Home The Bridge
Options

Burnham overload.

Ok, so I know we make plenty of Janeway jokes because of how often she shows up, but she has nothing on Burnham.

We have a whopping 12 episodes of STD so far and 4 Burnham's already. AN appearance rate of 1 per 3 episodes.

That is just far to many, I have to suspect that DB is getting paid to promote STD or something.

Look at some of the other main characters:

Worf: 277 episodes and 4 movies: 10 Worf's so roughly 1 per 28 appearances.

Janeway: 170 episodes: 11 Janeways so one ever 15.5 or so.

Harry Kim: 176 episodes: 5 Kims one for every 35 episodes.

We have a number of main characters with fewer versions than of a brand new character without even a full season yet. Please no new Burnhams till at least season 2 (if then even)

Comments

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m no STD fan but I recognize that it’s the show currently running and the one that CBS will want promoted the most. As long as DB doesn’t forget about the other series entirely, I for one will be able to live with the heavy promotion of STD.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is just far to many, I have to suspect that DB is getting paid to promote STD or something.

DB payed so they can feature STD! Which from a business point of view makes sense. While the other series are still very much alive for us fans, in general they are dead and gone. While STD is "fresh meat" and Burnham the main character of the show. So it is normal that they focus on her...

• Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this rate we will have to get 'standing on the bridge Burnham', 'Looking inquisitive Burnham', and 'Poor Decision Burnham' because of so little source material.

I don't expect the 1 variant per 3 episodes to continue through a 5+ season run.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discovery is the new show, we have been waiting more than a decade for a new star trek show. Be happy. Watch the show and enjoy it. Or just watch the show so that ratings will be high and cbs will make more trek shows you might like better. You say there are four burnhams but lets look at this. The legendary first officer burnham was in a best chance pack that was only made available once that very few were able to get. Prisoner Burnham is a uncommon crew that was just thrown into an event to give people a new green uncommon crew and to go with the super rare graduation burnham for that event. The other super rare tactical michael burnham was part of the discovery event month at the end when people were rightfully angry that the main character of the newest trek show wasnt in any event and only in a best chance pack. So really there have only been two events with michael burnham, the main character of the newest star trek show that is currently going on. That is very reasonable.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    At this rate we will have to get 'standing on the bridge Burnham', 'Looking inquisitive Burnham', and 'Poor Decision Burnham' because of so little source material.

I don't expect the 1 variant per 3 episodes to continue through a 5+ season run.

After they make a Mirror Burnham (and perhaps a random 3* Burnham), she's probably stuck well behind Janeway till next season. There's seven seasons of Voyager to let Janeway strengthen her lead.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, so I know we make plenty of Janeway jokes because of how often she shows up, but she has nothing on Burnham.

We have a whopping 12 episodes of STD so far and 4 Burnham's already. AN appearance rate of 1 per 3 episodes.

We have a number of main characters with fewer versions than of a brand new character without even a full season yet. Please no new Burnhams till at least season 2 (if then even)

Lets look at a supporting character like Barclay. He has been in about the same number of episodes and he has two legendary cards and a super rare.

To claim that the main character of the currently active series is appearing too frequently when she has the same number of cards per episode as a bit character seems a bit odd
  • Options
    Better more Burnhams than anymore picards or datas
  • Options
    Brunt, FCABrunt, FCA ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Brunt, FCA wrote: »

I mean, she's the main character of a new, ongoing show.

I totally get that, but the vast majority of the characters of the game are from some rather memorable moments or because of some drastic change (like the barkley this week). At this rate we will have to get 'standing on the bridge Burnham', 'Looking inquisitive Burnham', and 'Poor Decision Burnham' because of so little source material.

Yeah I get that, and it does bother me a bit how someone like Quark only has four characters but one season wonder Ezri has four (I feel the same way about her having too many as you do with Burnham, and I loved Ezri). I doubt Burnham will have almost a dozen versions before the next season of Discovery starts-- although I won't be surprised if we get a Mirror one soon -- but they definitely want to milk her to an extent since it'd be in the best interest of the company. As far as whether they're being paid to promote it or if they think it's a good idea to capitalize on a new show, then I can't answer that. I'm thinking it's more the latter, though, with newcomers who just watched Discovery and etc.

At least she has a decent variety and isn't all 5*s (and her 5* wasn't exactly easy to get, as a lot of people complained about back then).
  • Options

Don't forget about "Ganglia-Munching Cannibal Burnham", followed by "I-Threw-Up-A-Little-Bit-In-My-Throat Burnham".
    In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"
  • Options
    I have to suspect that DB is getting paid to promote STD or something.)

That's adorable. I'm sure that DB would be very happy if that was the case.
    At most they get a discount.
    Captain Q wrote: »
    Don't forget about "Ganglia-Munching Cannibal Burnham"

... you might want to look up the definition of "cannibal" ;)
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    Captain Q wrote: »

Don't forget about "Ganglia-Munching Cannibal Burnham", followed by "I-Threw-Up-A-Little-Bit-In-My-Throat Burnham".

