Home The Bridge

So seriously, couldn't she just be Admiral Katrina Cornwell?

GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in The Bridge
Hear me out. Sure, they've given her the "Prisoner" schtick so they can tack a SEC skill on her, and possibly make some of the items Klingon. (Haven't FE'd yet so let me know.) Great. But was that really necessary? Couldn't we have just gotten Admiral Katrina Cornwell with the same stats (and maybe the Doctor trait???) anyway?

Why did she need to be a prisoner again? It doesn't seem like the prisoner version means anything to their story. "The crew of the U.S.S. Discovery was enjoying a reception in their honor."

I hope this starts to make more sense. Call me a nitpicker, but I don't like seeing the word Prisoner come up first every time I open her card. Which I will likely do a lot, considering her stats.

Maybe it was because the artwork looks like someone who just got the *hug* beat out of them?

Comments

• Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Also she's not a medical physician. The Doctor Trait refers to practicing medical physicians and perhaps evil geniuses who want to take over the world and/or galaxy.

9zimylhd9f7x.jpeg
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call me a nitpicker, but I don't like seeing the word Prisoner come up first every time I open her card.

That does sound nitpicky. Not to mention arbitrary.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Ivanstone, she's a psychologist. Plus she was a psychologist before she was an Admiral, and she'll be one after. The MED trait seems pretty apt regardless of what they choose to call her.

I still say it was the artwork. They took one look at that border collie looking face and said "yikes, looks like she just spent weeks in a Klingon prison."
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Admiral Cornwell would be CMD/DIP/SEC(or MED)
    Ambassador Cornwell would be DIP/CMD/MED(or SEC)
    Prisoner Cornwell is a character version that needed to use her psychiatric knowledge, negotiation ability and some fighting ability to get herself out of a tough situation. So she is MED/DIP/SEC. Evidently DB wants to give us a high MED character.

Also she's not a medical physician. The Doctor Trait refers to practicing medical physicians and perhaps evil geniuses who want to take over the world and/or galaxy.

She is a Psychiatrist:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Katrina_Cornwell

Psychiatrists ARE Medical Doctors:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Psychiatrist
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan just posted

Federation and Counselor traits were added to Prisoner Katrina Cornwell
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Ivanstone, she's a psychologist. Plus she was a psychologist before she was an Admiral, and she'll be one after. The MED trait seems pretty apt regardless of what they choose to call her.

Certain instances of character may lose traits and skills depending on the character. I illustrated the 3 different Cornwell's because each highlights how they use their training in one particular instance.

Durango Troi, as an example, is not a MED or a Counselor.
    Psychiatrists ARE Medical Doctors:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Psychiatrist

For purposes of the game, the Doctor Trait is reserved for Body Meat Practitioners and/or Evil Geniuses. Brain Meat Practitioners receive the Counselor Trait instead.

The former should probably receive the Physician (and/or Evil Genius) Trait instead.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    DB wanted to highlight her abilities in a couple episodes instead of the entirety of the season and having her a prisoner worked into the storyline they wanted to tell. Without "Prisoner" status as an Admiral she would have to have strong command. DB listened to our complaints about all the Command Legendaries and so found a way for her to be Med/Dip/Sec. DB listened, be happy! :)

Agreed. DB showed that they are paying attention to us here on the forums on this one.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, at least her name didn't end up being this mouthful...

osbvlagrbep1.jpg

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Bet Cornwell will be Discovery's new captain which is why she's this month's 5*
  • IkritIkrit ✭✭✭

Dr. Hippocrates Noah, anyone?
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    DB wanted to highlight her abilities in a couple episodes instead of the entirety of the season and having her a prisoner worked into the storyline they wanted to tell. Without "Prisoner" status as an Admiral she would have to have strong command. DB listened to our complaints about all the Command Legendaries and so found a way for her to be Med/Dip/Sec. DB listened, be happy! :)

Agreed. DB showed that they are paying attention to us here on the forums on this one.

She could have been Med/Com/Dip. There is a precedent to having Admirals that aren't Com primary:
    Admiral Janeway is Sec/Sci/Com.
    Admiral Picard is Dip/Sci/Com.
    Admiral Kirk is Dip/Com.

