Home The Bridge
Options

Spoilers Discovery Crew Spoilers (Seriously don't risk it!) Spoilers!

GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in The Bridge
I bet you clicked it anyway. So here, I'll double bag it. Please be current on Star Trek Discovery.
So it's looking like Discovery is the kind of show that isn't afraid to kill/twist main characters. Which is funny, because DB keeps releasing Discovery crew with SUPER MEGA POWER CREEP ONE MILLION! I mean, I would understand if the highest CMD score in the game was someone like Sisko, who led entire fleets into war. Or a doctor like the EMH, unparalleled. But more than that, they were characters we at least got to know!

Its hilarious that our highest base doctor, Doctor Culber, barely got 5 episodes of screen time.
Lorca, highest combined CMD, turned out to be a Terran impostor.
T'Kuvma barely lasted an episode.
And don't even get me started on Ash Tyler/Voq.

Who wants to bet Admiral Katrina Cornwell bites the dust soon? DB just signed her death warrant.

Comments

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet you clicked it anyway. So here, I'll double bag it. Please be current on Star Trek Discovery.
    So it's looking like Discovery is the kind of show that isn't afraid to kill/twist main characters. Which is funny, because DB keeps releasing Discovery crew with SUPER MEGA POWER CREEP ONE MILLION! I mean, I would understand if the highest CMD score in the game was someone like Sisko, who led entire fleets into war. Or a doctor like the EMH, unparalleled. But more than that, they were characters we at least got to know!

Its hilarious that our highest base doctor, Doctor Culber, barely got 5 episodes of screen time.
    Lorca, highest combined CMD, turned out to be a Terran impostor.
    T'Kuvma barely lasted an episode.
    And don't even get me started on Ash Tyler/Voq.

Who wants to bet Admiral Katrina Cornwell bites the dust soon? DB just signed her death warrant.

Lol and I thought my Epic Fail theory was a bit much..... lol you're idea is awesome.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Also taking into account that this series plays before the others I defo see your point. But there are 2 perspectives: The perspective of us users. Who see these things with "passion", as fans. And the business perspective of DB. What happens with the stats is completely normal in mobile games (or also in other businesses like mobiles, TV´s etc.). Stats gets bigger all the time. So especially people who want the best of the best will first buy the first batch of characters. And than after the power creep you mention more. As said: Completely normal business for DB. And since Discovery is the first fresh Star Trek show in over a decade that focus makes even more sense for them. Personally I am glad DB gave us Star Trek in enjoyable gaming form.

And yes, while plainly going by your reasons some stats make no sense, but this is a game of the franchise, not the franchise itself. So for me it is ok. After all this is only a game, not life and death. And while my med crew is fine by now I appreciate Cornwell being a monster with it. From a gameplay point of view she will have much use. Now let´s see about your prognosis :p
  • Options
    Actually, no, the power creep isn't my real point. My point is basically that they keep dying!
  • Options
    It could have been worse.
    At least they didn't eat those crew, unlike Georgiou and Random Mirror Kelpien.
  • Options
    I bet someone clicked...and clicked again....read it....and is now salty they got spoiled. Lol.
  • Options
    Yeah what is it with Discovery and eating people. That is so weird.

Has any other Trek series had an intelligent species eating another intelligent species before?
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dpmt wrote: »
    Has any other Trek series had an intelligent species eating another intelligent species before?

I can't remember if it was stated outright or just implied, but didn't the Anticans eat one of the Selay delegates on TNG? I seem to remember some fans complaining about it back when it aired, but I could totally be remembering wrong...
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phlox are weird stuff but they were just leaches and worms. Klingons are Targ which were supposedly also their dogs. If someone tried to eat my dog they would taste a cold steel blade
  • Options

Would you count the Episode "Phantasms" where in Data's dream state Crusher was sucking out Riker's brains through a straw?
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    [TFA] CaptainObvious[TFA] CaptainObvious ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Would you count the Episode "Phantasms" where in Data's dream state Crusher was sucking out Riker's brains through a straw?

And, even more deliciously...

duedkn9y2pwg.jpg
  • Options
    I would totally eat Mirror Inquisitor Troi.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, no, the power creep isn't my real point. My point is basically that they keep dying!

