Home The Bridge
Options

Endless New Crew

Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in The Bridge
How much longer can DB keep up this endless cycle of new crew? I have been playing nearly two years and it has been a constant battle for crew space. Now with the recent onslaught of new crew events I am looking at airlocking 1/4's, freezing 4/4's, or simply throwing my hands up in the air and walking away in disgust. DB is managing to drain the fun out of this game and leaving behind the hollow husk of a used up game.

Comments

• Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much longer can DB keep up this endless cycle of new crew? I have been playing nearly two years and it has been a constant battle for crew space. Now with the recent onslaught of new crew events I am looking at airlocking 1/4's, freezing 4/4's, or simply throwing my hands up in the air and walking away in disgust. DB is managing to drain the fun out of this game and leaving behind the hollow husk of a used up game.

Yup, standard game play there. That's nothing new, is it?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Well, they said that they will be keeping it "around" the 52 new crew mark per year. I am interested to see what the deviation from that statement will be. Say, in %?
  • Options
    Well, they said that they will be keeping it "around" the 52 new crew mark per year. I am interested to see what the deviation from that statement will be. Say, in %?

Where did they say that? I think we are probably averaging at least 2 per week (with the last two months much higher)
    Member of Rise of the Phoenix.
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't be surprised if it was over 300%
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭

The rate we are going so far we will be hitting 52 in a few weeks time!
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Not familiar with that statement, was that in the production notes?

So we're up to 9 so far this year with 4 being added this week. And no events other than reruns having existing crew since Christmas---- so 52 will come quick.

(That will take us to 13 which is 25% of 52)
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's on the old forums, but there was a time where the user-base cried out due to the new influx of crew - in the first year of the game - and DB said "we hear you, we will slow it down".

Then, there was a separate public communication, again on the old forums, that said that the scope of the game would be shifting from releasing all the new crew to releasing fewer crew in smaller limited batches, but focusing on overall gameplay dynamics and fleet based activities (fleet v fleet stuff).

None of that has materialized, and we are today at 493ish crew.

Yeah now that sounds a little familiar... I had totally forgotten as that was so broken and old news it wasn't even funny.

Feels like they put some Nitrous in the tank though this year.
  • Options
    FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah.. I remember that.

"You've spent the last year assembling your crew and soon it will be time to put them to the test! " Lol.

What I've always wondered about that..
    Did they laugh harder writing it,
    It did I laugh harder reading it.

• Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

So we're up to 9 so far this year with 4 being added this week. And no events other than reruns having existing crew since Christmas---- so 52 will come quick.

We are already at more than 9 so far this year.

The last three events have all been new crew (so 3 events with 3 new crew each). However, one of them also had Florist Q and Prison Burnham (so that is at least 11).

We also had new EV Suit Archer in a pack (as well as I believe a new version of the female Discovery Klingon.)

With another 4 characters for the upcoming event we are looking at 16+ and that is in the first month of the year
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hunter247 wrote: »

The last three events have all been new crew (so 3 events with 3 new crew each). However, one of them also had Florist Q and Prison Burnham (so that is at least 11).

We also had new EV Suit Archer in a pack (as well as I believe a new version of the female Discovery Klingon.)

With another 4 characters for the upcoming event we are looking at 16+ and that is in the first month of the year

One event this year was a rerun with only one new crew. (Now the last of the mega might count except technically those characters were released on Dec 28th when the event started)

Triple Threat 2 --- Torchbearer Voq
    Infinte Contentions- Mariachi Q, Tourist Quark, Grad Burnham, Florist Q, Prisoner Burnham
    We Are Who To Die - Gladiator McCoy, Tsunkatse Seven and Duelist Yar.

Now I didn't include any pack only characters as I've not kept track.

I count that as 9.

• Options
    Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Where did they say that? I think we are probably averaging at least 2 per week (with the last two months much higher)

They are doing 4-5 new crew a week.
    3 in an event
    1 best chance of pack crew
    1 mega (the 4/5 crew everyone gets during a mega)
    If they add a new 2* or 3* as event rewards it's even more.

