Home The Bridge
Options

No point collecting legendaries anymore

Since we're all getting a 4/5 (at least) every other month now, there's no point bothering with 1/5 characters anymore.

Obviously whales can fuse anyone and everyone, but average players don't have resources to fuse more than a tiny handful of legendaries.

Getting a 5* character used to be something special, at least it was for me. Now, there's no point, because they will be outclassed by a mega-event character.

So my proud collection of 1/5 and 2/5 characters are fast becoming obsolete and I see no point in getting any more. Legendary behold? Or Event character? - No point, just airlock them. 1/5 is the new 1/4.

It might not be so bad if the 4/5s were characters you actually want. But fakes and minor characters from the latest train wreck of a series simply don't hold much interest for me.

I am increasingly wondering, what's the point at all anymore?

Comments

• Options
    JohnDH wrote: »
    Time to introduce a new 6* crew - it's the logical conclusion to the power creep model, right?

logical next step I should say, because there is no conclusion
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    But if the mega event 4/5s are all DIP/COM/SEC then the others will be usefull still, even at 1/5 :p

maybe.
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legendaries can still mean something, but only if DB stops their foolish model of throwing a mega event every month.

If we had mega events reduced to once per season or to three times a year, then the free 5* would be less prevalent enough that it wouldn't undermine getting 1/5 legendary cards from other events or packs. But if we keep this trend of having a mega event every month then yeah DB is just shooting themselves in the foot, hard.

The only way a 1/5 card won't become obsolete to a free mega-event 5* is if the 1/5 is power creeped so hard, that the 1/5 can stay on par with the free ME star.

For example, my Dr. Hugh Culber is only 1/5 but his power creep is so high that he's 1042 in his main stat with just one star. I mean that's almost as high in main stat as the COM on a FF/FE Mirror Jean-Luc Picard.
    But I'd rather not have power creep become this outrageous on a consistent level, I'd rather DB just scale back the occurrence of mega events.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    More and more 5s coming in make each 650 dil pull less and less likely to be anything you care about.

Six months ago it was easier to find that third or fourth star. Easier, not easy and always costly.
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    For example, my Dr. Hugh Culber is only 1/5 but his power creep is so high that he's 1042 in his main stat with just one star. I mean that's almost as high in main stat as the COM on a FF/FE Mirror Jean-Luc Picard.
    those are different type of characters thou, M Picard is a prof roll heavy and Culber base stat.. But I get your point.

Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Options
    Eh, it depends on the character. I got lucky on a merit draw and picked up a 1/5 Mobile Doctor. He's now my third-best MED crew (behind a 5/5 Dark Ages McCoy and a 4/4 Combat Medic Paris).

The other thing is you need a fairly deep bench these days. With four shuttles and a voyage going at all times, I'm probably averaging about 26 crew in-use at any one time, with an unpredictable lineup of skill requirements.

My four CMD-heavy mega-event characters aren't going to provide nearly enough.

Having said that: 1/5 CMD characters are fairly useless these days. I can't remember the last time my poor Admiral Cartwright got used, to say nothing of Captains Bateson or Nog.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see the recurring event character as a bonus. I appreciate that they give us a 4/5 for minimal effort and to the newer players I feel it’s a nice way to get them a good legendary. I think it’s a good thing all around and it doesn’t factor into any of my decisions about obtaining other crew. You get to a point where super rares are the pointless ones
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see the recurring event character as a bonus. I appreciate that they give us a 4/5 for minimal effort and to the newer players I feel it’s a nice way to get them a good legendary. I think it’s a good thing all around and it doesn’t factor into any of my decisions about obtaining other crew. You get to a point where super rares are the pointless ones

I definitely won't complain about getting a new shiny 5* but it needs to be spaced out.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still use my 1/5's and find them helpful. The big problem is crew slots taken up by 1/5's. I wish DB would allow us to vault them if they are ff/fe.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭

I definitely won't complain about getting a new shiny 5* but it needs to be spaced out.
    Agree. The very first mega felt so special. When I read the announcement yesterday, it was "Huh? Another one already?"
    (And I recently spent all my Honor, whoops.)
  • Options
    I quite like megas, but I think DB could introduce a different type of mega, a kind of mini-mega that spanned a fortnight. The gold could be given out twice, with the option of buying the double up offer each time, and packs at the end.

