Home The Bridge
Options

Best Gauntlet Crew...

Aside from whatever the featured skill or traits, who in your opinion are the best Gauntlet crew?

I cannot speak for every character, but I have Kahless the Unforgettable, Bartender Guinan, and Seven of Nine are in every gauntlet for me, the other two folks rotate based on skills/traits. I wish I had Locutus!

Comments

• Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Whoever has the most traits.

Guinan is my default MED but I'll use Mirror Troi, Mirror Phlox or Future Bashir if they have more traits for the Gauntlet.

Same for Mirror Picard, Kahless or Damar.

Locutus is probably the only one who always makes it because he's still the best triple threat and has a tonne of traits.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess at least 90% of the time my team is Kahless, Locutus, La Borge, Defensive Phlox, Gangster Spock.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v97w1ji56MLpCBBhR3xoZpAW8yx5jYoWmH2jNKq27TI/edit#gid=1968532397

Not a perfect comparison, but here are your 20 strongest without considering traits:

deis8f5wztad.png
  • Options
    My tops (I don't have Locutus yet):

Defensive Phlox
    Gangster Spock
    Assimilated La Forge
    Seven of Nine
    Kahless, the Unforgettable
    Chancellor Gowron
    Mademoiselle De Neuf
    Sulan
    Bartender Guinan

My default group (without someone having 45-65% crit, which changes picks) is:

Kahless, the Unforgettable
    Bartender Guinan
    Defensive Phlox
    Assimilated La Forge
    Mademoiselle De Neuf

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it depends on the traits and the highlighted skill. But my repeat offenders usually are as follows:

Gangster Spock
    Mirror Phlox
    Bartender Guinan
    Locutus
    Mirror Picard
    EV Suit Tucker
    Mirror La Forge
    Yarnek
    Mirror Troi

I will occasionally bust out Captain Scott as well, but really only if ENG is the featured skill and one of his traits gets the bonus. Mirror La Forge had largely replaced him for me, such as Locutus has done for Abe Lincoln, Mirror Picard has done for Mirror Kirk, Yarnek has done for Dr. Soong, and Guinan has for Crell Moset. There are some other second-tier favorites like Mirror Bashir, Antaak, or the Changeling Founder that come up when the skills are just right.
  • Options
    I'd consider myself to be a heavy gauntlet player. Rex's spreadsheet is a great starting place. Recently, I've started looking at the skills of many of the common characters I expect to encounter and think, "Who could I bring to outpace characters I'm most likely to see?" Since, I've started working in Delta Flyer Paris, Mirror Troi, Mirror T'Pol, North Star Tucker, etc. into the usual rotation of familiar characters. They each have combinations that can outscore the familiar wall characters.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Options
    I win many with the Sisters for some reason...CD Quark as well
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    [BL] C6pilot[BL] C6pilot ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v97w1ji56MLpCBBhR3xoZpAW8yx5jYoWmH2jNKq27TI/edit#gid=1968532397

Not a perfect comparison, but here are your 20 strongest without considering traits:

deis8f5wztad.png

The problem with the chart is that it counts up to 3 skills. You need to discount the lowest skill for those with 3 because it never counts as the crews high roll.

Ex. 500+600+300 should only count as 1100 max. You can never roll 1400.
  • Options
    Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    I generally rank in top 3 with little effort (you just got to stay on top of it the last day).

Assuming there is no bonus traits I always use
    • Kahless
    • Bartender Guinan
    • Gangster Spock

Then for last 2 spots it entirely depends on what the trait is. Normally for another Med I use Sulan over Mirror Phlox. I recently got Seven of Nine and have been wanting her for my gauntlet team for a long time; however, I have found that I don't find her overly useful in my last 2 spots unless Science is the primary skill.

I don't have Locutus but he would probably be on my always use list if I had him.

My thoughts are pretty simple. Using the list Peachtree Rex posted use anyone in the top 15 if you can. You start noticing a big drop in total skill after top 5 so it is important to have a couple of those. 2 skill characters are problematic and should be avoided if possible.

Whenever DB decides to come out with new honor hall and gauntlet characters it will be interesting to see how rotation changes because right now there aren't enough high end characters to see an big variance in structure.
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why Mirror Picard isn't on that list?
    His skills are 768 + 448 + 90 = 1306
  • Options
    Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    C6pilot wrote: »

deis8f5wztad.png

The problem with the chart is that it counts up to 3 skills. You need to discount the lowest skill for those with 3 because it never counts as the crews high roll.

