Home Ready Room
Options

When is it better to behold or to cite?

So I know this is a bit of a depends on the circumstance sort of question. When is it better to pull a behold and when is it better to get an honorable citation? The trade off I am facing is roll the dice for a better character with a behold (or maybe hope for a hit on a character that I want to add a star to) or build the characters I have in a targeted way by spending a bit more by getting citations.

And is it better to spread the love by also using super rare citations/beholds or just to focus solely on legendary?

What I currently have is:

7 Legendary:
T'Kuvma 4*
Mobile Doctor 1*
Mirror Jean-Luc Picard 5*
Mariachi Q 1*
The Keeper 1*
Wlll Scarlett 1*
Scientist Degra 1*

50 - 60 Super Rare characters:
I've worked out which super rares are the best (using lvl 100 stats and do not airlock sheets - fantastic spreadsheets). I've built my super rare characters to spread fairly evenly across the skills (a bit week in Medicine). A whole load of the lower quality super rares are not developed at all and I will just chuck once something better comes along. Credits tend to limit my development of characters.

Rare and uncommon:
I am now at a stage where I have the bare minimum 2 stars I need for the cadet challenges. I have excess 3* characters ready to be frozen to make space but they are still kind of useful at the moment as I still have a lot of underdeveloped 4* characters.

My other stats:
My voyages get to the 6 hour mark half the time.
I'm usually top 25 on the gauntlet.
Christopher Nolm. Admiral of red pilled geeks. Take the red pill and join us.

Comments

• Options
    to be honest I'm in the same boat, In my opinion i would focus on getting the 4 super rares level up with citations so it will be easier to win shuttles and easier to get longer voyages which in turns helps with everything , I know this but I'm still going to buy the new person in the honor hall first and then focus on citations. I also would purchase the 3 pack with merits every so often as well.
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Mobile Doctor, Degra and Scarlett Worf are in the portal pool, they can drop in beholds. The Keeper hasn't been added yet, but will be. Same with Mariachi Q at some point, unless he is on the same "specialty" level as Convergence Day Quark. T'Kuvma is the best citation as he never drops in portals, because he is a Mega Event featured legendary character.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've purchased 4 or 5 legendary citations and about that many super-rare citations. On some characters (Kahless, Locutus) that's the only way to add stars. But I might spring for a behold next time, just for the fun of it. I don't have that many FF legendaries that I would be worried about getting three FF.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Mobile Doctor, Degra and Scarlett Worf are in the portal pool, they can drop in beholds. The Keeper hasn't been added yet, but will be. Same with Mariachi Q at some point, unless he is on the same "specialty" level as Convergence Day Quark. T'Kuvma is the best citation as he never drops in portals, because he is a Mega Event featured legendary character.

Thanks. Very helpful.

So are you saying it is better to get beholds unless you have a character that wont drop in a behold?
  • Options
    If you have room and resources for a new character, choose a behold. If you want to save a slot and make one of your current characters more powerful (hint: use the Wiki to see how much the stats improve), pick a citation. Probably the only way to get that last star on T'Kuvma.
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    If you have room and resources for a new character, choose a behold. If you want to save a slot and make one of your current characters more powerful (hint: use the Wiki to see how much the stats improve), pick a citation. Probably the only way to get that last star on T'Kuvma.

People thought that about Mirror Picard ;)
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this. I think I'm going to pay a little extra for the citations because I'm sort of limited by credits and I am already focusing on a handful of characters to level up so levelling up anyone else is going to be a struggle. I also think I'm going to focus on legendary because it seems like the super rares are much more likely to drop in the other aspects of the game. I think the only thing holding me back is that if with a behold the probability of me getting a hit on one of my existing characters is high then maybe it is worth it. Maybe I should start working out probabilities..,

Citations is what I'm leaning to anyway. Confirmation or counter arguments are appreciated.
  • Options
    I used to only use honor to add Legendary citations, but nowadays I've been pulling Legendary Beholds instead. It's way more random but i have some crew space now, and most of my FF Legendary characters aren't in the regular pool yet. So far the Beholds have been paying off for me
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I think about it is that I can buy 9 citations for the price of 10 beholds.

If all of those beholds were "useful" (I was able to add a star to an existing 5* or a character that is useful at 1/5), then it was a better deal to buy the beholds.

If one was not useful, then it was a toss-up in terms of cost. However, with citations, I would get to choose my most powerful characters to star-up.

If more than one was not useful, then the beholds were an awful deal because I received fewer useful stars that didn't necessarily go on my strongest characters.

There are LOTS of bad 5*s out there. Personally, I would never take the risk of getting a "bad" one because all it takes is just one out of the 10 beholds for it to make it worse than citations.
  • Options
    True, a behold with Captain Nog, Beowulf Kim, and Judge Q would make me weep.
  • Options
    The way I think about it is that I can buy 9 citations for the price of 10 beholds.