Yes, that is what I meant with let´s see about your prognosis. By what happened so far it has merits for sure :p But you also spoke much about the seemingly illogical distribution of power. In case they should introduce 6 star crew at one point maybe your wishes of Sisko and EMH becoming ultimate power beasts could still happen...
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭

That is so going to be *moderated* ...
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

That is so going to be *moderated* ...

I thought the very same thing!!!!!!

Well, both things.......
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phlox are weird stuff but they were just leaches and worms. Klingons are Targ which were supposedly also their dogs. If someone tried to eat my dog they would taste a cold steel blade

I'm pretty sure targs are just the only animals on Qo'noS :P

Targs are seen as both pets and food, and whenever there's a story about a Klingon farm, or any sort of hunt, it's always targs.

The closest thing I can think of to the whole "eating intelligent life/sapient beings" thing is the Tosk episode, but there was never an indication that they were eaten.

Klingons technically also ate the hearts of their enemies, so there's that too.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    rrj5ypebadx4.gif

Klingon food is not all just Gagh and Targ’s Hearts... Pipius Claw, Bregit Lung...
    But the real elephant in the room is no one is asking what does Kelpien taste like?

And no, I don’t think it tastes like chicken.

xwyropy7k5h7.jpeg

Judging by the photo, it looks like ganglia might taste like jellyfish or maybe squid...

mmmm... calamari... speaking of which...

31ajl21d50wm.jpeg
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    In the case of (Prime universe) Captain Georgiou, I think the Klingons ate a lot more than just her heart ;)
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irial wrote: »
    In the case of (Prime universe) Captain Georgiou, I think the Klingons ate a lot more than just her heart ;)

I think that was their point, that this was anomalous limited to the current series. Or was asking if it was.
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really get the reactions to the devouring of people. For the Klingons, it seems in keeping with what we've been told about their cultural history. Plus, it's unclear whether that was even a norm for all Klingons. Maybe it was some kind of fundamentalist thing of T'Kuvma's that Voq followed but mainstream Klingons had reduced to just eating the heart.

I keep thinking of what Kang said in "Blood Oath" about Klingons serving food to the grandsons of men he'd killed in battle. For all we were always told about Klingons being brutal, we rarely saw much of it for ourselves. Mostly, we just heard about their reputation for brutality. TNG and DS9 rehabilitated them so much that they became more like a red state than the Red Scare. The Disco Klingons are the first Klingons in the canon that I've found genuinely imposing and make me uncomfortable the way I was always told Klingons were and should make me feel.

As for the Terrans, they're pretty ruthless and depraved. Also, we don't know anything about Kelpiens except that even in our universe, they're a species of prey. It's entirely plausible that there's a predatory species in both universes that introduced the Kelpiens as being little more than lobsters who can fetch things for you before being served with fava beans and a nice chianti. Whereas our people likely said, "Whoa, that's messed up", the Terrans said, "Okay, but have you tried grilling them?"

Ultimately, it's less about Klingons or Terrans and more about how cannibalism is one of the few remaining taboos for us that actually still make most of us squeamish. It says something about us that the Klingons and Terrans have exhibited this behavior because we have become so desensitized to all the myriad other cruelties that there aren't many ways left for storytellers to actually get through to us that our values are not universal and that our moral compass isn't the only one? Isn't this simply another instance of Star Trek holding up a mirror for us?

Your post is wonderful and I agree with many (if not all) your points, but I do want to point out one aspect regarding the reaction.

I've never had a particularly strong reaction to Klingons eating hearts. That always seemed to be part of who they are, but also seemed to be more of an "old way" of doing things. We never saw Martok or Worf do it for instance, but the DS9 versions of Kang et al discussed it at length. In essence, it was part of their past, and was also so ceremonial, it didn't seem as disrespectful if that makes sense? In that they didn't eat their heart because they didn't acknowledge their worth/existence as a sapient being, they ate their heart to solidify their victory. Them eating Georgiou was an extension of that, but made more extreme because it no longer seems quite as ceremonial, and more just lions feasting on their prey.