Yes but it allows for variance. Sulan for example far exceeds Mirror Phlox because he can hit on either Command or Science along with Med, while Phlox can only also hit on Security. There is a higher chance in Sulan's getting a 2nd skill than Phlox.

I get what you are saying but I don't believe your method accounts for this and can result in negatively choosing crew members. I don't generally choose Mirror Picard but the fact that he has a 3rd skill (even though it is insanely low) is valuable. It increases the minimum roll you can get if it pops up.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭

The chart's a reflection of triple threat capacity rather than two skill roll.

Guinan is still probably the best two skill roll in the game but she's not a strong triple threat.

Locutus tops the chart because he is a genuine triple threat. He's the best DIPSCI, 2nd best DIPSEC and 3rd best SCISEC.

The chart would be a little better if it showed their triple average on one column and their best two roll average on another.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options

I use that one a lot
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭

The list is average rolls. Your math is max rolls.
  • Options
    I would also direct you to the "Top Pairs" sheet. There, all 15 two stat pairs get broken out. Some people like that comparison better.

Also: these are averages and also take crit into account. If you make your one copy of the sheet, you can input three traits and it will weight them accordingly.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭

deis8f5wztad.png

I would disagree with this. A large part of gauntlet is about covering all 15 stat pairs on defense. the rankings with third stats let you see an indication on which crew are going to be serviceable is 3 stat pairs instead of 1.

There is another tab in the lvl 100 spreadsheet that lets you enter in your lineup and it will calculate the average percent of max score in each stat pair. This is a resource to figure out your optimal lineup with no traits bonuses and also to use to customize lineups for gauntlets with large amounts of crew with trait matches
  • Options
    Nero84 wrote: »

deis8f5wztad.png

Yes but it allows for variance. Sulan for example far exceeds Mirror Phlox because he can hit on either Command or Science along with Med, while Phlox can only also hit on Security. There is a higher chance in Sulan's getting a 2nd skill than Phlox.

I get what you are saying but I don't believe your method accounts for this and can result in negatively choosing crew members. I don't generally choose Mirror Picard but the fact that he has a 3rd skill (even though it is insanely low) is valuable. It increases the minimum roll you can get if it pops up.

Ok, another example...

500+500+200. Or 400+400+400

Both = 1200 total. But guess which one averages more wins?

5(500+500)+5(500+200)=8500
    10(400+400)=8000

What you're forgetting is this in not your only crew. You still have other overlapping crew to choose from. Its better to choose the crew with the 2 highest skills than one with 3 average skills, imo. Most times you'll never use the 3rd low skill because you'll have something better... If you choose your crew correctly.

That's said, I am more than happy to just agree to disagree. Everyone's strategy can be completely different and still work for them.
  • Options

deis8f5wztad.png

Ok, another example...

10(400+400)=8000

What you're forgetting is this in not your only crew. You still have other overlapping crew to choose from. Its better to choose the crew with the 2 highest skills than one with 3 average skills, imo. Most times you'll never use the 3rd low skill because you'll have something better... If you choose your crew correctly.

That's said, I am more than happy to just agree to disagree. Everyone's strategy can be completely different and still work for them.

The utility of a given character is actually more dependent on the existance of other characters. I agree, the fully summed ranking is a ham-handed comparison, but its a simple one that is sufficient for most analysis (like a listing of the strongest, overall, gauntlet crew).

There are other, more in depth, analyses available in the same spreadsheet that require a lot more nuance than I have attention to justify here.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

deis8f5wztad.png

Ok, another example...

10(400+400)=8000

Except you will never cover all 15 possible pairs. It's mathematically impossible even if you only use crew with 3 skill pairs. So every 2 skill crew you chose is an extra 2 pairs that you won't have.

That being said, I try to look for the strongest at each single skill but like the crew to have 2 other skills. That way I have that strong primary skill even when it's on its own, but also have the two other skills to give a boost when the pairs come up.
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    My most commonly used are...
    Mirror Phlox, Bartender Guinan, Kahless the Unforgettable, Mirror Jean-Luc Picard, Seven of Nine, and Dr. Richard Daystrom

Those I encounter most are...
    All the same above, but minus Dr. Richard Daystrom and add Locutus of Borg.

Rarely see much else.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Mains are: Locutus, Guinan, Khaless, Phlox or Sulan, 7of9, Gangster Spock, Gowron, Mirror Picard.
    I do tend to mix them up, particulary when I know one character will get lots of crit bonuses.