If all of those beholds were "useful" (I was able to add a star to an existing 5* or a character that is useful at 1/5), then it was a better deal to buy the beholds.

If one was not useful, then it was a toss-up in terms of cost. However, with citations, I would get to choose my most powerful characters to star-up.

If more than one was not useful, then the beholds were an awful deal because I received fewer useful stars that didn't necessarily go on my strongest characters.

There are LOTS of bad 5*s out there. Personally, I would never take the risk of getting a "bad" one because all it takes is just one out of the 10 beholds for it to make it worse than citations.

That really does make a lot of sense. I think it all depends on what a players crew looks like and who they have that is worth citations. Over the past couple days I blew through a huge stockpile of Honor I was sitting on (saving 100k for the new Honor Hall person). I have SO many 1/5s I figured it would be more fun to get beholds rather than citations. I got 5 Legendary Beholds and consider myself pretty lucky:

Yarnek (2nd Star)
    Lt. Cmdr Jadzia Dax (2nd Star)
    Grand Nagus Zek (2nd Star)
    Bashir, Julian Bashir (New)
    Dahar Master Kang (5th Star)

No great, not terrible. I was able to Immortalize Kang just in time for the event this week. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. Next time I splurge though I will get citations to finish off some people not in the regular pool yet.
  • Options

Very helpful. Up vote.
  • Options
    Cite.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Options
    I think I'm going to cite my best super rares first and then do beholds for some legendary.

• Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I think I'm going to cite my best super rares first and then do beholds for some legendary.

Not sure if this has been mentioned ... but should you site Super Rares ... you might want to start with crew that has just been released ... e.g. Duelist Yar, Mother Horta, Commander Chapel etc. ... they may not be your best, but if you don't have 4 copies of them already they'll sit around for eons on your roster. This way you can keep on making space and hope portal/Voyage luck brings you stars on others.

Because, e.g. you'll automatically probably get a 10x Premium pull sometime next weekend and that could have a behold, or at least a 4* ... this will be from the list of older crew available and it would be a pity if you just used a citation on them. However, it will be a month or 2-3 before Duelist Yar is added to that pool.

Recently, there have been a lot of new crew coming in and next weekend you'll get 3 new crew again (the mega-event 5* (citation worthy), and both 4*s, as it is a galaxy!). So, it might be better to make sure you can make some space?
    I got a citation for both Yar and Horta, both will be frozen come Monday (Yar already is). I also got a citation for Mirror Picard in week 1 of the last mega event and will do the asme this time around, it really helped out, especially the Hybrid/Faction events.

EDIT: As a reference, I currently have 130.000+ Honor and only spend it on citations.
  • Options
    Lots of this depends on your end goal of the game. If you want to immortalize as large a crew as possible, the citing 4*s is easily your best avenue.

If you have the crew soace to hold onto more partial fusions (or don't mind airlocking them) then you might be better served by citing your best 5*s.

Generally, I have aimed for 5*s with high base scores who are also main cast (and stand to be event crew more often).
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have said, crew space is the important factor here. If you still need your rare characters to help fill in for your super-rares and legendaries, it would probably be best to first soup up your super-rares and legendaries. Personally, I've only once gotten a citation for a super-rare crew (Tommy Gun Dixon is one of my favorites), the rest have all been legendary. I finished Yarnek in only five months and am now working on RAF O’Brien this way, as 1/5* crew are rarely useful for shuttle missions and away missions, and can be hit-or-miss in the arena or on voyages.
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Cites all the way.

Depending on how much honour you have, a 5* cite for the legendary in the next mega event.
    A 5* cite for T'Kumva, but this can wait.

For characters that are 3/4, use a cite to finish them. Cite the characters that are less useful, then freeze them. That will free up a crew space, and keep the character for future events.
    For useful 3/4 characters, keep them on the ship, and wait for a duplicate to drop.
  • Options
    But T'Kumva will be provide a bonus for the mega event.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO waiting for the right behold or saving for the only citable crew is "a long wait for a train don't come." As soon as I get enough for a Legendary it's going straight on my best Legendary to help with voyages Namely Dark Ages McCoy unless this mega event helps me get a better option for Med.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO waiting for the right behold or saving for the only citable crew is "a long wait for a train don't come." As soon as I get enough for a Legendary it's going straight on my best Legendary to help with voyages Namely Dark Ages McCoy unless this mega event helps me get a better option for Med.

I will be citing Prisoner Cornwell as soon as she drops. She will be my best med, and event crew.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I will be citing Prisoner Cornwell as soon as she drops. She will be my best med, and event crew.

