Home Fleet Central
Options

What is biggest reason you have for leaving any fleet ?

edited January 2018 in Fleet Central

What is biggest reason you have for leaving any fleet ? 123 votes

Not Enough Active Members
37% 46 votes
Inactive Squadron Leaders
8% 10 votes
Inactive Admiral/ Fleet Leader
15% 19 votes
Low Level Starbase
4% 5 votes
Fleet Requires You to Join Groupme, Line App or other outside chat group
14% 18 votes
Fleet members don't seem to be pulling their weight to upgrade starbase
13% 16 votes
Looking for fleet that assigns or rotates squadron leaders based on their ability to provide shared crew during events where applicable
7% 9 votes

Comments

• Options
    I recently joined my first fleet after over a year in the game and specificslly avioded any fleets requiring a separate chat app.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, Steeler Nation will never require you to join any outside chat group or assign homework... ;)

Oh, and look, we're currently recruiting... how about that?
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    For what it's worth, Steeler Nation will never require you to join any outside chat group or assign homework... ;)

Oh, and look, we're currently recruiting... how about that?

Subtle...
  • Options
    @Shy Khan
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm a Habs fan, and I'll have to pass for now. Hope you find the football fan you're looking for. ;)
  • Options
    @Stormagedon
    I think you have the wrong avatar. :)

dc2gsd7rqb07.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Britewood wrote: »
    Temporal Defense Initiative as just recently started requiring Discord for one reason and one reason only, In-game chat is unreliable!

We used to only ask that Captains are active daily but with the poor notifications of new messages in-game resulting in Captains not seeing communications we just can't be an effective fleet without a reliable method of communicating.

That said we don't require Captains to be actively chatting in Discord, we just ask that they join and read the conversations threads.

Fleets are designed so groups of Captains can work together and if captains cannot see messages to know what everyone is working on then a fleet becomes ineffective.

It is sad that many fleets are having to move to an external communication system but if Captains wanting to be part of a fleet and benefit from it are not willing to install a free application to improve the fleets effectiveness then the next fleet they leave will probably be due to Fleet inactivity....

Most of our Captains like using Discord for many reasons, most of these are what makes a fleet even better.
    1. Quick responses to Behold help request
    2. Reliable place to ask for assistance with leveling
    3. Post of tips and tricks to help with event
    4. Coordination of squads to cater to Captains level of interest in event.
    5. and more...

If the 50 of you like using Discord, knock yourselves out / more power to you.

IMO it just seems a little too-draconian to me requiring Captains to use Discord/Line/Whatever or you are out of the Fleet/Kicked (IMO at least), after all it is just a game.

What's your Fleet Rank like after using Discord?

Peace/LLAP
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai
  • Options

IMO it just seems a little fascist to me requiring Captains to use Discord/Line/Whatever or you out of the Fleet (IMO at least), after all it is just a game.

Peace/LLAP

We just changed the requirement, so I can tell you what the rank change is before and after since we haven't even gone through an event after the change. But honestly our goal for the fleet is not fleet rank. Its benefiting our Captains...

Like I said we didn't require Discord and I would be fine never requiring captains to use it if the ingame chat was more reliable. In the beginning I was against even using external communications outside the game. But if your trying to be productive as a fleet meaning Captains need to contribute to the fleet not having a reliable communications is detrimental.

Yes it is a game, don't really think it is Fascist to require Discord, but feel how you want, your welcome to not join the Fleet or any of them at all for that matter.

IMO not being willing to join Discord\Line\Whatever could be egocentric and doesn't quite fit the purpose of joining a Fleet anyways.

In the end I think it ends up being what is the goal of the Fleet? I want the fleet to benefit the Captains, help them grow, to be successful in Events\Gauntlet\Arena and so on. Captains willing to work together, contribute to Starbase, switch Squads around to fit how they would like to participate etc. Captains not willing to do this I am more than happy to give the boot to go find another fleet.

“Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” "Or the one."
    Admiral Christopher Pike
    Joint Fleets
    Temporal Defense Initiative (TDI)
    Deep Space Armada (DSA)
    Temporal Defense Initiative 2 (TDI2)

Discord Server
  • Options
    Final Directive is accepting players. No outside chat required. Good for those who like to play but are not aggressive players. My adult son is disabled and loves the game. Some days he plays a lot, other days his disability keeps him from playing as much as he would like. Final Directive is a great place for casual players.
  • Options
    I will never ask my fleet members to use an outside chat app and we rank quite well without it. The only real problems with the in-game chat are how limited it is when scrolling up and that messages to individuals are unreliable. Fleet, officer and squad channels are always there but private chats randomly disappear before being read. That's annoying.
  • Options
    The only real problems with the in-game chat are how limited it is when scrolling up and that messages to individuals are unreliable. Fleet, officer and squad channels are always there but private chats randomly disappear before being read. That's annoying.

This and with notifications of new messages not showing up for several of our Captain is the only reason we moved to using Discord. I have an open support ticket on this issue with screen grabs of conversations and from other captains in the fleet thanks to discord showing this happening.

