Home The Bridge
Options

Endless New Crew

Comments

• Options
    Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best I can forsee, this pace of 15-20 new cards per month will continue, as it has roughly been the pace of the last two years (averaged). I think there is probably less than 10 people that, before this morning, had all available crew cards. Not even the biggest of names you know from the game have accomplished that. So it's likely a player that isn't active on the social front that just silently plays and collects.

Even still, it's not a sustainable model for the individual player to try and keep em all. At the end of the day, all that matters is that you the reader play the game you want to play, and I'll play the game I want to play. I hope you enjoy your version, I tend to enjoy mine.

Most days.
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't constant new characters/ships the main premise of the entire game? Why is this an issue?
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    At this point, what is the point of the game besides card collecting? As Frank mentioned, DB has often talked about shifting the focus of the game, but they have failed to deliver each time and instead have increased the rate of new crew. Based on their recent behavior we should expect more of the same going forward. This is a card collecting game, any activity done is for the sake of collecting new cards. If you don't want to collect the cards, then the game has nothing to offer.

You are pretty much assuming everyone plays for the same reason and has been here since the beginning. Lots of new players join all the time. I've only been playing for around a year, and don't care at all about collecting. I finish easy duplicates all the time for the achievement, and I like completing the cards that I do get. If my enjoyment of this game became solely about collecting, then I would quit, as I don't collect things or gain pleasure from having collections. Also, I don't know of many card collections where there's an expectation of acquiring everything. That strikes me as a slightly entitled viewpoint. I'm not trying to be supercritical, just point out there are other players besides you who might think differently.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does totally new crew each event affect crew sharing for squad leaders? Now it just becomes a "scrape whoever you can with shared traits off the bottom of your shoe and throw them in there" kind of thing.

No, it becomes a buy packs/$100 offer on Wednesday and level them for Thursday thing. The better to pad DB's bottom line.
  • Options
    Nicole KNicole K ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    How does totally new crew each event affect crew sharing for squad leaders? Now it just becomes a "scrape whoever you can with shared traits off the bottom of your shoe and throw them in there" kind of thing.

No, it becomes a buy packs/$100 offer on Wednesday and level them for Thursday thing. The better to pad DB's bottom line.

That wasn't required in the last event. I had so many cards with bonus traits that I was hitting 90+% preboost on every 4000 point mission that I ran. I bought no packs or $100 offer and never would. Neither would most players.
  • Options
    Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Nicole K wrote: »
    I just don't understand why this is a problem. There's no reason a player should expect that they will be able to acquire and finish every single card released right away. I'm all for increased diversity and appreciate new cards whenever they put them out. I actually don't want any player to get them all, but if you choose to buy them all more power to you. I believe being able to easily acquire and complete all available crew immediately would make those player's decks so much stronger than everyone else's it would ruin the game for the other players.

The CEO of the company called it a collecting game where players try to collect them all and stated that the collecting of crew is the bulk of the company revenue.

I have no problem with players that have everything having a stronger base vs. a player who doesn't. The players with a strong base (that is, they are collecting them all) are the players that are paying for the game which allow the free-to-play players to enjoy the game without spending money. If there were no advantage to spending money and getting them all, players would stop doing so and the game would die.

I would think the game dying would ruin the game for other players more than someone else having a stronger deck would. :)

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no problem with new crew coming in. Frankly, I'd like to see one existing crew used in 1-2 non-rerun events each month. We at one point usually got 3 out of 4 new events with 1 existing crew and 2 new crew. (Not always but usually)

That IS a change from the pace of last year.

Frank, based on your recollection and numbers stating that the pace hasn't changed, are you saying there were more pack only characters last year?
  • Options
    Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they use light sabres when they dissolved the council? :p
  • Options
    The 35 slots I bought during the slot sale in mid-December only ended up lasting me until the first week of January before I was back to vaulting/airlocking people.

The slot problem creates a real sunken-cost fallacy in this game.
  • Options
    I want even more new crew. I am sick of repeat crew.

I have never had a crew slot issue in over 2 years. My airlock button stays warm. I throw out who i don't want at the time and keep who i like.

Eventually they will come around again and i may level them when that occurs.

Ive had crew I've airlocked over 20 times before deciding to level them.

This is not a quick play game. I am in for the long haul.
  • Options
    Did they use light sabres when they dissolved the council? :p

LOL. Nope. They told us in the Line group we used for communication (DB owned the group) that the council was being dissolved. This happened after council made an issue public on the forum. They said there were no hard feelings followed by "Nod deleted player name from the group" for all the members of the council. They said they would be reforming/revamping it in a a few weeks. That was probably a year and a half ago.

I still have the entire council line group thread, from start to finish, on Line and occasionally look it over for old-times sake.

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    izausome wrote: »

I have never had a crew slot issue in over 2 years. My airlock button stays warm. I throw out who i don't want at the time and keep who i like.

