Home The Bridge
Options

Art Issues Redux: The EV Suit Archer Edition

[DC] Principia[DC] Principia ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in The Bridge
I love Archer, always happy to see more of him in the game.

However, this art is a perfect example of multiple items on the "please stop doing these things" list DB asked us for after the Mirror Data foolishness.

1. Looks like a cut and paste of the face used on North Star Archer and COP Founder Archer.

2. Face looks cut and pasted as it is too big for the head in the illustration.

3. The cut and pasted face isn't at the rotation/angle it would be for the direction the head is facing!

I don't know whether this was an attempt to fix a face that was at Mirror Data level of wrong, or was originally drawn with a very different expression (due to source episode context), or whether the artist even tried to draw the face at all versus bumming it off some other existing piece.

This is not a sign of progress, and makes me think when Shan told us they would not be fixing existing art, that included art that they'd already "finished" but hadn't been released into crew yet.

I hate to say it, but DB, you have to go back to the drawing board, especially for characters you're positioning as chase crew.

Comments

• Options
    Noticed this too. Eagerly waiting for the gif of transition between the 3 :smiley:
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, to me the three look different, but maybe I'm just dense to this kind of detail
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed.

I was kinda hoping they would graft Ushaan Archer's Head onto EV Suit Tucker's body.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I compared him to mirror archer (the worst artwork here, in my opinion) and thought that it at least looks like Archer.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just goes to show the lack of love for Archer. That’s like 3 or 4 now with the exact same head. It’s getting ridiculous
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Just goes to show the lack of love for Archer. That’s like 3 or 4 now with the exact same head. It’s getting ridiculous

Maybe Bakula's "people" won't approve any new head shots. ;):D
  • Options
    I compared him to mirror archer (the worst artwork here, in my opinion) and thought that it at least looks like Archer.
    Mirror Archer, the anamorphic squish to fit an incompatible pose into the space provided messed up the art. The look on his face is right, though they didn't give him Mirror Archer's flattop buzzcut. Wish that problems like those were still the worst in the game!
  • Options
    UnkieB wrote: »

Maybe Bakula's "people" won't approve any new head shots. ;):D

I hope my conjecture above about them deciding to change what expression they wanted is correct. If the art had originally been sourced from an episode where Archer was in distress/agitated and DB decided to make him more generic than that (trying to avoid being spoilery about particular episodes), I can see why they would want a more relaxed/friendly face... but it wasn't implemented correctly, regardless.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    UnkieB wrote: »
    nv4gciixtm49.jpg

So now I see what they were going for. Still a horrible shot to begin with.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone got EV Suit Archer? Now I’m curious if it’s the standard Archer head on EV Suit Tucker’s body
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    223dqn43op9n.gif

So the new one IS different lol
  • Options
    I, and no one I know has pulled him yet
  • Options
    I have him, i'm trying to post enough so i can post a picture of him :D
  • Options

I see you posted his stats in another thread, can you post his Traits?
  • Options

Human, Starfleet, Pilot, Explorer, Desperate, Jury Rigger, Hero.
  • Options

Human, Starfleet, Pilot, Explorer, Desperate, Jury Rigger, Hero.

That definitely sounds like this was originally sourced from one of a couple of episodes... in which case hanging out chill face doesn't really jibe with the traits.
  • Options
    Since you are trying to inflate your post count - please revel us with the tale of what happened to your companion - the right nut?

Many moons ago in a time that is all but forgotten by man we both stood on the pinnacle of creation, side by side. Right and I were inseparable, until one day our world was torn asunder by the anomaly. In the chaos of it all I lost Right while we were saving a group of orphans from a burning building, we managed to get all but one out. Right ran in to grab the last one even though it was by then far too late and the building was coming down, he tried.

I'm now searching the timelines for him once again because there must be a copy of him out there somewhere, and some good must come out of this crisis!

So, you're saying you're blue?
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you are trying to inflate your post count - please revel us with the tale of what happened to your companion - the right nut?

Many moons ago in a time that is all but forgotten by man we both stood on the pinnacle of creation, side by side. Right and I were inseparable, until one day our world was torn asunder by the anomaly. In the chaos of it all I lost Right while we were saving a group of orphans from a burning building, we managed to get all but one out. Right ran in to grab the last one even though it was by then far too late and the building was coming down, he tried.

I'm now searching the timelines for him once again because there must be a copy of him out there somewhere, and some good must come out of this crisis!

*applause*

In all seriousness...do they go out of their way to make Archer's art bad? There's so few versions of him in-game, and basically none look good. :(

Also, he looks 14. I'm not sure what episode this is from, but I don't recall any of the EV suit episodes featuring a particularly chill and boyish looking Archer.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was the one where they had a cloaked Romulan mine attached to the hull. And when there was the ship of dead crew that were having their fluids drained. But I’m pretty sure he was at least in his 40s for those episodes
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    There was the one where they had a cloaked Romulan mine attached to the hull. And when there was the ship of dead crew that were having their fluids drained. But I’m pretty sure he was at least in his 40s for those episodes

Those were the two I was thinking of...the cloaked Romulan mine episode also featured Archer having to deal with Reed having a breakdown and almost dying.

The fluid-draining one also featured "holy crap I'm outta here" Hoshi that he had to deal with. Plus creepy dead bodies.

So not only was he definitely not 14, he was also most certainly not that relaxed and suave looking.

And if it's not intended to be from a specific episode, why the "desperate" trait?

EDIT: With the "Jury Rigger" trait, the Romulan mine episode seems to fit. He definitely did not have that look on his face during that episode.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options

Those were the two I was thinking of...the cloaked Romulan mine episode also featured Archer having to deal with Reed having a breakdown and almost dying.

The fluid-draining one also featured "holy crap I'm outta here" Hoshi that he had to deal with. Plus creepy dead bodies.

So not only was he definitely not 14, he was also most certainly not that relaxed and suave looking.

And if it's not intended to be from a specific episode, why the "desperate" trait?

Mild Spoiler:

I'm guessing he was intended to be from Observer Effect, and then they changed their minds.
  • Options
    Came here looking to enjoy some flaming on this new and awful artwork - the reaction isn't nearly as bad as I thought. People are getting soft...
  • Options
    We’re just getting worked up...even water takes a few minutes to boil!
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options

Mild Spoiler:

I'm guessing he was intended to be from Observer Effect, and then they changed their minds.

But then why would he have Desperate and Jury Rigger as traits? I mean, desperate yes, but Jury Rigger? Also the most notable thing he did in the EV suit IIRC was deal with dead Hoshi. That is not the face of someone dealing with dead Hoshi.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
This discussion has been closed.