Home The Bridge

When is DB going to comply with Apple's requirement to reveal odds on loot boxes?

2»

Comments

• Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    The above estimations are correct. I will start my sentence with the disclaimer that I am not an employee, investor or agent of DB or any of their funding partners - I am not privy to exact numbers nor am I making this public estimation as any reflection of the actual financial status of the game or company and it's stakeholders.

Now.

Every dollar spent today, from a US based player, ends up with likely $0.08 - $0.10 profit for DB. about $0.90 of each dollar is spent to various costs from the App Platform itself (Apple for example) to the license granter (CBS) to the overhead (Boston Offices, employee salaries, insurance, 401k) to outside consulting fees (translations, advertising) to past development costs that are still baked in.

Now if one assumes the made up number of $20,000 a day in revenue for the game, then good 'ol DB made $1700ish that day.

That's just over half a million a year in profit.

Not exactly the 'dump truck full of money' analogy. However, it is still profitable and thus the doors remain open. Once that pendulum swings in the opposite direction, then it's time to enter the auto-destruct sequence and head for the lifeboats.
  • The above estimations are correct. I will start my sentence with the disclaimer that I am not an employee, investor or agent of DB or any of their funding partners - I am not privy to exact numbers nor am I making this public estimation as any reflection of the actual financial status of the game or company and it's stakeholders.

Now.

Every dollar spent today, from a US based player, ends up with likely $0.08 - $0.10 profit for DB. about $0.90 of each dollar is spent to various costs from the App Platform itself (Apple for example) to the license granter (CBS) to the overhead (Boston Offices, employee salaries, insurance, 401k) to outside consulting fees (translations, advertising) to past development costs that are still baked in.

Now if one assumes the made up number of $20,000 a day in revenue for the game, then good 'ol DB made $1700ish that day.

Not exactly the 'dump truck full of money' analogy. However, it is still profitable and thus the doors remain open. Once that pendulum swings in the opposite direction, then it's time to enter the auto-destruct sequence and head for the lifeboats.

Oh Frank, I was with you until you said "lifeboats". It's escape pods, dude. :wink:

But the fact still remains, everyone VIP 13+ could have bought a brand new console and a handful of games for less than what we've spent on STT alone. And guess what???... You get to keep and play your console after a game company goes boobs up.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    C6pilot wrote: »
    The above estimations are correct. I will start my sentence with the disclaimer that I am not an employee, investor or agent of DB or any of their funding partners - I am not privy to exact numbers nor am I making this public estimation as any reflection of the actual financial status of the game or company and it's stakeholders.

Now.

Oh Frank, I was with you until you said "lifeboats". It's escape pods, dude. :wink:

But the fact still remains, everyone VIP 13+ could have bought a brand new console and a handful of games for less than what we've spent on STT alone. And guess what???... You get to keep and play your console after a game company goes boobs up.

Though typically no new content is ever added to those console games either.

I'll never forget spending 49.95 on Master of Orion III, beating it on "Impossible" with two different races on the first day and getting pretty pissed. (Especially when one of their forum admins called me a liar.)

Some folks made that game 'playable' by hacking it.. .lol. Player mods to make it 'playable'.
  • Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭

You are almost completely correct. That terminology would only be valid if you were serving aboard the U.S.S. Titanic.

I assume 24th Century Starfleet has the USS Titanic.
  • C6pilot wrote: »

You are almost completely correct. That terminology would only be valid if you were serving aboard the U.S.S. Titanic.

"Let's say you're shopping at Kmart for a lifeboat..."
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Let's say you're shopping at Kmart for a lifeboat..."

Ha! NNNOOOO not that again!
  • EtienneEtienne ✭✭✭

Now.

I think that you maybe a bit low. I couldn't find a net worth on the company and I didn't want to spend hours searching just to win an internet argument :)

Disruptor Beam

Revenue $10 to $25 million (USD) per year

Source: https://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Disruptor-Beam-EI_IE558411.11,25.htm
  • Guest Guest  ✭✭✭
    Etienne wrote: »

Now.

I think that you maybe a bit low. I couldn't find a net worth on the company and I didn't want to spend hours searching just to win an internet argument :)

Disruptor Beam

Revenue $10 to $25 million (USD) per year

Source: https://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Disruptor-Beam-EI_IE558411.11,25.htm

Note that top line revenue does not include any of the items that Frank mentioned (platform, license fees, overhead, etc). Without knowing those numbers, it is hard to judge the profit margin that DB may (or may not) be generating. I have to assume that the license fees alone would be huge.
  • Dralix wrote: »
    Honest question for any Apple user who cares to answer - what changes or official word have you seen from other games?

Could someone explain why "100% chance of a Super-Rare or Ledgendary with every 10x Premium Pull purchase" does not comply with Apple's TOS? That is effectively what DB claim/guaranties now. BTW I'm on Android.
    Dralix wrote: »
    Honest question for any Apple user who cares to answer - what changes or official word have you seen from other games?