I’m the same way only if I don’t like them I never keep them. I’ve been playing well over a year. Have all the 1-4 star crew I am a fan of immortalized. 14 immortalized legendaries and many more with 1-4 stars. I have never once bought crew slots. Currently I am at 160 out of 175 slots filled. Someday I may have to buy some but it doesn’t look like anytime soon.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Just cause you hate so many characters doesn't mean we all do.
  • Options
    I just don't understand why this is a problem. There's no reason a player should expect that they will be able to acquire and finish every single card released right away. I'm all for increased diversity and appreciate new cards whenever they put them out. I actually don't want any player to get them all, but if you choose to buy them all more power to you. I believe being able to easily acquire and complete all available crew immediately would make those player's decks so much stronger than everyone else's it would ruin the game for the other players.

The only issue I have with all the new crew is that the pool is so diluted that I'll never get the older cards I want to finish. When I started almost 2 years ago, I got Admiral Nachayev 3 times in my first 5 Golds(the other 2 were Mirror Regent Worf and Tempted Data). since then, I have pulled something like 80 Legendaries and not 1 more Nachayev or Worf. The only way to get another star on them at this point is to spend 50k honor - which takes forever to trickle in. at this point, I need something like 6 million honor to Immortalize my legendaries. With limits on crew space, adding so many crew is counter-productive. I stopped buying packs because I only have 5 slots left. The only ones I'll buy are event packs for faction missions so I can at least kick the weekly 4* out the airlock if his stats are bad.
    Immortalized crew count:
    27×1★; 45×2★; 72×3★; 121×4★; 14×5★

FE, not fused crew count:
    0×2★; 0×3★; 18×4★; 21×5★
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I’m the same way only if I don’t like them I never keep them. I’ve been playing well over a year. Have all the 1-4 star crew I am a fan of immortalized. 14 immortalized legendaries and many more with 1-4 stars. I have never once bought crew slots. Currently I am at 160 out of 175 slots filled.

Well if you have more than 60 slots, you've bought crew slots. You just did it via VIP level rather than directly :p

• Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Its ok to punt characters if you don't mind waiting. There's a few 4*'s that I could've had FF or didn't have to spend honour on but I still got them anyways.

I kinda regretted not trying for Benny Russell when he first came out. Just got him on Monday. Patience is a virtue.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m the same way only if I don’t like them I never keep them. I’ve been playing well over a year. Have all the 1-4 star crew I am a fan of immortalized. 14 immortalized legendaries and many more with 1-4 stars. I have never once bought crew slots. Currently I am at 160 out of 175 slots filled.

Well if you have more than 60 slots, you've bought crew slots. You just did it via VIP level rather than directly :p

It’s like those buy now and get this free kind of things. Plus a few times they have given us 5 free slots. I don’t look at it as I bought them because I would have spent that money on what I was spending it on. The crew slots were a FREE add in

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »

Its ok to punt characters if you don't mind waiting. There's a few 4*'s that I could've had FF or didn't have to spend honour on but I still got them anyways.

I kinda regretted not trying for Benny Russell when he first came out. Just got him on Monday. Patience is a virtue.

Punt = don't want in my book. I'm glad you're ok with that. I'm not. If I have the character and I'm putting in effort to immortalize and freeze, especially if its from a pack I paid something for, I should be able to keep up and hang on to it.

Having the occasional (1-2 times a month on the new events) existing character shouldn't be that much of a burden for those folks who only want new shiny.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve only airlocked two purple or gold crew because I didn’t have the slots to keep them: Convergence Day Quark and Rianna Mayweather (I’ve since gotten Rianna from a voyage). I’m currently at 181/190 slots (having finally gotten around to optimizing my cadet mission crew) and don’t feel particularly stressed, even though more than half of those are partially-fused with limited hope of ever being FFed.

What helps is simply not getting every single new crew: I have only once finished in the top 1000 of an event, rarely buy character packs, and rarely do more than get a few thresholds in Galaxy events. It means I don’t have either of the Torchbearer Uruk’Hai or a litany of other event legendaries, and that’s okay for me.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve only airlocked two purple or gold crew because I didn’t have the slots to keep them: Convergence Day Quark and Rianna Mayweather (I’ve since gotten Rianna from a voyage). I’m currently at 181/190 slots (having finally gotten around to optimizing my cadet mission crew) and don’t feel particularly stressed, even though more than half of those are partially-fused with limited hope of ever being FFed.

What helps is simply not getting every single new crew: I have only once finished in the top 1000 of an event, rarely buy character packs, and rarely do more than get a few thresholds in Galaxy events. It means I don’t have either of the Torchbearer Uruk’Hai or a litany of other event legendaries, and that’s okay for me.

Again, so the secret to success is to intentionally fail, lol.
  • Options

Again, so the secret to success is to intentionally fail, lol.

