those who would have ordinarily been able to obtain 750k would be able to do so without all that additional grinding on Christmas day. Of all days to end an event.

And those that wouldn't have been able to obtain it, would have had a better chance.

It created an unequal contest, through no fault of the players. The unequal contest of those with plans, and those who had none. I barely managed to grab the top 1k myself, and usually I'm in the top 200.

How was this compensation for players who were unable to use the extra tickets because of the additional 24hrs they were expecting was denied them?
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    bowdy wrote: »
    How was this compensation for players who were unable to use the extra tickets because of the additional 24hrs they were expecting was denied them?

It absolutely was NOT
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?