Locutus is usually first on the list though and I can't remember a time when he's not been selected

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    DraftedMcCoyDraftedMcCoy ✭✭✭✭
    Bridge Officer Troi with 5% crit seems to beat up my FE Mirror Phlox all the time, so the whole thing is up in the air.

• Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    By default, I start with the following three:

Locutus of Borg
    Bartender Guinan
    Sulan

Here are my teams from the Gauntlets I've played since the beginning of the year, including the currently active one. I've noted any crit chance bonuses in that specific Gauntlet.

1/02 | ENG | Civilian, Cyberneticist, Explorer | Rank #13
    Captain La Forge x25
    The Professor x25
    Aviator Yar
    Leonardo da Vinci x25
    Locutus of Borg x25

1/04 | MED |Romantic, Geneticist, Augment | Rank #14
    Sulan x25
    Bartender Guinan
    Leonardo da Vinci
    Wrathful Khan x25
    Convergence Day Quark x25

1/06 | ENG | Romantic, Quantum Mechanics, Costumed | Rank #39
    Lt Commander Jadzia Dax
    Convergence Day Quark x45
    Captain La Forge
    Leonardo da Vinci
    Mirror Geordi La Forge

1/08 | SEC | Hunter, Cyberneticist, Maquis | Rank #29
    Locutus of Borg x25
    Beowulf Kim
    Sulan
    GI Chakotay x45
    Leonardo da Vinci

1/10 | CMD | Saboteur, Cardassian, Obsidian Order | Rank #3
    Locutus of Borg
    Commander Kira Nerys x25
    Sulan
    Lieutenant Valeris x25
    Mirror Geordi La Forge x25

1/12 | DIP | Cardassian, Prodigy, Musician | Rank #59
    Locutus of Borg
    Bartender Guinan
    Sulan
    The Professor x25
    Commander Kira Nerys

1/14 | SEC | Communicator, Maverick, Terran Empire | Rank #12
    Mirror Phlox x25
    Bartender Guinan x25
    Mirror Jean-Luc Picard x45
    Mirror Uhura x45

1/16 | CMD | Explorer, Interrogator, Athlete| Rank #26
    Locutus of Borg
    Commander Kira Nerys
    Sulan
    Mirror Jean-Luc Picard
    Beowulf Kim

1/18 | DIP | Romantic, Federation, Diplomat | Rank #17
    Locutus of Borg x25
    Commander Kira Nerys x25
    Ambassador Spock x45
    Doc Crusher x25
    Lt Commander Jadzia Dax x25

1/20 | SEC | Brutal, Marksman, Villain | Rank #17
    Locutus of Borg x25
    Bartender Guinan x25
    Sulan x25
    Mirror Jean-Luc Picard x25
    Beowulf Kim

1/22 | CMD | Cultural Figure, Klingon, Inspiring | Rank #8
    Locutus of Borg x25
    Leonardo da Vinci x45
    Sulan
    Kortar x45
    Wrathful Khan x25

1/24 | DIP | Ferengi, Merchant, Communicator | Rank #3
    Locutus of Borg x25
    Bartender Guinan x25
    Sulan
    Mirror Geordi La Forge
    Convergence Day Quark x65

1/26 | SEC | Desperate, Saboteur, Tactician | Rank #TBD
    Lieutenant Valeris x25
    Bartender Guinan
    Sulan
    Commander Kira Nerys x45
  • Options

deis8f5wztad.png

Ok, another example...

10(400+400)=8000

Actually, your math is out a little, because it's not 2 configurations, it's 3. Let's use 6 runs as it divides better;
    6 guantlet runs evenly distributed =2(A+B)+2(A+C)+2(B+C), which you can reconfigure as 4(A+B+C)

if A=500, B=500, C=200
    2(500+500)+2(500+200)+2(500+200)=4800

If A=400, B=400, C=400
    2(400+400)+2(400+400)+2(400+400)=4800

This of course ignores the prime skill, or skill pairs that are more competitive. My roster isn't deep enough that having a huge range of choice is a major problem, I'm fortunate with Kahless, Bartender Guinean, Mirror Phlox and Richard Daystrom, with the last dependant on what the prime skill is. Occasionally I'm able to sub in other crew with a couple of traits, but I often find the higher proficiency bonus is more useful.
    And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's bugger all down here on Earth.
    -Monty Python, The Meaning of Life
  • Options

deis8f5wztad.png

Ok, another example...