Isn't cannibalism the eating of your own species? So eating an alien would not qualify you!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

Marketing 101
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    RikerFan wrote: »
    Better more Burnhams than anymore picards or datas
    Boo to this!
    More Data and Picard! (Though maybe no more of either mirror version please.)
  • Options
    I'd be okay with it so long as it's a Medical Michael Burnham. We need more Med. Something rather higher than a sub 700 base.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Simple Fact: After seeing an Episode of Discovery I MUST have another Burnham :)
    So, what we really need are more Chars from Discovery. I do not want an ugly Barclay (no Money from me this week) - I want
    Mirror
    Chars from Discovery (would spend a lot)!
    Live long and prosper.
    Not a Native English speaker - be lenient toward me
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if DB is getting paid or otherwise has an incentive to promote ST Discovery, but it would make sense if they were. If this game had come out during Star Trek Enterprise's run, does anyone doubt there would have been more versions of Archer in the game? I have to say that Burnham is growing on me as a character. The new show revolves around her more than any previous Star Trek show revolved around a single character, with the possible exception of Kirk.

On the versions: "Tactical Burnham" felt like a bit of a stretch, but the others have all made sense to me and been reasonably well-executed, although with some "power creep." I fully expect we will eventually get EV Suit Burnham and Mirror Burnham in the near future. And frankly, I look forward to it.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    After discovery season ends it would be good for db to get some scotty, archer, and others overlooked worked in. But we do need some mirror disco crew first.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    After discovery season ends it would be good for db to get some scotty, archer, and others overlooked worked in. But we do need some mirror disco crew first.

Once the season is over, I'm looking forward to Offseason Burnham, Relaxing Burnham, Eating Burnham, 22nd Century Holodeck Burnham, Mirror Burnham, Age of Sail Burnham and the much anticipated 1701 Burnham.
    Immortalized: 465
    Tour of duty: January 2016 to present.
    Shut up Wesley.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for diversity sake I hope its not all Mikey from DSC. I mean I get the idea is to pretty much abandon the ensemble cast concept and just have a lead with everyone else supporting, but even if you like DSC, there's a lot of supporting cast to work through as well with variants, many of which have been suggested in different threads throughout the forums.

(And no I won't mention them so that the spoiler bats don't come out even with the spoiler tags.

I think DB has been doing pretty well balancing new show with legacy so far, their glaring omissions are ones they had prior to the new show.

What I'm hoping however, is that not all Megas are geared completely towards new works. Though the Mirror was Terran Empire, it really was just a comic tie in to the new work. Not that that is a bad thing, but Discovery and then it --- makes me wonder if all megas will have some new show, comic, book or some new work tie in. I think that would be a mistake.

Not that I think there should not be tie ins to new works, I just think it should not be done so exclusively.

• Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Just for diversity sake I hope its not all Mikey from DSC. I mean I get the idea is to pretty much abandon the ensemble cast concept and just have a lead with everyone else supporting, but even if you like DSC, there's a lot of supporting cast to work through as well with variants, many of which have been suggested in different threads throughout the forums.

(And no I won't mention them so that the spoiler bats don't come out even with the spoiler tags.

I think DB has been doing pretty well balancing new show with legacy so far, their glaring omissions are ones they had prior to the new show.

What I'm hoping however, is that not all Megas are geared completely towards new works. Though the Mirror was Terran Empire, it really was just a comic tie in to the new work. Not that that is a bad thing, but Discovery and then it --- makes me wonder if all megas will have some new show, comic, book or some new work tie in. I think that would be a mistake.

Not that I think there should not be tie ins to new works, I just think it should not be done so exclusively.

Yes well said Pallidyne. I agree.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    "There are four lights Burnhams!"
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brunt, FCA wrote: »

I mean, she's the main character of a new, ongoing show.

I totally get that, but the vast majority of the characters of the game are from some rather memorable moments or because of some drastic change (like the barkley this week). At this rate we will have to get 'standing on the bridge Burnham', 'Looking inquisitive Burnham', and 'Poor Decision Burnham' because of so little source material.

‘Bad Decision Burnham’ could be a character from literally every episode of Discovery released to date.

Lol that makes me think of Jason Ritters new show, about Kevin who might save the world...
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Good times, there will be plenty new DSC crew and plenty other versions of Burnham and other DSC characters within the nxt months.

No matter if you like it or not, it WILL happen. For obvious reasons. And as a sidenote, the fanbase of DSC is growing with every new episode. :p
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    CopperCopper ✭✭
    edited January 2018

It is definitely interesting to see someone use ratios for this analysis, but as others have mentioned already, there will DEFINITELY be more episodes featuring Burnham which will undoubtedly reduce this ratio.

Furthermore, if you are choosing to use the card/appearance ratio as an indicator of prominence, then you are forgetting to consider all the STT cards that are from single episode/movie appearances. For example, just in this current event alone, there is Dr. Gillian: 1 movie/1 card...... that is a whopping 1 to 1 ratio! But.....overall still only 1 card so that's not bad at all. 4 Burnham is not overkill at the moment....11 Burnhams like Janeway, then maybe?
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good times, there will be plenty new DSC crew and plenty other versions of Burnham and other DSC characters within the nxt months.

No matter if you like it or not, it WILL happen. For obvious reasons. And as a sidenote, the fanbase of DSC is growing with every new episode. :p

Are there Nielson or other numbers of the type for streaming?