As for the reaction to the Terrans eating Kelpians...well this is humans we're talking about now. That hits harder. Also, I at least have grown fond of one Kelpian, my favourite Disco character in fact. It was sad enough seeing him enslaved, but then his question to Michael about what Kelpians were like in the Mirror Universe, followed by Georgiou offering Michael some ganglia...it was sad and horrifying. Basically, there's an emotional attachment to humans, and an emotional attachment to at least one Kelpian. As opposed to an alien species (Klingons) who were originally villains eating the hearts of people they went out of the way to describe as their enemies that they defeated in glorious battle.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    So wait, is this debate about eating the enemies you've slain? Or is it about eating creatures that are, for all intents and purposes, on the same mental level?

Imagine, if you will, a world where pigs and cows could communicate with us. Do you think we'd stop eating them? I probably would.

Off-topic, have any of you ever seen SyFy's "The Magicians" TV Show? They had the same ethical debate about having s-e-x with conscious animals!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So wait, is this debate about eating the enemies you've slain? Or is it about eating creatures that are, for all intents and purposes, on the same mental level?

Imagine, if you will, a world where pigs and cows could communicate with us. Do you think we'd stop eating them? I probably would.

Off-topic, have any of you ever seen SyFy's "The Magicians" TV Show? They had the same ethical debate about having s-e-x with conscious animals!

Your point is valid. If pigs and cows could talk I would not eat them

• Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that's very much the point being made; that we may be more accepting, as @For Cardassia stated, when it's The Other doing it than it is when We do it, and also when we have an attachment to Who or What is being eaten. But should we make distinctions between The Other eating Georgiou's corpse or Terran Georgiou eating Mirror Saru? (To complete the circle of life, I think our Saru now has to eat Mirror Voq.)

Also, it occurred to me that I'd forgotten something Voq said to L'Rell about not wanting to eat Georgiou because doing so failed T'Kuvma's fundamental puritanism, so I was demonstrably wrong about Voq & co. doing that because of T'Kuvma. They did it in spite of T'Kuvma, which of course was done to emphasize their desperation, that not only did they eat Georgiou's corpse, but that they violated their fealty to T'Kuvma to do it.

This still doesn't establish how mainstream an idea it was, though it does point more explicitly to it having been an act of desperation. Which, really, makes the Terran serving of Kelpien even more grotesque because that's done merely because it's tasty and Kelpiens don't merit any further regard. At least Voq put off eating Georgiou at all for a week.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that's very much the point being made; that we may be more accepting, as @For Cardassia stated, when it's The Other doing it than it is when We do it, and also when we have an attachment to Who or What is being eaten. But should we make distinctions between The Other eating Georgiou's corpse or Terran Georgiou eating Mirror Saru? (To complete the circle of life, I think our Saru now has to eat Mirror Voq.)

Also, it occurred to me that I'd forgotten something Voq said to L'Rell about not wanting to eat Georgiou because doing so failed T'Kuvma's fundamental puritanism, so I was demonstrably wrong about Voq & co. doing that because of T'Kuvma. They did it in spite of T'Kuvma, which of course was done to emphasize their desperation, that not only did they eat Georgiou's corpse, but that they violated their fealty to T'Kuvma to do it.

This still doesn't establish how mainstream an idea it was, though it does point more explicitly to it having been an act of desperation. Which, really, makes the Terran serving of Kelpien even more grotesque because that's done merely because it's tasty and Kelpiens don't merit any further regard. At least Voq put off eating Georgiou at all for a week.

Puritanism to me implies that he didn’t want to taint his body with the filth of a human

• Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    bjzbb7qdq8g8.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Your point is valid. If pigs and cows could talk I would not eat them

3alm60tq3jf8.jpeg

I think Zaphod Beeblebrox said it best... “Better than eating an animal that doesn’t want to be eaten.”

I still think ganglia probably tastes like Ika... (squid sashimi) because that’s what it looks like... Then we can have Roast Porg for the main course...

As long as my Kelpiens are organic, gluten-free and sourced locally, I’m good.
  • Options
    NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    Soylent Green is Vulcans.

Ow, ow, ow, ow...
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Mega spoiler, don't read this as it has not happened yet, and is a major spoiler.
    Nope, she goes mad, her mind is wiped.

Really don't read this.
    Admiral Cornwell is Lethe from TOS. Lethe was a therapist on Tantalus Penal Colony.
    Cornwell had a large part in the DIS episode "Lethe"

350?cb=20120215194857&path-prefix=en
    350?cb=20171119190714&path-prefix=en