10(400+400)=8000

Actually, your math is out a little, because it's not 2 configurations, it's 3. Let's use 6 runs as it divides better;
    6 guantlet runs evenly distributed =2(A+B)+2(A+C)+2(B+C), which you can reconfigure as 4(A+B+C)

if A=500, B=500, C=200

If A=400, B=400, C=400

This of course ignores the prime skill, or skill pairs that are more competitive. My roster isn't deep enough that having a huge range of choice is a major problem, I'm fortunate with Kahless, Bartender Guinean, Mirror Phlox and Richard Daystrom, with the last dependant on what the prime skill is. Occasionally I'm able to sub in other crew with a couple of traits, but I often find the higher proficiency bonus is more useful.

The program cannot pick 200 twice for any battle.

If 2 out of 3 skills is 500, and it must pick pairs, then it will ALWAYS pick 500 plus another number. Theoretically, half of the time it will be 500+500... it cannot be avoided. Multiply it by any number of runs you want. But even once it's still 8.5 vs 8.0 average.

This assumes all things being equal such as predominant skill for gauntlet and crew availability. We must assume it's none of the skills involved or else all the equations go out the window because you're likely weighting crew for that reason alone.
  • Options

deis8f5wztad.png

Ok, another example...

10(400+400)=8000

if A=500, B=500, C=200

If A=400, B=400, C=400

The program cannot pick 200 twice for any battle.

If 2 out of 3 skills is 500, and it must pick pairs, then it will ALWAYS pick 500 plus another number. Theoretically, half of the time it will be 500+500... it cannot be avoided. Multiply it by any number of runs you want. But even once it's still 8.5 vs 8.0 average.

This assumes all things being equal such as predominant skill for gauntlet and crew availability. We must assume it's none of the skills involved or else all the equations go out the window because you're likely weighting crew for that reason alone.

He hasn't picked 200 twice in a single battle. There are three cases for each, A+B, A+C, and B+C. In all cases, the overall averages ends up being the same.

I don't dispute that a 500/500/200 character would be (usually) preferable to a 400/400/400 character. The case you haven't tacked is where only one of the three are matched. There, I'd much rather have 500/0 than 400/0. You just need to make sure that the "200" stat is covered by another character on your team, because a 200/0 would be pretty weak.

This is why I said earlier in the thread, absolute power isn't really the best measure of any individual character. Your best means of measuring them is by comparing them to each other. For me, Guinan has been a very weak character, because I also have Locutus and Mirror Phlox. Locutus + Mirror Phlox end up covering most of Guinans strengths well enough that I'd, usually, prefer to use that slot for someone else.
  • Options

He hasn't picked 200 twice in a single battle. There are three cases for each, A+B, A+C, and B+C. In all cases, the overall averages ends up being the same.

I don't dispute that a 500/500/200 character would be (usually) preferable to a 400/400/400 character. The case you haven't tacked is where only one of the three are matched. There, I'd much rather have 500/0 than 400/0. You just need to make sure that the "200" stat is covered by another character on your team, because a 200/0 would be pretty weak.

This is why I said earlier in the thread, absolute power isn't really the best measure of any individual character. Your best means of measuring them is by comparing them to each other. For me, Guinan has been a very weak character, because I also have Locutus and Mirror Phlox. Locutus + Mirror Phlox end up covering most of Guinans strengths well enough that I'd, usually, prefer to use that slot for someone else.

I don't understand your math. It's not the average of A+B, A+C, and B+C for every roll. Each roll is only comprised of 2 skills out of 3. So you don't add all 3 possibilities to get your average.

Out of the 3 possible skills it's either going to be 500+500 or 500+200... that's it's, and the odds are exactly the same. One of the 500's (A or B) is a given, 500 WILL be one of the 2 skills. Now the 2nd skill is either 500 or 200... a 50/50 chance. The average is 850 per battle.

I'm sorry if I'm not explaining it very well.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Except when your skills are 500/500/200, 500/200 happens twice as often as 500/500. You are weighting them equally, which is incorrect.
  • Options
    this thread from old forums has the crew ranked by prof per skill, and for 2 and 3 skills - all ranked by avg roll, which is what matters: https://forums.disruptorbeam.com/stt/viewthread/62271 - 5.5 months+ out of date now, but not many been added that change it
  • Options
    Dharkus wrote: »
    this thread from old forums has the crew ranked by prof per skill, and for 2 and 3 skills - all ranked by avg roll, which is what matters: https://forums.disruptorbeam.com/stt/viewthread/62271 - 5.5 months+ out of date now, but not many been added that change it

All of that info (with up to date characters) are available in the spreadsheet I shared above.