Could someone explain why "100% chance of a Super-Rare or Ledgendary with every 10x Premium Pull purchase" does not comply with Apple's TOS? That is effectively what DB claim/guaranties now. BTW I'm on Android.

Great point

• [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭

Great point

90% chance it's coffee Janeway
    [BL] Q wrote: »

Great point

For me it’s 90% chance of Racquetball Bashir

• [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭

Great point

100% schems for ships you've maxed

Great point

95% chance of buyers remorse

• [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭

Great point

95% chance of buyers remorse

67% chance of an Apple refund
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I think you're right there JeanLucKirk there's constant changes and additions to the game, licensing fees, weekly events. I think their overheads are higher than most. Sure, they'll be making decent money but they do put a fair bit of work in to make it happen.

That is, of course, a different issue to loot boxes. I wouldn't mind knowing the odds because it may change my purchases from one area to another, I would also like to know WHO exactly is in the portal and who isn't, because that also makes a difference to how I purchase. This is very important as shown last year when some crew were definitely not being dropped yet DB said they were. I think there might be a few crew not dropping when players are hoping that they might.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Assuming the loot tables are correct,they are around 10%..
    Given computerized RNG, that 10% can vary from 9 to 100 without a crit
  • EtienneEtienne ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    If I was DB I would simply take all the "loot box" imagery out of the game and rename "premium rewards, Basic rewards etc... to Premium/basic card packs then it takes the question of it be gambling off the table and makes it no more then buying a pack of baseball cards. You can't be mad if there isn't a rookie card in every pack. Frankly If I was DB,I'd offer the individual cards just by themselves along side the packs for like 50$ for the 5* and 25$ for the 4*s that way people have a choice of buying the cheaper packs and getting what you get or buying the more expensive guaranteed card.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

The standard premium portal might. But what about "best chance of" packs? The advertised crew are available at an unknown chance. And there is still no confirmation about chance of legendary in a pack(even if it's commonly assumed to be 10%).
  • EtienneEtienne ✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

The standard premium portal might. But what about "best chance of" packs? The advertised crew are available at an unknown chance. And there is still no confirmation about chance of legendary in a pack(even if it's commonly assumed to be 10%).

I would argue that it donen't need to comply if it was framed differently and DB cut out all these marketing gimmicks and ploys and realize that they already have a product that people want to buy and sell it as .... it is what it is.

In fact, I would argue that their marketing is actually hurting the sale of their product because people are waking away feeling tricked and ripped off and are less likely to buy it again. Like I said, they already have a good product that people want to buy... all the rest is unnecessary.
  • When, you ask?

4fgjfbxjnl20.png
    First Officer - Task Force April
    Squadron Leader - [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs
  • So Apple's TOS requires a loot box odds table completed for all combinations like a lottery?
    For example:
    "Best of Chance theme Pack 10x"
    3or more Ledgendaries 1 in 10,000
    2 Ledgendaries 1 in 5,000
    Theme Ledgendary 1 in 10
    1 Ledgendary 1 in 9.5
    3 or more Super Rares 1 in 2,500
    2 Super Rares 1 in 250
    Theme Super Rare 1 in 1.1

While I would love something like this, I doubt the Apple TOS is that detailed/strict.
  • So Apple's TOS requires a loot box odds table completed for all combinations like a lottery?
    For example:
    "Best of Chance theme Pack 10x"
    3or more Ledgendaries 1 in 10,000
    2 Ledgendaries 1 in 5,000
    Theme Ledgendary 1 in 10
    1 Ledgendary 1 in 9.5
    3 or more Super Rares 1 in 2,500
    2 Super Rares 1 in 250
    Theme Super Rare 1 in 1.1

While I would love something like this, I doubt the Apple TOS is that detailed/strict.

Developer can post anything they want, but how players or Apple can confirm that number is correct?

Or how it is distribution are ok (not based on algorithm that ‘force’ certain players to spend more to get them)?

At the end, it is all just things they all do to calm players down without significant impact to players, and that’s all.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Etienne wrote: »
    AviTrek wrote: »

I would argue that it donen't need to comply if it was framed differently and DB cut out all these marketing gimmicks and ploys and realize that they already have a product that people want to buy and sell it as .... it is what it is.

In fact, I would argue that their marketing is actually hurting the sale of their product because people are waking away feeling tricked and ripped off and are less likely to buy it again. Like I said, they already have a good product that people want to buy... all the rest is unnecessary.

This game has been designed for churn and burn from the start. Plenty of players burn out, but plenty of new players sign up and throw money at those Best Chance packs before learning better. Some leave, but other stay and continue to buy other packs. Would they be better off trying to keep more players instead of churn/burn, maybe, but we'd need to see their numbers to know for sure. Instead I will assume they've optimized to maximize their profits based on the data they see.
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the first game in a decade I've played every day and my xp is short of level 70 I think I was that in three weeks playing SWGOH not that it matters much if your captain level is 30 or 99