We even have the disappearing issue with Fleet Officer and Squad Channels.

We held out for a year using ingame chat. We finally gave up waiting for this feature to be fixed.

Other games I have played it keeps the chat history. You can scroll up, when you hit what is loaded it pulls from the server the next several messages and you can read several days of messages. At least that way there is no excuse for players saying I didn't see the message. But that is not the case with STT chat. You just can't rely on it.
    Admiral Christopher Pike
    Joint Fleets
    Temporal Defense Initiative (TDI)
    Deep Space Armada (DSA)
    Temporal Defense Initiative 2 (TDI2)

Discord Server
  • Options
    It's just one of those things that should be an easy fix... well, it should have been right from the start... that isn't a priority for DB.
  • Options
    but the ingame chat lets you click on people's avatars and see their ships n crew stuff. It's super important...

SSR Noob
    Spoiler of spoils
  • Options
    I think the best reason for leaving any fleet is to join Task Force April. Coincidentally, we have a slot open right now, so by all means...
    First Officer - Task Force April
    Squadron Leader - [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs
  • Options
    I think the best reason for leaving any fleet is to join Task Force April. Coincidentally, we have a slot open right now, so by all means...

I had to "Awesome" your post. Couldn't help it.
  • Options

I had to "Awesome" your post. Couldn't help it.

1h26emt17pyx.png
    First Officer - Task Force April
    Squadron Leader - [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs
  • Options
    Temporal Defense Initiative as just recently started requiring Discord for one reason and one reason only, In-game chat is unreliable!

*nods*
    It is sad that many fleets are having to move to an external communication system but if Captains wanting to be part of a fleet and benefit from it are not willing to install a free application to improve the fleets effectiveness then the next fleet they leave will probably be due to Fleet inactivity....

Recently I caved too and require to at least be on Discord (though not required to actively chat), as in-game private messages simply do not make it through. Without Discord, there is no way for captains to give a heads up that they're going on vacation, or aren't able to access they game. Otherwise we're left to keep ghosts making holes in the fleet, or risk booting nice captains whose messages just didn't go through.

While I'm happy to take care of a fleet as best I can, I'm still playing the game for fun. That's no fun.

IMO it just seems a little too-draconian to me requiring Captains to use Discord/Line/Whatever or you are out of the Fleet/Kicked (IMO at least), after all it is just a game.

Peace/LLAP

Knock yourself out / more power to you if it sounds like fun to (on top of other admiral stuff) not know whether someone's a ghost, locked out, or on an away mission and tried to let you know but the in-game message didn't go through. Or if newer captains who'd like some infos think you're ignoring them when their messages disappear.

IMO it just seems a little too unreasonable to require us to be in that position (IMO at least), after all it is just a game.

So count me in as a draconian fascist Mirror Admiral ForTheMany. ;)

Peace/LLAP tho.
  • Options
    @Stormagedon
    I think you have the wrong avatar. :)

dc2gsd7rqb07.jpg

Thanks, I needed that!
  • Options
    While the in-game chat notifcations are unreliable the messages are still there. All a player has to do is check the chat channels whether there's a notification showing or not.

It's easy to do and requires not third party app.
  • Options
    I could show many examples of where messages do not show up in in-game chat. Plus it only shows about the last 10 messages. If a message was posted before that, you never see it. The Colonial Fleet Ohio uses LINE but members are not required to use it as long as they check in from time to time. Most of us feel it makes the game better. I, for one, might not still be playing if it weren't for the friendships I have built in the fleet.
  • Options
    While the in-game chat notifcations are unreliable the messages are still there. All a player has to do is check the chat channels whether there's a notification showing or not.

It's easy to do and requires not third party app.

The messages aren't still there for me. They really just disappear, especially the private messages. Even in fleet chat, every day I see people saying things which appear out of context - because other messages don't show up until I restart the game. And when I restart the game, all private chat history disappears. Even messages I take time to write on the slow horizontal interface often don't show up when I press send, and I can't even copy them just in case.

I have no idea who has sent me what or when, or which of my messages have gone through or not.

It's really, utterly broken for me and I can't take care of this fleet with it.
  • Options
    Heh. I could have sworn they fixed it a few weeks ago because private chats did disappear and, for me at least, they now stay for almost a day no matter how many times I log in and out.
  • Options
    This became a recruiting thread rofl
  • Options
    @Stormagedon
    You're welcome!
  • Options
    Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭

You forgot two choices, Fleet was full of jerks; and Fleet was cheating by swapping players to push one squad.

• Options
    Hi there. I created my own fleet - “Made only for the reward”. I’m slowly building up the starbase and I’m realizing that it’s too slow. Should I open it up to other players, or leave my own fleet to join another? Issue is I’m a casual player, and don’t want to be social in this game, just play a little bit each day. Any advise?
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open it up. Lots of people want a laid-back fleet. Advertise it that way. You'll never win, but you'll get your bonuses.