#Fail2Win

On that tangent, after more than two months I finally failed enough Section 31 missions to get back to the 10min/1hr missions. One of my proudest in-game accomplishments to date.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    "Endless" new crew and a finite amount of crew slots to put them in, is just one of the baked-in ingredients of the game which requires strategy, planning, and a fair bit of discipline. Now, granted, being VIP14, I do have more total slots than many, but not as many as some do. However, that doesn't mean I don't have to keep an eye on things. I have a lot of "decent" crew who I nonetheless keep in the freezer 24/7, unless I need them for an event. If they're immortalized and I don't use them once a week on average, there's a good chance they're going into cryo.

I have acquired all the rares that I care about, and aside from a few new ones like Florist Q, have immortalized all of them, as well. Other than those, I only keep active the ones I need for Arena and weekend challenges. In addition, I have 7 cadets in my active roster for the weekday challenges. Although I did space a lot of crew in my first half-year of playing (out of necessity), I haven't airlocked many new crew at all for the past 6 months, at least. And right now, I have 20 empty slots. There are still a lot of 4's and 5's that I'd love to have, but since I have a lot of space, I know I'll have plenty of room for any new ones I get, even if it takes a few weeks to immortalize them.

The only problem I have with there being so many new crew is that it will take a while to get them all leveled up. I don't know the exact numbers offhand, but I'd say that perhaps a fourth of my active roster still needs to be FE. But I have an informal friendly competition going with a fleetmate, to see which of us can get all of our active crew FE first, so at least that makes a fun challenge out of that issue. (Game on, Todd! >:) )

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    It's on the old forums, but there was a time where the user-base cried out due to the new influx of crew - in the first year of the game - and DB said "we hear you, we will slow it down".

Then, there was a separate public communication, again on the old forums, that said that the scope of the game would be shifting from releasing all the new crew to releasing fewer crew in smaller limited batches, but focusing on overall gameplay dynamics and fleet based activities (fleet v fleet stuff).

None of that has materialized, and we are today at 493ish crew.

Yeah, but they promptly, replaced/demoted that guy right after he said that.

They just don’t make GOT over at DB, they are GOT.
    “You over there with the good ideas. Sit down before we have to kill you”

• Options
    At this point, what is the point of the game besides card collecting? As Frank mentioned, DB has often talked about shifting the focus of the game, but they have failed to deliver each time and instead have increased the rate of new crew. Based on their recent behavior we should expect more of the same going forward. This is a card collecting game, any activity done is for the sake of collecting new cards. If you don't want to collect the cards, then the game has nothing to offer.

You are pretty much assuming everyone plays for the same reason and has been here since the beginning. Lots of new players join all the time. I've only been playing for around a year, and don't care at all about collecting. I finish easy duplicates all the time for the achievement, and I like completing the cards that I do get. If my enjoyment of this game became solely about collecting, then I would quit, as I don't collect things or gain pleasure from having collections. Also, I don't know of many card collections where there's an expectation of acquiring everything. That strikes me as a slightly entitled viewpoint. I'm not trying to be supercritical, just point out there are other players besides you who might think differently.

I play to win, (I'm just competitive that way). But this game is designed such that winning is impossible. Even if I had every Crew Card FF/FE, and every Ship level 10, and every extra crew slot, finished every Episode, etc, etc. I still wouldn't be "winning". LOL
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I play to win, (I'm just competitive that way). But this game is designed such that winning is impossible. Even if I had every Crew Card FF/FE, and every Ship level 10, and every extra crew slot, finished every Episode, etc, etc. I still wouldn't be "winning". LOL

And still wouldn’t come first in events. Annoying that you can put a ton of money into getting great crew and still have to pay money if you want to win an event
  • Options

And still wouldn’t come first in events. Annoying that you can put a ton of money into getting great crew and still have to pay money if you want to win an event

Not true. Several past winners have been F2P, so therefore possible. I doubt that could happen again given all the changes in the last 6 months from DB, but it has been documented.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    One upside is the sheer quantity of choice. There are a few people out there who ditch Discovery characters. Great! It's always better for me during those events as I love them and they give me bonuses in some events other people don't have.

I have stepped out of events if my resources are short or I'm not interested. That makes me stronger for the events that I am interested in, and gives other people an opportunity to play for what they want.

The more variety people have of crew the better imo.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭

Not true. Several past winners have been F2P, so therefore possible. I doubt that could happen again given all the changes in the last 6 months from DB, but it has been documented.

I would say it would be virtually impossible now especially on faction events where you can struggle to be competitive with four shuttles full of bonus crew (one of our fleet asked the head of the leaderboard how they managed to have hundreds of thousands of VP within less than an hour of the event starting! And they basically run doubles and instantly complete with dil)

If you saved crons for months on end you might be able to win a galaxy event with F2P but you start at a major disadvantage especially against the legendary event crew that can be bought up front