Home The Bridge
Options

Rethinking the Mega Recurring Character concept.

PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
I think we need to rethink the whole Mega character thing.

What do they all have in common? Epic Fails.

Borg Queen - Star Trek First Contact, Picard and Data make sure she can't change the time stream and snap the spine of that physical body.
Kortar - Kills off the Klingon Gods only to be condemned to drive the Barge of the Dead to Grethor.
T'Kuvma - Guy may have had an impact to start a war but gets killed off fairly early for an impactful character
Mirror Picard --- Steals ship with his new crew and, well does NOT preserve the Terran Empire nor makes the Empire Great Again.

So, kinda feels like he Admiral in her dealings with Lorca, fits right in.

Comments

• Options
    I want a Vulcan Mega Event with Surak, a great Vulcan figure who reformed Vulcan society while he was alive
    Proud Member of Everlong and avid Star Trek Fan

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want a Vulcan Mega Event with Surak, a great Vulcan figure who reformed Vulcan society while he was alive

That would be cool, but I don't think it fits the pattern of Epic Fail that all Mega Event recurring characters have exhibited.
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

Surak may be the next honour hall character
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Ya the enterprise Vulcan leader who was conspiring with Romulans is more fitting.
  • Options
    FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    Ya the enterprise Vulcan leader who was conspiring with Romulans is more fitting.

Yeah and I like that Actor too.
    He also played Admiral Layton in the 4th season 2 part episode home front / paradise lost. (Who also needs in the game)
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Enterprise Vulcans are horrible. There isn't a single one I like.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even T’Pol
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    T'Pol was great. And Admiral Soval was cool. He didnt like the humans much and then a human saved his life.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    T'Pol grows on you. She doesn't really become likable, though, until season 3. And then it takes a while. My issue with them is that they are the most emotional and condescending people. They are constantly angry and disgusted, which are emotions. T'Pol gets to the point where she allows herself to quit pretending that she is completely emotionless.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    T'Pol was great. And Admiral Soval was cool. He didnt like the humans much and then a human saved his life.

T’Pol’s character development was phenomenal.

• Options
    Spock never acts condescending or disgusted.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Remember Spock is half human.

Spock was very excited in the Menagerie (or the cage Talos Spock) Spock also has moments of emotion. Though the one where he is in charge of the shuttle mission, and at the end, he ignites their fuel is a totally logical move. It is very logical to lose two hours of life on a chance that you may be rescued. It is not logical to not take that chance and except death in two hours.

Edit: by the way a raised eyebrow is a display of emotion. Of course started with Spock but I think all Vulcans have done it.

I agree with you on the emotions that are displayed in Enterprise Vulcans.
    However, T’Pol does a much better job of not displaying emotion. But things change for her for a couple reasons. One a mind meld by a melder that does not know how to do it properly and then the result of exposure to Trellium ore which she also does on her own.

I was very disappointed with Surak. I liked the actor in TOS. I wished they would have tried to match that actors looks. T’Pau I wish they could have kept the accent. ( But I still was okay with her)

When you watch Enterprise, you think, no one would ever think Vulcans speak the truth.

Edit: Remember Vulcans suppress emotions. They are not devoid of them. We know this in TOS.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

WaldoMag wrote: »
    Remember Spock is half human.

Spock was very excited in the Menagerie (or the cage Talos Spock) Spock also has moments of emotion. Though the one where he is in charge of the shuttle mission, and at the end, he ignites their fuel is a totally logical move. It is very logical to lose two hours of life on a chance that you may be rescued. It is not logical to not take that chance and except death in two hours.

I agree with you on the emotions that are displayed in Enterprise Vulcans.
    However, T’Pol does a much better job of not displaying emotion. But things change for her for a couple reasons. One a mind meld by a melder that does not know how to do it properly and then the result of exposure to Trellium ore which she also does on her own.

I was very disappointed with Surak. I liked the actor in TOS. I wished they would have tried to match that actors looks. T’Pau I wish they could have kept the accent. ( But I still was okay with her)

When you watch Enterprise, you think no one would ever think Vulcans speak the truth.

That was the human consensus within the show but in reality I believe it was more like they withheld the truth versus actual lying

• Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Considering the last mega event, this feels entirely appropriate!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xanathar wrote: »

Considering the last mega event, this feels entirely appropriate!

Ha! You nailed that one!

• Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    6events x 4weeks = 24 weeks of mega events on a year. That is nearly half of all weekends. It is very difficult for something to continue to feel special or epic when it is happening so frequently.

That is true. On the other hand gameplaywise there is no real difference between 4 weeks of "normal" events or monthlong megaevents.

Apart from: If you don´t like the characters or topic of a megaevent a boring month is ahead. While with normal events there is the chance you could could like the topic of the next week better...

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the mega events. It seems like they all have the best event crew.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what you're saying, @Pallidyne, is that the hallmark of a mega Legendary is hubris. Pretty good argument for those first four. It remains to be seen how true it is of Admiral Cornwell, though believing herself most qualified to assess how fit Lorca was to return to duty (and be entrusted with such a sensitive ship as the Discovery during a time of war) would constitute hubris, though not on the same scale as the other four.

The only characters I could think of offhand who would fit that theme on the same scale as the first four are unfortunately already in the game:

Dukat - Joined the Cardassian Union to the Dominion and even retook DS9, only to be captured and ousted from his position of leadership before everything unraveled for the Dominion/Cardassian alliance.

Gowron - More or less lucked his way into becoming Chancellor of the Klingon High Council, only to be removed from power after recklessly jeopardizing the entire war effort to appease his own petty ego.