I would just like to have someone with strong Med and Cmd, other than BO Troi.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ikrit wrote: »

She could have been Med/Com/Dip. There is a precedent to having Admirals that aren't Com primary:
    Admiral Kirk is Dip/Com.

The big noise the majority of noisemakers were makin was simply Med primary. Achievement unlocked
  • It is a legitimate question, why we were given Prisoner Katrina Cornwell instead of a more catch-all Admiral persona. The one thought that I had was that "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" and "Into the Forest I Go" was a pivotal arc for Cornwell. It put her directly into the story beyond boardroom and bedroom meetings. We haven't seen her since her rescue, except for a brief teaser for this upcoming episode. It's easy to see that the Cornwell we'll meet up with again in a few days will be one dramatically changed by that experience (compounded with nine months of warfare interest).

Then again, maybe they just wanted to have a variant name for Cornwell with her jacket unzipped.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a legitimate question, why we were given Prisoner Katrina Cornwell instead of a more catch-all Admiral persona. The one thought that I had was that "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" and "Into the Forest I Go" was a pivotal arc for Cornwell. It put her directly into the story beyond boardroom and bedroom meetings. We haven't seen her since her rescue, except for a brief teaser for this upcoming episode. It's easy to see that the Cornwell we'll meet up with again in a few days will be one dramatically changed by that experience (compounded with nine months of warfare interest).

Then again, maybe they just wanted to have a variant name for Cornwell with her jacket unzipped.

I almost feel like the "Prisoner" moniker is more to fit in with the story of this event, than it is to honor any version of her in Discovery. For one thing (not really a spoiler at this point, so no tags here), I don't recall her ever carrying a Mek'leth when she was a prisoner on the show, as she holds in her artwork within the game.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Data1001 wrote: »
    It is a legitimate question, why we were given Prisoner Katrina Cornwell instead of a more catch-all Admiral persona. The one thought that I had was that "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" and "Into the Forest I Go" was a pivotal arc for Cornwell. It put her directly into the story beyond boardroom and bedroom meetings. We haven't seen her since her rescue, except for a brief teaser for this upcoming episode. It's easy to see that the Cornwell we'll meet up with again in a few days will be one dramatically changed by that experience (compounded with nine months of warfare interest).

I almost feel like the "Prisoner" moniker is more to fit in with the story of this event, than it is to honor any version of her in Discovery. For one thing (not really a spoiler at this point, so no tags here), I don't recall her ever carrying a Mek'leth when she was a prisoner on the show, as she holds in her artwork within the game.

Plausible theory is plausible. I don't recall clearly enough, but I feel like maybe Cornwell plucked a mek'leth off a fallen Klingon at some point? I don't recall her using it, if she did. Though now it also occurs to me that the artwork really should have been of Cornwell shouting in L'Rell's face:

aebfc4mkxpx5.jpg
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Ikrit wrote: »

Admiral Kirk is Dip/Com.

An Admiral is a command position, its pretty safe to assume that any admiral is not practicing their previous specialization anymore and would not have it as a main skill. Diplomacy is a fitting admiral's skill. Security less so although in Janeway's case its more representative of what she was doing in that episode rather than any duty related to her rank.

There aren't a lot of Command/Medics in Star Trek. Its a side effect of all of the main bridge characters not being medics. There are some characters that don't have good representations at high rarity. CMO Crusher, Pulaski and McCoy should all be CMD/MED in part. Eventually we'll get a Captain Crusher, Admiral McCoy and maybe a Rear Admiral Cornwell.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Hey, at least her name didn't end up being this mouthful...

osbvlagrbep1.jpg

THIS! This is exactly why I started this thread. Because all of the equipment looks like they started with Admiral and haphazardly added the word Prisoner in front of everything at the last minute.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree to a Point, I think they should keep the prisoner and drop the Admiral, after all
    if klingons won the war, Starfleet was defeated, then what is she an Admiral of exactly?
    DB: Do Better
  • Jim Steele wrote: »
    I agree to a Point, I think they should keep the prisoner and drop the Admiral, after all
    if klingons won the war, Starfleet was defeated, then what is she an Admiral of exactly?

The Klingons did not win the war. They are winning the war. She is still the admiral of fleet engaged in a war who’s outcome is TBD.
    edited February 2018
    Plus she was rescued 9 months ago. So we presume she's been "Admiralling" all this time since then.
    Poorly, it seems, from the outcome.