Let's say 4 per week because of the occasional rerun offsetting weeks when there are more than 4

That's only 208 new crew a year. I'm not sure why that's a problem? Just buy 200 slots :open_mouth:

• Options
    Once all crew get in the general pool leveling 1/5s will be all but impossible creating the incentive to get them done now...quickly. Spend,spend,spend...
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Since January 1, 2018 - not counting any carry-over events
    New 5* Crew: - Pack Only
    Satan's Robot
    Vengefull L'Rell
    EV Suit Archer
    Captain Lorian
    New 5* Crew: - Events
    Mariachi Q
    Gladiator McCoy
    Protomorphosis Barclay
    Formal Dress Scotty
    Admiral Cornwall
    New 4* Crew: - Pack Only
    Friar Tuck Data
    New 4* Crew: - Events
    Torchbearer VoQ
    Tourist Quark
    Graduation Michael Burnham
    Duelist Yar
    Tsunkatse Seven
    Mother Horta
    Dr. Gillian Taylor
    Lt. Tarah
    Celebration Ash Tyler
    New 3* Crew
    Florist Q
    New 2* Crew
    Prisoner Michael Burnham

If you count those up, it's 21.

*edit because I can't math
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Since January 1, 2018 - not counting any carry-over events
    New 5* Crew: - Pack Only
    Satan's Robot
    Vengefull L'Rell
    EV Suit Archer
    Captain Lorian
    New 5* Crew: - Events
    Mariachi Q
    Gladiator McCoy
    Formal Dress Scotty
    Admiral Cornwall
    New 4* Crew: - Pack Only
    Friar Tuck Data
    New 4* Crew: - Events
    Torchbearer VoQ
    Tourist Quark
    Graduation Michael Burnham
    Duelist Yar
    Tsunkatse Seven
    Lt. Tarah
    Celebration Ash Tyler
    New 3* Crew
    Florist Q
    New 2* Crew
    Prisoner Michael Burnham

If you count those up, it's 18.

You forgot Proto Barclay (19). Speaking as someone who's a little more casual, there's 11 new decently obtainable characters. I excluded pack only characters and most 5*'s. Kept Q and Cornwall because they're free or almost free.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    So people should stop suggesting new crew in multiple different threads?
  • Options
    Dralix wrote: »

Riiiiight - like that will ever happen?!

We only have 146,292 crew left for DB to bring into the game! (Rough estimate)
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    Hunter247 wrote: »

One event this year was a rerun with only one new crew. (Now the last of the mega might count except technically those characters were released on Dec 28th when the event started)

Triple Threat 2 --- Torchbearer Voq
    Infinte Contentions- Mariachi Q, Tourist Quark, Grad Burnham, Florist Q, Prisoner Burnham
    We Are Who To Die - Gladiator McCoy, Tsunkatse Seven and Duelist Yar.

Now I didn't include any pack only characters as I've not kept track.

I count that as 9.

You have not included the chars from the recent event (all three of which were new Mother Horta, Dr Gillian and Proto Barclay)

Likewise I forgot about the new Voq
  • Options
    ProsserProsser ✭✭✭

If they stop releasing Janeway's, you could cut that number in half!
  • Options
    Just putting it out there: Just because new crew get added doesn't mean they need to be collected.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite on this, because I'm in a comfortable grind of 'grab the 4*, level the 4*, freeze the 4*' regardless of who the 4* is, but we're long since past the point where a lot of these characters are redundant for gameplay purposes. Dr. Gillian Taylor isn't likely to show up in a lot of events, her stats are meh and there's a whole world of other SCI/MED combo 4*s.

Having said all that, I enjoy having at least one existing crew in events most weeks. If I have the crew, great, I get to use him/her! If I don't, I get to fill a gap in my collection! There's no downside.
  • Options
    I just don't understand why this is a problem. There's no reason a player should expect that they will be able to acquire and finish every single card released right away. I'm all for increased diversity and appreciate new cards whenever they put them out. I actually don't want any player to get them all, but if you choose to buy them all more power to you. I believe being able to easily acquire and complete all available crew immediately would make those player's decks so much stronger than everyone else's it would ruin the game for the other players.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point, what is the point of the game besides card collecting? As Frank mentioned, DB has often talked about shifting the focus of the game, but they have failed to deliver each time and instead have increased the rate of new crew. Based on their recent behavior we should expect more of the same going forward. This is a card collecting game, any activity done is for the sake of collecting new cards. If you don't want to collect the cards, then the game has nothing to offer.
  • Options
    Prosser wrote: »

If they stop releasing Janeway's, you could cut that number in half!

Not before we get Burnham Janeway. I'm saving up so much DIL for her.

Some people actually like Janeway. I actually like Burnham and think Discovery is a great show, as do many others.
  • Options
    Speaking of Janeway...which Janeway are we getting this mega event? My money is on undercover Andorian Janeway
  • Options
    Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does totally new crew each event affect crew sharing for squad leaders? Now it just becomes a "scrape whoever you can with shared traits off the bottom of your shoe and throw them in there" kind of thing.