Khan - Once reigned on Earth, only to be exiled into space in a state of suspended animation; subsequently remanded to permanent imprisonment on Alpha Ceti VI.

Sybok - Cult leader who managed to seize control of a planet (admittedly, a neglected one, but still), take prolific hostages, hijack the Enterprise, and seemed to get as close to finding God as had ever been done, only to find too late that his own personal vanity had merely taken the bait from an imprisoned being.

Weyoun - Schemer who outlasted Dukat and antagonized Damar to the point of alienating him into rebelling, a critical blow to the Dominion in the final stages of the war. He paid the personal price of his hubris when Damar declared his rebellion by destroying the cloning facility that made Weyouns.

Winn - Manipulated her way into becoming Kai of Bajor, ultimately betraying her own faith and her own people to join with Dukat and the Pah-wraiths.

Regent Worf - Victim of the Grand Moff Tarkin Syndrome, forcing the capitulation of the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    And also already in game, Mirror Spock. We all wanted the peace and harmony version of the Empire to succeed but well, he did it in such a way that the KCA smashed them.

Regardless if epic fail Cornwall redeems herself, she still committed an epic fail. Letting the sex cloud her judgement alone leading to more of the situation everyone's in being deeper--- that's pretty Don't try this at home kids. (And in the current climate the sex with a subordinate is pretty oops... )
  • Options
    And also already in game, Mirror Spock. We all wanted the peace and harmony version of the Empire to succeed but well, he did it in such a way that the KCA smashed them.

Regardless if epic fail Cornwall redeems herself, she still committed an epic fail. Letting the sex cloud her judgement alone leading to more of the situation everyone's in being deeper--- that's pretty Don't try this at home kids. (And in the current climate the sex with a subordinate is pretty oops... )

Not sure how I overlooked Mirror Spock since he was the first one I actually thought about before I started writing that post. Oops. As for Cornwell, those are good points, though I was thinking farther back when she was the one who cleared Lorca fit to return to duty. Whether they were hooking up at that time isn't clear, but if they had been, that's even worse than allowing him to remain in command of the Discovery after her rescue.
  • Options
    Events are too long and Mega Events too often. There is nothing special about either EXCEPT that Mega Events offer an easy 4/5 for everyone and regular events offer easy 3* and 4*. That can be accomplished without causing event burnout. The effects of everyone having the "gifted" 5* is short lived because it elevates everyone's game. The "whales" make out quickly as they can FE them fast to do better in that months mega event but the FTP make out afterward because the 5* may fill a gap they didn't have covered yet. Over time, the mega 5* usefulness dwindles for everyone.

In a nut shell, the mega 5* is like chocolate for PTP but like trail mix for FTP... Everyone gets a boost but eventually it gets pooped out.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like mega events when we get a good legendary 4/5 with skills we need. But the legendary should also be someone people want. Borg Queen and Mirror (Santa) Picard were great. But with Discovery event month many of us would have loved getting First Officer Michael Burnham but instead we got T'Kuvma. If Admiral Cornwall has medical primary with two good other skills everyone will love this event month coming up. If she is instead command security people will be unhappy.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't Cornwall Lethe and thus at some point a co-prisoner with Garth..Maybe we'll see him in this event ;)
  • Options
    Isn't Cornwall Lethe and thus at some point a co-prisoner with Garth..Maybe we'll see him in this event ;)

It'd be entertaining for them to do that if only to watch the "DIS doesn't care about canon!" contingent have to reconcile with such a canon-based story idea.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

It'd be entertaining for them to do that if only to watch the "DIS doesn't care about canon!" contingent have to reconcile with such a canon-based story idea.

(Shrug) That's like saying the Kelvin folks have to wrestle with the movies cause Kirk and Scotty are on the same ship.
  • Options

It's an unconfirmed speculative theory. Yes she was in the episode called Lethe. Aside from that Lethe is supposed to be like 30 years younger than Cornwall.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    Every month should be a new mega. Who cares? If you're feeling burnt out, take a break. Complaining about too much content is silly.
  • Options
    I think going forward what might be helpful is if mega-events were themed around something that allowed for greater diversity from week to week. I think a big part of the fatigue comes from having to farm so many of the same few components for so many crew throughout the four weeks. The most obvious themes for a mega are going to be concentrated on crew from the same faction and/or species, but surely there are some that could be found by diving a little deeper into the mythos.

For instance, what about Troublemakers? Possibilities include:
    • Aamon Maritza (tried to shame Cardassia for its war crimes)
    • Ba'ku Picard (led an insurrection against Admiral Doherty)
    • Commander Donatra (defied Shinzon by coming to the rescue of the Enterprise)
    • Crosis (part of Lore's rogue Borg cult)
    • Duras (Klingon rival of the House of Mogh and of Gowron, who nearly became Chancellor after poisoning K'Mpec)
    • Garth of Izar (decorated Starfleet captain who lost his mind and tried to commit genocide)
    • Ishka (led the charge for Ferengi feminism)
    • Jaro Essa (leader of the Circle that tried to engineer a coup on Bajor)
    • Joran Dax (homicidal one-time host of the Dax symbiont who exposed that more Trill were capable of being hosts than the Symbiosis Commission wanted to be known)
    • Mirror Quark (busted and executed for helping Terran slaves)
    • Teacher Keiko (antagonized Vedek Winn by not teaching Bajoran creationism)
    • Tolaris (member of the Vulcan V'tosh ka'tur sect that advocated for the then-controversial use of mind melds)

My favorite troublemaker:

Renegade Kirk: Disobeyed Orders, Stole the Enterprise, Destroyed the Enterprise... oh an 17 separate temporal violations...