Personally I would wait until the end of the mega event, you don't want another mirror picard scenario.

[was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭

Personally I would wait until the end of the mega event, you don't want another mirror picard scenario.

I would be seriously shocked if they pulled another Mirror Picard scenario again, to do so would require someone to purposely try and sabotage the company.

It just wouldn't be worth it - although if they started the event with a free Cornwell that would be a very different matter!
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gib wrote: »
    T'Kuvma as a character is a bit pants. Only two skills so a bit pointless on voyages. (4/4* Ash Tyler wins out on SEC)

Cornwall on the other hand is 3rd in the voyage table and has a high MED base so I would focus your attentions to her; as she'll be an infinitely more useful character than the blue guy!

DB: Do Better
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    T'Kuvma as a character is a bit pants. Only two skills so a bit pointless on voyages. (4/4* Ash Tyler wins out on SEC)
    1. T'Kuvma is very useful on Voyages unless you have overabudance of both Com and Sec 5/5s. Which is hard to come by even with overabudance of Com/Sec crew period because most people don't have that many FFFE 5*, 1/5 maybe, but not 5/5. For me he finds way in more than half of Com or Sec voyages and 90% of Com/Sec voyages. Because 2800 combined skillpoints is nothing to sneeze at.
    2. In what way 962 base, 1291 for Voyages loses to 829 base, 1082 for Voyages? 5/5 T'Kuvma is outright better than 4/4 Tyler.
  • Options

Cornwall on the other hand is 3rd in the voyage table and has a high MED base so I would focus your attentions to her; as she'll be an infinitely more useful character than the blue guy!

A 5/5 T'Kuvma still ranks significantly better in overall voyage score than every single 4* in the game and is 110th overall. Not GOOD, certainly, but a good option for most people.

And, this is probably a bit of a nitpick, but I have Cornwall 5th overall for voyage score, however, I'm assuming full starbases, so that might be the reason for the discrepancy, as two high-proficiency characters (Locutus and Kahless) are just a hair ahead of her.

1 First Officer Burnham 3817
    2 Mirror Jean-Luc Picard 3704
    3 Locutus of Borg 3679
    4 Kahless the Unforgettable 3674
    5 Prisoner Katrina Cornwell 3672
    6 Leonardo da Vinci 3654
    7 Bartender Guinan 3610
    8 Protomorphosis Barclay 3578
    9 Honey Bare Dax 3576
    10 Borg Queen 3576
  • Options

I've been tracking how many times I've used my crew members for things like non-event shuttles and voyages. T'Kuvma has only made it into 5 of my voyages, but he's also made it into 68 of my non-event shuttles--making him #1 in that category. He's also been used in every Faction Event, as well as this week's Disco-bonus Galaxy. Voyages aren't everything.

Back to the matter at hand, the most prudent course of action is to go with the Citation. It's a sure thing with a great deal of flexibility. Plus, you can use it for crew members who aren't in general portal circulation, like the Gauntlet, Honor Hall, and/or Voyage exclusive crew who are not presently even possible to pull.

That said, I've vacillated. I've cashed in for Citations to finish the first four mega-event Legendaries, as well as for the last two stars on Bartender Guinan and a third on Locutus of Borg. I'll eventually get the last two for Locutus, and for Prisoner Katrina Cornwell, too.

I've also rolled the dice on two Legendary Beholds, reasoning that between all the 5*'s I still need stars on, and all the ones I don't have at all that I still want, it's still mathematically favorable for me to end up with someone I'll want. It's worked out nicely both times I've done it, but I'm keenly aware that it is still a risk that could end up squandering 45000 Honor. I was okay with that risk, and I'll almost certainly take it again eventually, but for the time being I've decided to shift my focus back to adding stars to the ones I can't pull because they aren't in general circulation.
  • Options
    As others have said, crew space is the important factor here. If you still need your rare characters to help fill in for your super-rares and legendaries, it would probably be best to first soup up your super-rares and legendaries. Personally, I've only once gotten a citation for a super-rare crew (Tommy Gun Dixon is one of my favorites), the rest have all been legendary. I finished Yarnek in only five months and am now working on RAF O’Brien this way, as 1/5* crew are rarely useful for shuttle missions and away missions, and can be hit-or-miss in the arena or on voyages.

I level up the 3* and 4* in parallel and dump a 3* every time it is replaced by a better levelled up 4*. In a few weeks I won't have any surplus 3*s.
  • Options
    Really interesting discussion.

Having taken it all in I'm going to focus on citing my best characters even though some of them can be got in the behold. My reason is that I think I will benefit in the long run from going further in voyages or better chances on shuttles etc. I think I will then finish off some of my lesser 4*s with citations to make space. Once I have got my best characters fused and created space, I think I will start on 5* beholds.