An f2p would get a 2/5 (nice but not over-powered) and paying players would have an easier bet of getting the 5/5.

Also we wouldn't have the need to be available every weekend for a month, or it would be easier for people to sit out (eg Disco haters) without being penalized too heavily.

It would allow themes more easily too, like 'Age of Sail' - and reruns mixed with new events, and help characters to be built up across a couple of weekends without getting too useful by the end of the month. And boredom setting in.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Agreed. But I'd like ALL events to be shorter first. 5 days of grinding is not fun anymore, it's work. Nobody calls a 5-day workweek an "event". The 2-day weekend is the event. DB has changed my weekends to Tuesday-Wednesday... The best days of the week in the DB universe. Lol.
  • Options
    Yes agreed. Four days is a grind. Three would definitely be better.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to introduce a new 6* crew - it's the logical conclusion to the power creep model, right?

If they follow the business model of Com2us (advise: Never play a game of them. If you think DB is greedy sometimes you will find them generous after! They are anyway for a mobile games company.) for sure.

I played GolfStar by them some time back. Different genre oc, but similar concept. Even worse though. Unlike here you could not buy the best stuff, but exclusively get it via loot boxes. And the chance to get that stuff was 1% (at some point they needed to publish the odds after a new Korean law).

Anyway, the most powerful things were called legendaries. And remained that way for a long time. Until those were followed up by ultimates...
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Not all 1/5's are the same. I also like to have at least 1 5* of each main cast since they will always have potential at a later date. Of the 5*'s I got from Mega's:
    1/5 Assimilated Geordi - Gauntlet monster, Main Cast character, Serviceable base ENG with good supporting skills
    2/5 Assimilated Janeway - 2nd Best SCI I have, Main cast, Good voyage character
    3/5 Dahar Kang - Only got him because I pulled one from a pack. Still my best DIP main stat. First 5* to get a star after the event
    1/5 Proto Worf - Yeah, he's not doing much for me but still my best 5* Worf.
    1/5 Desert Georgiou - Huge morale advantage having Michelle Yeoh as part of my crew
    1/5 Lorca - Yeah, he's not doing much for me
    1/5 Mirror Data - He's only OK. He'd look better if I didn't get Detective Data at about the same time and Mirror Geordi a couple weeks later.
    1/5 Mirror Beverly - Good MED although I have better. It let me fridge a couple 4* MED's though.
    1/5 Mirror Troi - Also a Good MED and gives me another strong Gauntlet character.

I'll probably try to get Scotty next week. Hopefully he'll have an interesting stat line.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Not all 1/5's are the same.

Yups, take Culber for example with his amazing med skill even at 1/5. Or certain characters who are mainly made for the Gauntlet and even at 1/5 rock with their proficiency...

• Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Not all 1/5's are the same.

Yups, take Culber for example with his amazing med skill even at 1/5. Or certain characters who are mainly made for the Gauntlet and even at 1/5 rock with their proficiency...

Like Chancellor Gowron. Absolutely gross base stats, but his proficiencies are fantastic.

On the other end, Falcon O'Brien has next to no proficiency, but he has over 1k base security even at 1/5.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thing is, most gameplay right now is events. As such, who cares about the stats on some level. A 1/5 Event/Bonus character may actually beat out 5/5 non-bonus. Only one so far (Picard) shows any promise in being event crew later... not saying the others don't have utility--- but it's pretty muted considering the pace of events.

Yeah the power creep **tsk tsk** and jthe megas are diluting things.

But hey, i'm playing mostly for the events, as I'm fairly set in other areas, (Gauntlet/Voyages) so thats why I'm keeping my 1/5 Mirror Bashir.
  • Options
    *spends 100K honor on Kahless*
    *airlocks Kahless, cause "pointless"*
    :joy:

Seriously though, it does depend on the card. Most Legendaries will improve most players' crew for at least a little while. Voyages and Gauntlet restored a fair amount of value to FE 1/5's.

But there definitely comes a point when they become crew slot cancer. If you're not in a large fleet and/or dropping serious cash, they'll never be fused and slowly become useless.

I myself have 57 Legendary crew after nearly 2 years, about half of which are of some use to regular game play. I have 3 immortalized. :s
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Thing is, most gameplay right now is events. As such, who cares about the stats on some level. A 1/5 Event/Bonus character may actually beat out 5/5 non-bonus. Only one so far (Picard) shows any promise in being event crew later... not saying the others don't have utility--- but it's pretty muted considering the pace of events.

Yeah the power creep *hugs* and jthe megas are diluting things.

But hey, i'm playing mostly for the events, as I'm fairly set in other areas, (Gauntlet/Voyages) so thats why I'm keeping my 1/5 Mirror Bashir.

I have Mirror Bashir at 3/5. Very useful in Voyages because he’s high security/engineering

• Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep them but don't bother putting chrons into levelling them until a 5* is FF. I don't bother with the Gorntlet so I don't care if the proficiency stats are good if they don't have a minimum of 4/5 stars they stay where they are till they do. I can divert all chrons on items to Purples 2/4-FF waiting on pack purchases to finish
  • Options
    I agree with most of the views expressed in this thread so let's chip some "truth" DB's way and let them think about it.

These are the problems I see with mega events legends every 1-2 months. You are Not rotating the stats to to be appealing to collectors and players that can either afford the citation or the buy. With so many com/dip/sec/whateva free legends they seem lackluster and forcefed.

Older legends have decreased enough in value that even seeing a junk legend in Dabo is insulting. Getting a duelist torres, scotty, and grilka behold is enough to make me want to scream. Older legends do hold some value if they are cast and ff for events but when 4* ff are beating them out for shuttles.... duh, they **tsk tsk**.

It is just a real bad look DB when people want to buy but can't because crew slots cost the price of a imax 3d movie and a bucket of popcorn. That's pure greed, getting people coming and going.

I personally am still on the fence about this game. I want to engage with it again and have fun but the odds I currently am getting from DB are not worthy of action.
  • Options

logical next step I should say, because there is no conclusion

if there is 6* crew, the most possible logical next step (at least for me) would be to retire.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with most of the views expressed in this thread so let's chip some "truth" DB's way and let them think about it.

These are the problems I see with mega events legends every 1-2 months. You are Not rotating the stats to to be appealing to collectors and players that can either afford the citation or the buy. With so many com/dip/sec/whateva free legends they seem lackluster and forcefed.

Older legends have decreased enough in value that even seeing a junk legend in Dabo is insulting. Getting a duelist torres, scotty, and grilka behold is enough to make me want to scream. Older legends do hold some value if they are cast and ff for events but when 4* ff are beating them out for shuttles.... duh, they *hugs*.

It is just a real bad look DB when people want to buy but can't because crew slots cost the price of a imax 3d movie and a bucket of popcorn. That's pure greed, getting people coming and going.

I personally am still on the fence about this game. I want to engage with it again and have fun but the odds I currently am getting from DB are not worthy of action.

I recently got my first Seven of Nine. Fully equipped her to find that I have THREE STAR crew with better stats than her. That is a bit “oh come on now!”

• Options

Older legends have decreased enough in value that even seeing a junk legend in Dabo is insulting. Getting a duelist torres, scotty, and grilka behold is enough to make me want to scream. Older legends do hold some value if they are cast and ff for events but when 4* ff are beating them out for shuttles.... duh, they *hugs*.

I recently got my first Seven of Nine. Fully equipped her to find that I have THREE STAR crew with better stats than her. That is a bit “oh come on now!”

How are you still judging crew by 2016 standards?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it was the first Seven of Nine I got. Just finished leveling Gangster Spock. Are you kidding me with these numbers?feofccpk3ufa.png
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it was the first Seven of Nine I got. Just finished leveling Gangster Spock. Are you kidding me with these numbers?feofccpk3ufa.png

Yup, gauntlet BEAST. You'll never leave home without him.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, with 7of and Spocko, it's all about the proficiency. I don't think I've used them outside of Gauntlet. Even the last time 7 was bonus crew, there were much better versions of her to use on shuttles. But man, they can both still take names in one-on-one competition.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Yeah, with 7of and Spocko, it's all about the proficiency. I don't think I've used them outside of Gauntlet. Even the last time 7 was bonus crew, there were much better versions of her to use on shuttles. But man, they can both still take names in one-on-one competition.

Seven did replace my Mirror T’Pol in the science department. I’ll see next gauntlet if Spock takes someone’s spot